AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2009-11-21, 23:07   Link #21
Choukou

Send a message via AIM to Choukou Send a message via MSN to Choukou Send a message via Yahoo to Choukou
I'm really excited to see both films, and will probably enjoy both, unless they totally tank. I was really wondering what all they could do with The Last Airbender, thinking it would be a continuation, but it looks like it's just live action based on the cartoon. Anyone know, are they going to try and smoosh the whole story into one movie? Or 3 movies (which would make more sense to me).

As for Avatar...
Quote:
Night Elves vs the Space Marines... might be fun.
I am looking forward to it!

Also, how/why did the other Avatar lose the rights to using that name? Didn't it come first?
Choukou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 15:30   Link #22
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Well other day brother had dragged me along to go see Twlight New Moon and only one good thing came out of going to see it, the Avatar trailer.
I had read about this a whiles back but never saw a trailer till now and god does it look good.

Can't wait for this!
Old 2009-12-01, 16:27   Link #23
Raiga
tl;dr

Looks awesome.

Certainly a relatively standard-looking plot in terms of sci-fi in general, but it's probably the first time something like this has hit the big screen with a big budget and good effects. Definitely want to see this in theaters, hopefully I can see it before winter break, depending on my finals...
Old 2009-12-01, 16:42   Link #24
Langknow

I'm looking forward to this movie alot actually.

I find that reviews online are not true most of the time for me.

For example, I enjoyed and quite liked 2012, while most online reviews gave it a bad review.

Another example is : I love you Beth Cooper, which I found very refreshing and a great movie .

But online reviews were horrible for it.

So yea, I say go watch it ...

http://www.youtube.com/langknow
Langknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-03, 00:54   Link #25
FKItachi

Send a message via AIM to FKItachi Send a message via Yahoo to FKItachi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
My son watched the trailer and commented "Night Elves vs the Space Marines... might be fun".
... wow I love that quote... props to your son....

I work for for AMC Movie Theatres... and I can tell you our corporate office is expecting an opening weekend box office higher than Twilight New Moon which is already one of the biggest opening weekends of all time.

Should avatar do well, I believe a trilogy is in the works.
FKItachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-03, 21:39   Link #26
Tiberium Wolf

About the game it got a 5.5 in gamespot. The review was really harsh. The again most of the time games from movies sux. They only sell well coz of the hype.
Old 2009-12-03, 21:42   Link #27
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

The only movie game I've played and enjoyed was in the Spiderman series. I don't remember if it was one or two. Hell, it might have been both.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 05:11   Link #28
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

As Vexx Jr said, "Night Elves versus Space Marines."

That's all you really need to know about Avatar's plot. Every sci-fi and fantasy trope you can think of, it's there in this film. Whatever his merits as a big-budget director, James Cameron has never been a particularly sophisticated storyteller.

But then again, I don't think anyone who goes into theatres to watch this wow-er is expecting Princess Mononoke. It's a visual extravaganza that they want to see.

And it delivers — in spades the size of this movie's hammerhead behemoths. The CG effects take my breath away the way Pandora's atmosphere would take away an earthling's. This is the one blockbuster you can't afford to miss this Christmas, trust me.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 17:29   Link #29
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Watched it and I predicted the plot the moment he met the girl and the basic plot is the same with every other plot where it involves someone going undercover to be accepted and learn their ways.

Spoiler for movie plot:

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-19, 18:26   Link #30
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Was it really that typical? I'm not the biggest movie-goer but I thought the plot stood up well next to the 'effects.' In fact I found myself wondering if Cameron had ever tried psychedelics, the movie's messages seem pretty steeped in psy culture.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-19, 18:43   Link #31
Westlo
Lets be reality

It was very typical and nearly everything they did was alluded to earlier in the movie, I really could've done without the disney-esque moment near the end too.. it was visual tour de force though and was awesome in Imax-3d but it definitely didn't live up the hype imo.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-19, 18:54   Link #32
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Grade C plot, a stickpin-cluster of standard tropes -- -but absolutely stunningly beautiful to watch. A lot of the mundanes coming out were bowled over more than I remember how awe-struck they were after LOTR.

If you play online fantasy/sci-fi MMOs or related.... its a eyeball treat of "I've always wanted to see ---"

I won't write up any specific complaints or praise for a few weeks until most have seen it.
Old 2009-12-19, 23:07   Link #33
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Was supposed to watch it today but to exhausted to do anything ... Prolly tomorrow or next week dont know . Leaving Cameron nothing excites me about this movie . Last animated movie I truly enjoyed was Wall E , that was a masterpiece .

Last edited by Zu Ra; 2009-12-20 at 00:54. Reason: woweeeeee Wall E O_O
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-19, 23:08   Link #34
Nappy Hared Azn
Check out my Rolek!

I caught the late-night screening yesterday and it was looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong.

Seriously though, nothing about this movie is original. The plot is taken from Dances with Wolves, the Na'vi are basically a cross between Night Elves and the Ronso (from FFX), and the human vehicles were stolen straight out of Halo.

Once you get past the length and unoriginality, it's not too bad. Oh, and it's definitely a great visual experience. Stereoscopic cameras + 3D glasses = SEX.
Old 2009-12-19, 23:16   Link #35
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I quickly got past the "been there done that" feel of the plot greatly enjoyed the movie. Unoriginality isn't always a bad thing plotwise for a movie as long as everything else balances it out enough. I felt that was the case with the movie and aside from not living up to the hype it was a great film in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappy Hared Azn View Post
the human vehicles were stolen straight out of Halo.
Really? I didn't see that at all. Honestly I can point out a bunch of other mech suits that share similarities.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 00:09   Link #36
Nappy Hared Azn
Check out my Rolek!

Troop transport/gunship (future helicopter) = Hornet

Big green thing that the colonel rides on = bloated Pelican
Old 2009-12-20, 04:17   Link #37
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Watched it last night. Plot is hole-y and sometimes all over the place, dialogue is cheeeeeeeeeezy as hell and Rodriguez again proves she only has one facial expression.

That said, as everyone else has mentioned this is quite possibly the most stunningly realized visual world in cinema since LotR, Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy: The Golden Army.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 07:06   Link #38
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

I just thought of this when watching it..."I wonder what Halo Reach would look like if done in 3-D"

Old 2009-12-20, 11:35   Link #39
Atmospheric
Dango Time~

I'll check it out eventually, is it worth a trip to the theater?
Atmospheric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 11:37   Link #40
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmospheric View Post
I'll check it out eventually, is it worth a trip to the theater?
The graphics are worth seeing in 3-D but if you're not watching it in 3-D then it is probably not worth the trip unless you are planning on an outing with friends.