AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2013-06-22, 03:58   Link #121
oompa loompa

I'm posting this here because most doctors I've seen dismiss a lot as "it's just in the head", and although I completely believe that psychological factors can have a huge effect on the body, I just want to rule anything else out first.

Can anyone give me insights on exercise induced insomnia? I've read here and there that you should exercise at least 3 hours prior to sleeping ( or maybe thats eating?). In any case, (it's my vacation right now), I work out from 7-8:30 , eat dinner at 9:30, and go to sleep by about 3:45-4:00 in the morning everyday. I've found that when I ramp up the intensity of the work out, It's impossible for me to sleep. There seems to be some debate as to whether late exercise can induce insomnia, what's your take?

Second, (embarassingly, but thank god for internet anonymity ), can hemorrhoids cause symptoms like that of chronic pelvic pain? I've recently been diagnosed with internal hemorrhoids, but for a few years before this stumped doctors with odd lower abdominal and pelvic pains, (There's always slight discomofort and a swollen feeling around the perineum, and on and off twangs of extreme pain). I've had god knows how many ultra sounds, urine tests, blood tests and a couple of MRI's done, with nothing abnormal at all ever coming up. I was prescribed some Urimax, which helped a lot The best I've gotten is 'you need to relax more'. In the past. I probably do, but could there be a relation between the hemorrhoids and the pelvic pain? Like a nerve being pressed funny or something? Anyone have an experience with similar pelvic pain?
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-22, 05:13   Link #122
Pink Cow
This is my title.

Regarding your hemorrhoids, I haven't had a case where it caused pelvic pain. The pain is usually concentrated on the anal area alone. Do you have difficulty wih bowel movement?

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Pink Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-22, 05:37   Link #123
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Cow View Post
Regarding your hemorrhoids, I haven't had a case where it caused pelvic pain. The pain is usually concentrated on the anal area alone. Do you have difficulty wih bowel movement?
Nope, none at all. Well, not exactly. To quote my doctor, who said it more eloquently (and pleasantly) than I did, I get the feeling of 'Incomplete evacuation'. But no pain or difficulty.

Thanks anyways, though. Always useful to eliminate potential causes I feel
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-22, 06:21   Link #124
Pink Cow
This is my title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
Nope, none at all. Well, not exactly. To quote my doctor, who said it more eloquently (and pleasantly) than I did, I get the feeling of 'Incomplete evacuation'. But no pain or difficulty.

Thanks anyways, though. Always useful to eliminate potential causes I feel
Oh so it's not actually pain? Kinda like a slight discomfort or something? If your hemorrhoids are large enough, it might cause incomplete evacuation. Hemorrhoids can cause a blockage in the anal canal and when defecating, they bleed or they keep your poop from getting out. In your case, probably there is partial blockage. You defecate fine but you feel as if you haven't gotten rid of all of them.

Also I just realized it's external hemorrhoids that cause anal pain. But you have internal. Those don't usually cause pain.

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Old 2013-06-22, 11:59   Link #125
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
I'm posting this here because most doctors I've seen dismiss a lot as "it's just in the head", and although I completely believe that psychological factors can have a huge effect on the body, I just want to rule anything else out first.

Can anyone give me insights on exercise induced insomnia? I've read here and there that you should exercise at least 3 hours prior to sleeping ( or maybe thats eating?). In any case, (it's my vacation right now), I work out from 7-8:30 , eat dinner at 9:30, and go to sleep by about 3:45-4:00 in the morning everyday. I've found that when I ramp up the intensity of the work out, It's impossible for me to sleep. There seems to be some debate as to whether late exercise can induce insomnia, what's your take?

Second, (embarassingly, but thank god for internet anonymity ), can hemorrhoids cause symptoms like that of chronic pelvic pain? I've recently been diagnosed with internal hemorrhoids, but for a few years before this stumped doctors with odd lower abdominal and pelvic pains, (There's always slight discomofort and a swollen feeling around the perineum, and on and off twangs of extreme pain). I've had god knows how many ultra sounds, urine tests, blood tests and a couple of MRI's done, with nothing abnormal at all ever coming up. I was prescribed some Urimax, which helped a lot The best I've gotten is 'you need to relax more'. In the past. I probably do, but could there be a relation between the hemorrhoids and the pelvic pain? Like a nerve being pressed funny or something? Anyone have an experience with similar pelvic pain?
Intense workout is gonna shoot up your HR and BP and your body is gonna be surging with adrenaline, so your body isn't wanna cool down for awhile. Considering that you're saying this is "intense" work out and you've probably been working out for years, your body will definitely take a couple hours to cool down. I'm not a hardcore workout person, but I do more cardio and some lifting/curls, but an hour to an hour half of that alone gets me sleepy and tired. I usually still feel the "thrill" for about an hour or so after the workout, but right after, I'm dead tired and ready to nap haha. Doing anything that makes your body secrete adrenaline isn't going to make your body go to sleep. It could also be your diet (caffeinated foods/drinks), stress, or it could be just the fact that you're recently on vacation and started working out.

As for your issue about chronic pelvic pain, your best bet is to get an X-ray of it (I'm sure you've had one, but if not, have it done or have it done again). Whenever someone says "chronic pelvic pain" it's usually due to some sort of hip fracture seen in the elderly. I don't think your old whatsoever, but you can still fracture your hip or your femoral shaft which would cause chronic hip pain. Or, if you've had hip arthroplasty in the past or the any addition of hip screws, those may be the reason why.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-22, 15:49   Link #126
AnimeFan188

This Hideous Creature Could Hold the Key to Curing Cancer:

"Researchers believe they know why naked mole rats are impervious to the disease."

See:

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013...naked-mole-rat
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 03:46   Link #127
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:

For me it actually helps me sleep and fight back against my trauma induced anxiety neurosis issues...

I find usually a short (2-3km) run at around 8:30 pm best. I usually sleep around 12 am since my problems started. Before I got my act together I went two weeks of at most 4-6 hours of sleep in total at most.

And regarding BP, I don't know, but my BP actually drops after exercise.
Old 2013-06-23, 20:31   Link #128
AnimeFan188

Eternal Sunshine of the Bionic Mind: Prosthesis Could Restore Memory:

"In the film "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," the characters undergo a
scientific procedure to erase their memory. But what if instead of erasing memory,
you could restore it? One neuroscientist aims to do just that.

Theodore Berger of the University of Southern California is developing a prosthesis
to restore memory, by replacing a circuit in the brain's hippocampus. Berger
described the device at the Global Future 2045 International Congress, held here
June 15-16. Already successful in rats and monkeys, the prosthesis is now being
tested in humans."

See:

http://news.yahoo.com/eternal-sunshi...142110542.html
Old 2013-06-23, 21:12   Link #129
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Myasthenia Gravis is an autoimmune condition where antibodies recognize Acetylcholine receptors as antigens and destroys them, causing a net effect of easy muscle fatigability and weakness. Most symptoms start cephalocaudal, meaning head and face first the downwards., which accounts for the classic sign of facial weakness and drooping eyelids.

The rest of the body comes later, but the most feared complication is respiratory weakness in un/poorly treated cases.

What are your MG meds? Physiostigmine I suppose? Symptomatically it could be a sign of MG crisis or inadequate MG medication, except cough and phlegm usually don't accompany it.
Yep, Mestinon (Pyridostigmine Bromide) and Azathioprine (Generic Imuran). I was on Prednisone for a while, but I eventually weaned off of that. I had a rough time for the first year and a half (it damn near killed me at the start, and spent an entire month in the hospital), but after the dosages were figured out, and the Azathioprine finally kicked in, I was going strong.

Exercise has been a big factor in keeping me going. The bicycle commute to and from work really helped out. However, I stopped riding the bike so much for about a month before I came down with this bronchitis, mainly due to inclement weather. I've always wondered if the lack of exercise prolonged this.

Over the last week I've been getting back on the bike and doing some laps around the block, staying close to home just in case something happened. Although I still can't go the distance I used to, I do generally feel better (but not 100% better) after a ride and some light weightlifting. Also, the only medicine that seems to be helping is Mucinex. Not coughing up nearly as much phlegm (yuk!)as I was, but it's still coming. Also, the lemon tea with honey seems to help as well.

Endless "Still fighting" Soul
Old 2013-06-23, 21:32   Link #130
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The fact that you can exercise would rule out MG because it would be extremely difficult to exercise with easily fatigable muscles in poor MG control. Your MG must have been bad to have to take Azathioprine for it.

Azathioprine is an immunosuppresant and one of th3 side effects is infection, which makes respiratory infections like pneumonia a possibility
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 22:16   Link #131
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Azathioprine is an immunosuppresant and one of th3 side effects is infection, which makes respiratory infections like pneumonia a possibility
Reminded me of an antibacterial ointment that effectively kills bacteria by at risk of developing funji.. I laugh at the same time shocked... It's like "WTF?"
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-24, 05:33   Link #132
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Antibacterials don't work on fungi so fungi will just replace what used to be bacteria town. It's actually a surprisingly common side effect.

My sister had oral Candidiasis after taking Amoxicillin for a week.
Old 2013-06-24, 07:15   Link #133
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Antibacterials don't work on fungi so fungi will just replace what used to be bacteria town. It's actually a surprisingly common side effect.

My sister had oral Candidiasis after taking Amoxicillin for a week.
It's just funny.... so could we expect physicians to have a tandem of antifungal meds during the duration of any antibacterial meds?
Old 2013-06-24, 08:56   Link #134
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
The fact that you can exercise would rule out MG because it would be extremely difficult to exercise with easily fatigable muscles in poor MG control.
Yep, that's how I knew that it wasn't MG related (mostly) when I first realized something was wrong. Although, I was alarmed at first, thinking another MG crisis was forming, but after checking a few things like how much I could lift and how easily, I realized that a MG crisis was not happening.

Quote:
Your MG must have been bad to have to take Azathioprine for it.
When MG first hit, it hit hard. The very first sign was my left eyelid drooping, I couldn't open it all the way. Mrs. ES and I decided to go to the Dr. the next day to get it checked out. That day, as I was driving home from work to go to the Dr. appointment, both my eyelids were closing and there was nothing I could do to stop them other than driving with one hand, and holding one eye open with the other hand. Scary!

Medications were prescribed, but within a week after diagnosis, I was so weak. In the mornings, after resting all night I was somewhat ok, but I would get progressively worse as the day wore on. I couldn't hold my head up for very long, and my chin would be resting on my chest. My speech was very slurred. My eyes were going in different directions (that was very annoying). I dropped a bowl of noodles one night because I was so weak, I couldn't carry the bowl. I had a hard time climbing the stairs. I couldn't raise my arms above my head, so Mrs. ES had to wash my hair for me. This also made simple things like brushing mt teeth or even shaving a big hassle. Bowel movements were getting hard to control.

However, the worst part was the swallowing and the breathing. I dreaded every meal simply because I had such a hard time swallowing, and often ended up choking on my food, struggling to get it down. The scared look on Mrs. ES's face spoke volumes.

One night, about two weeks after being diagnosed, things finally came to a head and we decided to get me to a emergency room as I could barely breathe at all. I spent a month in the hospital being tested, intubated, and otherwise cared for and monitored. I also had a thymectomy. I was very popular among the medical staff, mainly because MG is rather rare, which is why I don't mind talking about it. I also lost about 60 pounds.

Quote:
Yep, well aware of that and managed to dodge sick bullets for the last 6 years, but I guess one finally hit me. Feel a bit better after this weekend by the way.

Endless "Keep going" Soul
Old 2013-06-24, 09:14   Link #135
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

More like MG is rare in men because majority or patients are female. They usually only due Thymectomy in really severe cases.
Old 2013-06-25, 05:49   Link #136
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Now I have saved enough, I am thinking of using part of my savings for Epilasik surgery.

Can someone advise me on the usual effects, in long term (5-10years), for such a procedure?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 03:48   Link #137
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Now I have saved enough, I am thinking of using part of my savings for Epilasik surgery.

Can someone advise me on the usual effects, in long term (5-10years), for such a procedure?
I don't know but I managed to observed a procedure though.. I takes around 15 minutes to perform. I say it's better good since we got a lot of patients asking to undergo the procedure... Probably a follow up after the operation.... And also.... The operation is to be done separately ( 3 months) between for the other eye.... It's around P30,000...
Old 2013-07-03, 19:00   Link #138
AnimeFan188

How to Grow a Human Heart:

"Nature has a nice dive into the scientific quest to grow complex organs like a
human heart. No, it hasn't been done yet—but it's surprisingly within reach."

See:

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-grow-a-human-heart-660942226
Old 2013-07-05, 11:24   Link #139
Pink Cow
This is my title.

I'm starting to have a pet peeve on doctors ordering CT scan and MRI when they don't NEED to. I can't count anymore how many times a patient came in with lightheadedness yet looking perfectly normal with unremarkable neurologic PE. Except for numbness on one area of his forearm. Then the residents (even some consultants) are like... CT scan to rule out stroke.

For crying out loud, stroke was ruled out just by the PE and history!

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Old 2013-07-05, 11:27   Link #140
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Cow View Post
I'm starting to have a pet peeve on doctors ordering CT scan and MRI when they don't NEED to. I can't count anymore how many times a patient came in with lightheadedness yet looking perfectly normal with unremarkable neurologic PE. Except for numbness on one area of his forearm. Then the residents (even some consultants) are like... CT scan to rule out stroke.

For crying out loud, stroke was ruled out just by the PE and history!
They have to be sure no?

In fact you raise a very strong irritation of mine with doctors. When you have persistent condition lasting months, they refuse to run any scans on you until just lately.