AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-19, 15:51   Link #25341
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Well Park Chung Hee is known to be quite a dictator in the Cold War days, will she follow her father's footsteps and be as antagonistic towards the fat little boy across the border?
Her mother was killed by Moon Se Gwang, who is considered as North's agent in Korea, but I believe North Korea denies this. So she might not be too fond of North Korea, but we will have to see. And North Korea might not be fond of Park Geun Hye as well since Park Chung Hee was part of Japanese army during World War II and they could always use that fact to attack her.
Old 2012-12-19, 15:55   Link #25342
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
I'd rather have my weapons when I'm unfortunate enough to run into those that aren't.
The old "guns are shields" false arguments; nope, they are weapons, as simple as that, weapons are meant to kill, as simple as that.
Old 2012-12-19, 15:58   Link #25343
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

However a gun can be effective without firing a shot. An intruder can be scared off by the sound of a shotgun action being cycled. even if that action is not attached to the weapon.
Old 2012-12-19, 16:06   Link #25344
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Her mother was killed by Moon Se Gwang, who is considered as North's agent in Korea, but I believe North Korea denies this. So she might not be too fond of North Korea, but we will have to see. And North Korea might not be fond of Park Geun Hye as well since Park Chung Hee was part of Japanese army during World War II and they could always use that fact to attack her.
If we were to view "an enemy of my enemy is my friend" in context, maybe this could mean closer ties between Japan and SK in the near future. Or the politicians could be just as silly on both sides and let NK continue to drive the wedge between them - Japan/SK's combined media and fashion influence can beat Hollywood booties down.

Especially fashion. Which means more lolicious joshi shougakusei to enjoy.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-12-19, 16:10   Link #25345
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
I believe that most people ARE good, but I'd rather have my weapons when I'm unfortunate enough to run into those that aren't.
I just think it's a bit silly to claim that "hoplophobes" are afraid of guns because they think that humanity is terrible, when many people who desire a gun and think it's good protective feel that way because they want to protect themselves from other people.

Put another way, "hoplophobes" may be afraid of the evil that people with guns can perpetuate, but the people who want to arm themselves with guns for protection fear the exact same thing. The only difference is in the conclusion that each side reaches with regard to how best to protect themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
However a gun can be effective without firing a shot. An intruder can be scared off by the sound of a shotgun action being cycled. even if that action is not attached to the weapon.
Valid argument. It's also a valid argument to say that people with guns become bolder and more willing to challenge others than people without guns. The question isn't so much about what's effective or not, it's about the prevalence of how these things play out in the real world.
Old 2012-12-19, 17:29   Link #25346
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I was pretty excited when I clicked the link and saw that flying^ had linked to a Jezebel article and seemed to be taking it seriously. Then I realized that he actually didn't care about or understand Jezebel's take on it, he actually believed the study and thought that it was a good idea. I feel so let down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Did you look to see who wrote the article?
Of course I did... and looks like you finally got their schtick.
I check that site once in a while to get & keep up with their "insights"... and get a chuckle at some of the contributors when they exude complete resignation on some topics (yeah... because that's just the way it is) and outrage over small, minor things they see wrong in the real (and digital) world

Quote:
So can I assume you agree with her that we need laws to force employers not to be jackasses about paying people based on their dick count?
Have her types never heard the art of negotiating while retaining feminine touch?

Laws are already in place... they just need the "drive"!

Quote:
For years, legislators and women’s advocates have been seeking solutions. In many ways, the wage gap is a complicated problem tied to culture, tradition and politics. But one part of it can be traced to a simple fact: many women just don’t negotiate, or are penalized if they do. In fact, they are one-quarter as likely as men to do so, according to statistics from Carnegie Mellon University. So rather than wax academic about the issue, couldn’t we simply teach women some negotiation skills?
Old 2012-12-19, 17:34   Link #25347
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
The old "guns are shields" false arguments; nope, they are weapons, as simple as that, weapons are meant to kill, as simple as that.
I know you love putting words in other people's mouth and then take off on a red herring joyride, but I'd appreciate it if you'd stop doing it. If you actually want to debate the issue, the gun control thread is very much alive and active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
stuff
response in GC thread.
Old 2012-12-19, 18:27   Link #25348
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

This is considered news as well, though the whole thing I in the gun control thread as that will likely be the venue for debate/discussion:

Obama demands 'concrete proposals' on gun violence by January

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2...nce-by-january

Quote:
President Barack Obama empaneled a new task force led by Vice President Joe Biden to develop comprehensive proposals to address gun violence no later than next month.

In the wake of last week's shooting at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., the president announced a new initiative that would include members of his cabinet and outside organizations to generate proposals to rein in gun violence. He said that any effort should include new restrictions on guns, but also improved access to mental health services and better management of violence in popular culture.
Old 2012-12-20, 00:26   Link #25349
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Miss USA Olivia Culpo is crowned Miss Universe

Vegas magic again....
Old 2012-12-20, 00:32   Link #25350
sa547
*Author

Quote:
but also improved access to mental health services
THIS. Prevention should be immediate; better to nip the problem in the bud than never.

----------------
Aquino signs sin tax bill into law -- it's now a law, so expect the "bad" favorites to be more expensive to buy than ever.

But what's annoying are the non-smoker/non-drinker "clean living" types going around the internet bragging how much they're healthy and why the smoking/drinking public should "convert" and "embrace" their new "religion of health", although the tobacco industry is known for some ethically questionable practices.

At any rate, I'll have to use the vape more often.
Old 2012-12-20, 01:31   Link #25351
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I'm sorry but that's a resort to dictionary assertion and anyone familiar with military tactics will tell you a shield is a weapon. It makes you sound like you don't really know the topic.
Old 2012-12-20, 01:40   Link #25352
flying ^

Breakthrough!

The world of obesity science is about to be turned on its head.
Old 2012-12-20, 04:24   Link #25353
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Old 2012-12-20, 05:26   Link #25354
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
CTA Passenger Attacked With Sock Filled With Feces

OAK PARK — A woman assaulted on the CTA Blue Line in Oak Park last week told police another passenger struck her in the face with a sock filled with human excrement.

“He had a sock full of his poop on me,” said the 21-year-old college student. “It was everywhere; on my face, my hair, my clothes.”

She said she screamed and tried to follow him, along with another witness, but the attacker escaped up the Austin Boulevard exit and ran northbound on Austin.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/12/...ed-with-feces/

Yea. Feces. As in POOP.

And y'know what? This story stinks. Anyways, CTA is Chicago's mass transit system; and from what I read out of this news story, this was a random attack.
Old 2012-12-20, 06:14   Link #25355
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

UBS traders charged, bank fined $1.5 billion in Libor scandal
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8BI00020121220
Old 2012-12-20, 07:38   Link #25356
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Loved and loathed, Park talks tough after Korea poll win

Quote:
(Reuters) - South Korea's President-elect, Park Geun-hye, used her first major speech on Thursday to warn of the risks posed by a hostile North Korea and also fired a political shot across the bows of Japan's incoming Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.
Okay. She hates BOTH NK and Japan. Lovely.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-12-20, 10:53   Link #25357
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm sorry but that's a resort to dictionary assertion and anyone familiar with military tactics will tell you a shield is a weapon. It makes you sound like you don't really know the topic.
I have no doubt that in war that is true, but I am a civilian living a civilian life and in civilian life what I said stands, no ands, ifs or buts. Whether people in the USA believe they live in a war is not for me to determine.
Old 2012-12-20, 12:06   Link #25358
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Twitter Reacts to Anonymous Attacks on Westboro Baptist Church

Quote:
Anonymous has been campaigning against the Westboro Baptist Church after its members threatened to picket at a vigil for victims of the Newtown, Conn., shootings, claiming “God sent the shooter” in retaliation for the fact that Connecticut has legalized gay marriage.

In response, Anonymous hacked into the Twitter and Facebook accounts of several Westboro Baptist Church members and tweeted information about members like their home addresses and telephone numbers, as well as the locations of the hotel rooms where they say church members have been coordinating their protests.

As a result, Twitter suspended one of the primary accounts associated with Anonymous, @YourAnonNews as well as the Twitter account of Westboro Baptist Church spokeswoman Shirley Phelps-Roper, which had been taken over by Anonymous.
I presume this was after Shirley's earlier remarks posted above.
Old 2012-12-20, 13:56   Link #25359
Destined_Fate

Not surprised that Westboro Baptist Church is trying to get on the news again after a tragedy.
Old 2012-12-20, 14:30   Link #25360
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I have no doubt that in war that is true, but I am a civilian living a civilian life and in civilian life what I said stands, no ands, ifs or buts. Whether people in the USA believe they live in a war is not for me to determine.
Assertion without support ... debate fail. Thanks for playing.

In other words, "because I say so" doesn't work.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international