AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2009-03-04, 14:05   Link #141
sk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMelkor View Post
Didn't work for me :-/ (I'm on a Macbook Core (1) Duo, OSX 10.4). I guess I'll try compiling it myself tonight or something.
I think i found out why you can't. When i compiled i think i made a 10.5 only binary file, and searching around anime_layer's website i think the way i compile i can only make it work on my pc or similiar hardware i guess. I think i'll try another time to make a "universal" compile when i got time for it

I can give you my "compile instructions" for you if you want to try it out, at least it worked flawlessly on my system
Old 2009-03-05, 11:20   Link #142
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to anime_layer
There was a problem with my earlier build and Extended but that seems to have been fixed (I'm building mplayer svn with the ffmpeg-mt git - not the mplayer-mt git, which is synced manually with mplayer svn).

Here's the link to the binary (universal - no g3 obviously ^^):
http://mplayerosx.sttz.ch/downloads/...t_20090305.zip

Here's how it stands on my quad-core and a 10GB 1080p h264:
Code:
# MPlayer with ffmpeg-svn
$mplayer -lavdopts threads=4 -benchmark -frames 1000 -nosound -vo null
BENCHMARKs: VC:  33.620s VO:   0.002s A:   0.000s Sys:   0.556s =   34.178s
# MPlayer with ffmpeg-mt (no yasm)
BENCHMARKs: VC:  10.565s VO:   0.002s A:   0.000s Sys:   0.711s =   11.278s
# MPlayer with ffmpeg-mt (with yasm)
BENCHMARKs: VC:  10.089s VO:   0.002s A:   0.000s Sys:   0.719s =   10.810s
Not bad, I'd say.
Old 2009-03-05, 13:54   Link #143
sk3

Hehe you're the man anime_layer i'm going to test it tonight and post my results

Btw i found a bug with mplayer-mt. Can't open AVI files it crashes instantly OS X Extended (must be that B-frame bug thing no?)

UPDATE:

my results:
Code:
BENCHMARKs: VC:  11.980s VO:   0.002s A:   0.000s Sys:  18.993s =   30.975s
for a 6,54GB 1080p file

i don't really understand much of the output but comparing yours(quad) to mine(dual) i guess it's a good result

UPDATE2:

Still have the problem crashing on some AVI files

Last edited by sk3; 2009-03-05 at 14:19.
Old 2009-03-05, 17:14   Link #144
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

Benchmarks don't compare with different video files. You could do the same benchmarks with only one thread to see the difference multi threading makes.

I've seen crashes with some files, too. The one I tried worked with "-lavdopts threads=1" so I guess it's really an issue with the experimental multi threading.
Old 2009-03-06, 12:04   Link #145
voxxchubbs

anime_layer, first off, thanks for the amazing build! This latest multi-thread addition was really the only player to ever play smooth h.264 mkv's at 1080p in my laptop. Thanks alot for that!

On the other hand, I also have experienced some crashes and weird bugs. One I noted was that when playing VOB files and using mt, the video playback is glitched, with some lined distortions in the screen. I tried changing the "-lavdopts threads=1" and it worked just fine. Like you said before, it's also related to the multi-threading. Just thought I should report on that. I'm using a MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz 2GB RAM and MacOSX 10.5.

Cheers!
Old 2009-03-07, 17:14   Link #146
alamarco
Why hello there!

Thanks for the work . Downloading it now as we speak, not a fan of QuickTime .
Old 2009-03-11, 17:37   Link #147
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

After two months of neglect, I've sat down and gave Extended some love.

rev9-test1 is now available for those willing to dare some prerelease-thrill.

This version focuses on little things that were reported in the Trac. If you spot anything, don't hesitate to open an ticket there.
  • FFmpeg-MT build included
    An MPlayer build with FFmpeg-MT is now included (for the expense of G3 support - I guess no one needs that anyway). You can enable it globally in preferences under video or enable/disable it on a per-file basis in the open dialog.
  • Better filetype-, new URL support
    There were some issues with opening files and Extended wasn't able to open URLs sent form other applications at all (say, for opening an mms link from Firefox). I've added additional filetypes to be dragged onto the player window (flac, m2ts) and various url protocols (mms, rt(s)p, http, ftp, udp, cvd, dvd, dvdnav, cue, ...).
    Also, Extended locked when trying to open multiple files from the Finder - no longer. If you now try to open multiple files, it will add them to the playlist.
  • Better support for loading subtitles
    Subtitle files can now be more easily loaded when a movie is playing. Subtitles loaded using the load subtitle menu wouldn't show up in the menus and wouldn't be automatically selected (you could - if you knew you can use "j" for that).
    Subtitles loaded after a movie has started playing are now recognized correctly and automatically selected. You can also load subtitle files by dragging them onto the player or simply by opening them with Extended.
  • New options in preferences
    There are some new options: There's now an option to update to prerelease versions with Sparkle, there's an option to disable interface animations and there's an option to skip loopfilters for H264. Additionally, I've updated the selection of deinterlace filters and you can now select the custom aspect ratio set in preferences from the aspect ratio menu.
  • MPlayer build from 11th March 2009
    Fresh MPlayer build with, most notably, improvements to ASS rendering and a fix that prevented most fonts from being selected in Extended with ASS enabled.
Old 2009-03-11, 20:11   Link #148
greenskye

I'm pretty sure this is an mplayer problem and not a problem with your build, but any news on when/if ordered chapters will be supported?

I really like this feature (saves disk space) and more and more fansub groups use this now so it'd be nice to have a mac-compatible player for it.

Any news would be appreciated.

And I'm downloading Rev. 9 Test as I type. Will report back with thoughts.
Old 2009-03-12, 08:09   Link #149
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

rev9-test2 is out, only fixing a problem with Extended taking up 100% CPU after a file finished playing or was added to the playlist.
(You can update with Sparkle by enabling prerelease updates in preferences).
Old 2009-03-15, 17:51   Link #150
LordMelkor

Thanks, for the latest update!

I was wondering is there any additional parameter I can put in to have the On-Screen-Display appear for a different length time when I am in Fullscreen (right now it appears there for about 5-7 seconds, which is kinda long, I was hoping to change it to 2-3 seconds) ?
Old 2009-03-16, 16:06   Link #151
Cpuroast

A few things

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMelkor View Post
Thanks, for the latest update!

I was wondering is there any additional parameter I can put in to have the On-Screen-Display appear for a different length time when I am in Full screen (right now it appears there for about 5-7 seconds, which is kinda long, I was hoping to change it to 2-3 seconds) ?
Yup, this would be nicer.

A shorter delay for the full screen controls would be great, should be user customizable as in from 1-10 seconds.

Also concerning the full screen controls, maybe increase the transparency a bit more and possibly make it an option to control it's opacity.

On a another note,

I can confirm http://mplayerosx.sttz.ch/trac/ticket/107,

The scrubbing bar doesn't update in rev9 test1 or test2 during playback and also when using it to jump to another location on the time line.

Also, I was wondering if the preference in the "Display" option tab called "Transform, Size" was supposed to apply a specific size to the window upon loading a file. I've tried this and it always loads the file in full size, I have to hit Command-0 each to get it down to half which helps when playing back HD on small screens.

On windows in various players, they have an option to load a file for playback in windowed mode @ half size or double size automatically.

I was hoping the option present would work, but it doesn't seem to affect the window size.

Thanks again for such a great player!
Old 2009-03-16, 22:15   Link #152
Mr VacBob
yotsuba channel

Send a message via AIM to Mr VacBob
You might want to apply http://pastie.org/418373 if you're distributing mplayer-mt builds; I haven't figured out why mt+xvid doesn't work right in mplayer.

(applied it myself)

Last edited by Mr VacBob; 2009-03-24 at 13:19.
Old 2009-03-21, 00:47   Link #153
sk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpuroast View Post

On a another note,

I can confirm http://mplayerosx.sttz.ch/trac/ticket/107,

The scrubbing bar doesn't update in rev9 test1 or test2 during playback and also when using it to jump to another location on the time line.
Hi, it's been a while since i turned on my mac, and today i tested this new build and i can also confirm this behavior. Other than that, i haven't noticed anything else yet
Old 2009-03-21, 13:50   Link #154
alamarco
Why hello there!

Just a note on performance.

Loaded up a 1080p BluRay movie and there were huge problems. The audio was out of sync and happened on numerous attempts at loading the file.

The same file with QuickTime loaded fine with no audio sync issues or any playback issues. I'm using MPlayer OSX Extended rev8. I'm not sure if rev9 is fixing any performance issues, but just thought I'd let you know of this, in case.
Old 2009-03-21, 23:48   Link #155
sk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamarco View Post
Just a note on performance.

Loaded up a 1080p BluRay movie and there were huge problems. The audio was out of sync and happened on numerous attempts at loading the file.

The same file with QuickTime loaded fine with no audio sync issues or any playback issues. I'm using MPlayer OSX Extended rev8. I'm not sure if rev9 is fixing any performance issues, but just thought I'd let you know of this, in case.
Yes it should since in rev9 there's a special build of mplayer that uses multi-core to decode h264. You should try it and enabling in preferences to see the difference. I'm pretty sure that it will work

EDIT: And by the way, usually 1080 plays fine in QuickTime because it drops frames to maintain video/audio sync, i've noticed that in some files (i guess it's easy to spot frame dropping)
Old 2009-03-22, 14:28   Link #156
jalapeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk3 View Post
usually 1080 plays fine in QuickTime because it drops frames to maintain video/audio sync
Fact is that QT degrades video very well when the load is too high. It just works. For .mp4 I use it exclusively.
Old 2009-03-22, 23:15   Link #157
alamarco
Why hello there!

Thanks, guess I'll check out the beta/test .
Old 2009-03-23, 03:26   Link #158
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

Try as I may, I can't get rev9 to play anything using the new multithreaded ffmpeg. It opens a window briefly an then before the video actually starts playing, the window closes back. The log is in spoilers.

Spoiler for Log:
Old 2009-03-23, 13:17   Link #159
Mr VacBob
yotsuba channel

Send a message via AIM to Mr VacBob
Quote:
2009-03-23 01:20:21.003 mplayer[32108:6f03] *** _NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0xe4c5a0 of class NSCFString autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
The patch fixing this is in ffmpeg-mt/mt-work/mplayer.diff. I don't think it's related to that, though.
Old 2009-03-23, 14:55   Link #160
Cpuroast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
Try as I may, I can't get rev9 to play anything using the new multithreaded ffmpeg. It opens a window briefly an then before the video actually starts playing, the window closes back. The log is in spoilers.

Spoiler for Log:
The answer to that is very simple, the multi-threaded version of mplayer(with more than 1 thread enabled) is broken on anything but H.264. Try a H.264 MKV or MP4 file and it will work fine. All the files in the error logs you posted are xvid AVIs.

The whole point of multi-threaded mplayer is to handle high resolution high bit rate h.264, as in 720p and 1080p files without having to resort to 3Ghz and up Core 2 Duos.

So that's the area they are focusing on for now. I presume eventually they'll either hard disable threading on everything but H.264, or fix multi-threaded xvid/divx decoding.

Hope this answers your question.

Tags
wiki candidate