Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Gin no Saji a.k.a Silver Spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Gin no Saji
Hiromu Arakawa
Genre: Comedy, Slice-of-Life

Yup, it's her. A year after wrapping up the action series FMA and Juushinenbu, she started writing this completely different thing.

It's about a young teenager attending an agricultural school in Hokkaido, which has some reference to Arakawa's own upbringing. The usual hallmarks of Arakawa's style are all there - well-composed dialogue, whimsical twists in artistic style for comedy, and good character development. It's also a rare slice-of-life series to come in full 20-page, non-4koma format.

Right now it looks like she either doesn't quite have a goal for this series beyond slice-of-life or is fleshing it out behind the scenes.

Summary(swpied from manga-updates)

Quote:
The new series from the creator of Fullmetal Alchemist, the new series takes place in an agricultural high school in the Hokkaido prefecture. The manga seems to be about a smart student from the city in this agricultural high school where most of the other students are sons and daughters of farmers with dreams to take over their family farms.

ehh......well not what I was expecting from Arakawa, thats for sure.
And tbh it's a little hard to get into the setting, farming is not something I'm interested in at all really but the characters so far have been not bad.
The MC is not bad, odd nice guy and he seems to naturally attract animals

Jugdement will obviously have to wait but can't say I'm excited for this atm.

Last edited by monir; 2013-09-14 at 22:59. Reason: Added better opening post after merging two threads for the same manga
Bonta Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 09:11   Link #2
Lime soda

I had a lot of fun reading the first chapter, so I went and reread it two more times a few days after. But I completely forgot their names.

Spoiler for Chapter 1:
Lime soda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 10:36   Link #3
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

I like this manga. The atmosphere is calming and it has those rural feeling inside. I have to admit this is a strange theme to take as a shounen series though lol.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 11:06   Link #4
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
I had some mixed feelings about the first chapter, but then this manga started to grow on me with the second chapter lol Some more background info about the main character in the future would be nice. Only time will tell if this is the manga for me, but so far it seems to be doing good.
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 11:55   Link #5
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Was better than I expected after hearing the manga revolves around agriculture. Not my thing, but it still made me smile - the calf XD

Arakawa grew up on a farm so I'm sure she'll show a lot of the work and processes.

Definitely has potential if you ask me. Always loved Arakawa's portrayal of the characters and her humor. Slice of life I love anyway, so I'm looking forward to the ride.

... I still expect some absurd element to show up. It's just .. too normal!
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 20:04   Link #6
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Seems a bit too autobiographical to me. But it looks ok for a slice of life kind of manga.
Old 2011-04-20, 07:45   Link #7
Xion Valkyrie

So....is there a Silvver Spoon?
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 12:43   Link #8
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
^I heard it appears in the second chapter.

.. the double v is a typo, no?
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 07:39   Link #9
Tiberium Wolf

Spoiler for CH 3:
Old 2011-05-27, 01:37   Link #10
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Gin no Saji

Gin no Saji
Hiromu Arakawa
Genre: Comedy, Slice-of-Life

Yup, it's her. A year after wrapping up the action series FMA and Juushinenbu, she started writing this completely different thing.

It's about a young teenager attending an agricultural school in Hokkaido, which has some reference to Arakawa's own upbringing. The usual hallmarks of Arakawa's style are all there - well-composed dialogue, whimsical twists in artistic style for comedy, and good character development. It's also a rare slice-of-life series to come in full 20-page, non-4koma format.

Right now it looks like she either doesn't quite have a goal for this series beyond slice-of-life or is fleshing it out behind the scenes.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-27, 07:54   Link #11
solomon

I really like it, Arakawa-sensei being from rural hokkaido is knowledgable about this stuff so you can really see the thought and love she put into the story.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-24, 10:03   Link #12
solomon

Dude am I the only one reading this? This manga is tits! Great slice of life story.

And it's nice to get away for the center of the known universe (I.E. Tokyo) for once.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-24, 10:52   Link #13
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I've just read the first chapter, and i'm rather impressed. Arakawa's life experiences really shine here, so i say it's about time she wrote such a story. At the moment i'm not bothered where this goes, i just hope for each chapter to be charming as the first.

Plus it has typical Fullmetal Alchemist humour, which i love so much.
Old 2011-07-24, 19:16   Link #14
Grey

I read it. But it's so laid-back there's not much to say.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 07:22   Link #15
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

This is one of my favorite weekly running series for now, but like the above poster said, there's not much to talk about. I mean, the only mystery worth discussing that's still going on in the series so far seems to be Hachiken's past.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-29, 12:21   Link #16
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I just wish we had more people reading Silver Spoon, especially the FMA fans who would really appreciate the writing and humour. Shame they're too busy bashing it because of it's setting and story.
Old 2011-07-29, 13:31   Link #17
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

^Eh, it's probably the same crowd that'll bash everything she produces that isn't an FMA continuation of some kind.

I agree with others here though, it's nice and all, but there's not much to discuss.

...I guess we could talk about pizza. I used to hate it you know, especially that horrible "pepperoni" fat and ketchup horror show Americans call pizza*. Then I once ate real, fresh Italian pizza, with tomato so fresh you'd think they just picked it off a garden, and I saw the light. Gods did I see the light.

So I was happy to see city boy cook up fresh, real pizza for everyone.

*real NYC pizza exempted*
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-29, 13:41   Link #18
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
^Eh, it's probably the same crowd that'll bash everything she produces that isn't an FMA continuation of some kind.
Pretty much. A few of them seem to give Silver Spoon a chance though.

I'm really excited to see what the new set-up will bring. Seriously need chapter 12.
Old 2011-07-29, 16:28   Link #19
yongshun

I did not know Armstrong is a member of the staff at this school. Wonder what class he teaches

Head or Gut?
yongshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-30, 10:56   Link #20
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I highly enjoy Silver Spoon. But really... as mentioned, there's nothing really much to discuss about it. Despite already having 11 chapters and what I would say... relatively decent character development in that short amount of chapters, it has really only scratched the surface of the character drama that Silver Spoon is heading towards.

If there was one complaint I have on Silver Spoon... it is that I really wish it could have more 'info-dumping' at times. Part of the charm of such a manga is absorbing all the new things you've only known as a general knowledge or as a textbook/wikipedia material in a 'day-by-days' livelihood fashion.

Just a little bit more though. Frankly, I'm also enjoying how naturalistic the pace of the story is, without forcing too much "AGRICULTURE FOR IDIOTS 101"...

So I'm as conflicted as the fact that pigs taste so good.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shounen