AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2008-04-23, 01:00   Link #1
Maxtro

Question Laptop: Slow video performance on battery power

I've been watching anime on my laptop for a long time on battery power. I've been able to watch H264 stuff with no problem. Just this week my laptop has been unable to sync the audio and video when it's running on battery. There is no problem when it's plugged in.

I'm running Windows Vista. I think the culprit is SP 1 which I installed a few days ago. I don't know if it's the cause but I can't think of anything else.

I've been playing with the power options and I can't seem to have any affect on playback when I'm running on battery. Is there anything I can do to get full video performance when I'm on battery mode? I had it working before for several months and something changed.
Old 2008-04-23, 01:10   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Check the Windows power settings and also see if your manufacturer has any power tools on your laptop as well. Practically all laptops will automatically underclock the processor when on the battery to save on battery and keep the system cooler (to prevent the fan from kicking in and sucking up more power).
Old 2008-04-23, 09:10   Link #3
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Having the exact same problem with mine. Now that I think about it I shoulda posted here instead of tech support. Is anyone else using vista having the same problem?
Old 2008-04-23, 10:19   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Do you have any high-overhead programs like automatic virus scanners and the like installed? How about Aero? If so, turn them off and see what happens. You can also take a look in the Task Manager to see what else you might disable. So many new computers come with a gazillion pre-loaded "crapware" items that all occupy memory and eat cycles for no good reason. All of these update alerters that run in the system tray are good examples (I'm looking at you, Adobe.).

Most reports I see about Vista talk about its high overheads in both memory and CPU utilization. One might have hoped that SP1 would help with these issues, but sometimes the fixes for earlier bugs just add another layer of code on top of the old stuff and sap performance.
Old 2008-04-23, 10:58   Link #5
Maxtro

Going through the Power Options here are some options that looks like they would make a difference.

Processor Power Management

Minimum processor state
On battery 100%
Plugged in 100%
Maximum Processor State
On battery 100%
Plugged in 100%
ATI Graphics Power Settings

ATI PowerPlay Settings
On battery: Maximum Performance
Plugged: Maximum Performance
I don't know what other settings would make a difference.

I need to check if Gateway has tools to adjust some settings that I don't have access too. I still think it's weird that everything was working perfectly for months then it stopped.

I turned off my virus scan and switched to the Windows Classic theme and that didn't have any affect.

I'm certain that it's some kind of power setting that recently got activated that doesn't let the computer use it's full power on battery mode. I'm going to contact Gateway support and see what they say. I'll post the answers here, if I get any.