AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-03-22, 04:52   Link #21
Succubus Evaligan

Cool

The trailer of Simoun
http://youtube.com/watch?v=d4gcw9sjHn0&search=Simoun%20
Yuri Hime is a magazine aimed at females.

For me... while it anime does not have fanservice without sense like Koi Koi 7 (big boobs, nudity without sense, and girl's kissing without no reason), is targeted for females or for both genders.
Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~ is a cute love history. If we forget the perverted father of Hazumu.... that's anime is for girls... but the father of Hazumu fanservice is more targeted for boys. I think that Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~ is for both genders.
In my country Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~ is more accepted by females. Many males can't accept that Hazumu have more girlfriends as girl... of that it had like boy. Also some males that see this anime want see that Hazumu at the end return as boy again. I hope that Hazume never become a boy again.

In my country many girls like me want see Strawberry Panic and Simoun. Can I ask... why in USA the yuri is most accepted by males than females? In my country the yuri is more accepted by females. Also not all girls that like yuri in my country are lesbian or bisexual, many females that like yuri are straight.

I really want see Simoun
Succubus Evaligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-22, 07:59   Link #22
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

I can't speak for the americans but I think the main factor is that, despite yuri tendancies not including men, a lot of guys think it's really hot to see two chicks make out.

Another take on it is that the emotion portrayed is usually a lot deeper. However this of course is dependant on the skill of the writers.
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-22, 09:32   Link #23
DaFool
Resident devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Succubus Evaligan
The trailer of Simoun
http://youtube.com/watch?v=d4gcw9sjHn0&search=Simoun%20
Yuri Hime is a magazine aimed at females.

For me... while it anime does not have fanservice without sense like Koi Koi 7 (big boobs, nudity without sense, and girl's kissing without no reason), is targeted for females or for both genders.
Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~ is a cute love history. If we forget the perverted father of Hazumu.... that's anime is for girls... but the father of Hazumu fanservice is more targeted for boys. I think that Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~ is for both genders.
In my country Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~ is more accepted by females. Many males can't accept that Hazumu have more girlfriends as girl... of that it had like boy. Also some males that see this anime want see that Hazumu at the end return as boy again. I hope that Hazume never become a boy again.

In my country many girls like me want see Strawberry Panic and Simoun. Can I ask... why in USA the yuri is most accepted by males than females? In my country the yuri is more accepted by females. Also not all girls that like yuri in my country are lesbian or bisexual, many females that like yuri are straight.

I really want see Simoun
I think you may be right about the origin of Simoun being magazine targeted at girls, but I the origin of Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~ is magazine targeted at boys.

It's like this...you female...you're supposed to like yaoi. If you're male, you're supposed to like yuri. Basically, you like to see the opposite gender making out with each other. That's just my take on it.

But I'm not American. So, I dunno

But really, literate people these days should be able to see themselves in a narrative proxy, regardless of its gender, as long as the character shares some traits or behaviors and attitudes with the viewer. I personally prefer female narrative proxies as the stories surrounding such characters tend to be more natural. The yuri / shoujo-ai tendencies just helps to cram more females into the story so that's very good.

Last edited by DaFool; 2006-03-22 at 09:45.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 04:48   Link #24
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Succubus Evaligan
Could you please tell us what country you are from?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-31, 18:58   Link #25
Simon
気持ち悪い

A teaser for the ending theme is up on the Savage Genius page.

Only two days to go...
Old 2006-03-31, 20:03   Link #26
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
The April edition of Newtype had a page about it the art looks great i just the hope the story line is good and its not too short someone else mentioned we need more things like Noein and Eureka 7 i totally agree 12 episodes is just not enough sometimes the anime feels rushed when they do like that. but im looking forward to it. anyone know the when the first ep is suppose to air?
Old 2006-03-31, 20:19   Link #27
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra
anyone know the when the first ep is suppose to air?
This Monday night (well, 2am Tuesday morning) on TV Tokyo

Last edited by Simon; 2006-04-03 at 05:04. Reason: Got my days muddled
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-31, 21:10   Link #28
gknight
shounen ai

Send a message via ICQ to gknight Send a message via MSN to gknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Could you please tell us what country you are from?
i didn't get it either. XD
gknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-03, 18:04   Link #29
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Ep 1 RAW out by me...
Old 2006-04-03, 18:06   Link #30
BiZz
God ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks
Ep 1 RAW out by me...
thx
I hope it'll sub by a good team
BiZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-03, 20:23   Link #31
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Wow...

Now, I know that a lot of you have written this off as a cute lesbians with mechas fanservice trash, and this is bound to produce a countless number of "ZOMG! Teh Yuri! posts, however, I must stress now that this show deserves.. no, demands respect and deeper, more careful look.

From the first look at it, Simoun is nothing short of simply amazing. The music is excellent, ranging from classic operatic pieces to Astor Piazolla-like deadly tango. The background art is simply gorgeous in it's static picturesque form, reminiscent of Shinkai's backgrounds and the BG art for Adolescense of Utena movie (the later more so, actually).

The morphing of 2D art and 3D objects is seamless and peerless. Even the recent Noein, which had excellent 2D/3D combination scenes would be hard-pressed to produce something as perfect-looking as this. Honestly, I am not overstating my case here, it is THAT good.

Those looking for yuri smut, honestly, Strawberry Panic would probably fit that bill much better. There are scenes that might seem like gratuitous yuri (yes, lots of kissing), but they actually manage to convey a boatload of conflicting emotion ranging from lust, friendship, comraderie, disgust, uneasyness...

In short, Simoun feels like it has a tremendous story to tell and it is giving us these juicy bits that promise quite a range of feeling.

Character designs look very "kawaii", which put me off for a second when I saw the trailer, but I felt like this is highly conceptualized as well. If you know the premise of the show (girls being kept artificially immature to pilot mechas in war), it seems like this is actually done on purpose and will have further plot attached to it, rather than just fanservice.

In any case, this is the best show of the season for me so far. I encourage all of you to check it out. If you like a great story with sweeping visuals of the type of Last Exile, you will appreciate Simoun.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-03, 21:25   Link #32
Sakuya
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
In any case, this is the best show of the season for me so far. I encourage all of you to check it out. If you like a great story with sweeping visuals of the type of Last Exile, you will appreciate Simoun.
Not being a fan of mecha, I'm still attracted by the visuals. Will this have drama? I personally liked My HiME despite its mecha, even if the mecha is only a minor point in the plot. Will this be like that?
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-03, 22:00   Link #33
Black_Sharingan

I think I'll give this a try. Hopefully it's better than Jousei Kousei
Black_Sharingan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-03, 22:31   Link #34
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
The morphing of 2D art and 3D objects is seamless and peerless. Even the recent Noein, which had excellent 2D/3D combination scenes would be hard-pressed to produce something as perfect-looking as this. Honestly, I am not overstating my case here, it is THAT good.
I agree the 3D was rather nice. I do love the ship designs and found it interesting that they could open up their cockpit glass and yet at one-another while flying (or hover...I couldn't tell). There was probably one glaring spot where the 3D/2D didn't match well, but it's a minor point.

I happen to like the character desings a lot. Rich colors mixed in with flowing pastels. Hair colors are spot on and mix well. You can tell which pilots should be together.
Quote:
Those looking for yuri smut, honestly, Strawberry Panic would probably fit that bill much better. There are scenes that might seem like gratuitous yuri (yes, lots of kissing), but they actually manage to convey a boatload of conflicting emotion ranging from lust, friendship, comraderie, disgust, uneasyness...
True again (from what I could tell), but I must admit that I found this scene rather sensual:

They have extremely full lips and that's a well animated kiss. It was a nice touch by the director to have her lunge back for a second helping.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-03, 22:47   Link #35
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Catgirls... Let's stay rated PG-13...
Old 2006-04-03, 23:03   Link #36
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks
Catgirls... Let's stay rated PG-13...
Hah! (Thanks, btw) I agree with MrProphet about this show. A second viewing and there seems to be a nice amount of politics under the surface and some fairly deep relationship aspects as well. This really does look like it'll be a great show with a nice amount of depth in the script. The music through out the show is mostly classical, btw. A nice future-retro pick.

Screen caps of some of the ship designs:

Spoiler for Four Screen caps:

Last edited by Catgirls; 2006-04-03 at 23:45.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 03:24   Link #37
BluWacky
尻の竜

I can't believe it! I actually like this show a lot!

Basically, I agree with everything MrProphet's said; it's by far surpassed my expectations, and there's a whole lot more to it than just girls kissing zOMG! Some of the character types may be a little stock, but the yuri isn't especially gratuitous (it's hardly necessary, but it works and is well integrated into the plot; plus, let's face it, it looks hot...) and the world background and writing is far better thought out than I'd expected.

My only complaint is the OP animation isn't very good; not enough of it synchs with the animation and there are a few too many scenes from this (and presumably future) episodes.

Otherwise, a surprising thumbs up!
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 03:40   Link #38
BiZz
God ?

Yeah we can say IT ->> OMFG !!!

It's by far surpassed my expectations too, I agree with everyone who like the show !

If I compare this first episode and Mai-Otome's first episode, Mai-otome is NOTHING.
Believe me or see it.

PS : Look the Screen caps few posts ago, It is Beautiful !
BiZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 06:10   Link #39
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

I finally got to see this and although my raw was pretty poor on the quality side I could tell the show should look nice with goods colour blends. I second (thid? I forget) the comment about how seamless the 2D and 3D are.

And is it just me do does anyone else here imagine most of these ships having a swimming pool on them? Not seriously, but I can just picture it.
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 08:02   Link #40
DaFool
Resident devil

Quote:
Wow...

Now, I know that a lot of you have written this off as a cute lesbians with mechas fanservice trash, and this is bound to produce a countless number of "ZOMG! Teh Yuri! posts, however, I must stress now that this show deserves.. no, demands respect and deeper, more careful look.

From the first look at it, Simoun is nothing short of simply amazing. The music is excellent, ranging from classic operatic pieces to Astor Piazolla-like deadly tango. The background art is simply gorgeous in it's static picturesque form, reminiscent of Shinkai's backgrounds and the BG art for Adolescense of Utena movie (the later more so, actually).

In short, Simoun feels like it has a tremendous story to tell and it is giving us these juicy bits that promise quite a range of feeling.

Character designs look very "kawaii", which put me off for a second when I saw the trailer, but I felt like this is highly conceptualized as well. If you know the premise of the show (girls being kept artificially immature to pilot mechas in war), it seems like this is actually done on purpose and will have further plot attached to it, rather than just fanservice.

I highly respect your opinions as those from someone with very discerning tastes. However I do not immediately associate yuri / fanservice = = smut / guilty pleasure. When this anime was first announced, yes it was the girls and mecha premise that initially attracted me, however the shoujo-ish designs immediately gave that hint that this will be more than what I expected.

I don't know who the original intended audience for this show is, or who wrote the original story (since the manga will only come later). What I do know is never to dismiss something that takes effort with good production values and a classical music BGM (as well as ED by Savage Genius)...that's why I enjoyed Uta~kata for instance.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, science fiction, yuri