AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-08-22, 15:16   Link #1
Shadow Kira01

Ready Boost

Has anybody try it out on Vista?

How is the comparison between a memory card, an usb stick and actual ram?

For example, how much is a 2GB memory card worth? What about a 16GB usb stick?
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 15:45   Link #2
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Well, I believe that most computer with enough amount of RAM to satisfy Vista (e.g. 4 GB) will not gain a noticeable performance benefit from this feature. Here's some of the benchmark report :

http://www.anandtech.com/systems/sho...spx?i=2917&p=6

From the above article we can see that even having a 1 GB RAM without ReadyBoost is much faster, and since the price for RAM is pretty cheap nowadays, it's simply more efficient to get your computer more RAM, rather than relying on ReadyBoost.

ReadyBoost was actually intended to helps performance of computer with limited memory (e.g. 512 MB) at the time of Vista launch time, so people wouldn't need to upgrade their hardware to using Vista (which probably generates more sale for Microsoft). Indeed, it seems that their implementation is getting better after time, but still, since nowdays people usually have more than 1 GB, and the good performance of the new Windows 7, I don't think this feature will do much for most of us.

Moreover, for those people who have multiple operating system, and use Windows less of the time (like me), relying on such OS specific feature to have a performance boost is definitely a bad idea. And from my experience, people that running Vista with 512 MB usually won't open CS4 with 14 images...

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 15:49   Link #3
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Haven't tried it out, but some of the older USB memory flash drives are not able to take advantage of ReadyBoost... heard it will speed up computers with low amount of memory such as 512 MB...

The disadvantage really is that using readyboost can wear out the flash drive quicker since it uses alot of write cycles which there is a limited number of on a USB flash drive, although they aren't a problem since flash drives are cheap now-a-days. You can easily get a 4GB flash drive for around $10 online while a 16GB will set you back around $30 online.

Also, RAM is alot faster than Flash Drives because RAM operates at a higher bandwidth than USB Flash Drives (Most flashdrives operate at 480 mbps USB, which isn't constant.) and Readyboost really can't compare to the performance of DDR, DDR2 and DDR3 since they have alot faster transfer rates. Also, RAM isn't really all that expensive (unless you are looking at DDR3 RAM).
Old 2009-08-23, 02:30   Link #4
Shadow Kira01

Thanks for the quick replies!^^

I have 4GB DDR2 but I was just curious as to what this Ready Boost feature is all about as that I do have quite a number of SD memory cards but I couldn't test it as that it might generate unpleasant effects.

Actually, when every time I run ImgBurn... I notice that there is usually only 2Gb or 2.5Gb free memory meaning that Vista and the browsers along with games and Winamp actually consume quite some RAM, especially the fact that this is a Vista 64-bit system. Of course, compared to my 512MB XP laptop, 2.0-2.5 GB free RAM is still a lot. Nonetheless, I tend to restart the system once a week to maintain good performances.

Considering that I only have two RAM slots and that each slot already have a 2GB stick, I don't think I can add any more. Or rather to say, I don't feel like opening up my rather new laptop to add extra RAM when it is unnecessary. However, it is very easy to plug in a SD memory card or a USB stick, not to mention that they are also very cheap.

Speaking of which, is it possible to use Ready Boost on a XP 32-bit system?
Old 2009-08-23, 02:49   Link #5
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Indeed, 2.5 GB of free RAM is very much, and Vista is a quite resource hog. If you want more performance I suggest you to upgrade to Windows 7 since it's quite faster and use less resource. Or you might consider to upgrade your whole system (CPU + MB + Graphic Card).

Anyway, 4 GB of DDR2 is quite adequate for today. I'm also have 2 x 2 GB DDR2 800 MHz here, and with a good graphic card (HD 4850), I can play any game at their high settings quite smoothly. I think you will need a good reason to upgrade to more than 4 GB (or 6 GB for triple channel) or it'd be quite a waste.

And ReadyBoost is a feature introduced in Windows Vista so it doesn't available on XP.

Old 2009-08-23, 10:47   Link #6
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Windows 7 memory usage in my experience of installing the RC on my Unibody Macbook Pro wasn't much different, perhaps a few percent lower (4-6% difference on my computer) and Windows 7 and Vista with Service Pack 2 installed run similarly the same with 2GB of DDR3 RAM, which made a difference in speed. I can't justify a $199 upgrade to Windows 7 ($199 since I'm using Windows Vista Business) since there are minor differences and improvements compared to Vista, it feels like a expensive service pack, but if it was priced like Snow Leopard, then Windows 7 would be more appealing, but not so much since I only use it for games... I rather spend that money on DDR 3 RAM and Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

Also, installing Windows 7 will not make much of a difference with Vista with graphics performance. If you check the results comparing the gaming performance with Win7 and Vista, there isn't much difference.
Old 2009-08-23, 13:00   Link #7
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Windows 7 memory usage in my experience of installing the RC on my Unibody Macbook Pro wasn't much different, perhaps a few percent lower (4-6% difference on my computer) and Windows 7 and Vista with Service Pack 2 installed run similarly the same with 2GB of DDR3 RAM, which made a difference in speed. I can't justify a $199 upgrade to Windows 7 ($199 since I'm using Windows Vista Business) since there are minor differences and improvements compared to Vista, it feels like a expensive service pack, but if it was priced like Snow Leopard, then Windows 7 would be more appealing, but not so much since I only use it for games... I rather spend that money on DDR 3 RAM and Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

Also, installing Windows 7 will not make much of a difference with Vista with graphics performance. If you check the results comparing the gaming performance with Win7 and Vista, there isn't much difference.
You got a good point.

Actually, I don't plan on upgrading anything except maybe add more RAM to my XP as that 512MB is really lacking.. Is it possible to create a Vista disc without the actual disc? I know it is possible to create a XP disc based on the i386 folder but what about Vista?

Currently, I have yet to test the genuine XP disc I created as that I haven't bother spending time on creating some backup discs. Somehow, I have to restore my broken laptop to factory settings with a clean installation but I am sure Vista will do fine too. Not sure about 64-bit though.. Generally, my question is.. How to create a genuine Vista disc without having the actual disc? And also, will Vista 64-bit work on a 1.46Ghz Celeron M and 512MB RAM laptop? If it does, I can make good use of Ready Boost..
Old 2009-08-23, 13:20   Link #8
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
You got a good point.

Actually, I don't plan on upgrading anything except maybe add more RAM to my XP as that 512MB is really lacking.. Is it possible to create a Vista disc without the actual disc? I know it is possible to create a XP disc based on the i386 folder but what about Vista?

Currently, I have yet to test the genuine XP disc I created as that I haven't bother spending time on creating some backup discs. Somehow, I have to restore my broken laptop to factory settings with a clean installation but I am sure Vista will do fine too. Not sure about 64-bit though.. Generally, my question is.. How to create a genuine Vista disc without having the actual disc? And also, will Vista 64-bit work on a 1.46Ghz Celeron M and 512MB RAM laptop? If it does, I can make good use of Ready Boost..
Use a program called V-lite which will make a disk, but Vista needs atleast 1GB minimum to run fast enough, so it's best just to get RAM since it's not very expensive, but by the age of your computer, your computer may only take up to 2 GB of RAM.

Also, I don't think Celeron M have any 64-bit capabilities, since it's mainly based on the Pentium M platform (which is stripped down in the Celerons) ... You are best staying with Windows XP since drivers aren't available on the newer versions of Windows since that computer is several years old and it won't support Aero graphics anyways.
Old 2009-08-23, 23:28   Link #9
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Use a program called V-lite which will make a disk, but Vista needs atleast 1GB minimum to run fast enough, so it's best just to get RAM since it's not very expensive, but by the age of your computer, your computer may only take up to 2 GB of RAM.

Also, I don't think Celeron M have any 64-bit capabilities, since it's mainly based on the Pentium M platform (which is stripped down in the Celerons) ... You are best staying with Windows XP since drivers aren't available on the newer versions of Windows since that computer is several years old and it won't support Aero graphics anyways.
In that case, I will stick to XP..

The only cool thing about Vista would be the Aero graphics..
Old 2009-08-24, 03:35   Link #10
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

[linux user mode on]
... How about compiz?
[linux user mode off]

Old 2009-08-24, 05:36   Link #11
Dreamtale
Recursion...

Vista... Vista was total fail since the begining! Only 7 or XP if you have weak pc!

PS or *nix, mac for advanced users
Dreamtale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 11:36   Link #12
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamtale View Post
Vista... Vista was total fail since the begining! Only 7 or XP if you have weak pc!

PS or *nix, mac for advanced users
Even if you install Windows 7 on a old computer, it's just a waste since it may run fast, but you can't take advantage of the new feature it provides and it would be alot cheaper just to buy a new computer with Windows 7 preinstalled and the benefit of having newer hardware...

The upgrade and full version prices for Windows 7 is too expensive, just like Vista... They should just make one version and just sell it for a affordable price, but that won't happen since it's Microsoft. The Windows 7 upgrade cost itself could be used on buying a faster HD and RAM, often cheaper than buying Windows 7 upgrade...

If you are in a University or college, you may be able to get it for free or a reduced price. My sister gets all her software for free (including Microsoft software) since the licenses are already included in her tuition.

Also, Windows Vista isn't as bad as it was before since the launch, more so with Service Pack 2. People should really stop blaming Vista for their computer problems.
Old 2009-08-24, 11:59   Link #13
Dreamtale
Recursion...

I can reveal for you a big mystery, if you don't know already - in Russia we don't buy soft, we crack it! License software only for big companies. For home users... Well it's another topic to discuss...
Quote:
Also, Windows Vista isn't as bad as it was before since the launch, more so with Service Pack 2. People should really stop blaming Vista for their computer problems.
Before 7 i had vista... it worked normally until several unexplainebale (supernatural even maybe) BSOD... That is all it is! Now - windows 7 (and server on the other machine + linux, but it' different conversation ) and nothing to complai about
Dreamtale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 13:40   Link #14
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamtale View Post
I can reveal for you a big mystery, if you don't know already - in Russia we don't buy soft, we crack it! License software only for big companies. For home users... Well it's another topic to discuss...

Before 7 i had vista... it worked normally until several unexplainebale (supernatural even maybe) BSOD... That is all it is! Now - windows 7 (and server on the other machine + linux, but it' different conversation ) and nothing to complai about
Most of BSOD is mainly caused by poorly designed drivers or malfunctioning hardware, this was the case when Vista first came out... Now, the driver situation is gone and I have Vista with a clean install on my BootCamp partition on my Unibody Macbook Pro and I hardly have any crashes at all and runs just as stable as Windows 7, so I have no reason so dish out 199 dollars for a expensive service pack, but it will benefit people who don't own a copy of Vista and use XP alot more.

Most of the problems happen with Vista is due to OEMs installing crapware on the computer, people really shouldn't blame Vista on that since the OS does not come with that sort of software. However, compared to any version of Windows, Mac OS X and Linux is alot more stable and hardly have the problems of Vista.

Not to mention, Windows 7 still uses the same kernel that Windows Vista SP2 and Server 2008 is using.
Old 2009-08-26, 14:37   Link #15
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Vista is excellent for a the following: an HTPC or 64bit. xp64 is horrid no matter how bad people make Vista out to be it's light years superior to xp64, if you want 64bit Vista is it (or was until 7). And no opensource HTPC frontend was as polished IMO as Vista Media Centre. And trust me I tried 3 or 4 of the most popular xp frontends out there. You could use XP media Centre edition but that's also only 32 bit as well. Why do you want to run 64 bit on 512 Ram (and on top of that a Celeron m)? It defeats the entire purpose of the main reason 64 bit is in fashion - it allows you to use more RAM by getting past the 4gb limitation on 32bit systems. More RAM better performance

The read/write cycles of desktop RAM is far more intensive than what a USB stick is designed for. Not only is it slower but expect to have a shortened lifespan. Read this. http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...id=2160&page=5 The effects of readyboost are marginal for underpowered systems. Notice now 1gb of system ram is outperforming 512mbs +4gb of Readyboost in most applications? What you're trying to do is the equivalent of trying to push a 10 ton truck up Mount Everest using a wheelbarrow. Stick with 32bit xp, buy a 512mb stick of Sodimm DDR Laptop Ram which costs peanuts now for real improvement
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 14:49   Link #16
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
Vista is excellent for a the following: an HTPC or 64bit. xp64 is horrid no matter how bad people make Vista out to be it's light years superior to xp64, if you want 64bit Vista is it (or was until 7). And no opensource HTPC frontend was as polished IMO as Vista Media Centre. And trust me I tried 3 or 4 of the most popular xp frontends out there. You could use XP media Centre edition but that's also only 32 bit as well. Why do you want to run 64 bit on 512 Ram (and on top of that a Celeron m)? It defeats the entire purpose of the main reason 64 bit is in fashion - it allows you to use more RAM by getting past the 4gb limitation on 32bit systems. More RAM better performance

The read/write cycles of desktop RAM is far more intensive than what a USB stick is designed for. Not only is it slower but expect to have a shortened lifespan. Read this. http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...id=2160&page=5 The effects of readyboost are marginal for underpowered systems. Notice now 1gb of system ram is outperforming 512mbs +4gb of Readyboost in most applications? What you're trying to do is the equivalent of trying to push a 10 ton truck up Mount Everest using a wheelbarrow. Stick with 32bit xp, buy a 512mb stick of Sodimm DDR Laptop Ram which costs peanuts now for real improvement
Nice comparison..

Apparently, I can only create a 64-bit Vista disc or a 32-bit XP disc out of what I got. Thus, I will stick to 32-bit XP and probably will grab extra RAM instead. Currently, its not like I need two laptops but I should repair it anyways as that all I got to do is restore to factory settings by installing 32-bit XP and add extra RAM, then its pretty much done.