AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-11, 12:48   Link #1
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

My Girl by SAHARA Mizu

Description from Manga-updates:

Kazama Masamune - a single 23-year-old man...has a kid? During the season of cherry blossoms, his beloved passes away. He happens to meet a little girl outside work and realizes she is his daughter who was raised in secrecy by his lover. The worst spring of his life is transformed into a painful yet vivid spring.

It's by SAHARA Mizu(also known as YUMEKA Sumomo/Sasshi by shounen-ai fans ). So it's awesome by default. I knew her from her one-shots. Which are really good. She did the manga adaption of Hoshi no Koe. Her art is top of the line.

This manga is a seinen slice-of-life. Normally I don't want things licensed(since I can steal without feeling guilty ), but I want a hard copy of this so bad. It's really a touching story. There's 6 chapters scanlated by Storm in Heaven & Aku Tenshi. So it's good on the scanlation side as well, although it is going slow. =o
Old 2008-09-11, 16:05   Link #2
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Yeah, I've been keeping up with this, but translations is too slow, it's been a few months since a chap came out. I think it's better than Aiko Desho and Usagi Drops, but that's probably due to how lonely Kazama is portrayed w/o Youko(or whatever his girl's name was, can't remember =_=). I really wish she was alive, she really seemed like a lively, fun character.
Old 2008-09-11, 16:36   Link #3
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Yeah, I've been keeping up with this, but translations is too slow, it's been a few months since a chap came out. I think it's better than Aiko Desho and Usagi Drops, but that's probably due to how lonely Kazama is portrayed w/o Youko(or whatever his girl's name was, can't remember =_=). I really wish she was alive, she really seemed like a lively, fun character.
Dunno there wouldn't be much emoness if she where alive.

Fan of Usagi Drops myself too. Also lacks speed in scans. Desho goes lowest on my list though it isn't bad.
Old 2008-12-03, 09:17   Link #4
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

A very interesting manga... It is a really nice and heartwarming story. Koharu is simply lovely and seeing how they comfort each other and try to get over the death of Youko simply makes sad and all teary T_T

Here is the manga cover:

Old 2009-01-02, 18:31   Link #5
Falkor

I can't believe myself for starting this manga just now and for avoiding other works by Sahara Mizu, simply because she was mostly doing one-shots. I really, really like her style and the way she presents/approaches a story, embedding so many feelings and emotions--nostalgia, loneliness, depression and frustration...

The facial expressions are drawn down to the smallest of details. Sometimes, I can't help myself from sympathizing, or even "feeling" what each character goes through (the issues, the aspirations, and the prospect of romance). And all this is subjected to the simplest of stories, making the drama more character-driven. Really, all her works so far (and especially the latest of them) are one of the best I've read when it comes to drama and character development, reaching I think, its maximum expression in My Girl.

I'm having troubles describing why I like My Girl so much. Ever since the first chapter, this manga has been able to communicate the issues and problems the main character had, without forgetting how to convey his thoughts and feelings within the lines marking the possibility of Drama--and taking the sudden change with the introduction of her daughter, the only memory left by his unrequited love. As we continue, the character starts to grow from his weak state of mind, trying to learn how to become a good father in the process. The girl, on the other hand, is by no means unaffected or any less of this character development, showing the same level of depth as her father when it comes to her issues and the unusual maturity for a girl of her age. Both are trying to deal with the past (in his case: his love; in her case: her mother), demonstrating once again how each is strongly attached to that string connecting important parts of their life, and the longing nostalgia that this creates as result. Yes, every chapter has been touching beyond words--with each issue, each situation developing around them--ultimately opening the path to move forward together.
Old 2009-01-02, 21:48   Link #6
yongshun

Wow just caught up with this one. I started it but becuase it comes out so slow I stopped for a while. This and Usagi Drops are a few of those that have such enduring messages about what it means to be a family, it doent have to be Mother, Father and children, it can be single parents or even siblings taking care of each other. The art is fanstastic and I see alot of the same issues between this and Usagi Drops but they each is a little different in their own way to make it an really nice read.
Old 2009-01-03, 01:23   Link #7
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Indeed. I have to admit that for some reason I've come to really love this theme of a man -- even boy -- learning responsibility by taking care of a child, becoming family in the process. It's as old as Les Miserables but it's still compelling whether it's in Aishiteruze Baby, Usagi Drops, or this.

My Girl is a lot more subdued and sad compared to Usagi Drops though.
Old 2009-02-23, 22:21   Link #8
yongshun

New chapter is out and it is rather touching that the girl said she already got her christmas present.
Old 2009-03-04, 21:47   Link #9
Falkor

finally had time to read the latest chapter...

how should I say this, not as touching as previous chapters, but just as good--or something like that (previous chapters have been very very touching... ). My favourite part has to be that scene where Koharu-chan's expression changes at the presence of his father. You can't help but feel happy for the little girl's happiness. And the photo of the two was really nice as well; it just captured that great moment...

chapter 09 seems to be the end of the first volume... I get the feeling it's going to take a bit longer for the next chapter to be released, but I don't mind waiting... :P
Old 2009-03-04, 22:24   Link #10
denice25

yeah, looks very interesting.. i love the cover.. very simple!
Old 2009-04-12, 21:53   Link #11
mangameditation

I agree with a lot of Falkor's observations; Sahara Mizu's style of art is incredible. All of her designs seem to be full of energy and life, and they look completely natural and relaxed in the way they are drawn. I have not yet read this series, but judging from her other works, I already know that it will be well worth the time.
Old 2009-11-03, 16:48   Link #12
SnowSong

It is good to have updates again. I missed the heart warming feeling. Ch.11 is a nice touch, though far too short.
Old 2009-11-03, 22:56   Link #13
ShootingStars

i love this manga im only 17 :P
Old 2009-11-23, 20:51   Link #14
SnowSong

More chapters came out (13,14,15) if anyone is interested.

The appeal, I believe, is not limited by age. For the younger ones like me who have not had the experience of parenting yet, it is about what we hope to become, the ideals we hope to retain. For the older readers, then, perhaps it is about past mistakes and things that could be.
Old 2010-03-25, 21:50   Link #15
yongshun

chapter 19 is out
Spoiler:

Head or Gut?
Old 2010-11-25, 01:49   Link #16
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
I am bringing this back up (thank you search function!) because I just read the first two volumes and absolitely love this,I'm about to turn 23 and have no idea what i'd do if tomorow I were told I had a 5 year old girl so that's what originaly hooked me.

I know this got a live action drama adaptation but I'm sad that it hasn't gotten an anime adaptation.
Old 2010-11-30, 02:14   Link #17
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

The manga just recently finished actually. While it's a cute story, it certainly felt a little empty at times. It just feels like a lot more could've been explored is all really.
Old 2011-06-16, 20:56   Link #18
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I just recently started reading this. The hearth is extremely heartfelt. I've enjoyed every moment of it. (Didn't last long though, I read all available chapters in under 2 hours )

I'll be eagerly waiting for the next chapters.
Old 2011-07-26, 10:13   Link #19
yongshun

A new chapter is out Kouharu is extremely kind hearted trying to help mend a friends family by herself

Head or Gut?
Closed Thread