AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-06, 18:06   Link #1
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

The Dubbing of Death Note

This thread is for the discussion of English Voice Actors in the R1 release of Death Note

Please remember these simple rules when critiquing a VA's performance or reading another forum member's critique:
  • Don't take it personally.
    In other words, you’re free to disagree with another person’s opinion, but don’t flame them if they offer a well written and well thought out analysis that differs from your own opinion. Keep it civil.
  • Voice Actors are humans.
    Yes, it’s true. They’re human. Therefore, don’t just indiscriminately rip them and their work apart as if they’re inorganic objects. You don’t have to flame praise them non-stop, but be thoughtful in your criticism.
Thanks
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2007-12-07, 08:22   Link #2
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Location: The Internet, ranging from the World of Warcraft------Deviantart----and much more!..My mostly WoW
Well, I for one am not a big fan of the dubbing. Light's voice is weird. He sounds like he's 15..but he does have that insane laugh down though...Ryuk's voice is probably the best, though when he laughs he sounds like someone who has been smoking for like 30 years. I feel L's voice is the worst...It's so deep! Not like Arnold Swartinegger deep, just deep....It's just weird....and I hate it...

Overall, I'd give the dub a 5/10
Old 2007-12-07, 09:02   Link #3
Clawn

I agree with siya for the most part, L sounds way too deep and Light's voice sounds too young, but they both have their good qualities. For instance, both of them have many long monologues, and they usually pull them off with just the right amount of "oomph." I, overall, think they did a pretty good job with the English dubs.
Old 2007-12-07, 16:19   Link #4
CJL13
God of his own ego

Light and Ryuk are fine, L sounds too generic though, he's supposed to be different.
Old 2007-12-07, 20:58   Link #5
DesoNoto

I just hate English dubs. I used to love them until I heard the Japanese voices and I thought they sounded way cooler. I would say Ryuk sounds the best out of Light, Ryuk, and L but I really don't like English dubs.
Old 2007-12-10, 22:26   Link #6
Super Ska Master

I actually dont mind the dub. I think light's could be better, but it kind of grew on me.
Old 2007-12-15, 22:45   Link #7
coreyzard
Jedi Master

Send a message via AIM to coreyzard Send a message via MSN to coreyzard Send a message via Yahoo to coreyzard
I actually kind of like L's, it's Lights that drives me crazy. >.<;;

Raye Penbar's was kind of bad too.

The one thing that drives me insane though, is everyone pronouncing Yagami, yah-guh-me. Isn't it Yuh-gam-ee?

I could be wrong, but I thought it was.

Ryuks I think is pretty good, and in fact had they got his messed up, I had sworn to my friends I wouldn't watch the dubbed episodes XD

So luckily I like his. ^_^

I just can't wait to hear Misa's though
Old 2007-12-16, 03:55   Link #8
Junnina
~ B e l i e v e r ~

I like the english dub! L'voice is cute, Light's one too (even if it's too young, I agree with you ç__ç; ). But I'm Italian, so don't mind; I simply love the english language, so Death Note dubbed in english is a lovely thing. *___*;

I hope the show will be dubbed in Italian too... even if there are voices that speaks about changes of name: Light -> Luce, L -> Elle, Near -> Nino, Mello -> Melina (and he will became a girl..), Rem -> Remigilda, etc. xD

In the english dub, they didn't change the names, did they?

(Anyway... the original dub is better xD)
Old 2007-12-16, 12:26   Link #9
CJL13
God of his own ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junnina View Post
I like the english dub! L'voice is cute, Light's one too (even if it's too young, I agree with you ç__ç; ). But I'm Italian, so don't mind; I simply love the english language, so Death Note dubbed in english is a lovely thing. *___*;

I hope the show will be dubbed in Italian too... even if there are voices that speaks about changes of name: Light -> Luce, L -> Elle, Near -> Nino, Mello -> Melina (and he will became a girl..), Rem -> Remigilda, etc. xD

In the english dub, they didn't change the names, did they?

(Anyway... the original dub is better xD)
Unless you count Raito being Light, it's the same names.

Speaking of the dub yesterday...
Spoiler:
Old 2007-12-16, 16:02   Link #10
coreyzard
Jedi Master

Send a message via AIM to coreyzard Send a message via MSN to coreyzard Send a message via Yahoo to coreyzard
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL13 View Post
Unless you count Raito being Light, it's the same names.

Speaking of the dub yesterday...
Spoiler:
Actually I thought they did that kinda well, better than some of the things they've done before. *shrug*
Old 2007-12-16, 17:23   Link #11
Hypervalor
Valor Kira

The Ray Penber part where is go out of the train station, the dub make a mistake.

If I remember well, Ray Penber said something like "damn kira..." in japanese
In the english version, he said something like "Kira, where are you"
Old 2007-12-17, 00:47   Link #12
Holy Knight
Time Bomb

Quote:
Light and Ryuk are fine, L sounds too generic though, he's supposed to be different.
I agree, it should have been much more unique.

Overall it's alright. My expectations is always low, so it evens out.
Old 2007-12-18, 01:21   Link #13
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

I just watched the dub of EPIC CHIP EATING and the original back-to-back. The dialogue seems to be consistent AFAIK (I didn't have an eng sub of the JPN version to use as a reference, so I had to use an spanish sub).
Old 2007-12-20, 18:39   Link #14
Kalimah
Fallen Idol

i kinda like L's voice too...i like the subtle english hint to it
Light's voice is kinda weird...but who i am waiting to hear is misa
Old 2007-12-21, 21:43   Link #15
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

I personally love the unintentional comedy you can get from the overdramatization from the English voice actors.

"With my right hand, I will write names, and with the other. . .<dramatic pause>. . .I WILL EAT A POTATO CHIP!"

And you can hear Light's voice practically gloating at the fact that he's eating a potato chip. It is hilarious.

"And maybe, a in a few seconds. . .<dramatic pause>. . .I WILL EAT ANOTHER POTATO CHIP! You can't stop me L! Just watch as I eat these sinfully delicious slices of spud!"
Old 2007-12-21, 22:41   Link #16
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

EP9 just finished airing. Only thing I didn't like was the part where L reveals himself. In the JPN version, he says "私はLです". In the dub, I couldn't make out what he said since I was expecting L to say something similar to the original script.
Old 2007-12-22, 23:54   Link #17
kyledouglas521

Ok, so here's my views

Light- I don't mind it necessarily...but as a drama geek, i have to say this. The guy who does his voice doesn't really make the scene believable. He takes each line individually and just says it how it seems like it should be said, instead of looking at the whole scene itself. I don't know... maybe i'm overthinking it

also "i'll take a potato chip.... ... ...AND EAT IT!!!!!!!!" speaks for itself

L- a tad too deep, but you have to remember that L's voice was sort of deep in the Japanese version too. One thing that bugged me is that the voice acting seems...inconsistent... at some points it seems like the actor will make an effort to deepen his voice, and then a sentence later it sounds sort of different, and then goes back to normal.

Ryuuk- i think it fits him perfectly, i love it

on a final note
Spoiler for Death Note:
Old 2007-12-26, 20:14   Link #18
CJL13
God of his own ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by HashiriyaR32 View Post
EP9 just finished airing. Only thing I didn't like was the part where L reveals himself. In the JPN version, he says "私はLです". In the dub, I couldn't make out what he said since I was expecting L to say something similar to the original script.
"I wanted to tell you that I am L."
Old 2007-12-27, 13:18   Link #19
Kiyoraka

Quote:
"I wanted to tell you that I am L."
The way he said it amused me. "I just wanted to tell you... ThatI'mL." That little speed up at the end of the sentence made me laugh, I'm weird.

Anyway, the dub seems fine to me, when I compare them to the subs, I see no real significant change in dialogue. The voices themselves aren't bad either, though Light and Ryuk leave voices to be desired, I think L's is just fine.
Old 2007-12-28, 23:41   Link #20
lelek

I'm generally not a dub fan, for a number of reasons that go into the subtleties of language and how details of characterisation and plot are lost in translation (if anyone ever wants me to go into this in detail, give me a shout ^^). That said, the Death Note dub really isn't bad. I've only seen three episodes of it, but from what I've seen it's pretty high quality. The voices seem a bit off to me, because I'm so accustomed to the original seiyuu, but I actually have a weird fondness for dub!L. No, I don't really understand why, I just do.

It's obviously not perfect, dubs never are, but the dialogue is fairly true to the original and the delivery, if occasionally inconsistent, is pretty good overall. I'm not keeping up with the dub release, because I've seen the entire series in Japanese, but I'd give it 7/10.
Closed Thread