AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-01-01, 21:01   Link #41
aegismode

Given the quality of English spoken/written by the supposed SOS-dan members I suspect that the ASOS marketing people are actually avoiding such an obvious stereotype (engrish). I think the sentence was supposed to sound strange or mechanical (ala Yuki), instead the result of bad grammar. I can't imagine Yuki making a grammar mistake anyway. This sentence is only missing a plural, a simple mistake that any native English speaker would make. I think this is just a bad editing job; the front page still says "English Adaptati".

Speaking of which, I actually looked up the latin singular for "Adaptati", "Adaptatus", and see if there are special meaning. It still meant adaptation even in Latin. I can also see that the word is used in Italian and Romanian. Some people use it in English as the plural for Adaptation. So what if it's not a spelling error but a hint? English AdaptationS? Does that mean perhaps an English novel release? English AdaptationS of Anime AND light novel? Am I reading too much into a typo?

Last edited by aegismode; 2007-01-01 at 21:20.
Old 2007-01-01, 21:22   Link #42
aegismode

It's been a day. Where are my hidden comment tags???
Old 2007-01-01, 23:45   Link #43
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
-- She has detected us --

-- Gateway is being purged --

-- She interferes --

-- No, it is as it must --

-- One of us cannot return --

-- I will remain for the Other --

-- There is no time left --
I guess that's referring to the time left for Haruhi's poll.
Old 2007-01-02, 00:31   Link #44
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
This is all making it seem so dramatic.

Revenge Of The Computer Society President!
Old 2007-01-02, 00:48   Link #45
GyroidFanatic

Something I posted on AnimeonDVD (before the most recent comment):

Quote:
Originally Posted by myself!
Hmm... listen to this theory of mine for a second and tell me how it sounds.

The group that is leaving/left us the messages is the dubbing studio. This comes from the fact that their research mostly aligns with the polls. For example, they said "We are still missing the primary variables" before they did the polls for Kyon and Haruhi. (And an unrelated theory: the polls could be more to see what our response and our comments to the auditions are, more than the results. We know someone is looking through these forums...)

"The Other" refers to the other company listed after the "in association with" bit in the copyright. "They may discover the Other" was posted about a day before the revised copyright information (with the blanks) was added. "What of the Other? / They will be with us shortly" refers to the fact that the two companies will start working together soon.

And finally, perhaps the female they mention ("What has she done? / She is dangerous" and "It is for her sake") isn't Haruhi, but the person in charge of making the dub, or at least someone involved in the ASOS Brigade website/MySpace.
Old 2007-01-02, 04:05   Link #46
aegismode

Quote:
<!-- Infection purged, system status nominal -->

<!-- Huh? Did you say something? -->

<!-- -->

<!-- Why must I be surrounded by abnormal people... -->

<!-- Good night, I'm going to bed -->
Sonds like Yuki and Kyon talking to himself.

The "English Adaptati" line is gone. Perhaps it is just a typo.

Last edited by aegismode; 2007-01-02 at 04:55.
Old 2007-01-03, 22:35   Link #47
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
New source messages.

Quote:
<!-- ヒ・ヘ、ヒタョ、熙゙、キ、ソ -->
<!-- シ荀キ、、 -->
They've made it harder on us, I'm having much trouble trying to interpret this.
Old 2007-01-03, 23:01   Link #48
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob the Fox View Post
New source messages.

Quote:
<!-- ヒ・ヘ、ヒタョ、熙゙、キ、ソ -->
<!-- シ荀キ、、 -->
They've made it harder on us, I'm having much trouble trying to interpret this.
Did you try a different character encode? I got (using Japanese (EUC-JC)):

Quote:
<!-- 又一人に成りました -->
<!-- 寂しい -->
Which roughly translates to:
"Moreover, it became one person."
"It is lonely."

Old 2007-01-03, 23:40   Link #49
aegismode

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Did you try a different character encode? I got (using Japanese (EUC-JC)):

Which roughly translates to:
"Moreover, it became one person."
"It is lonely."

I would say it's more "Again, (it) became one person."

Sounds a bit like Yuki talking.
Old 2007-01-03, 23:53   Link #50
darkchibi07

Nonetheless, it sounds kind of creepy. I wonder what they're planning.
Old 2007-01-04, 00:24   Link #51
GyroidFanatic

It's talking about the one person of the group who decided to stay behind.
Old 2007-01-04, 12:14   Link #52
LCeh

Here's a piece from John from AnimeNation:

Quote:
Question
Now that it's official that The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya will be coming to the States in early 2007, are there any fears that the series won't live up to the hype?

Answer
I think that there shouldn't be any fears over Suzumiya Haruhi (the Japanese family name first pronunciation is incontrovertibly ingrained in my subconscious) not living up to expectations in America because there shouldn't be inflated expectations for the series' American success. Time may prove me incorrect, but I believe that the Suzumiya Haruhi anime does not have the same potential for success in America that it has had in Japan. Suzumiya Haruhi has been such a staggering success in Japan, and its such a juggernaut in the international fan community that I think that many American fans may have unrealistic expectations for the show's potential in America. The Suzumiya Haruhi anime has always been a show intended for a hardcore "otaku" audience, and that market is relatively small in America.

Reportedly at least the first two Japanese Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi DVDs have sold 100,000 copies each. In practical terms, no single anime DVD sells that many copies in America. American releases such as The Animatrix and Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children have tallied those sort of sales figures, but those two titles have massive American cross-market potential which Suzumiya Haruhi does not have. The Suzumiya Haruhi series is not suitable for American television broadcast because it's neither slapstick comedy or action/adventure. The lack of television exposure in America will drastically limit its American market potential. The Suzumiya Haruhi anime series is fundamentally a lighthearted character relationship drama. The most successful anime titles in America have never fallen into that genre category. Major hit American anime titles including Cowboy Bebop, Inuyasha, Dragonball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, Full Metal Alchemist, Rurouni Kenshin, Naruto, and Gundam Wing have virtually nothing in common with Suzumiya Haruhi, meaning that the consumers who have made shows like Cowboy Bebop and Inuyasha so successful in America will not support Suzumiya Haruhi. In fact, much of the appeal of the Suzumiya Haruhi anime lies in its parodies of anime stereotypes and conventions. That subtle humor is only effective for hardcore otaku that recognize the conventions being skewered, and recognize the ways in which the Suzumiya Haruhi anime does the unexpected. Casual, mainstream, and novice anime watchers are unlikely to "get" jokes like a realistic portrayal of a typical Japanese schoolboy surrounded by aliens, girls in cosplay, an outrageously assertive and self-confident Japanese schoolgirl, and conventional plots like a murder mystery and epic space battle.

There's certainly enough anticipation and interest in the Suzumiya Haruhi franchise to make the American release of the anime successful. But I don't think that the series has the components necessary to become a breakthrough mainstream hit in America. I suggest that American fans anticipating Suzumiya Haruhi becoming a high water mark for American anime distribution rethink their estimation. The show may be the biggest hit of a generation in Japan, but the show doesn't have the characteristics necessary to make it a smash success in America. Suzumiya Haruhi will undoubtedly be big in America's fan community, but it won't reach a large audience outside of the hardcore fan community. In other words, The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi has a ceiling on its American potential for success. The show will probably match the success of similar school comedies and light dramas in America like Azumanga Daioh and Love Hina, but it won't become another Cowboy Bebop or Fullmetal Alchemist scale breakout mainstream success.
I think he made some good points, but I still think Haruhi can break into the main stream in US. I think it has the drawing power to get a lot of people interested, because it has many different appeals that can reach many different people. Simply calling it a "highschool comedy" is a little too generic for SHnY. In fact, I find it hard to put the show in a genre, since it has a little bit of everything, and because of that, I think it can be successful too in America.
Old 2007-01-04, 14:08   Link #53
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCeh View Post
I think he made some good points, but I still think Haruhi can break into the main stream in US. I think it has the drawing power to get a lot of people interested, because it has many different appeals that can reach many different people. Simply calling it a "highschool comedy" is a little too generic for SHnY. In fact, I find it hard to put the show in a genre, since it has a little bit of everything, and because of that, I think it can be successful too in America.
Well, I think there's a huge difference between appealing to many anime fans, and appealing to the mainstream. Having "something for everyone" only works if people are willing to give it a chance. With no TV airing, why would the Cartoon Network crowd just go to the store and buy it (and it over all the other choices on the shelf)? It doesn't promise great action, it doesn't promise cool heroes and villains, it doesn't promise violence or blood -- it's just a "big bundle of anime goodness", which means precisely nothing if you're not already an anime fan (and by that I mean more than what airs on Adult Swim). In this case, I think John's exactly right; this has all the makings of a "cult classic" in the U.S. By in large, the people salivating over Naruto, Bleach, and Full Metal Alchemist (and from whom that defines all of what "anime" is) aren't going to rush to the stores to pick it up, and that's what's meant by mainstream success in the U.S.
Old 2007-01-04, 16:35   Link #54
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
this has all the makings of a "cult classic" in the U.S. By in large, the people salivating over Naruto, Bleach, and Full Metal Alchemist (and from whom that defines all of what "anime" is) aren't going to rush to the stores to pick it up, and that's what's meant by mainstream success in the U.S.
Am I the only one who feels good about this?
I'm glad I won't have to deal with 14-year-old emo kids wearing SOS団 t-shirts and fawning over how hot Itsuki and Kyon would be if only they'd just stop being straight. This kind of stuff won't kill a show for me, but it will make me hesitant to evangelize it or even admit that I like it.
Old 2007-01-04, 23:37   Link #55
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

January 4, 2007 1936 PST
Currently compiling list of Japanese credits. ASOS Brigade Episode 01 entering post. Various versions of Episode 00 available here. Help spread the video and earn money for it, and other videos, as explained here.

And:

<!-- One remains behind as planned -->
<!-- Gateway closure confirmed -->
<!-- All data retrieved, field formation in progress -->
<!-- Are we able to create a function that satisfies every input condition -->
<!-- It cannot, and should not, be a simple solution -->
<!-- Many seen and unseen variables must be accounted for -->
<!-- The n-space grows large, is that wise -->
<!-- The very nature of the program prevents a unifying solution that would satisfy every single input condition across all domains -->
<!-- It is imperative we do this right -->
<!-- Let us weigh the inputs carefully and create a program that maintains central integrity while taking into account the various observed data points to create a pleasing overall solution to the best of our abilities -->
<!-- We must create a superior quality program -->
<!-- The Other awaits patiently, but for how long -->
Old 2007-01-04, 23:57   Link #56
darkchibi07

Let me guess! They'll release episode 1 at 12 AM Pacific, right? I don't I can stay up that late anymore.
Old 2007-01-05, 01:40   Link #57
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

If you've checked Kyon's myspace page lately, you'll find that Tsuruya-san has found it and has made herself known there!

The link: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=145105412

This is from her general interests box: Mikuru-chan, smoked cheese(), anime, cosplay, nyoro~n!

Old 2007-01-05, 21:22   Link #58
Cloud05
Haruhi Fanatic

Quote:
If you've checked Kyon's myspace page lately, you'll find that Tsuruya-san has found it and has made herself known there!

This is from her general interests box: Mikuru-chan, smoked cheese(), anime, cosplay, nyoro~n!

She's Bi?
Old 2007-01-06, 02:51   Link #59
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Quote:

makes me wonder if this whole SOS thing coming to America is becoming a bit out of hand with these myspace accounts being made based off the characters
Old 2007-01-06, 04:03   Link #60
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm probably going to sound a bit exclusive cultish elitist... but I'd really can't see it "breaking into the mainstream" here. I'd like it to do really well and sell a lot of copies... but frankly, I see it mostly doing well in the demographic that already follows anime. It *might* lure in a few science fiction fans who don't normally watch anime.
I mean sheesh - "mainstream" is all those morons hanging on every word in a feud that two idiots with more money than brains are conducting. "mainstream" is getting all giddy for the next SurvivorIdolCookoffTradingNanny ...

The main reason: too difficult for marketeers to cope with. It really can't be reduced to a soundbite - too many facets. There is a small market for unusual films in the theater (IluvHuckabees for example) but they rely mostly on word-of-mouth... and they're films, not a series.

I'm just going to be happy that I get a DVD set out of the release.