AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-12-10, 15:53   Link #441
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
It's not just a Hollywood thing. I'm rather surprised that it doesn't exist in your Canadian high school since it certainly existed in my US high school.
Really..?

It didn't exist in my high school. I figured it was just something made up or something that happened in times past, until I got to college and met people who had gone through that.

Not to say that my high school didn't have varying groups of people -- certainly there were circles of friends -- but there was never any sort of "we run this place" vibe from any of them.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-10, 16:31   Link #442
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'd like to ask about those paper tags that appear in anime with a mystic (Shinto?) side. These are small rectangular pieces of paper, perhaps 10x20 cm, with writing or symbols on them. They're used in Mononoke as a means of building magical walls to protect against demons. In Dennou Coil, set nearly two hundred years later, they're used to infuse people with cyber ("Dennou") powers. I think I've seen them in other shows as well, but they're quite prevalent in both Mononoke and Dennou Coil.

I'm guessing the Mononoke presentation has some historical basis, that such items were used by priests, shaman, whatever, as a weapon against demons?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-10, 16:55   Link #443
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

I also have a similar question about Japanese mysticism (not sure if it is Shinto or not since it is apparently known in Korea as well). Japanese ghosts are depicted as just normal people with these thin white headbands that has an equilateral white triangle sticking out on top in the front. What is that?
Old 2007-12-10, 23:56   Link #444
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'd like to ask about those paper tags that appear in anime with a mystic (Shinto?) side. These are small rectangular pieces of paper, perhaps 10x20 cm, with writing or symbols on them. They're used in Mononoke as a means of building magical walls to protect against demons. In Dennou Coil, set nearly two hundred years later, they're used to infuse people with cyber ("Dennou") powers. I think I've seen them in other shows as well, but they're quite prevalent in both Mononoke and Dennou Coil.

I'm guessing the Mononoke presentation has some historical basis, that such items were used by priests, shaman, whatever, as a weapon against demons?
Those charms are called Ofuda. They are shinto in origin and obviously inspired the cyber talismans in Dennou Coil. They contain spiritual power that is dangerous to supernatural entities in the hands of a properly trained individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
I also have a similar question about Japanese mysticism (not sure if it is Shinto or not since it is apparently known in Korea as well). Japanese ghosts are depicted as just normal people with these thin white headbands that has an equilateral white triangle sticking out on top in the front. What is that?
That's not quite right. Japanese ghosts are not quite normal people -- they have no feet. (Their legs just sort of trail off and become misty.) I don't know what that unusual headgear is called, but yeah, ghosts are usually portrayed wearing it.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 00:28   Link #445
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I want to say that headgear is what the deceased wear during a buddhist funeral before being cremated but I'm a bit foggy on it so am researching.
Old 2007-12-11, 00:36   Link #446
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Do Japanese nurses really dress in pink? Or does that only occur in anime?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 01:17   Link #447
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
There are actually some hospital in Japan that adopt the pink nurse uniform over the traditional white.
Don't ask me why.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 01:17   Link #448
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
It occurs in real life, at least in Korea (however, I've never seen one in a general hospital, only in those small ones.)
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 01:29   Link #449
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Those charms are called Ofuda. They are shinto in origin and obviously inspired the cyber talismans in Dennou Coil. They contain spiritual power that is dangerous to supernatural entities in the hands of a properly trained individual.
Actually it's vague since some say they originate from Chinese Onmyo gogyo setsu (陰陽五行説) which was brought into Japan around 7~8th century which mixed with Buddhism and Shintoism through time.

Shikigami (式神), the paper figures you see in Kekaishi, is also an Onmyo gogyo setsu creation.
Old 2007-12-11, 01:31   Link #450
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Are Bloomers (buruma) still in use in Japanese schools ? or the fad has passed out and its an anime only thing

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
There are actually some hospital in Japan that adopt the pink nurse uniform over the traditional white.
Don't ask me why.
Everything is so much better in Japan
Old 2007-12-11, 01:35   Link #451
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
Are Bloomers (buruma) still in use in Japanese schools ? or the fad has passed out and its an anime only thing

Everything is so much better in Japan
Really don't know since it has been awhile since I've been to school.
I hear alot of schools are selecting spats over buruma as physical educational uniforms though.
Old 2007-12-11, 01:41   Link #452
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
They still exist, although now the majority is spats/jogging suits.
Old 2007-12-11, 02:10   Link #453
Dxon
Inactive Member

What is a bloomer? O_o
Dxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 02:13   Link #454
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dxon View Post
What is a bloomer? O_o
This:

Old 2007-12-11, 02:55   Link #455
Thingle
Banned

Why discontinue it? It looks good, esp. if you're a male looking from point blank.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 02:56   Link #456
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

From looking at the pic, isn't it from one of those Japanese talk shows? I've always wondered...why do they show that ridiculous text every few seconds?
Like in the picture, they are clearly bloomers. I'm sure Japanese people don't need that spelled out in huge red font. It's on all Chinese/Japanese/Korean talk shows...seriously...writing out every punchline is just excessive. I mean, we can understand whats going on without the subtitles and sound effects...
Old 2007-12-11, 02:56   Link #457
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
Why discontinue it? It looks good, esp. if you're a male looking from point blank.
That's exactly the reason.

Most girls hate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
From looking at the pic, isn't it from one of those Japanese talk shows? I've always wondered...why do they show that ridiculous text every few seconds?
Like in the picture, they are clearly bloomers. I'm sure Japanese people don't need that spelled out in huge red font. It's on all Chinese/Japanese/Korean talk shows...seriously...writing out every punchline is just excessive. I mean, we can understand whats going on without the subtitles and sound effects...
That how we like it (well, I personally don't watch much, but anyway.....)
Old 2007-12-11, 03:22   Link #458
HASHIRIYA
legend in my spare time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
sexist ponts of view basically. esp over there with what is legal in toyko compared to the rest of the world. basically there is a demand for it and they are (very) slowly changing it.
might be acceptable in an all girls school but make that a required uniform in a mixed public school over here and it would never work out
HASHIRIYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 10:53   Link #459
barefoot

hmm does uni students in Japan really start looking for jobs(jobs meant after they graduate) during their 3rd or final year?
barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 10:59   Link #460
Dxon
Inactive Member

I once read a journal of a american girl who went to Japan with her parents. She wrote a lot of things down about her school. And she also mentioned that all girls hate the bloomers. Except for a few. :P
Dxon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture