AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 14 14.43%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.02%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 20.62%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 15.46%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 10.31%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 3.09%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.03%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.03%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-26, 03:34   Link #101
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzia_n View Post
wait is this a speculation or an actual spoiler?
It's just a random guess, though I've already moved it to the "first time spoilers & spec" thread, so i'll just delete it since it really does sound like a spoiler

EDIT: Eh... I should have just used a spoiler tag and labeled it "speculation" <,<
Old 2008-10-26, 09:15   Link #102
Toffeerollx
TsuruyaxMikuru Glomp~
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Toffeerollx
I think Taiga was really cute in this ep. Having all these mood swings. And it was sad when she was talking on the rooftop.
Old 2008-10-26, 12:36   Link #103
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
I dont see any cuteness in the way she treats Ryuuji. And her constant drooling over the Goof is certainly more annoying than cute.
Old 2008-10-26, 12:44   Link #104
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I dont see any cuteness in the way she treats Ryuuji. And her constant drooling over the Goof is certainly more annoying than cute.
aye, I think we've gotten that view now. But not everyone sees it that way. ;P

Another point of view would be that she's pathetically cute in episode 4. For what amounts to the entire episode her heart is beating so wildly she's nearly incoherent and the way she melts when Ryuuji offers to take the photos for her -- its like watching a small child that can't reach that box on the high shelf, he can't stop himself from helping her. I suppose one might take bets on how many episodes she's going to be reaching for the wrong goal --- but since it sounds like we're going to get a double batch (2-12 ep packs) it's going to be a while.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-10-26 at 13:06.
Old 2008-10-26, 14:20   Link #105
Dop
Mmmm....

So many series have had some parody of 'Starbucks', that when Ryuuji is in 'Sudoh-bucks' and says "How is this place not getting sued?" was brilliant.
Old 2008-10-26, 16:27   Link #106
SkoolRumble4Ya

What a shocker who would've thought that kitamura love Taiga. Doesn't it mean that Taiga and Kitamura still have a chance to be together.
Old 2008-10-26, 17:14   Link #107
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
No it doensn't. If you would watch it carefully you would see taht he has another love interest now - Taiga is in the past.
Old 2008-10-26, 22:04   Link #108
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by pparker View Post
Every time I watch an episode of this show, I think "meh", then I come here and read the comments and sort of wonder. What is it about this show that makes so many people rate it above average, when it only really stands out for the art and occasional new twist on an old situation? The characters are somewhat unique, though still expansions/variations on stock personalities (except Taiga, who is a pure-blood, two-note tsundere).
Well, what appeals to me is exactly that. This show is clearly about its characters, and while those characters are based on pretty standard archetypes, they've really put a lot of effort into adding the slight "variations" and idiosyncrasies into them in the first four episodes. In other words, they may not be new, but they're still different and just unique enough to be interesting.

The character interactions are another boon for this show as well. I wouldn't call them "fantastic" as I would other shows (Kannagi could possibly approach that territory, but I still think it's too early to call), but they're still interesting and fairly amusing. Yes, we could probably do with a few less instances of Taiga poking Ryuuji in the eyes or other such violence, but it hasn't quite gotten repetitive enough to annoy me yet. As for the comedy, well, comedy is the most subjective thing in anime. When it comes to comedy in anime, it's almost always a case of "YMMV". I wouldn't call the comedy in this "ROFL" funny, but every episode has had its moments so far.
Old 2008-10-26, 23:30   Link #109
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

I'm glad they put the revelation of Kitamura's confession back in, even if it would've been better used in Episode 2 when SHE confessed to Kitamura. With that to provide context, it would've been easier to explain why Kitamura turned her down as he did in wanting to keep things at a friend-level while showing why SHE wanted him at all. Basically, she was tsundere enough to atomatically refuse him... but that's when she noticed him, and noticed the qualities she liked in him which she really doesn't find in herself - but at the sme time, which she admires in others like Kitamura. Ryuuji shares some of these traits, which is why she isn't automatically chasing Ryuuji off with her shinai, and at the same time she appreciates the acceptance she gets from Ryuuji's family - the sort of thing she doesn't get at home, which was why she moved out. That's pretty much the reason why she gets funny faces around Kitamura and Ryuuji, when everyone else gets the glare of doom.

Now let's see how things develop with Ami - she really gets Taiga going, and in the 'I want to make her hurt' sort of way... the way that she's doing to Ryuuji right now, but really shouldn't be to avoid a full-on 'violent tsundere' cliche.
Old 2008-10-26, 23:35   Link #110
frubam
simp for Lyria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
No it doensn't. If you would watch it carefully you would see taht he has another love interest now - Taiga is in the past.
There is no indication that he has nor has had another love interest other than Taiga. I also disagree that Taiga is "in the past", esp since he asked her to become friends.
Old 2008-10-26, 23:39   Link #111
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
There is no indication that he has nor has had another love interest other than Taiga.
Well, it's more Kitamura doesn't appear interested in Taiga as a lover as of her confession to him. Not that the somewhat bungled, in my books, confession that they did here (instead of having her start with 'I love you!') helps that impression. Of course, the way she reveals here that Kitamura did confess to her and was interested in her at one point - as every boy in the school was, and how she developed her Palmtop Tiger reputation - explains why she noticed him at all and liked him, since everything we've seen of Kitamura up to this episode makes him look rather plain and uninteresting.
Old 2008-10-27, 03:45   Link #112
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I agree with Ryuji. If Kitamura still likes her enough to carry a picture around, why doesn't he just go out with her so we can move on to Ryuji's efforts? I find it much easier to cheer for him.
Old 2008-10-27, 04:42   Link #113
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I agree with Ryuji. If Kitamura still likes her enough to carry a picture around, why doesn't he just go out with her so we can move on to Ryuji's efforts? I find it much easier to cheer for him.
Didn't Kitamura say that he had forgotten that he had the picture? There's no indication that he still likes her.
Old 2008-10-27, 07:09   Link #114
pparker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Ah well interests do fade some time. I was once an addict of MMORPGs and Strategy gaming, but now, I have taken an interest in something else, anime.

Maybe you should switch to another anime, there are so many out there if this doesn't suit your taste. I watched ef - tales of memories for 2-3 eps and gave up, the storyline is so boring.
LOL, that's a series I really like (though I don't consider it a comedy at all)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I find the humor derived from the collision of such dysfunctional personalities to be one of the stronger points of the series.
Yeah, the characters are what keeps me watching despite my doubts. That's the odd part, there being some attraction I can't quite identify, and it must be the writing is better and more subtle than I imagine, in addition to the occasional LOL character reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
This show is clearly about its characters...

The character interactions are another boon for this show as well. I wouldn't call them "fantastic" as I would other shows (Kannagi could possibly approach that territory, but I still think it's too early to call)...
Kannagi. Now there's clearly my top comedy. Up through ep 3 was awesome, ep 4 a bit of a slump, I felt, but I haven't lost faith.
Old 2008-10-27, 08:18   Link #115
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well, we'd certainly like to think so.... Ryuuji certainly scored with that rather erotic photo of Minorin happily covered in pudding o.O
Spoiler for lol its indeed erotic:
Old 2008-10-27, 08:31   Link #116
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
God Tagia's mood swings are so damn funny you just dont know what the Palm Top Tiger is going to pull next. Like that flying jump kick that came out of no where. She went from cute and girly to angry and violent in like 2 seconds and he didnt even do anything lmao. Shes reminds me of sweet and sour sauce.

Cant wait to see where the romance factor is going to head too.
Old 2008-10-27, 10:32   Link #117
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by margafred View Post
<----See my avatar for my response.
Old 2008-10-27, 13:44   Link #118
frubam
simp for Lyria

Quote:
Originally Posted by margafred View Post
LOL did you make that or did you find it somewhere ?
Old 2008-10-27, 13:48   Link #119
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
I'm glad they put the revelation of Kitamura's confession back in, even if it would've been better used in Episode 2 when SHE confessed to Kitamura. With that to provide context, it would've been easier to explain why Kitamura turned her down as he did
In the post-Haruhi world I have come to expect events to be revealed in a jumbled up order, and although it doesn't always work I think in this case it does help add a certain mysterious quality to the story.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Old 2008-10-27, 19:05   Link #120
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
In the post-Haruhi world I have come to expect events to be revealed in a jumbled up order, and although it doesn't always work I think in this case it does help add a certain mysterious quality to the story.
They could've put it into Episode 3 too... but here? It just felt a bit out of place, even if it explains WHY Taiga likes Kitamura at all. Cause, y'know, he's not exactly the most attractive or visibly 'nice guy' out there since we're following Ryuuji all the time. At least with this explanation put back in, we've been given some context to why things worked out the way they did.

And of course, to show that tsundere responses don't necessarily get the guys. Sometimes... they just don't work, as appears to be the case with Kitamura and Taiga. Now she's dere-dere for him, but he's not apparently interested.
Closed Thread