AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-05-17, 09:32   Link #381
Shadow5YA

That was a waste. They pretty much said they're saving all their big announcements for E3.

The only new games they announced were Sonic Lost World and Wonderful 101 from Platinum Games, and even then they're saving the info for E3.

I am interested in what they mean with their Best Buy partnership though. Does that mean we can check out newly released info in Best Buy stores worldwide when E3 comes?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-17, 09:34   Link #382
Sides

Yeah, only announcement that took me by surprise is RRG(yakuza)1&2 HD, never would have imagine that the series would be released on anything else but sony consoles.

Last edited by Sides; 2013-05-17 at 09:46.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-17, 10:25   Link #383
Westlo
Lets be reality

lmao @ this weak ass direct.

They spent 10 minutes talking about a late port of this for crying out loud.

Meanwhile Nagoshi already hinted he's working on a PS4 game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
That was a waste. They pretty much said they're saving all their big announcements for E3.

The only new games they announced were Sonic Lost World and Wonderful 101 from Platinum Games, and even then they're saving the info for E3.
Wonderful 101 has been announced for a long time, it was a launch window game, L O L.

Anyway EA are trying to dreamcast this.

Less than two years after vowing to deliver on an "unprecedented partnership" with Nintendo, gaming giant EA is quiet on the Wii U front.

"We have no games in development for the Wii U currently," company spokesperson Jeff Brown told Kotaku yesterday.

Edit - omg I'm dead, the wizards @ gaf have done it again, this gif too good.

http://www.abload.de/img/wiiu-dies-in-the-swamxdu1e.gif

Last edited by Westlo; 2013-05-17 at 10:59.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-17, 11:22   Link #384
Chase

I only cared that the The Wonderful 101 finally got a release date.
Battlefield 4
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-17, 13:22   Link #385
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Anyway EA are trying to dreamcast this.

Less than two years after vowing to deliver on an "unprecedented partnership" with Nintendo, gaming giant EA is quiet on the Wii U front.

"We have no games in development for the Wii U currently," company spokesperson Jeff Brown told Kotaku yesterday.

Edit - omg I'm dead, the wizards @ gaf have done it again, this gif too good.

Fixed, [img] for images

EA are doing some changes after that guy left, the same guy that promised WiiU support. The only reason why NFS:MW made it was becasue of that guys agreement, so it is probably the last EA game that we see for a while.
The only think nintendo can really do is support japaneses developers and publishers. Western studios and publishers are too unreliable for long term partnerships, just see how many western studios have bitten the dust last generation and sega's disaster with gearbox, besides that rayman fiasco.
Not saying that western studios or publishers are bad, but they are culturally different, and it shows.

I wonder if Konami, or anyone else, could get fifa license for teams and players for a Wii U football games, like for PES, considering that there will be probably no FIFA game for nintendo consoles anymore. I really hope that EA don't hold them hostage just to flex it muscles and FIFA themselves haven't opt themselves to such thing.
Old 2013-05-17, 14:18   Link #386
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
EA are doing some changes after that guy left, the same guy that promised WiiU support. The only reason why NFS:MW made it was becasue of that guys agreement, so it is probably the last EA game that we see for a while.
The only think nintendo can really do is support japaneses developers and publishers. Western studios and publishers are too unreliable for long term partnerships, just see how many western studios have bitten the dust last generation and sega's disaster with gearbox, besides that rayman fiasco.
Not saying that western studios or publishers are bad, but they are culturally different, and it shows.
The budget money chasing that Western devs have done this generation has been incredibly damaging to the industry. The fact that even Eastern devs felt they had to do the same to "keep up", and in turn damaged themselves, is equally as sad.

EA's been declining for a while now. They get a few fresh things going, but overall it's just milking the same stuff year after year with poorer results each time. If they didn't have those exclusive sports licenses, they'd be screwed, in my opinion. The competition would have eaten away at their profit margins much faster.

It's not smartphones, tablets, or an aging generation that has screwed a lot of these publishers, it's been awful management. Out of control budgets and unrealistic sales expectations have created a graveyard of dead companies, more than we've seen since the 80's. As a result the console industry has consolidated like never before, and everyone is nervous about the future. A lot of hope is being placed on the next Sony and MS systems, but I doubt they'll set the world on fire, and many publishers seem to fall in line with that thinking because they aren't exactly rushing to abandon the old in favor of the new.

The Wii U has been a poorly handled system, to be sure, but I think Nintendo will still salvage it with some strong titles and aggressive partnerships, however I think the industry is in for a wake up call. The gaming market has changed and the economy is just not healthy enough to support all of these systems nor sell like the PS2, DS, or Wii did. I expect far more modest sales after the initial hype wears off after the holidays. There's only so much money to go around and there's more choice than ever before. The kind of gamers that Sony and MS attract are still as niche as ever, and console gaming is no longer the only major player in the video game market.

It may be ironic, but Nintendo's approach with the Wii U, if they can get the marketing figured out, a steady stream of games coming, and more Eastern support, might end up being one of the few bright spots in the coming decade. Unlike Sony and MS, they don't have anything left if the console market tanks, so a healthy Nintendo is a good thing for the industry. If they can continue to produce games and hardware, there's always room to sustain and grow the market.

On the other hand, I don't think many people will miss the monstrosity that EA has become.
Old 2013-05-17, 16:22   Link #387
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
On the other hand, I don't think many people will miss the monstrosity that EA has become.
I miss the EA that risked to bring us stuff like Mirrors Edge and Dead Space for a while, it's a shame that the will to appease the short-term views of the shareholders killed that EA with such haste. They almost managed to make me forget what they did to Maxis and Westwood with those bets... Almost...
Old 2013-05-18, 05:57   Link #388
Sides

Small interview on siliconera with some key people at silicon stuido, article on siliconera
It actually talks about their engine, for people who don't know,Silicon Studio are the makers of Bravely Default and 3D Dot heroes, besides providing middleware tools and engine for other developers.
Worth reading if you are interested in this kind of stuff. Looks like Epic Games have a new serious challenger coming from japan, providing a multiplatform engine for licensing.
Old 2013-05-18, 06:44   Link #389
Key Board
Carbon

From what I've heard, EA and Nintendo's quarrel was over Origin

http://venturebeat.com/2011/11/15/ni...80%99s-origin/

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/08/ea-origin-wii-u/

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/ni...eal.452607225/
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 08:22   Link #390
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Those rumors may have some truth to them, but I don't think it was the only factor if it was ever a factor. EA was hoping to get in the ground floor of the Wii U, because like most large publishers, they totally ignored the Wii and missed its biggest sales window during the first few years.

The Wii, like it or not, was the dominant console for most of the last generation. It sold great, sold a lot of software, and for the developers that rode it out, made a lot of bank for Nintendo and those parties.

The problem is that Nintendo completely botched the launch of the Wii U. The console name and shell/design was poorly selected and marketed, confusing consumers who thought it was just another attachment for the old Wii. The launch window was unimpressive, mostly older ports and "minor league" first party efforts. It really needed a bigger push. None of the software demonstrated the "need" to have a tablet controller, unlike Wii Sports and motion controls.

There's more of course, but Nintendo for some reason did not understand how to reconnect with the home console market after letting the Wii die off, and it shows. If I'm EA, a risk averse company already losing money on big AAA products, it's just too much to ask to support something so....unknown. Much like Ubisoft moving Rayman Legends multi-plat, business is business. EA probably should have understood that you can't blame Nintendo consumers for not buying your products, you have to build that trust and ecosystem which has largely been lacking for over a decade now. Ubi, Activision, and others do still support Nintendo because they've kept up support in some fashion and know how to build on their efforts. Konami is probably the only strange holdout but their efforts last gen weren't exactly amazing for any platform.

But all of this demonstrates the flip in the market since the days Nintendo was the dominant console company. Third parties now hold tremendous sway, instead of the other way around as it used to be. And Nintendo themselves have had a lot of relationship repairing to do....a slow process not helped by their sometimes confusing decisions.

I think EA will return to Nintendo consoles soon, but they've got their own problems to deal with. However I doubt the relationship is any worse than its ever been....EA is a bit like Nintendo in that they do their own thing and somehow they manage to do just fine.
Old 2013-05-18, 08:37   Link #391
Shadow5YA

I'm still waiting for those big first party Wii U titles, but Nintendo is still holding out on any news until E3...
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 14:42   Link #392
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

In the first place, I don't have any interest in EA's games, so I wouldn't care less what happens to them. Just waiting for Smash Bros and Monolith. Then I'll think about buying the system.
Good thing about Nintendo consoles. No matter what happens, at least you know their games are gonna come out on their console. And Nintendo games always maintain a level of quality.

Anyways, while I look forward to E3, since Nintendo isn't doing the stuff in a broadcasted conference, I'm not sure how much of their stuff will make it online. I'm not going to travel just to go see Nintendo's booth or whatever companies do at the E3.

PS: The Lego game looks surprisingly fun.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 18:17   Link #393
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I don't know why anyone would be surprised that a console that's essentially another Xbox 360/PS 3 when the PS 4/Xboxwhatever is coming out this year isn't doing well.

It's going to be difficult to make games cross platform for all 3, which means Nintendo will be the odd man out for niche games or games that don't really utilize the nature of the Wii U while being weak ports to the PS 4/Xboxwhatever.

At least with the Wii, Nintendo was able to corner the casual market (prior to smartphone/tablets starting to gobble up those sales). There's nothing casual about the pricing of the Wii Universe, however.

But, comments in this thread (and really, any thread dealing with consoles), showing extreme views that the Wii U is going to be the healthy console of this next generation really highlight how incredibly myopic console fanboys can get.

To be clear, the Wii U being a dismal failure isn't going to be the "death" of Nintendo. They have a near deathgrip on the handheld market with the 3DS, after all. I'm sure smartphone/tablets are eating into those sales, but hardcore/core gamers are still going to be using the 3DS/consoles for gaming, as there's almost nothing that's beyond casual games on the mobile market. One day that might change, but battery life is going to have to drastically improve before we start seeing games like Fire Emblem Radiance as the norm, as opposed to some stupid games about shooting birds in space.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 19:35   Link #394
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Well, you wouldn't know why because the reason it isn't selling well is the lack of games, not its specs.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 23:20   Link #395
Key Board
Carbon

I think this person raises a very good point about Nintendo's recent attempt to monetize youtube videos playthroughs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yX4i...TawC-k7PVjHXKQ

Hopefully Nintendo realizes what kind of a mistake they are making
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2013-05-19, 03:33   Link #396
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
I think this person raises a very good point about Nintendo's recent attempt to monetize youtube videos playthroughs.

The problem I see is that most of these LPs are run like a business and as such they should operate like one, like acquiring rights and pay up fees in the first place, before broadcasting anything. There shouldn't be a news about this at all. According to youtube monetisation partner program, LPs are only allowed if you have the permission of the makers/publisher of the games. So those professional LPs, aka people who are trying to make profit out of it, should have been doing this kind of basic steps in the first place. Seeing how some of them have knowledge about media broadcasting, they should have known better.

TotalHalibut's piece just really covers one aspect of the whole issue. I don't think he ever pointed out that no is affected unless they marked their channel or pieces to make money form ads. If you just upload nintendo videos without utilising youtubes money ad thing, you won't be affected. The whole thing is really about some people trying to run a business, but don't have a clue or knowledge what they are doing, like that you actually need to declare the income from the ad program, getting permission rights and copyright your stuff. All the information is available and they should read it before uploading and joining such a program.
Gameplay sharing with be included in PS4 and nextxbox, but do you guys really think sony and MS will allow you to make profit from of it without getting a slice of it?

The whole issue here is youtube, for not making it clear that by joining the monetisation program you are actually running a business, and not just a fan uploading clips anymore.
Old 2013-05-19, 03:43   Link #397
Key Board
Carbon

If I was Sony or Microsoft, then yes..

this would be a good time to clarify that I am not charging anything and they are free to monetize their own playthroughs on youtube

I'll get some good karma and smear Nintendo at the same time

What Nintendo is really doing more harm than good

Take a page from Valve, Nintendo
Old 2013-05-19, 04:17   Link #398
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post

My issue isn't that Nintendo wants add revenue for Let's Play. It's their attitude, in saying "We are only taking your ad revenue because we are being nice, we could shut you down completely if we wanted to. Aren't you thankful?"

Nintendo has decided they OWN all the Let's Plays. They just haven't shut them down yet because they are supposedly benevolent overlords. At this point casters might as well bail, because who knows what might happen in the future when Nintendo change their minds.

EDIT: IMO, I think this might be a sign of desperation. Nintendo wouldn't have done this unless the bean counters truly needed the extra cash and tried to get alternate money sources. Hate to say it, but Nintendo might b in REAL trouble if this is what they are resort to.

Last edited by Vallen Chaos Valiant; 2013-05-19 at 04:47.
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 04:51   Link #399
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Nintendo has decided they OWN all the Let's Plays. They just haven't shut them down yet because they are supposedly benevolent overlords. At this point casters might as well bail, because who knows what might happen in the future when Nintendo change their minds.
The thing is that videogame is interactive medium, but it isn't much different than from covering a song. The rendition of the cover version is yours, but the song itself still belongs to the original creator, and reason why you would have to pay up.

LOL yeah $0.005 each month is going to save nintendo
Old 2013-05-19, 05:10   Link #400
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
The thing is that videogame is interactive medium, but it isn't much different than from covering a song. The rendition of the cover version is yours, but the song itself still belongs to the original creator, and reason why you would have to pay up.

LOL yeah $0.005 each month is going to save nintendo
Bean counters and lawyers care about that $0.005 month. What they don't care, is the long term health of the company.

Everything Nintendo did was legal. But it doesn't make it any less detrimental to the company when they needed people to promote WiiU GAMES.

Let's Plays' were free advertising. Now, Nintendo wants to be paid for adverts. Legal, but foolish.

Tags
nintendo