Notices

Old 2013-03-10, 21:44   Link #1721
bastek66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Morgianna is so moe when she smiles...

Images
HEAVY SPOILER for Episode 22
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
It's just Tomato's sauce
bastek66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-11, 16:39   Link #1722
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I laughed when I saw this headline in today's Economist e-mail announcements:

"Alibaba’s new boss"

No, it's not the next dungeon boss, but the new head of China's largest Internet firm, Alibaba.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 19:23   Link #1723
bastek66

Adaptation rape confirmed
Spoiler for arghh:
bastek66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 19:48   Link #1724
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
Spoiler for arghh:
Way to shit all over Alibaba's character. Thanks God I dropped this series.
Old 2013-03-12, 20:34   Link #1725
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

That's just unreal. Definitely not going to catch up on this show. Way to ruin an awesome manga.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 20:42   Link #1726
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

What a disappointment. An anime original plot. This means they're probably not expecting to ever have a second series of the anime. I wanted to see my favourite story arc animated...

The risks of deviating so far from the series in the ways detailed above are just huge. I can't see how this can possibly end well. Might as well wave goodbye to plot and characterisation.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 20:44   Link #1727
Dr. Casey

So the season will end with Morgiana performing the final act of heroism in the series and serving as the Hero of the Day?

All is forgiven, A-1 Pictures Master Race
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 20:45   Link #1728
hawkeyesvn
The old ace of Arlington

Quote:
Spoiler for arghh:
Reading a few last lines...Great, another cliche and lame "original thing" of this anime!!!! It's like they're trying to troll all the fans hoping for a 2nd season. With this shitty thing, I now can be sure 1 thing: It's time to drop this anime, I don't think I have the strength to watch one of the best manga butchered like this.
Old 2013-03-12, 20:47   Link #1729
ChampDream
Alive

so who Idea was to give a "anime original plot" to this great series, great way to ruin it.
Old 2013-03-12, 20:55   Link #1730
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Spoiler for arghh:
I think I heard the sound of my heart breaking when I read the summary of episode 25 . I thought that shit was over with. Oh fucking hell, seriously? Of all the possibilities they could do with an anime original development they go with that? I don't mind anime original developments but in this case I just can't swallow it. orz
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 21:12   Link #1731
Dr. Casey

Yeah, I haven't read the manga but I don't like the sound of the changes either. None of this stuff would have been bad in and of itself were it in the source material (I didn't have a problem with Alibaba's "I think a part of me might still hate Haryuuku" talk with Sinbad until I came to this thread afterwards), but... it isn't. If Alibaba never viewed the guy with any disdain and took a more levelheaded stance towards the situation, well, that's that. There shouldn't be angst that isn't even particularly interesting forced into the mix.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 21:13   Link #1732
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Considering the enormous commercial potential of this series, the mad rush to finish it in 25 episodes puzzles me. You can't walk around Akiba or Ikebukuro without seeing the main trio everywhere, and the initial sales of the BD/DVD were quite good. Not many shows have the otaku/fujoshi crossover appeal of Magi, and it seems as if it should have been a long-running adaptation. Very puzzling indeed.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 21:14   Link #1733
Mura
Now or Never

Send a message via AIM to Mura Send a message via MSN to Mura
I'll finish the anime just to have it under my completed list. I was in support of the anime only because they didn't change things that happened in the manga. The fast paced wasn't anything to get mad about. Now that they'll have an anime original ending that changes things is when I can't defend them any more.
Old 2013-03-12, 21:18   Link #1734
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Considering the enormous commercial potential of this series, the mad rush to finish it in 25 episodes puzzles me. You can't walk around Akiba or Ikebukuro without seeing the main trio everywhere, and the initial sales of the BD/DVD were quite good. Not many shows have the otaku/fujoshi crossover appeal of Magi, and it seems as if it should have been a long-running adaptation. Very puzzling indeed.
I am also surprised and they did the same thing with Blue Exorcist.

Looks like being a well received shounen no longer means long running series. But at least with Magi they had more source material then Blue Exorcist.

They could have at least made it a year long series and did a few more arcs & ended on a strong one. Original endings are rarely handled well in my opinion & this one doesn't sound like an exception.
Old 2013-03-12, 21:29   Link #1735
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I am also surprised and they did the same thing with Blue Exorcist.

Looks like being a well received shounen no longer means long running series. But at least with Magi they had more source material then Blue Exorcist.

They could have at least made it a year long series and did a few more arcs & ended on a strong one. Original endings are rarely handled well in my opinion & this one doesn't sound like an exception.
Indeed, that's the key difference - Ao no Exorcist didn't have enough material for a significantly longer run. Magi has plenty. It's just strange - I can't see any way this show isn't profitable with the amount of merch they sell and a likely floor of 10k BD/DVD per volume if they followed the manga (and maybe quite a bit more).
Old 2013-03-12, 21:30   Link #1736
Kakkou
Tch.

So according to an interview between the director and everyone's favourite series composer Yoshino Hiroyuki in the same link with the summaries, their anime original development boils down to:

"We felt Alibaba was too emotionally mature so we stunted his his growth compared to the manga so that he'd be on equal footing with Hakuryu. Also we know Hakuryu is the main character of the Zagan arc in the manga but since this a two cour anime we decided to keep [the narrative] coherent by focusing on Alibaba's emotions instead." (e.g. not suddenly have a new main character in the last 8 eps)

^ NOT a direct quote, just my own TL;DR.

...SIGH.
Old 2013-03-12, 21:32   Link #1737
roon
_(:q 」∠)_ _(ФωФ*」∠)_
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
You can't walk around Akiba or Ikebukuro without seeing the main trio everywhere, and the initial sales of the BD/DVD were quite good.
Isn't that more because volumes 1 and 2 came with event tickets? IIRC volume 3 had a bit of a drop off in sales compared to the first two. Just tried to search for its sales data and it didn't even crack the top 10 during its release week, apparently... (and Amazon JP reviews are pretty bad across the board!)

Ugh, that anime original ending synopsis... I'll finish because I love Tomatsu Haruka as Morgiana, but I'll be wiping this from my memory as soon as it's over.

It's such a shame because the cast is brilliant (I think I could've gotten over my Kaji Yuuki hate if Alibaba hadn't become the only lead for the anime... the guy's pretty good in Shin Sekai Yori). I wish they had just stuck with a 1:1 adaptation, or just didn't do something original.
roon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 21:39   Link #1738
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Event tickets can only do so much, and any decline is more likely in my view to come from the fact that it was after the first several episodes were well-received that the manga faithful began to turn on the anime for sloppy animation and unexpected changes. Even so the third volume is already at 7K and will likely end up around 8, and wherever you believe the Manabi Line is these days that's certainly comfortably north of it.
Old 2013-03-12, 21:57   Link #1739
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

should put A-1 in the blacklist for any manga-adaptation anime
Old 2013-03-12, 22:10   Link #1740
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by articuzwolf View Post
should put A-1 in the blacklist for any manga-adaptation anime
That's not fair. Oofuri, their debut series as a studio and it's sequel were fantastic. They've also met with little complaints regarding their adaptations of Kannagi, Working!! and Space Brothers. Their faults may be remembered more but they're pretty competent overall. Then there's also the fact staff do not necessarily reflect the studio as a whole, etc. but this isn't the main point here.

Last edited by Kakkou; 2013-03-12 at 23:09. Reason: typos

Tags
action-adventure, fantasy, shounen