AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-01-09, 10:50   Link #1
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

Google and the World Brain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vxIv...layer_embedded

I watched this trailer and I just don't get people.

do people really think that Google are trying to take over the world. It astonishes me that there is this type of debate going on in the world.

Google who IMO are trying to do something good by scanning books and giving people access to knowledge and information that they might not be able to get, are being then taken to court.

I have also seen some of the debate for Guns control in america and i just don't get it.

people are trying to do something that is for the good, and are coming up against roadblocks.
Old 2013-01-09, 11:07   Link #2
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. - George Carlin, US comedian and actor (1937 - 2008)
^ Works both ways either with regards to 1) people suing Google and 2) whether you want these same people holding guns.
Old 2013-01-09, 11:30   Link #3
Gundamx

Google = SERN!
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 13:57   Link #4
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

What a bunch of nonsense. "Oh noes, google is gaining a monopoly on good will! Time to act like asholes!" These people obviously don't read, if alarmist words like "hold X hostage" is all that they could come up with to validate their shameless suing scheme. If they get anything from this, other then a well deserved smack from being retarded, I'll be disappointed greatly.
Old 2013-01-09, 16:22   Link #5
Kyuu
=^^=

Ironically, Google is a defender of network neutrality. Although, Google would never take this stance, without considering its own profit. It IS a large corporation after all.

But the thing is: out of all the corporations out there, Google is a small fish. Much bigger fish to fry out there.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 16:55   Link #6
Dr. Casey

Not going to read or listen about people being retarded and trying to hinder progress like they always do because I know it will just piss me off, but I'll just say that I love Google and this project right here is a good example as to why. Good luck, Google.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 17:39   Link #7
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I thought Zeitgeist was dumb. This takes the fucking cake.

Artificial intelligence DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY. You can't just throw the collective knowledge of humanity onto a storage medium and expect it to gain self-awareness out of nowhere like Johnny Five.
Old 2013-01-09, 17:52   Link #8
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Hit it wih lightning.

A monopoly would be considered a bad thing if it was leading to unfair prices and/or restriction of knowledge or advancement.
Old 2013-01-09, 17:54   Link #9
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I thought Zeitgeist was dumb. This takes the fucking cake.

Artificial intelligence DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY. You can't just throw the collective knowledge of humanity onto a storage medium and expect it to gain self-awareness out of nowhere like Johnny Five.
People severely overestimate our ability to produce programs. In our current technological climate, hardware exceeds software. It's not impossible to create an AI, but it's something that you have to do deliberately and it's something that takes a large amount of work and *legendary* craftsmanship.

Most people these days can't even program updates to existing programs without breaking them. I'm looking at you, Adobe and Java.

Edit: Also, Google can have a monopoly as an ISP. I would be fine with this.
Old 2013-01-09, 18:12   Link #10
Zakoo

In the history of economy, there has been a few compagny that got so much monopole that it became dangerous, the first one that come in mind is the Standart Oil from there's one century.

In our current economy, having a society monopoling a whole sector is dangerous, thinking it's great, not dangerous, not a problem, or whatever is totally paradoxal.

Google isn't stranger to this, lack of concurence absolutely always ends up with no innovation and in the end it's the consommator who takes everything in the face.

Just think of Microsoft, if it wasn't for Firefox we would probably still use this browser of hell. Because there was no concurence microsoft for many years didn't make explorer evolve and the first consequence if people remember, was that using it was aweful both for real informaticians and normal people as well.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 18:16   Link #11
Lightning_Wing

Conspiracies will always appeal to uneducated and fearful people. This isn't worth worrying about.
Old 2013-01-09, 18:21   Link #12
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
In the history of economy, there has been a few compagny that got so much monopole that it became dangerous, the first one that come in mind is the Standart Oil from there's one century.

In our current economy, having a society monopoling a whole sector is dangerous, thinking it's great, not dangerous, not a problem, or whatever is totally paradoxal.

Google isn't stranger to this, lack of concurence absolutely always ends up with no innovation and in the end it's the consommator who takes everything in the face.

Just think of Microsoft, if it wasn't for Firefox we would probably still use this browser of hell. Because there was no concurence microsoft for many years didn't make explorer evolve and the first consequence if people remember, was that using it was aweful both for real informaticians and normal people as well.
Can you elaborate on why Google's doing a bad thing here? I can't think of any negative consequences that can result from this, but my opinion alone doesn't count for much.
Old 2013-01-09, 18:25   Link #13
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning_Wing View Post
Conspiracies will always appeal to uneducated and fearful people. This isn't worth worrying about.
There's conspiracy theories...

And there's shizz going down:

Quote:
Rescued by a Bailout, A.I.G. May Sue Its Savior
BY BEN PROTESS AND MICHAEL J. DE LA MERCED

Mark Lennihan/Associated Press
An American International Group office building in New York in 2008.
Fresh from paying back a $182 billion bailout, the American International Group has been running a nationwide advertising campaign with the tagline “Thank you America.”

Behind the scenes, the restored insurance company is weighing whether to tell the government agencies that rescued it during the financial crisis: thanks, but you cheated our shareholders.
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/01/...ue-its-savior/
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 18:25   Link #14
Traece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning_Wing View Post
It depends on the conspiracy. As we've learned from history, a surprising number of conspiracies end up being true.

The difference is that the conspiracies that end up being true are, more often than not, things that would actually make sense. The difference is that if you're confronted with a conspiracy and you can safely say: "Well, I could see that, I guess," there's a chance. If, however, you say to yourself: "What did you say I don't even?" you have yourself aliens impersonating government officials and you should back away quickly.
Old 2013-01-09, 18:29   Link #15
Zakoo

What about in ten years the amount of people using at the same time the research navigator google, the social network google +, and the browser chrome begin to be astoundingly big, google would end up as a total control over information of our life, whether they want to sell it or no would be entirely up to them, your will has no effect on this since there's no more concurrence because it has the absolute "monopole". That's by definition what it has been said in the 3 or 4 post before it, and that's supposed to be ... a good thing?

I'm not answering to whether google doing an online library is a good or bad thing, but if a society monopolizing everything is a good or bad thing.

It's like being totally dependant from a country an oil or gaz import hopefully most politicians from both europe and united state don't think "it's fine to be totally dependant from one country, it's not like they are doing a bad thing". Yeah the moment they close the pipeline ciao amigo.
Old 2013-01-09, 18:36   Link #16
Dr. Casey

I just looked over all the posts in this thread, and I don't see anyone saying anything to the contrary, or any warning signs that Google intends to gain an excessive amount of power or influence.
Old 2013-01-09, 18:43   Link #17
Traece

Quote:
What about in ten years the amount of people using at the same time the research navigator google, the social network google +, and the browser chrome begin to be astoundingly big, google would end up as a total control over information of our life, whether they want to sell it or no would be entirely up to them, your will has no effect on this since there's no more concurrence because it has the absolute "monopole". That's by definition what it has been said in the 3 or 4 post before it, and that's supposed to be ... a good thing?
Do people even use Google +? Heck, even Chrome doesn't see "that" widespread of use.

Google certainly has fielded their own attempts at things, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they've succeeded. Literally the only way to get everyone to just use Google products would be to make them the ONLY products. Plus, I highly doubt that Wikipedia will ever be eclipsed by Google. For all Google's worth and power, they're still a business. Wikipedia has the advantage of not being confined by business practices.
Old 2013-01-09, 18:49   Link #18
Zakoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Do people even use Google +? Heck, even Chrome doesn't see "that" widespread of use.
Chrome is the most used browser in the world. and G+ has more than 500 millions people suscribded inside.
Old 2013-01-09, 18:52   Link #19
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I have Chrome...I don't use Chrome. (I got it because there was a website that liked to put funny tags on their pictures, but they only showed up in Chrome).

Google's main reason for logging is likely Youtube these days.
Old 2013-01-09, 18:58   Link #20
Traece

Quote:
Chrome is the most used browser in the world. and G+ has more than 500 millions people suscribded inside.
the most used browser in the world

most used browser in the world

the world...

So... Am I to understand that Google Chrome is now offered with every Microsoft computer instead of Internet Explorer?

G+ may be gaining popularity, but Facebook really can't be eclipsed when it comes to social networking.