Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-07-25, 12:02   Link #1
Hisoka Hajime
City Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Hisoka Hajime
Transformers Headmasters!

I'd like to thank both WWP and TN for making this all possible. I've been wanting to see the Headmasters series in japanese for many years and now my little wish has come true. The first two eps were fantastic and I hope the series stays this good. Thanks again!
Hisoka Hajime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-27, 08:11   Link #2
Izzy
Corrupted

I would also like to thank them for releasing the Headmaster series.....it brings nostalgia

though I hate to say this but..........English dub > Japanese dub
this is one of the few times that English dub is pretty good
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-27, 13:16   Link #3
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy
I would also like to thank them for releasing the Headmaster series.....it brings nostalgia

though I hate to say this but..........English dub > Japanese dub
this is one of the few times that English dub is pretty good

Headmasters is not a japanese dub nor was seasons 1-3 an english dub,not at least in the way you mean it. Seasons 1-3 were made for US television,it wasn't until later that the Japanese picked them up for airing and dubbed them.

Headmasters was created totaly in japan for japanese television(they didn't even air that horrid rebirth miniseries)so it wasn't a dub. And I am not really sure what you mean then by the english dub is pretty good. As if you are refering to the Horrid dub from,i think it is called star tv,for headmasters and masterforce and victiory then damn +_+ that was the all time most awful dub ever. They had like 3 guys do the voice for everyone. Them calling him convoy sometimes and Prime others was just the smallest problem.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-28, 05:52   Link #4
ShikaShika
無罪

I think by dub he simply means a voicetrack, with no regard for it being the original voicetrack or a later dub.
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-29, 01:55   Link #5
DryMaltExtract
Huge Member

Liked the first few eps but when:

Spoiler:

It's a shame that the animation quality is lower, esp. with all the gestaults running around. I also don't like the fact that the transformation noise is only played sometimes but meh.

I also really liked the Rebirth 3 part series, not sure why so many people hate it so much. I don't like the Arcee and Daniel "OMFG I'm going to act like I'm your mother!" bit but I liked the rest, esp. the part where the target masters put Galvatron in his place.

Nostalgia to the max.
DryMaltExtract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-29, 08:08   Link #6
Izzy
Corrupted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akamaru
I think by dub he simply means a voicetrack, with no regard for it being the original voicetrack or a later dub.
yep he got the point...hearing Soundwave's JPN voice sounds so echoish while the ENGL voice is very robotic for him it fits him well
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-29, 14:08   Link #7
krem

Headmasters is pretty poor compared to the other series, Masterforce is better. Saw their other release of Superlink, the incomplete series which was meant to be 52 eps but got canned due to lack of popularity.

Looking forward to Dreamwork's Transformers Live Action.
krem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-29, 15:50   Link #8
Hisoka Hajime
City Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Hisoka Hajime
Quote:
Originally Posted by krem
Headmasters is pretty poor compared to the other series, Masterforce is better. Saw their other release of Superlink, the incomplete series which was meant to be 52 eps but got canned due to lack of popularity.

What episode number did they stop at?
Hisoka Hajime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-30, 02:13   Link #9
Cyberdramon

Quote:
Originally Posted by krem

Okay...not to call you a liar or anything but I'd like to know what your source is that says Super Link was canned?

It's still airing (Ep30 is the latest) and the toys are selling pretty well in the US and I'd imagine they're doing at least "Okay" in Japan given all the promotional items being released.

So please... enlighten me :O
Cyberdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-30, 03:37   Link #10
Blaat

I also like Masterforce better but that's because there were less characters in Masterforce, far less. So I wasn't overwhelmed by it.

I like some Japanese voices better e.g. Galvatron and other times the English voices e.g. Soundwave.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-31, 14:47   Link #11
krem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdramon
Okay...not to call you a liar or anything but I'd like to know what your source is that says Super Link was canned?

It's still airing (Ep30 is the latest) and the toys are selling pretty well in the US and I'd imagine they're doing at least "Okay" in Japan given all the promotional items being released.

So please... enlighten me :O
Ok Buddha, I stand corrected. I got confused with Armada, for which the comic and the series got canned I understand. Superlink/Energon was the replacement.

Still all these series lack the joy and fun of Generation 1, and the movie just OWNED.
krem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-01, 09:02   Link #12
Marduk
Shitennô no Hitori

Nah, Armada *or Miclone Densetsu* had its 52 episodes. And the Armada comic by Dreamwave ended with issue 18 *IMHO prematurely* and now goes by the name of Energon.

Headmasters, well, it has its weaknesses, but I still like it better than Rebirth. More than 30 new Transformers in less than an hour? Gimme a break.....
Marduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-01, 10:17   Link #13
Iron Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk
Nah, Armada *or Miclone Densetsu* had its 52 episodes. And the Armada comic by Dreamwave ended with issue 18 *IMHO prematurely* and now goes by the name of Energon.

Headmasters, well, it has its weaknesses, but I still like it better than Rebirth. More than 30 new Transformers in less than an hour? Gimme a break.....
Yeah, I didn't like Rebirth either. But like the creator said, it was more of a parade of new Transformers than actual story. He said something about Hasbro wanting him to fit all the different Headmasters, Targetmasters, etc etc into it so they could advertise for the toys. The guy himself admitted the storyline was weak, but his hands were kinda tied.
Iron Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 04:28   Link #14
mememe
hmmm baka

Send a message via MSN to mememe
They're airing Armada in Australia now and it's bad and just couldn't be watched!!!!! I think they would do better with the old ones. I haven't checked out the subs yet but i will i have found out that the graphics are crap but hows the story line???????
mememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 00:12   Link #15
strategos

Is Headmaster a continuation of the original series? Does any other series follow after it?

http://www.viz.com/apps
http://www.hulu.com
strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 01:21   Link #16
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Headmasters...in theory follows after the original Transformers third season (after the "Return of Optimus Prime" arc) but removes the America version "fourth season" which was basically a small arc about the Headmasters.

Because of this, the two versions origins for the Headmasters is vastly different, but the Japanese story continues on much longer.

After "Headmasters" came "Super God Masterforce", then "Victory", that I think an OVA or two. Following that...by some years (where most English speaking fans came back into the series), was the Canadian producton "Beast Wars" and "Beast Machines" (along with the Japanese "Beast Wars II" between them). I believe Beast Machines was techincally the end of the televised timeline that started with the Transformers in 1984. The three Japanese shows (Headmasters, Masterforce, and Victory) total 116 episodes.

I have only seem the Headmasters, Masterforce, and Victory in rather terrible Hong Kong English Dubs by Omni Productions. I mean teh dub gets the points of the story across and you can understand what is going on (usually), but its just....annoyingly bad how the lines are delivered. That and the names. Find a center between the American names and the Japanese names....than thrown random names at it. That's close to what you get in Headmasters. Masterforce suffers from being a little too weird when sticking to America character names. Yes I know the robot is named Hosehead. He'd a firetruck, that makes some sense. But in Masterforce...the robots are just empty robots (in some cases) with a human controller. The human is named Hosehead. Why? I know the Japanese didn't do that. They used the toy's motormaster figure name for the human and the robot either kept its own name, or took the name of the human inside, not the other way around.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-08-10 at 01:45.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 15:55   Link #17
strategos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Headmasters...in theory follows after the original Transformers third season (after the "Return of Optimus Prime" arc) but removes the America version "fourth season" which was basically a small arc about the Headmasters.

Because of this, the two versions origins for the Headmasters is vastly different, but the Japanese story continues on much longer.

After "Headmasters" came "Super God Masterforce", then "Victory", that I think an OVA or two. Following that...by some years (where most English speaking fans came back into the series), was the Canadian producton "Beast Wars" and "Beast Machines" (along with the Japanese "Beast Wars II" between them). I believe Beast Machines was techincally the end of the televised timeline that started with the Transformers in 1984. The three Japanese shows (Headmasters, Masterforce, and Victory) total 116 episodes.

I have only seem the Headmasters, Masterforce, and Victory in rather terrible Hong Kong English Dubs by Omni Productions. I mean teh dub gets the points of the story across and you can understand what is going on (usually), but its just....annoyingly bad how the lines are delivered. That and the names. Find a center between the American names and the Japanese names....than thrown random names at it. That's close to what you get in Headmasters. Masterforce suffers from being a little too weird when sticking to America character names. Yes I know the robot is named Hosehead. He'd a firetruck, that makes some sense. But in Masterforce...the robots are just empty robots (in some cases) with a human controller. The human is named Hosehead. Why? I know the Japanese didn't do that. They used the toy's motormaster figure name for the human and the robot either kept its own name, or took the name of the human inside, not the other way around.
Sometime Transformers didn't make any sense. For example.I watched the movie recently, 1986. I was like "What?" I had forgotten so many things about transformers. There was a scene that when Hot Rod came to Junk Planet and then offered a peace treaty and then randomly started to dance with the ones chasing his friends and not forgetting that Ultra Magnus had died.
I guess this is why this video exist:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBMOKykaNrI

Old 2012-08-10, 18:21   Link #18
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well to be fair, the Junkions hadn't killed Ultra Magnus, and they had driven away from the body during the Weird Al song/chase scene. And they had stopped fightng when Hot Rod's ship landed. I think it was to show he'd learned something (matured) since the start of the movie.

The party was a little wild, but these are Junkions.
Old 2012-08-11, 00:09   Link #19
strategos

But sometimes there are things in the original transformers series that doesn't make sense or add up

Old 2012-08-12, 15:44   Link #20
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Yeah but some on the Deceptican plots in Headmasters are really out there. Galvatron my be off his rocker, but sometimes the underhanded subordinate plots against his plans are even more out there. I don't even remember how many planets they blew up in this series.