AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-08-06, 08:08   Link #881
Vicious108

By Zenkai do you mean the occasions where saiyans are beaten to within an inch of their lives and then when they come back they're much stronger?

If so yeah, they really abused those in Namek. Vegeta especially, he went from being weaker than Zarbon to being somewhat able to fight final form Frieza.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 11:43   Link #882
GDB

Yup.

Spoiler for Namek... spoilers for everything:
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 01:54   Link #883
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Too bad Cell wasn't allowed to abuse it, otherwise he'd be the strongest in the universe.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 03:13   Link #884
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
Too bad Cell wasn't allowed to abuse it, otherwise he'd be the strongest in the universe.
I don't think Cell ever got a proper ass-whooping. His fights against Piccolo were not so one-sided as the ones he had with SS2 Gohan. His fights against Trunks and Vegeta were one-sided, but the fools never took the chance they had and finished him off for good. (or attempt to, thus leading to possible zenkai)

The only true ass-whooping he got was by SS2 Gohan.
And he did come back. With the mother of all zenkai's as well. (He magically reverted to Cell in final form, PLUS Goku's ability, instant transmission, and enough power to be almost on par with SS2 Gohan)
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 10:47   Link #885
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Frenchie View Post
And he did come back. With the mother of all zenkai's as well. (He magically reverted to Cell in final form, PLUS Goku's ability, instant transmission, and enough power to be almost on par with SS2 Gohan)
Yea that's easily the worst offender in the series for me as far as zenkais go. And one of the reasons I don't like the Cell saga as much as the others. (the other being Vegeta being a moron in it)
Old 2009-08-09, 11:34   Link #886
saravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Yea that's easily the worst offender in the series for me as far as zenkais go. And one of the reasons I don't like the Cell saga as much as the others. (the other being Vegeta being a moron in it)
Well that zenkai was justifiable to an extent since he does have saiyan cells within him.

As far as Vegeta goes, I wouldn't really call him moronic, I would call him arrogant and underestimating, but that, in my view, wasn't the reason for his choice. Vegeta is a saiyan, saiyans live for the thrill of battle, the desire for the ultimate fight. The reasoning behind this can even be perceived in the current topic of zenkai, where win or lose, a saiyan gains strength through his battles, which could be viewed as an even greater desire. 2nd stage Cell was nothing more than a joke to Vegeta, hardly a fitting battle, and so when Cell tempted Vegeta with the possibility of the ultimate foe, his saiyan nature made the choice an obvious one. It just turned out to be a foe that was too much for Vegeta to handle.
Old 2009-08-09, 11:49   Link #887
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravis View Post
Well that zenkai was justifiable to an extent since he does have saiyan cells within him.

As far as Vegeta goes, I wouldn't really call him moronic, I would call him arrogant and underestimating, but that, in my view, wasn't the reason for his choice. Vegeta is a saiyan, saiyans live for the thrill of battle, the desire for the ultimate fight. The reasoning behind this can even be perceived in the current topic of zenkai, where win or lose, a saiyan gains strength through his battles, which could be viewed as an even greater desire. 2nd stage Cell was nothing more than a joke to Vegeta, hardly a fitting battle, and so when Cell tempted Vegeta with the possibility of the ultimate foe, his saiyan nature made the choice an obvious one. It just turned out to be a foe that was too much for Vegeta to handle.
...Making him look pretty fucking stupid in the process. And I don't like it when my favorite character looks stupid. Vegeta in the Frieza and Buu arcs > Vegeta in the Cell arc.
Old 2009-08-09, 12:34   Link #888
saravis

Quote:
...Making him look pretty fucking stupid in the process. And I don't like it when my favorite character looks stupid. Vegeta in the Frieza and Buu arcs > Vegeta in the Cell arc.
Would you still view his decision as idiotic if he was able to handle Perfect Cell?

Compared to the Frieza arc, Vegeta is better. He's barely able to keep toe to toe with Frieza's first form, where as against Cell, Vegeta has the upper hand against his 2nd form. Also he contributes nothing to Frieza's defeat, but assists in Cell's defeat. The Buu saga is a little more difficult to gauge. His fight with Goku was good, but was made irrelevant when Goku revealed SS3. He ends up having to blow himself up against Buu's first and by far weakest form, which resulted in nothing, but his own death. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have Vegeto. At the end he's able to hold his own against Buu's final form, making him the second most important contribution to Buu's defeat.
Old 2009-08-09, 12:40   Link #889
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravis View Post
Would you still view his decision as idiotic if he was able to handle Perfect Cell?
It was obvious he wouldn't be.

And I don't gauge a character's quality by their efficiency in battle. Personality and actions is what matters most for me, and Vegeta's actions in the Cell saga were rather stupid. That's all there is to it.
Old 2009-08-09, 13:04   Link #890
saravis

Quote:
Obvious only because of deus ex. It was never clear just how much stronger Cell would be, in Vegeta's eyes Cell would be a worthy opponent, as his 2nd stage was severely wanting.

Quote:
And I don't gauge a character's quality by their efficiency in battle. Personality and actions is what matters most for me, and Vegeta's actions in the Cell saga were rather stupid. That's all there is to it.
First off you say that as if it applies to action shounen, in action shounen a person's quality is gauged by their efficiency in battle. Second I would rather a character act like himself and make a bad decision, than a character act out of character and make a right decision. You say that personality is what matters most, but it is because of Vegeta's personality, which hadn't changed, that he made that decision. Are you then saying, that he should have suddenly acted differently, that he should have killed Cell then and there because his character wouldn't have been honest with himself if he made that decision. If you like a character, truly like them, you will take the good with the bad. He's not the only character to make a bad decision based on his ideals, Goku has made two bad decisions that I can think of. First, he didn't kill Dr Gero, which would have stopped this whole mess. Second he didn't kill Frieza, which if it wasn't for Trunks would have resulted in dire consequences for his friends and did result in dire consequences because if he did kill Frieza on Namek Gero wouldn't have been able to get his cells.
Old 2009-08-09, 14:28   Link #891
Blaat

They'll definitely be on Namek (no fake Namek ftw) in episode 19.
Old 2009-08-09, 14:38   Link #892
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
They'll definitely be on Namek (no fake Namek ftw) in episode 19.
Yep so i was right.

Episode 19 and onwards, oh my. Let the epic begin.
Old 2009-08-09, 14:45   Link #893
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Yep so i was right.

Episode 19 and onwards, oh my. Let the epic begin.
Yes you were. ^^
And yes Namek saga is epic, it has always been one of my favourite arcs.
Old 2009-08-09, 21:12   Link #894
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:

Wouldn't that make Goku stupid for letting Vegeta live? Considering at the time, they only knew that Vegeta would come back to get his revenge.

I really don't see the problem with letting Cell take his final form because at least it's consistent to the Saiyan heritage. I would find it strange that Vegeta would kill him when he can have the opportunity to fight a powerful foe, just like Goku did with Vegeta. The decision just made things more consistent.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 22:01   Link #895
rpgman1

Saiyans seem to have battle lust and the desire to fight stronger opponents. Of course, that also leads to personality problems like Gohan when he went SSJ2 against Perfect Cell and the fusion process of Gotenks and Vegeto. BTW, got to love the Namek saga.
rpgman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-10, 05:59   Link #896
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Oh wow, watching the preview for episode 19 gave me goosebumps. I seriously can't wait for the Namek saga to began next week. It's going to be one hell of an epic ride all the way until the end of March.
Old 2009-08-10, 19:39   Link #897
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Let the tyranny of the emperor of the universe, Lord Frieza, begin . I can't wait to hear the new pieces of music Kenji Yamamoto has in store for this amazing arc. Though this is only my opinion (others are more than welcome to disagree with me ), I honestly believe that the Frieza arc is one of the greatest story arcs in the history of Shounen comics. It is that legendary, for the battles are shounen quality at its finest.
Old 2009-08-11, 00:13   Link #898
Peanutbutter

Aya Hirano as Dende?!?!

Source: Sankaku.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 02:46   Link #899
RDF2050
Superidol

Do any one know about new OP and ED to this new saga?
Old 2009-08-11, 03:11   Link #900
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDFMASTER View Post
Do any one know about new OP and ED to this new saga?
No new OP/ED so far if they're going to change it you have to wait until episode 26. Although don't expect too much, Dragonball Z only had 2 different openings in its entire run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
Aya Hirano as Dende?!?!

Source: Sankaku.
I believe this when I hear it, we'll see Dende in episode 20. Interestingly enough she did recently purchased all Dragon ball manga volumes.