AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-07, 01:45   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Higurashi - Voice Actor Appreciation & Discussion

The purpose of this thread is to discuss, critique and idolize the Voice Actor cast of Higurashi. Please remember that the discussion should center on their performances as professional voice actors and not on the show content (which can be discussed in the various Episode threads). Please remember this simple rule when critiquing a VA's performance or reading another forum member's critique:
  • - Don't take it personally.
    In other words, you’re free to disagree with another person’s opinion, but don’t flame them if they offer a well written and well thought out analysis that differs from your own opinion. Keep it civil.

• - Voice Actors are humans.
    Yes, it’s true. They’re human. Therefore, don’t just indiscriminately rip them and their work apart as if they’re inorganic objects. You don’t have to praise them non-stop, but be thoughtful in your criticism.
This thread might duplicate some discussion in the Episode threads, but it can also serve to demystify various VA roles, disseminate VA information (VA Bios, VA photos, etc) and provide cast information of various types as well as discussion about performances.
Old 2007-07-07, 02:11   Link #2
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Voice Actor Cast for Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai

Nakahara Mai as Ryuugu Rena

Spoiler:

Houshi Souichiro as Maebara Keiichi

Spoiler:

Satsuki Yukino as Sonozaki Mion , Sonozaki Shion

Spoiler:

Tamura Yukari as Furude Rika

Spoiler:

Horie Yui as Hanyuu

Spoiler:

Kanai Mika as Houjou Satoko

Spoiler:

Itou Miki as Takano Miyo

Spoiler:

Ohkawa Toru as Jirou Tomitake

Spoiler:

Chafurin as Kuraudo Oishi

Spoiler:

Orikasa Fumiko as Rumiko Chie

Spoiler:

Toshihiko Seki as Kyousuke Irie

Spoiler:
Old 2007-07-07, 05:33   Link #3
The Bloodlust Kid
Needs a better screenname

Send a message via AIM to The Bloodlust Kid
When I heard Mai Nakahara's insane laughter, I shat bricks. I think she's the best person to look for in a crazy character.
Old 2007-07-07, 07:35   Link #4
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Ironically or not, three of my favourite female seiyuu are in the same cast... and it is really hard to choose only one of them (most likely, an extreme strong point for the anime and DramaCD°

Nakahara Mai : i just love her purirty in her voice. While i don't really love squeeky and strident voice, hers doesn't have this problem.
It is completely the opposite : i feel sometimes her voice is genuine, and she manages to use tones and feelings, which can easely distinguish her performances. (As example : while she is kinda serious with her role of Aono (sola) and Teana (Nanoha), she gives much difference and adapt with the personality of the character. As another example : Rena (higurashi) and Karin (Kamichama Karin) shares almost the same tones, but both characters can be distinguished quickly).
She isn't really able to change her tone, unlike Yukino Satsuki and in some extent, Tamura Yukari, but nevertherless, it is pretty unique to each character

Yukino Satsuki : she was already great in FMP series, but this time, she is just groundbreaking... i mean.. she gives extreme tones in her character. It is really hard to not think she is considering herself as Mion/Shion some times (especially the insane comic parts, with trademark sadist comical laughter of Mion.) Just like Nakahara Mai, she is able to adadpt on the char, but can also change her tones drastically.
There is an abyss between Mion and Shion, and the warmth and expressions are extremely different (Shion is without a doubt, much more girly, or i would say "woman"-ly. lots of Asa and Mitsuki vibes in her performance)
While Nakahara Mai is really proficient in insanity and cold speeches, Yukino-san performances are jewel for the Angst and Wrath.
I just wonder how she can also mimic Gangsta/"Yakuza"-like speeches. (if you listened to the Character CD VOL2, Mion no Kokuhaku, you might understand what i'm talking about)

Tamura Yukari : ... Moe. It is really absurd how Moe she is doing her nippah. She doesn't have the same adaptations skills than the 2 others with her "Moe mode" (sometimes, too much "nanoha" and "chibi mai"), but her casual and "dark tones" fix this problem. I was extremely impressed by her performance in Miotsukushi-hen, PS2 game (the scene between rika and keiichi under the moon). Another great performance is without any doubt Kawasumi Mai, Kanon 2006 : her tones are constant, but the feelings aren't.

Ironically enough, The seiyuus shine even more in Higurashi Daybreak and Higurashi Daybreak kai. completely insane and delightful. (Rena with 3rd Weapon... she is WALKING DEATH ! And Rika 3rd Weapon is the cynical deathbringer)

Lots of fanboyism, but heh... hard to be neutral

Special mention for Hoshi Souichiro.
While he is EXTREMELY rampant with his voice (it is awfully generic), his voice just stick too well with Keiichi and Goku (Saiyuki). You can feel the fun, but also the devotion and determination. I can hardly see any other seiyuu for our "Eiyuu"

Gotta write up critics for the other later ^^"
Old 2007-07-10, 08:49   Link #5
Mitsu Aoi
Undine in the box T_T

Send a message via Yahoo to Mitsu Aoi
Err I find this a Funny Radio Chapter of Nakahara Mai and Yukino Satsuki But I understand only few will anyone translate some of the lines?

Click this link

Canned Tomato Soup and Avocado Flavored Noodles are her favorites.
Old 2007-07-14, 06:18   Link #6
Shadow Miko
ASuki's #1 Virgillia fan~

I really like Kanai Mika. As one of the Alice Twins I didn't recognize her but upon hearing the second I was like "Satoko...is that you?" I mean I recognized her voice when I watched Higurashi because I watched Kagihime first but...whenever I hear Mika...her voice always sounds kinda...raspy. That's what I like about her. She should use her Alice Twins/Satoko voice more often. :3

WAS Hanyuu's biggest fangirl, my heart belongs to Virgillia now. <3 Loli Salad - A blog of epic-proportions!
Old 2007-07-22, 21:30   Link #7
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.

does anyone know whether the in the english version is mion/shion the same person?
Old 2007-07-22, 21:33   Link #8
chrno_the_sinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsky123 View Post
does anyone know whether the in the english version is mion/shion the same person?
As far as I know yes. It would cause a LOT of confusion during Watanagashi-hen if it wasn't.
Old 2007-07-23, 11:28   Link #9
Shadow Miko

Horie Yui, I approve! Her au au au~ had me knocked off my feet. But that's to be expected right? Yui must be the most experienced and well known out of every seiyuu in Higurashi (With Mai Nakahara following close behind). I'm sure we will see Hanyuu after Rika dies. But I'm glad that my beloved Hanyuu has such a wonderful person doing her voice.

WAS Hanyuu's biggest fangirl, my heart belongs to Virgillia now. <3 Loli Salad - A blog of epic-proportions!
Old 2007-07-27, 02:33   Link #10
The Bloodlust Kid
Needs a better screenname

Send a message via AIM to The Bloodlust Kid
I was just playing Melty Blood and I thought of Higurashi Daybreak. I just have to ask, if both were doujin games. How did the creators manage to get professional seiyuu to play out the parts? Or am I underestimating the financial power of doujin makers?
Old 2007-07-27, 15:48   Link #11
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Miko View Post
Yui must be the most experienced and well known out of every seiyuu in Higurashi (With Mai Nakahara following close behind).
Actually Tamura Yukari debuted at about the same time as Yui and she is constantly amongst the top 3 seiyuu idols voted by seiyuu otakus (btw the 3 would be Horie Yui, Tamura Yukari and Mizuki Nana), and as proven by how her music can rank into the top 10 in Oricon charts. Nakahara Mai came into the scene a fair bit later than both Yui and Yukarin (about 4 years later in fact).
Old 2007-10-04, 16:21   Link #12
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Thumbs up Kanai Mika

I've enjoyed the whole cast, but for me Kanai Mika's dramatic performance in the more serious moments with Satoko had me stunned. I've enjoyed her work since I first became aware of her back in the early 90's and she's played a lot of cute comical roles (Mimette in Sailor Moon, Mei Mah in KO Senki Beast, Vanilla/Normat in Galaxy Angel, etc.) or roles as young girls such as the title heroine of Youkoso Youko. For the most part Satoko fits the bill and it's great to see her still at it after all these years playing this kind of "silly" character, but man, when Satoko is in pain or despair, I swear, the amount of feeling Mika puts into her character is a sudden reminder of her experience and talent as an industry veteran.
Old 2007-10-06, 15:46   Link #13
-MotokoAoyama-
*Artist

I like the entire cast too, but my favorite is Tamura Yukari. I just love how she switches from nipaa mode to the dark tone.

I really like Yukino Satsuki too (the only reason why I didn't hate Kagome from Inuyasha). Her voice is just awesome, and yes, it would seem to me that she had turned Shion in Watanagashi and Meakashi.

Yui Horie's au au au knocked off my feet too! I like her much better as Hanyuu than as Naru from Love Hina.

And Nakahara Mai's insane laugh is priceless too, of course
Old 2007-10-06, 15:56   Link #14
yangxu

Tamura Yukari is definitely my favorite among the casts. Her ability to voice different characters differently is more advanced than some of the other seiyuus. She can sing very well, too (provided that you've played Angelic Concert).
Old 2007-10-06, 18:07   Link #15
Shadow Miko

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Actually Tamura Yukari debuted at about the same time as Yui and she is constantly amongst the top 3 seiyuu idols voted by seiyuu otakus (btw the 3 would be Horie Yui, Tamura Yukari and Mizuki Nana), and as proven by how her music can rank into the top 10 in Oricon charts. Nakahara Mai came into the scene a fair bit later than both Yui and Yukarin (about 4 years later in fact).
Oh yes. I suppose I forgot about her! XD

Old 2007-10-11, 17:29   Link #16
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

True, I'm a big Tamura Yukari fan, so I have high expectations there, too. I thought her "dark Rika" voice was slightly overstated though, I think she could have handled it with a bit more subtlety, but that's a really minor point, and certainly makes things interesting in some of the first series arcs. Not forgetting the males, I have to say I think Ooishi-san's voice is something else in particular!

(MyAnimeList banner on hiatus until I bother to update my MyAnimeList status again...)
Old 2007-11-11, 13:47   Link #17
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.

Satsuki Yukino is the full metal panic girl!!! wow. come to think of it now the voice seems familiar lol
Old 2008-11-12, 16:30   Link #18
Golden Witch Drugs
しゆあげいん。

Hm... A year since someone posted here... Then it's time to post right? My opinions

Nakahara Mai: I always fancied her voice. I think she was perfect for Rena. Cute but still evil ^.^

Houshi Souichiro: I think he did a good job with Keiichi. Although I did not like his insane voice that much.

Satsuki Yukino: What can you say? Her laughter made me hide behind my chair :'3 But still she was able to capture the energic gaming girl~

Tamura Yukari: Hmm... Didn't like much. She really didn't capture the "Ni pah~" I heard so much about. It was a dissappointment

Horie Yui
: I never liked Hanyuu so much, but Yui was pretty good. Although I always thought that Hanyuu would have a Nakahara Mai voice xD But Hanyuu was a dissapointment too... Why is it always the Furude's? xD

Kanai Mika: So moe x3~ She was the best voice actor in the whole series :3 Ahh Satoko is so moe~ x'3 Omochikaeri~
Old 2008-11-12, 16:34   Link #19
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

I don't see how anybody could be disappointed with Tamura and Horie... IMO they were the best ones. ._.

Old 2008-11-12, 17:01   Link #20
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.

Tamura Yukari: Hmm... Didn't like much. She really didn't capture the "Ni pah~" I heard so much about. It was a dissappointment

i thought she bloody invented the ni-pah ?
Closed Thread