AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-11, 15:57   Link #41
Jarlax
The Lightning Alchemist

Send a message via AIM to Jarlax Send a message via Yahoo to Jarlax
No it'll probably be sweat. Well i'm just glad that i got ep 31 downloaded yesterday. too bad i recently lost 12-26...
Old 2004-05-11, 16:07   Link #42
Hakashin
Mukenin

Send a message via AIM to Hakashin Send a message via Yahoo to Hakashin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlax
No it'll probably be sweat. Well i'm just glad that i got ep 31 downloaded yesterday. too bad i recently lost 12-26...
Sweet? Not for me. I can't afford the DVDs (and don't really want to buy them if Funi is the one getting money anyhow -_-;; but I'd buy em if I had the money) ... My TV is too old to properly hook up to my PS2, so it doesn't show DVDs at full quality... and Funimation has the license to it so ... how can you expect it to be "sweet" in any form? It's sweet the way it is!! They should leave it alone! XD
Old 2004-05-11, 16:15   Link #43
silentpixel
Champloo Addict

Send a message via AIM to silentpixel Send a message via MSN to silentpixel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeellis01
I did... but i totally agree with avmoghe: Original language is always better.
I agree with you. Lets just hope they do a good a job with it like they did with bebop. But then again i think thats hoping for to much.
Old 2004-05-11, 16:15   Link #44
Mb81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravi-T
Everyone has probably has read the news about FMA being licensed (if you haven't: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...7&page=1&pp=20 ).
This thread isn't about the licensing. It's about dubbing. Please don't close it!

How do you think FMA would sound if it was dubbed? I don't think it would be THAT bad. Compared to what they would do to Naruto if it was being dubbed. "Shadow Clone Technique!".

All characters in FMA have English names (more or less) and will be easy for American voice actors to pronounce (unlike "Uzumaki Naruto"). Edward Elric and Alphonse Elric.

Okay, I'm not sure if Cartoon Network will dub this (I don't have CN and have never had it), can anyone else tell me if the dub other anime shows? Also, when the DVDs comes out will it include the English dub?

Plus all the writing in FMA (such as letters, signs, books) are in English. LOL, even I paused the episode to see how the Japanese wrote their English. ^^
I guess FMA is the perfect series to dub. No foreign names (if you don't count all the Europeanesque names and places), it's all in English except for the voices.

Will CN do a good job by dubbing it (if they ARE dubbing it)? Well that remains to see...
From my outside view (since english isn`t my home land language lol..) and my impression of gundam seed (on CN) i think they`ll do a average job. I had no problem with the seed dub. The translation was fine. I´d just had the feeling the voice actors itself could had done a little more professional job compared with the orignal version (let`s say it doesn`t touch me yet.. LOL).

Anyway, i want the openings. It should not be a big deal for Funi to get one song license more or less. Even an english opening song version would be fine (better than nothing..). The new edited ending in GS on CN was crap...

http://www.gundamseed.de
http://www.fullmetalalchemist.de

By the way; anyone interessed in making an english ffa fanpage ? I thinking about it.
Old 2004-05-11, 16:23   Link #45
neoko

it's going to be a while before they release it via DVD, stupid americans have to dub it before they release it on DVD and that normally takes 10 years. You wonder why gundam wing was just released a year ago on DVD in Australia. Feck.
Old 2004-05-11, 16:34   Link #46
Hakashin
Mukenin

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentpixel
I agree with you. Lets just hope they do a good a job with it like they did with bebop. But then again i think thats hoping for to much.

Let me just get something straight here. Funimation had NOTHING to do with the dubbing of Cowboy Bebop. Funimation -sucks-. Funimation are a bunch of money grubbing capitalists who wish to addict young audiences and then as they grow hook them on the other titles they release slightly less child-ized. They want nothing but money. They probably don't even love the animes which they so brutally massacre and turn into childrens' toys. Cartoon Network does not dub anime. The closest Cartoon Network has ever come to dubbing anime was helping out to produce Big O.
Old 2004-05-11, 16:41   Link #47
aznpunk97

NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooOOOOOOOooo OOOOOOOOOooooOOOOoo OOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOooooo....

OOOoooO.... oooOOooo...

i think i'm commit suicide... no more FMA until fall/2004.... i live to watch FMA.

without it, might as well die!

farewell fellow alchemists.... please try not to bring me back to life as it's not worth it... i don't want another homungules running around...
Old 2004-05-11, 16:43   Link #48
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
First, funimation does NOT grind up shows like 4Kids. They've changed names in the dub (only in Detective Conan) and their other, smaller releases have been unaltered entirely. And DVD releases are not altered (Funi did release edited dvds, marked "edited" on the front cover. I believe they have stopped.)

I expect that FMA will air slightly edited as necessary on CN, but the story will be unaltered. It might air alongside SEED for the better part of a year. Then the inevitable DVD release a few months later will be entirely unedited with English and Japanese audio with English subs.

Current expectations show January 2005 for the first disc.
Old 2004-05-11, 17:16   Link #49
Hakashin
Mukenin

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
First, funimation does NOT grind up shows like 4Kids. They've changed names in the dub (only in Detective Conan) and their other, smaller releases have been unaltered entirely. And DVD releases are not altered (Funi did release edited dvds, marked "edited" on the front cover. I believe they have stopped.)

I expect that FMA will air slightly edited as necessary on CN, but the story will be unaltered. It might air alongside SEED for the better part of a year. Then the inevitable DVD release a few months later will be entirely unedited with English and Japanese audio with English subs.

Current expectations show January 2005 for the first disc.

*sigh* You protect them yet they just want us true fans to spend money for the non-crappy dvds which come out so slowly ... and the only reason we buy them is because of Funimation's poor dubbing quality... Also, they do change names of characters when they see it appropriate. They changed Bra's name in Dragonball GT to "Bulla." Language pronunciation conversion mistake? I'd think not ... since Trunks and Bra's names were meant to be funny when you look at them together... I don't know what Funi was thinking when they took this anime ... other than money money money... I certainly hope they don't get Naruto. That will be a sad day indeed if they do. I wish someone like Pioneer or ADV Films could've gotten this series ... mleh...
Old 2004-05-11, 17:19   Link #50
Spooky-Electric

I hate dubs so I could care less about watching anime on TV. Just give me a good DVD release.
Old 2004-05-11, 17:29   Link #51
Hakashin
Mukenin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky-Electric
I hate dubs so I could care less about watching anime on TV. Just give me a good DVD release.

If I could afford the DVDs, I'd buy them ... but they also come out so slowly ... I hate our materialistic society ... If I knew Japanese I'd have no problem ... XD

I wish there was a "Free, Non-profit Subtitling Law" which allowed anyone to subtitle shows on public/cable television from any nation as long as the group that does it is not making profit directly from the subtitled content itself. It'd be a great way to escape from being forced to buy the dvds to escape the poor dubbing of characters. The characters usually end up with so much less enthusiasm than the original voice actors ... Why should we have to pay for something that others can watch for free just for the benefit of having the subtitles?
Old 2004-05-11, 17:46   Link #52
DryMaltExtract
Huge Member

Quote:
But for every new anime fan in America, there are several new people who find out about anime because of the anime series on TV and immediately begin stereotyping it as some weird kiddie cartoons that losers watch.
Uh yeah, anime fans in japan aren't exactly super charismatic cool-guys, they're society's outcasts, there's just more of them. (See: Genshiken and RL)

Also, anime isn't some high and mighty art form. The plot of all the anime for quite some time have been the same clichés over and over, still enjoyable for the most part however(though I find myself hating a good 28 out of 30 of the new shows every new season).

If you take everything anime has, it's still childish, it's just higher grade, somewhat, than American cartoons and still enjoyable. (I can't seem to find/be bothered to find the words I'm looking for to describe my thoughts on this subject so I'll just stop here.)
Old 2004-05-11, 17:54   Link #53
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
ill get over fullmetal getting licensed because it was my 3rd favorite on my list....
i just hope onepiece and naruto doesnt get licensed...
Old 2004-05-11, 18:48   Link #54
UssoKK

Poor little 14-year old Al better not have a *Booming, deep, manly voice* just b/c he's in a suit of armor....

I'm still VERY upset about this...but mabye It'll be Okay if this ends up on Adult Swim......
Old 2004-05-11, 19:13   Link #55
Masenko
マセンコ。

Well, just the same way they ruined Shaman King, they will probably ruin this...Everybody was hurting after the Tao Ren > Lenny, etc etc translations. But I think they will mess up with the VAs like they always do. Anybody seen the english Azumanga? Atrocious...
Old 2004-05-11, 20:35   Link #56
tkcom
Killjoy-sama

Ironically, FMA in Japan airs at 6pm on Saturday with full load of violence...

...while FMA in USA might air around midnight with some violence possibly edited out.

6pm on Saturday makes US audiences look like sad little crybabies.
Old 2004-05-11, 20:40   Link #57
Youko Recca
Breakdancing Samurai

Besides the wait that will follow, this is the best news I've heard all day.Except of coarse...I already know ahead of time but good all the same.
Old 2004-05-11, 20:49   Link #58
Ral
Idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masenko
Well, just the same way they ruined Shaman King, they will probably ruin this...Everybody was hurting after the Tao Ren > Lenny, etc etc translations. But I think they will mess up with the VAs like they always do. Anybody seen the english Azumanga? Atrocious...
What does Shaman King have to do with this? 4kids were the ones who dubbed it, not Funi.

I'd have to agree with Recca, I got pretty excited when I heard that Funi got it. I don't see what the big deal with Funi is? Sure, there DBZ was horrible at first but they've improved and they've kept improving. Some people seem to think that DBZ is there only dub and judge everything from Funi from that. Funi keeps the original story, use original music, and they release uncut videos. I'm also fine with dub voices. They may sound different at first but I easily get use to them. I'm looking forward to seeing this on t.v.
Old 2004-05-11, 20:52   Link #59
Procrasti

Quote:
Originally Posted by otakreg
I've seen good dubs like FLCL and Cowboy Bebop. I've never seen a dub that I would consider to be better than the original Japanese, but... some dubs are okay. And the setting of FMA is very western, as seen not only in the architecture but also in the characters' names and the English writing, so it would be a pretty good anime to dub...

But Funimation is doing the dub. It will be shoddy at best. It will PROBABLY be terrible.

And I definitely won't thank CN for getting more fans... the cool thing about anime is that it's Japanese and totally different (and better) than American animation. If it becomes mainstream, well, let's just say that the more popular anime gets, the more people look down upon it. In America, animation is traditionally for kids... except for comedies like The Simpsons and Futurama and Family Guy that forcefully prove that they're not for kids through vulgarity. (Not that I have a problem with this.) But for every new anime fan in America, there are several new people who find out about anime because of the anime series on TV and immediately begin stereotyping it as some weird kiddie cartoons that losers watch.

I have to agree with your hesitation about anime becoming way too mainstream and the consequenses of the "mature" people looking down on the art of animation itself. I have already received some flack from some "friends" that look down on "all that cartoon junk". I have time and time again tried to explain all the hard work that animators put into making "cartoons" and how some of those works can be quite philosophical and just plain beautiful (i.e. Evangelion or Princess Mononoke) and yet they still scoff at me.

Did I mention that some of these unfeeling jerks are actually die-hard Simpsons and Family Guy fans? What's their defense? "That's different. The Simpsons and Family Guy are parodies of a common American town and life with many pop-culture references and the humor makes you think and some shows are pretty emotional (Lisa's bonding time with Homer resulting in a Egyptian Exhibition break-in at the museum). My response? "What's the difference between that and a love comedy like Love Hina? Both sets of characters are outrageous and the settings are beautiful and emotions are very heavily conveyed in both! The only difference? The style of animation and the context of the so-called cartoons."

The big separation by those "mature" individuals and us anime-watching "losers" is just a simple matter of preference and absorption to a culture. Personally I like all types of animation and appreciate all the hard work put into the process--be it Spongebob Squarepants or Noir, as long as the story isn't boring then it's worth watching.
Old 2004-05-11, 20:54   Link #60
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

Funimation....why of all the companies...why oh why does it have to be funimation...I dont even want the dvds anymore...

I'm sorry but I'm a very pessimistic person when it comes to American VA and I will have to say FMA will sound like DBZ now with everybody sounding like a toad...ugh I'm too disgusted to even think about it...

Procrasti - Your friends may say that Simpsons and Family Guy is a "grown up" cartoon but all it is is a political satire. I must make this clear but anime is not "cartoon". IMO it deserves a category of its own as the amount of variety and the age group that views these are very wide and numerous. Also anime makes up a huge chunk of Japanese industry so comparing that to american cartoons such as...what was it called....spy girls or something....is ludicruous. Tell those friends of yours to get their facts straight before they start talking trash (no offense )
Closed Thread