Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2009-07-02, 16:59   Link #1301
Fran~
floating away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
She needs a ship, crew and a parrot to complete the look.
It's plenty of ships here and there (leave it to Kensuke, as a military-tard he will find one good enough), the crew are the ones of NERV of course, Hikari would be the X.O. and the parrot, of course, is Shinji.

We're set to sail YAAAARRRRRRR....
Old 2009-07-02, 17:58   Link #1302
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
*face palms* Oh, now instead of raging we're now making fun of the eyepatch? Give it a rest guys.

Interesting in the preview we're looking at a... Rei in the AU school uniform protecting multiple chibi-Rei's?
Old 2009-07-02, 18:33   Link #1303
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran~ View Post
It's plenty of ships here and there (leave it to Kensuke, as a military-tard he will find one good enough), the crew are the ones of NERV of course, Hikari would be the X.O. and the parrot, of course, is Shinji.

We're set to sail YAAAARRRRRRR....
Ooh I like that.

Wonder how Shinji can perch on Asuka's shoulder... What about Mari though?

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 19:49   Link #1304
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
*face palms* Oh, now instead of raging we're now making fun of the eyepatch? Give it a rest guys.
But eye-patches are sexy awesome
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 20:03   Link #1305
linkinstreet
[Your] clan on Steam

Send a message via MSN to linkinstreet Send a message via Yahoo to linkinstreet
Pfft! I wonder why people call them pirate eye-patch when it has nothing to do with pirates. It's an odinary eyepatch, but just because you would only see them on pirates, you associate them with it. Go out to any medical pharmacy, and you will see that they sell the same thing
The medical patch is not a long term answer. It's there just for the wounds to heal. After that there is no reason for them to use that kind of patch anymore. as it's uncomfortable and absorbs moisture from the outside
linkinstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 20:32   Link #1306
Fran~
floating away...

Ah come on, chill out... it's just a joke, sorry if someone didn't like it.
Old 2009-07-02, 20:34   Link #1307
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkinstreet View Post
The medical patch is not a long term answer. It's there just for the wounds to heal. After that there is no reason for them to use that kind of patch anymore. as it's uncomfortable and absorbs moisture from the outside
As anyone who'd experienced any major head trauma, or had eye operations (raises hand) can point out. Not that any of the complainers here have though, haha.
Old 2009-07-03, 15:41   Link #1308
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
And I still think whining about an EYEPATCH is silly.
And I think trying to explain it is just as silly because so far you haven't given any real justification for it just that it costs less than glass eye, but considering that NERV budged such argument is at very least idiotic.

The most annoying thing about eye-patch is that we will be getting so many crappy jokes and crappy pics regarding it for years to come.

Spoiler for For example:

Though I have to say that the new half-transparent Asuka's plug-suit and connectors is just as silly. The only good thing is that they are test type.

Spoiler for For those who dont kno what I am talking about:

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2009-07-03 at 18:48.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 19:23   Link #1309
linkinstreet
[Your] clan on Steam

Send a message via MSN to linkinstreet Send a message via Yahoo to linkinstreet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Though I have to say that the new half-transparent Asuka's plug-suit and connectors is just as silly. The only good thing is that they are test type.

Spoiler for For those who dont kno what I am talking about:
It won't be silly anymore once someone tries to cosplay them
linkinstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 23:04   Link #1310
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

That "crappy pic" you used as the example isn't. I enjoyed it, really.
Old 2009-07-04, 01:11   Link #1311
_gallo_

Seems nobody posted this yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7i6m0Yi5sY&fmt=22

It's the trailer that has aired after the tv broadcast of 1.0. Is it only me or the production values of this second movie looks better than the first one?

[... the secret of the Great Stories is that they have no secrets. The Great Stories are the ones you have heard and want to hear again. The ones you can enter anywhere and inhabit comfortably. They don't deceive you with thrills and trick endings. They don't surprise you with the unforeseen.. They are as familiar as the house you live in. Or the smell of your lover's skin. You know how they end yet you listen as though you don't. In the way that you know that one day you will die, you live as though you won't. In the Great Stories you know who lives, who dies, who finds love, who doesn't. And yet you want to know again. That is their mystery and their magic. ...] Arundhati Roy
_gallo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-04, 04:11   Link #1312
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkinstreet View Post
It won't be silly anymore once someone tries to cosplay them
As long as they do not mind getting arrested for exhibitionism
Old 2009-07-04, 08:15   Link #1313
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Red face

Quote:
And I think trying to explain it is just as silly because so far you haven't given any real justification for it just that it costs less than glass eye, but considering that NERV budget such argument is at very least idiotic.
Again, I'm asking why it's even an issue. It's a cosmetic and aesthetic choice, for sure, but if you've been around a while in the Western fandom, you'd have EXPECTED it. I'm only surprised they went with the default black instead of, oh, the expected red.

As for the niggling details you've mentioned, one, no one knows just how much budget NERV had, and how much of it is actually allocated for its medical facilities and staff, nevermind injury insurance for its personnel -- it's not even in the Big Red Book/EVA Bible, so any or all values can be considered suspect and fanwank.

I'm going to have to go by Occam's Razor by this, and that the simplest in-universe answer is the most likely; it's an issue of practicality. A simple eyepatch is low-maintenance and cheap. A glass eye, while it might go a ways into making someone look more whole, has the drawback of requiring more maintenance (yes, antiseptic does figure in the use of a glass eye). Also, an eyepatch doesn't have the danger of getting knocked out of a person's head (it happens!).

So, yeah. It's a really silly reason to diss the movie. Seriously, complain about Mari being almost everywhere.
Old 2009-07-04, 10:44   Link #1314
Darknemo2000

Well glass eye adds more psychological comfort than an eye-patch, and considering how unstable Asuka is it would be beneficial solution for the NERV as well.

But again, when I am speculating I am speculating about Sohryu personality, so for what I have learned about captain Shikinami she does not ahve much to do with the original Sohryu character. Gone are her psycho features (they went to Mari's character, just like Asuka's flirting side), leaving as with a standard harem tsundere-moe character, and what is worse revealing her past (if it will be done at all) maight not give her more character depth as well since the fact that she is not afraid of dolls but in fact likes them calling a gift from her mother, implies that she did not have had a tragic past, that maight have given a twist to her character.

Heck from the preview she looks like happy pirate. Kind of similar to Sadamoto's manga's Asuka-karate-bimbo character.

And with an eye-patch she even fails as an eye-candy. If she was at least psycho then we could count that as a sign of her being bad-ass but her psycho side went as mentioned to Mari...
Old 2009-07-04, 22:58   Link #1315
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Wink

Quote:
If she was at least psycho then we could count that as a sign of her being bad-ass but her psycho side went as mentioned to Mari...
Mari's supposed to be an anachronism by design (EVA is still a deconstruction of the genre), as her personality owes more to the 70's Super Robot pilot -- hotblooded and brash. Asuka still retains her own brashness and high strung bravado, but with TWO heroines sharing the trait the effect is just diluted.
Old 2009-07-04, 23:11   Link #1316
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Asuka fails at psycho, even in the original. If you think that is psycho, then I guess you're easily satisfied.
Old 2009-07-04, 23:38   Link #1317
UnDeaD

Quote:
Mari's supposed to be an anachronism by design (EVA is still a deconstruction of the genre), as her personality owes more to the 70's Super Robot pilot -- hotblooded and brash. Asuka still retains her own brashness and high strung bravado, but with TWO heroines sharing the trait the effect is just diluted.
Eva was never a deconstruction of the genre, drop the badly researched TVTropes crap.
UnDeaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 00:32   Link #1318
jonli
JONLIの憂'

ASUKA! If you're not gonna swallow it! It's going into your eye!
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 04:19   Link #1319
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnDeaD View Post
Eva was never a deconstruction of the genre, drop the badly researched TVTropes crap.
I won't call it a deconstruction. It's just different. Whether it's deliberate or not, I don't know.
Old 2009-07-05, 05:31   Link #1320
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnDeaD View Post
Wow, I was basing it on my own experience in the EVA fandom since, y'know, I was actually there when it started. If you don't like the term Deconstruction, then how about a Paradigm Shift?

Tags
movie, remake