AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 57 36.54%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 55 35.26%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 31 19.87%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 3.21%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 2.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 2.56%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-16, 11:45   Link #221
Noppapana
> Haruhiist <

Send a message via MSN to Noppapana
okay its probably asking the obvious
but i just want to be sure ... what are tsukasa and kagami talking about in 16:50-16:57 ?
Old 2007-05-16, 12:45   Link #222
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm guessing the extraordinarily animated glowy shot of the seagull with the ocean backdrop is all the "AIR reference" you're going to get.

I will bet the hotel is patterned after a real one (one I wouldn't mind staying at) ... it was kind of a grin to watch Kona float through what was essentially a "vacation of otaku-refs" fully aware of each one.
Old 2007-05-16, 13:02   Link #223
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm guessing the extraordinarily animated glowy shot of the seagull with the ocean backdrop is all the "AIR reference" you're going to get.

I will bet the hotel is patterned after a real one (one I wouldn't mind staying at) ... it was kind of a grin to watch Kona float through what was essentially a "vacation of otaku-refs" fully aware of each one.
Those "Searing Light" shots are one of the things I don't like about Kyoto Animation's style along with their faces (Lucky Star being the exception, although even Konata's face got a bit weird in episode 5). Anyway, I don't care where you are in Japan, no light is that intense. I've walked away from many a Kanon episode with a mild headache from that searing light, and if any show is deserving of the "When watching Anime please make sure you sit blabla away from TV and blabla lighted room" thing it's their shows.
Old 2007-05-16, 13:08   Link #224
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

As far as "style" goes.... yeah, I suppose that's a KyoAni special .... kind of like you can look at a Ghilbli film shot and go "ah ha". I've been liking Gurren Lagann's willingness to put their subjects in patterned shadows - that with the rich colors really makes that show more vibrant. Episode 6 of L*S really came closer to that crafted look of depth in many sequences (no, not the CGI sequence). I have seen that kind of searing light at the beach down at San Diego or the Texas Gulf Coast... but rarely/never up at higher latitudes.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-05-16 at 13:34.
Old 2007-05-16, 13:11   Link #225
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Having seen some people criticizing the a.f.k. sub, I wanted to say that I thought the translation was extremely good, very sensitive and inventive. A great example of the translator's art. I might have done some things differently, but so what. And I personally prefer to see explanations added in notes where necessary, but it's reasonable not to do that, too.

Although I don't get many of the references first time through, they are funny anyway. The racing sequence was like that for me. I've never seen Initial D, but it was hilariously well done anyway. Timotei was one thing I'd have been glad to see three seconds of note for ("note: 1980s commercial for Timotei shampoo.")

And I differ with Kaioshin again: Kyoto is at 35 degrees latitude (=Casablanca, Tehran, San Luis Obispo), and in my experience the light can actually be quite intense. Not that that matters, since this is art. In any case, I personally like those sparkling lights.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-05-16 at 13:22.
Old 2007-05-16, 13:29   Link #226
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye.... I would have just guessed "they're riffing on some racing game" if I'd not seen the posts saying "omgbbq, its Init.D). And the Timotei shampoo did rate a footnote, although again astute observers might have guessed it must be some product reference. Without the footnote though, Nanako's "How old *are* you?" remark could be mistaken the wrong way (i.e. asking if she was being immature).

Just to answer Noppapana:
16;50 .... its never *explicitly* stated in the comic or the anime,
Spoiler:

Another random bit.... I *loved* the insane traditional music used as BGM around 5:20+ when Kagami and Kona are chatting.... at least PPD-worthy insane

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-05-16 at 13:42.
Old 2007-05-16, 15:05   Link #227
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
9) I was feeling VERY uncomfortable when the twins started their "girl talk".

Is KyoAni catering to the ladies, now?
My very small comment on that: I think it was perfectly acceptable to add that in because it's what girls in a washroom might really talk about... I've overheard a few similar conversations at the place I sometimes go to. (Although I'm more of the type to skip the talking and just pouring cold water down your back... my sister HATES that; that she hates it makes me love doing it more. )
Old 2007-05-16, 15:24   Link #228
BOZZY

Just curious but what was that song that was played during the Initial D parody at the beginning of the episode?
Old 2007-05-16, 15:28   Link #229
a hobbit
a hibbity hobbity hooobit

haha i thought this episode was great^^ all the references were great, i liked the fmp one to the watermelon haha
Old 2007-05-16, 15:51   Link #230
aorta

Quote:
Without the footnote though, Nanako's "How old *are* you?" remark could be mistaken the wrong way (i.e. asking if she was being immature).
But doesn't Yui say I remember that, like it's something out of the past?

What is Konata referencing when she talks about leaving her memories at school? (17:55)
Old 2007-05-16, 16:10   Link #231
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Another random bit.... I *loved* the insane traditional music used as BGM around 5:20+ when Kagami and Kona are chatting.... at least PPD-worthy insane
Kousaki Satoru has created some awesome BGM's for Lucky Star so far, just like the one you mentioned. No surprise coming from the guy behind the Suzumiya Haruhi musical score.

Haneoka Kei is on a complete different level of insane (the man behind PaniPoni Dash, Negima!? & Rec scores).
Old 2007-05-16, 16:26   Link #232
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Makes sense... I've got the PPD OST which has some BGM tunes that rank up there as some really *good* music parody of classic tunes.
Old 2007-05-16, 16:39   Link #233
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Makes sense... I've got the PPD OST which has some BGM tunes that rank up there as some really *good* music parody of classic tunes.
Yeah, the BGM's fit perfectly with PPD's style so to speak. His score for Negima?! is just down right insane --- though i love. <3

Getting back to the score for Lucky Star. It may not be ground breaking, though its doing a wonderful job. I can't help but hum along to most of them --- i can never get some of them out of my head.
Old 2007-05-16, 16:41   Link #234
Seiryuu

Thoughts on the ep post-beach:
Kagami shouldn't be so upset that her elder sister is dumping old stuff on her. Just give her a few years more and she can do what my own sisters did - randomly grab the outfit you want from sis's closet and never let her see it except when it's on your person. Sis will probably stop dumping clothes on Kagami if Kagami's stealing all the good outfits.
The whole album conversation sort of surprised me. I guess the mother must have seen something humorous in whatever had happened? I've heard plenty stories of girls around 7-9 randomly storming in in order to see what "it" looks like, or to show their friends. I think of comic Bill Engvall, who was in the shower when the curtain got ripped away and his nine-year-old daughter was standing there with her friend, and all she said was "See, I told you so!". While I've heard of crazy stuff, I've never heard of anyone bringing a camera!
Also, not to disagree with several people here but I prefer Kagami's singing voice to Tsukasa's, there's no depth or richness. She sounds just like an average girl singing karaoke, not an idol. And Tsukasa does NOT do well in school, unless one considers barely surpassing 50% on a test to be an accomplishment.
Old 2007-05-16, 16:47   Link #235
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Bathtub pics of "the kids" are almost a universal thing. In Japan, it just so happens that bathing is a family affair ... so probably the shot is of dad in the tub with the twins when they were 3 or 4 (and not enough scrubbing bubbles).
Old 2007-05-16, 17:25   Link #236
krln99

I don't think Tsukasa is THAT dumb, or she wouldn't have been able to get into the same school as her sister. Her problem is she doesn't study, relies on her sister too much, and doesn't have the knack for cramming like Konata. In fact, her biggest problem is staying awake For example, notice in Ep 5 where Konata keeps on bugging Kagami for answers, by the last scene, Tsukasa is already sleeping at the table.
Old 2007-05-16, 17:31   Link #237
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by krln99 View Post
I don't think Tsukasa is THAT dumb, or she wouldn't have been able to get into the same school as her sister. Her problem is she doesn't study, relies on her sister too much, and doesn't have the knack for cramming like Konata. In fact, her biggest problem is staying awake For example, notice in Ep 5 where Konata keeps on bugging Kagami for answers, by the last scene, Tsukasa is already sleeping at the table.
and if that isnt classed as a moe point i duno what is ~ fighto! tsukasa *snores*

yui and Nanako need their own spin off tbh...kick out LC and add "the mini adventures of yui and Nanako" ~ and that should last at least 5 mins per sketch :3

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-16, 17:37   Link #238
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
She sounds just like an average girl singing karaoke, not an idol.
That's what I like about it... These girls aren't supposed to be idols singing karaoke.

Kagami's got lots of school smarts but Tsukasa tries hard and isn't able to do as well... Granted, she doesn't try quite as hard as Kagami but she does put forth a decent amount of effort unlike Konata. Her cluelessness and her inability to stay awake to study really do add to her cuteness. Tsukasa appears to be good at housework and specifically cooking, which isn't without value either.... So you can say that it's true she may not be smart at school, but she's not necessarily a dumb person all around.

Last edited by kj1980; 2007-05-16 at 17:57. Reason: x Kagamiya o Kagami
Old 2007-05-16, 18:25   Link #239
Seiryuu

One thing I'm wondering about the conversation between Tsukasa and Kagami. I think we've fairly well established what Kagami was worried about happening that day, and what she suspected of Konata. But what is "that" that they refer to when they say using "that" makes you have second thoughts? If it's what I think it is I've heard that most concerns about it are misconceptions.
Old 2007-05-16, 18:29   Link #240
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

...kj1980...please remind me why you had to edit out the Kagami in Risaa's post.

Last edited by kj1980; 2007-05-16 at 18:41.
Closed Thread