AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Utawarerumono

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-06, 15:19   Link #101
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Meh. I always thought of it as U-TA-WEAR-RU-MAH-NO.
Old 2006-08-06, 16:01   Link #102
PGilis
B-Gamer and anime otaku

Send a message via Yahoo to PGilis
Chronicles of the Shadow Warrior... what warrior? Who? Hakuoro? It don't makes any sense...

If they will put another title, why not something more according the show, like... 'Chronicles of the White Emperor', 'the masked Emperor' of something like that?

Not only the shitty title, we can fear they rename all the characters or make a really bad dubbing;

And what if they censor the series too? They can remove many great but questionable (to them) scenes like:

*Karura and Kurou dismember enemies;
*Touka fast killing techniques;
*Oboro f****d by the twins;
*Removing all the insinuations about the twins' genre (they can be boys, remember?);
*Niue's insanity;
*All the killings during wars;
*Karura trying to seduce Hakuoro;

I'm afraid they will make a really good series like UTAWARERUMONO and turn into something bad.
Old 2006-08-06, 16:20   Link #103
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

this kind of behavior towards the Japanese language and culture is plain ignorance and insolence

U-TA-WA-RE-RU-MO-NO is hard to pronounce in any language, you are obviously acting biased.

of course, i agree Chronicles of the Shadow Warrior is a pretty stupid name for the series. however, i think they are obviously trying to aim for the general population and not otaku-ish people who play leaf games.

probably people who watch stuff like ninja scroll, evangelion, or rhaxepheon is who they are catering to.

if they had translated the title to like, "Something to be admired" that might not sell well to the general populace, and would definately only be bought by people with nekomimi-fetishes, especially if eruru or aruru were on the disc cover. people would definately think its a fan service show and not the war type show it actually is and thats why i think the naming was chosen.
Old 2006-08-06, 16:32   Link #104
Satsume
Baka Ranger Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGilis
Chronicles of the Shadow Warrior... what warrior? Who? Hakuoro? It don't makes any sense...

If they will put another title, why not something more according the show, like... 'Chronicles of the White Emperor', 'the masked Emperor' of something like that?
Yeah, I don't get where they're getting "shadow." Ninjas fly through my head every time I think about it! Chronicles of the Masked Warrior would even be okay for me.

Utawarerumono was tough to read or remember, let alone say, at first. Now I'm just used to it. xD
Old 2006-08-06, 16:42   Link #105
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Oh come on people, this is getting a bit ridiculous now. Why would they censor a straight to DVD release? This isn't 4kids. This is ADV, and they licensed Elfen Lied of all things. They're not going to censor anything. They also wouldn't be stupid enough to go changing all the names - they'll probably be pronounced horribly wrong, but they'll be there.

And like LytHka says, it really isn't that hard to pronounce after you've listened to the ending song a few times and can break it down into syllables, ADV just know most people won't even try. If only the anime con naming logic of 'let's just use a Japanese word, people will think it's cool!' applied here.
Old 2006-08-06, 16:49   Link #106
LytHka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit
U-TA-WA-RE-RU-MO-NO is hard to pronounce in any language, you are obviously acting biased.
http://www.lythka.com/dl/karaoke/utawarerumono.mp3

I guess that about wraps it up? Check my location where I'm from. Very hard to pronounce in any language? Didn't you mean to say very hard to pronounce for any foreigner? But that's obviously not the case. You guys are just freaks for not even *trying* to pronounce these things correctly.
Old 2006-08-06, 17:06   Link #107
sasuke13
Jyuunana Bunkatsu

Send a message via AIM to sasuke13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LytHka

I guess that about wraps it up? Check my location where I'm from. Very hard to pronounce in any language? Didn't you mean to say very hard to pronounce for any foreigner? But that's obviously not the case. You guys are just freaks for not even *trying* to pronounce these things correctly.
Foreal now, ADV just probably want to make the title easier to say -_- i mean it's like how people are too lazy to sound out a difficult last name in roll call at schools and just say ur first name *cough*
Old 2006-08-06, 17:17   Link #108
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:

No need to throw out a bit of insults about it. People who are really into anime and watch a lot of fansubs like many forum goers here can get the name down after a bit, but for commercial liscensed anime, it might be a little intimidating, you could say, to some people browsing around for a new anime to check out at a retail store. Still, I do think a better name could have been opted. Someone mentioned "Chronicles of the Masked Warrior" and that wouldn't be bad, IMO. Really, what I think would be ideal is if they had the western orientated name, and then as a sub title "Utawarerumono".

I do hope ADV pulls off a good quality dub. They have done very well with FMP and FMP Fumoffu and several comedies, I think they can definately do it if they put the money and effort in it and get good and talented VAs. I hope this is the case, and I have some confidence this will be the case, as ADV need to make some more big hits in the western market, and Utawarerumono is a good series for them to have, so I think they will dedicate good effort to make the localization well.

I don't think it will be like how Bandai handled Mai Hime. I had hoped that they would make the dub really good for it, considering how they did so well with the Wolf's Rain dub and Cowboy Bebop dub, but apparently, Bandai USA put little effort into localizing Mai Hime. The sub aspect is below average, and they hired a lot of amateurs for the cast of characters, many of which had never done voice acting in anime before Mai Hime. Apparently, as they started localizing Mai Hime, they also started localizing Eureka 7, and it was apparent they were much more adament in doing a great localization for that, putting Mai Hime on the back burner. They enlisted a lot of VAs who were experienced, and advertised it more, for example. I hope ADV does not do what Bandai did with Mai Hime for localization. I hope ADV does the series justice, and dedicate the efforts and funds to make it a good localization for western markets, and there is a good chance they will. And I'm glad to see it picked up by ADV, they are one of the best for the western anime market, and have a good track record of quality localization of anime series, OVAs, and movies.
Old 2006-08-06, 17:38   Link #109
Satsume
Baka Ranger Tao

I guess I see the point now. The title Utawarerumono is a little intimidating. If it were introduced into America using that name, I think viewers would be discouraged from watching. Changing the name to something in English is a smart thing to do! Also, ADV does do a decent job when it comes to dubbing. I enjoyed the FMP dub very much!
Old 2006-08-06, 18:15   Link #110
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

Normally I might agree but methinks you'd be stunned at the lack of worldliness of american joe sixpack who might pick this up at the video store. "Uta ... Uta ... what the **** is this, Marge?" The average educational level here is being beaten by more than a few 3rd world countries (24th by country at the last test check). ((just got back from a day shopping and at the mall where one can observe this phenomenom firsthand))

I'd say using the romaji title "Utawarerumono" with some english subtitle (Blade of the Phantom Mask) would work fairly well. The jacket cover would have to emphasize both the combat and the babes though...... :\

Most of my experience with ADV is through their disaster of a manga section .... the few DVD titles I've purchased were well packaged, the video was good quality and they did provide the JP+subtitle option so you didn't have to hear mediocre voices reading their badly scripted lines in english. Sorry... but the more english dubs I hear the worse my attitude gets about how they must spend almost $10-$20 on their dub. Much as I poke at Disney, they handle their internationalization and their english dubs with as much care as the original language.

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-08-06 at 18:29.
Old 2006-08-06, 18:16   Link #111
PGilis
B-Gamer and anime otaku

Send a message via Yahoo to PGilis
I still think the tittle "Chronicles of the White Emperor" is more fitting. Not only Hakuoro is a great leader, but he is all the time dressing that white and blue clothes.

And if i remember well, 'Hakuoro' means "white emperor", right?
Old 2006-08-06, 18:58   Link #112
roxybudgy
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to roxybudgy Send a message via MSN to roxybudgy Send a message via Yahoo to roxybudgy
About the title, I'm guessing it's supposed to be a reference to what is said at the end of the game, so when choosing an alternative English title, perhaps ADV should consider something like that. But then again, the anime series hasn'y finished yet.
Old 2006-08-06, 19:43   Link #113
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7
I don't think it will be like how Bandai handled Mai Hime. I had hoped that they would make the dub really good for it, considering how they did so well with the Wolf's Rain dub and Cowboy Bebop dub, but apparently, Bandai USA put little effort into localizing Mai Hime. The sub aspect is below average, and they hired a lot of amateurs for the cast of characters, many of which had never done voice acting in anime before Mai Hime. Apparently, as they started localizing Mai Hime, they also started localizing Eureka 7, and it was apparent they were much more adament in doing a great localization for that, putting Mai Hime on the back burner. They enlisted a lot of VAs who were experienced, and advertised it more, for example. I hope ADV does not do what Bandai did with Mai Hime for localization. I hope ADV does the series justice, and dedicate the efforts and funds to make it a good localization for western markets, and there is a good chance they will. And I'm glad to see it picked up by ADV, they are one of the best for the western anime market, and have a good track record of quality localization of anime series, OVAs, and movies.
I didn't think Bandai's local release of Mai-HiME was that bad, but I seem to be a lone voice with this opinion and I have a feeling that part of it was that I had such low expectations for the dub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGilis

Not only the shitty title, we can fear they rename all the characters or make a really bad dubbing;

And what if they censor the series too? They can remove many great but questionable (to them) scenes like:

*Karura and Kurou dismember enemies;
*Touka fast killing techniques;
*Oboro f****d by the twins;
*Removing all the insinuations about the twins' genre (they can be boys, remember?);
*Niue's insanity;
*All the killings during wars;
*Karura trying to seduce Hakuoro;

I'm afraid they will make a really good series like UTAWARERUMONO and turn into something bad.
God, what pre-historic age are you living in? Respectable dubbing companies (and I'm not talking about 4kids) haven't been doing things like this for years. Watch a recent local release from ADV, Funi or Genoen. There are no cuts, no censoring, no character name changes. The sub script is almost always perfectly loyal and the dub script is generally as loyal as the English language will allow. These companies aren't marketing exclusively to non-anime fans... most of their money on these types of releases (ie, anime that don't go to CN or similar) comes from people who have seen the fansub release and they've learnt over a decade ago that to properly market to such fans, they need to make their releases as loyal as possible to the original. Christ, I always get annoyed by such reactions to the announcement of a license... it reeks of raving fanboy-ism and zero experience with local releases.
Old 2006-08-06, 20:01   Link #114
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

^

I still like the Mai Hime dub a little bit, but with dub jobs like Wolf's Rain, I had hoped they could do well with MH. But with the way the dub is, the original Japanese voice acting version is definately the way to go with this series. They did really well, really did the multiple characters great, and did the dramatic scenes so well. I wonder how the English VAs are going to do when it comes to the very dramatic moments near the latter half of the series.
Old 2006-08-06, 20:15   Link #115
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K
I always get annoyed by such reactions to the announcement of a license... it reeks of raving fanboy-ism and zero experience with local releases.
:Applaudes:
Thank you. You, sir, get a rep point for speaking above the reckless unfounded criticism

The only things that bother me about Uta being licensed are that I can't get it on AnimeSuki anymore and the English title (if Shadow Warriors is indeed the title) sucks.
Old 2006-08-06, 20:19   Link #116
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
what pre-historic age are you living in?
Nothing quite like a good rant! Bluntly put, of course, but I do agree. When it comes to license announcements, these boards thrive on good old "FUD". Then again, I guess it's not surprising, given the amount of people who value fansubs more than commercial releases of any kind (be they R2, R1, whatever). Oh well...

Quote:
I didn't think Bandai's local release of Mai-HiME was that bad, but I seem to be a lone voice with this opinion
Lone no longer, for what it's worth. It's really not that bad, but that's a whole other discussion.

Anyway, all that aside, I'm looking forward to this release. The fact that it's coming so quickly after airing is just great - so often we have to wait years for a license announcement, not to mention the first disc. If every series were available on R1 DVD as quickly, I'd be pleased as can be. I'm curious to see what they're going to do for a box; seeing as the Japanese discs are coming in four two-disk sets, I imagine they might come up with a new single box design to house all (probably 7?) R1 discs? Also curious as always about what DVD extras they might translate and include. In any case, this is the type of show I can see doing well even among more casual English-speaking anime fans, so I'm glad ADV's bringing it over. Now I can get more people hooked on this show.
Old 2006-08-06, 21:29   Link #117
saravis

Hmm I'm thinking there may be slight changes in the names for pronunciation purposes. (Maybe just the spelling of the names) Names like Karura, Eruruu, and probably others would sound strange pronounced in english context.
As far as the title goes, that I don't get. Shadow Warrior Chronicles is not only a stupid name, but a rather misleading one, as everyone has already brought up. Also, though, it's a completely unnecessary change; Utawarerumono is not a show for youngins who'd have difficulty pronouncing the name; little kids who are trying to tell their mommy what other cartoons they want to get after Yugioh and Pokemon. Utawarerumono is for an older more serious audience who would not have difficulty remembering the name. Ah whatever, what's in a name?
Old 2006-08-06, 21:34   Link #118
Lost

Well, the new title will be a great opportunity to pick up the babes.

Chick: I just started watching this great anime called Shadow Warriors!
You: Heyy!! I watched it back when it was stilled called Utawarereryuumomom..reomo..moMONO.
Chick: Loser..

Okay maybe not.
Old 2006-08-06, 21:53   Link #119
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:

haha thats great thanks i wasnt sure how the pronouciation sounds but that has shown me the light

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-08-06, 22:44   Link #120
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravis
Hmm I'm thinking there may be slight changes in the names for pronunciation purposes. (Maybe just the spelling of the names) Names like Karura, Eruruu, and probably others would sound strange pronounced in english context.
As far as the title goes, that I don't get. Shadow Warrior Chronicles is not only a stupid name, but a rather misleading one, as everyone has already brought up. Also, though, it's a completely unnecessary change; Utawarerumono is not a show for youngins who'd have difficulty pronouncing the name; little kids who are trying to tell their mommy what other cartoons they want to get after Yugioh and Pokemon. Utawarerumono is for an older more serious audience who would not have difficulty remembering the name. Ah whatever, what's in a name?
I don't mind if the mess with the names a bit. Japanese isn't known for its accurate representation of non-native names, after all

Maybe Karla, Eluruw, Aluruw, Oblo (Oh blow = gay joke :P) Tuskur, etc. would be nice.
Closed Thread