Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-29, 23:45   Link #241
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretzfan View Post
What are you talking about they don't think he's dead. After Luffy rang the bell the new then he was alive they even started saying that he was in the leagues with rayleigh
That was before he went missing for 2 years. Luffy, before break, was known for creating havoc where ever he went. So, if he was still alive, the marines would have expected a great deal of fuss from him. But there hasn't been a peep from him for the entire time, and no mention of his crew has surfaced either. So, the marines assumed that he was dead.
Old 2010-09-30, 00:10   Link #242
secretzfan
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
That was before he went missing for 2 years. Luffy, before break, was known for creating havoc where ever he went. So, if he was still alive, the marines would have expected a great deal of fuss from him. But there hasn't been a peep from him for the entire time, and no mention of his crew has surfaced either. So, the marines assumed that he was dead.
It isn't even official, but as I said before they could have belied he was in hiding either way his bounty would go way up. Rather if they thought he was dead or alive they still need that record
Old 2010-09-30, 00:21   Link #243
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
However this shouldn't affect how they proceed with the bounty. They definately increased it after the war and the incident with the bell.
It's not like they said "Hey, Strawhat Luffy is creating problems everywhere. Lets wait a few months what he will do next until we increase the bounty."
It could very well be that in the weeks and months after the "War", while Marineford was recovering and during their move, the WG just didn't get around to changing Luffy's bounty. Then, by the time they recovered and moved, Luffy had been silent for such a time that doubt began to rise as to his survival or not. Bada Bing, Bada Boom - instant freeze on Luffy and the Strawhats bounties. .
Old 2010-09-30, 00:49   Link #244
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

Both sides of the argument are slightly valid: I maintain that his bounty should have been increased after the incidents. We even saw a frame in the Marine HQ's "Agenda" room with around ten or more most likely Vice Admiral level marines discussing Luffy. It's hard to believe that a new bounty wouldn't have been issued.

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Old 2010-09-30, 01:07   Link #245
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
From what you guys have said Zoro hasn't appeared? If thats the case what is the bet that Zoro got lost along the way?
Old 2010-09-30, 01:11   Link #246
Gin
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashesatdusk View Post
From what you guys have said Zoro hasn't appeared? If thats the case what is the bet that Zoro got lost along the way?
Zoro was the first to arrive back at SA, he's just not in this chapter.
Old 2010-09-30, 02:38   Link #247
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

anyone else wondering why Oda made a special point of telling us that Luffy (and Rayleigh) has had half a year of solitude and free time away from each other?

My first thought was so that Rayleigh could be surprised by Luffy's progress in such a short period of absence, but it doesn't seem very useful or relevant. I wonder if it has something to do with Rayleigh having to retrieve thousand sunny from the hands of the marines/ Kuma.

It could also be a perfect start of the arc for Luffy and gang to go save Rayleigh who was captured (due to being outnumbered?) thereby showing their improved abilities.

Actually I think they should just abandon thousand sunny and get Franky to build a new one. Given all the new technology and stuff he should have picked up from Vegapunk, that would be the more logical choice. He probably doesn't even need the wood anymore when he can build the ship from metal or even seastone. If they can build cyborgs and lasers they should be able make metal ships....
Old 2010-09-30, 02:56   Link #248
seiji_kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisoka?? View Post
anyone else wondering why Oda made a special point of telling us that Luffy (and Rayleigh) has had half a year of solitude and free time away from each other?

My first thought was so that Rayleigh could be surprised by Luffy's progress in such a short period of absence, but it doesn't seem very useful or relevant. I wonder if it has something to do with Rayleigh having to retrieve thousand sunny from the hands of the marines/ Kuma.

It could also be a perfect start of the arc for Luffy and gang to go save Rayleigh who was captured (due to being outnumbered?) thereby showing their improved abilities.
He probably thought after teaching him the basics there wasn't any point in him staying behind cause him figuring out things on his own would be for the better. I'd almost also want to say it's also cause he would rely solely on himself and not Rayleigh to but I doubt Rayleigh would have let him rely on him and Luffy isn't the type to rely on others. Especially since after 1.5 year he was probably already king of the island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisoka?? View Post
Actually I think they should just abandon thousand sunny and get Franky to build a new one. Given all the new technology and stuff he should have picked up from Vegapunk, that would be the more logical choice. He probably doesn't even need the wood anymore when he can build the ship from metal or even seastone. If they can build cyborgs and lasers they should be able make metal ships....
The strawhats get emotionally attached to their ships, bye no means are they going to abandon Sunny. And Oda drove home the point that Roger's ship was also made of Adam wood so that it's clear that Sunny is the ship that they'll sail to Raftel with. Let alone that Sunny is far to cool to leave alone and still has one dock left to fit something in which seems to have been reserved for filling up post-timeskip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
Zoro was the first to arrive back at SA, he's just not in this chapter.
We all know he's just lost somewhere. Next chapter we'll see him at the amusement park wondering himself where Shakky's bar is again.
Old 2010-09-30, 03:00   Link #249
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Rayleigh is hanging out in Shakky's bar, so no kidnapped arc (that would be totally ridiculous anyhow; they couldn't beat whoever caught him).
Old 2010-09-30, 03:28   Link #250
DonnVall

Quote:
But there should be some time passed before the world assumed SH's crews deaths, no? I don't think no news for 1 or 2 months would be enough to assume the deaths of SH crews. Shouldn't they posted new bounties in this period considering the last incident(s)?

Last edited by DonnVall; 2010-09-30 at 03:30. Reason: not x not = yes
Old 2010-09-30, 03:33   Link #251
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiji_kun View Post
He probably thought after teaching him the basics there wasn't any point in him staying behind cause him figuring out things on his own would be for the better. I'd almost also want to say it's also cause he would rely solely on himself and not Rayleigh to but I doubt Rayleigh would have let him rely on him and Luffy isn't the type to rely on others. Especially since after 1.5 year he was probably already king of the island.

The strawhats get emotionally attached to their ships, bye no means are they going to abandon Sunny. And Oda drove home the point that Roger's ship was also made of Adam wood so that it's clear that Sunny is the ship that they'll sail to Raftel with. Let alone that Sunny is far to cool to leave alone and still has one dock left to fit something in which seems to have been reserved for filling up post-timeskip.
I agree with you on the rationale of leaving him alone, but this is a manga and it is not a reason for Oda to tell us this piece of information on purpose after the event if it was just to make sure the training was effective.

For example, it is useful as filler and for authenticity to tell Luffy to survive by himself for 6 months to toughen him up before training. Or even telling us at the point of 1.5 years that he is leaving as this tells us our hero's training is complete.

But in this case, he is telling us this after the period of solitary training has passed. Telling us he had mastered the techniques in 1 year or 2 years doesn't make a real difference in telling us the training is complete. Telling us that Luffy completed his training in less than half the time does indicate that he is a genius and is by now far above the foundations of Haki, but it doesn't explain why he told us that Rayleigh left half a year early.

The question is really why does Oda want us to know that there is a half year gap after the whole training is complete / before the meeting up when the gap has already happened?

Yeah I know we won't see the ship being abandoned. Just wanted to make a comment on how impractical it is to go back to a relatively outdated and inferior ship. Maybe modifications will solve the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
Rayleigh is hanging out in Shakky's bar, so no kidnapped arc (that would be totally ridiculous anyhow; they couldn't beat whoever caught him).
Could be set up as a test or just that the main opponent isn't around. Like maybe Kong arrested him and he was sent to impel down. Obviously the strawhats won't need to fight and overcome Kong just to rescue Rayleigh. All they need to do is just break into impel down and fight through all the opponents there. Something they should be better able to do now especially as a group.

Last edited by james0246; 2010-09-30 at 08:57.
Old 2010-09-30, 06:40   Link #252
Lukrin

This is weird... why isnt the full chapter out ?
Old 2010-09-30, 07:15   Link #253
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
oh shit i wasnt gonna like this manga, but - LONG HAIRED NAMI? HELL YEAH

i've been with one piece since it's anime started airing in germany, then dropped it cuz of no new eps. After indulging myself into the world of manga, this series has gotten rather plain :/
Old 2010-09-30, 07:46   Link #254
noktown

LoL,One Piece 598 English,is 69th most popular search in the past hour(google statistics).
Old 2010-09-30, 08:36   Link #255
aliasxn
Eye for an Eye

Chapter is out.
Old 2010-09-30, 08:40   Link #256
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
It could very well be that in the weeks and months after the "War", while Marineford was recovering and during their move, the WG just didn't get around to changing Luffy's bounty. Then, by the time they recovered and moved, Luffy had been silent for such a time that doubt began to rise as to his survival or not. Bada Bing, Bada Boom - instant freeze on Luffy and the Strawhats bounties. .
I agree here, is the same as Nico's bounty, her bounty never changed since the Ohara incident.
Old 2010-09-30, 08:42   Link #257
Karogas

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasxn View Post
Chapter is out.
Yep new Chapter is out, awesome purely for the new looks ^^

Last edited by Karogas; 2010-09-30 at 08:43. Reason: Spelling
Old 2010-09-30, 08:59   Link #258
Casshern

Love the new looks of the characters but I was really looking forward to a nice reunion chapter. Instead we get those bozos for 90% of the chapter.
Old 2010-09-30, 09:01   Link #259
evil_paladin

I do believe Oda is holding out the reunion till 600, to make it special...
Old 2010-09-30, 09:02   Link #260
aliasxn
Eye for an Eye

OMG, Robin is just...