AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 08
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 56 38.62%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 52 35.86%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 24 16.55%
7 out of 10: Good... 9 6.21%
6 out of 10: Average... 1 0.69%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 1 0.69%
4 out of 10: Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.38%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-08-26, 10:58   Link #241
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I dunno, it just says it stops when a player reaches 50%. If it's first strike anyway, then you wouldn't be able to hit them twice as it was, so why else would that clause be there if not to say it caps damage at 50% of a player's health?
But it never states that it will prevent the HP of the player to fall below 1-50%, so if the strike made is powerful enough to exceed 100% of the opponent's hp, wouldn't that still cause death?
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 10:59   Link #242
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaturas View Post
I hope he will get the fame he deserves. Even though he follows the rule to not stand out, he is damn strongest player in Sao. I don't think there is anyone stronger/higher lvl than him in the whole game.
Most of time in these types of scenarios the more one tries not to "stand out" the more they do. Case-in point, beating a member of a distinguished organization in broad daylight with many on-lookers around is certainly not a good way to go about it. We don't really know if Kirito is the strongest player in the game anyway, the series just really starting afterall.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 11:03   Link #243
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Most of time in these types of scenarios the more one tries not to "stand out" the more they do. Case-in point, beating a member of a distinguished organization in broad daylight with many on-lookers around is certainly not a good way to go about it. We don't really know if Kirito is the strongest player in the game anyway, the series just really starting afterall.
"Yo, I heard some random scrub beat a KoB member on the front lines in a duel the other day"

"Oh, the one where the KoB guy had his sword break?, Pshaw, that wasn't a win, that was an accident, it doesn't mean anything"

To be fair we don't have much pointing us to believe the KoB guy was a front liner fighter. And since he's serving on body guard duty he's more likely just a low-ranking scrub.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 11:05   Link #244
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
My issue wasn't the duel itself, but rather Kirito being the one to participate instead of Asuna and her being really timid here. Hell Kirito could have just shown his Lvl to shut his mouth and avoid the conflict there. Surely Kuradeel is not so stupid that he'd still want to fight after seeing it.
It would have been nice to see Asuna curb-stomp that guy, but can kind of get why. Besides the fact that the guy is creepy as hell there are more reasons why she'd just be holding herself back there. Probably thinks she's helped create intense guys like that because of how focused she's been and pushing people to clear the game. After helping create the atmosphere within that guild might not feel comfortable picking a fight with this guy. Plus already had that crowd gathering from the first spat between them and probably didn't want to cause more trouble by personally getting into another argument. Kirito is a solo player so less issue (especially if Asuna talks to the guild leader later) if he takes care of it.

Of course would have liked her being able to handle it alone, but is in a party with Kirito so its ok to spread out the burdens . In terms of showing levels off I think that guy might still be dumb enough to pick the fight. Plus maybe Kirito was just getting tired of this guy as well. Demonstrating with force seems more effective anyways with that type.
Old 2012-08-26, 11:10   Link #245
Lota

Oh, pleeeeeease... Are you really blaming Asuna for hiding behind Kirito? The girl's not scared of fighting monsters in the front lines, she's not hiding behind men there... But, you've got to admit, Kuradeel is creeeeeepyyyyy. If I were her and I had to choose between fighting a monster and spending time with Kuradeel, I'd go for the first one. You have no idea how scary stalkers can be. You can't blame any woman, Asuna's age or older, for freaking out. I'd freak out too, and she trusts Kirito, so running away and hiding behind him is actually the natural thing to do. Frankly, I'd be more surprised if she didn't hide after learning the fact that Kuradeel's been stalking her for months. And, I think she feels guilty for some reason.

Anyway, really enjoyed this episode. The main story began, and it almost looks like an entirely different show. Hopefully, the next episodes will prove to be just as enjoyable I know they will, muahahahahahaha
Lota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 11:14   Link #246
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post

There definitely were sexist elements in this episode. The cooking not so much, since it makes sense in terms of her character. But cowering behind Kirito when Kuradeel shows up ... well, imagine how many people would be crying "emasculation!" if the scene were genderflipped. Even if people can explain her behavior in terms of plot, Kawahara still chose to write the plot in a way where that scene happens.
I'll admit that this was lame. It was lame for Asuna to be portrayed like that in this scene. But I just think of it as bad writing due to it being really OoC moreso than it being sexist, per se. It's bad because it's OoC for Asuna - I doubt many people would care if someone like Silica was cowering behind Kirito, for example.

In other words, the problem isn't that a female character is cowering behind Kirito. The problem is that Asuna is cowering behind him, and that just doesn't suit her character.

Anyway, I don't think it takes away that much from the general, all-around competency that Asuna displays on a regular basis. Asuna is clearly a superb fighter, and a very accomplished person (at least in SAO).
Old 2012-08-26, 11:23   Link #247
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Wait...I just realize something. I think it was said somewhere that the players actually don't feel pain in the game. So they have the basic touch feel, but not pain? So what's up with Kirito muttering pain when he hit the wall or Asuna landed on him. Now thinking back to the prior episodes, the players really seem like they can feel pain when they are hurt....What a weird setting
Old 2012-08-26, 11:24   Link #248
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
There comes a point where such a comment is just of the same corrosive nature as the US's ultra PC environment where anything and everything is construed as a slant against a gender, race, or you you name it.

We're talking about the same writer here that wrote AW. You know Haru and how he tends to depend on KYH at points of the story for psychological support and what not? Is this sexist against males now too?

Construing this as a sexist portrayal of women is laughable at best and isn't really grounded in anything. Sorry Enzo, I think you're stretching it here way too much.

When the story starts mentioning anything about gender roles in an overt way, then we can talk.
To be honest you're overreacting massively here, parsing one statement I made in response to a specific citation of a different scene being sexist (which I argued was not) out of probably 20 paragraphs I've written on SAO in the last two days. Seriously - you're way, way out of line and completely out of context.

FTR, I still don't like that scene on its own terms. Asuna doing that was silly and demeaning and I don't give a rat's ass if that offends you. Making a comment about one moment in an episode isn't some kind of blanket political statement unless you come to the table looking to pick a fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'll admit that this was lame. It was lame for Asuna to be portrayed like that in this scene. But I just think of it as bad writing due to it being really OoC moreso than it being sexist, per se. It's bad because it's OoC for Asuna - I doubt many people would care if someone like Silica was cowering behind Kirito, for example.

In other words, the problem isn't that a female character is cowering behind Kirito. The problem is that Asuna is cowering behind him, and that just doesn't suit her character.
That's the basic gist of it. Kawahara's characters aren't a good place to look for larger social statements - I don't think there's a lot of deeper social meaning as regards to gender or anything else, because they're not really nuanced enough for it to make a difference - they're basically archetypal anime and MMO characters populating his richly-imagined universe. The social commentary in SAO (especially) and AW comes from the plot, not the characters.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2012-08-26 at 11:49.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 11:30   Link #249
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Even if Kirito's a higher level, she probably wasn't expecting one of her guildmates to get his butt kicked like a nameless mook going up against Toshiro Mifune. I mean, Kirito broke a frontline sword in one blow -- and he wasn't even using his good sword.
Judging from Liz's Appraisal windows, Dark Repulser is in fact inferior to Elucidator, but by a very tiny margin.
Considering Kirito's habit to be prepared, he probably use Elucidator as his main weapon, and has Dark Repulser as a back up (and since weapons can break during mid battle, it makes sense that Kirito was looking for a similar weapon just in case).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZERO View Post
Wait...I just realize something. I think it was said somewhere that the players actually don't feel pain in the game. So they have the basic touch feel, but not pain? So what's up with Kirito muttering pain when he hit the wall or Asuna landed on him. Now thinking back to the prior episodes, the players really seem like they can feel pain when they are hurt....What a weird setting
I'm pretty sure the game involve pain inhibition to certain degree, but the show has shown the characters do feel pain, but obviously not to what it would feel IRL.

Anyway, this episode was quite good in term of mood and all, and as I expected, animating the side stories was a good call, however bad the directing was, considering jumping from Episode 1 to this one would be extremely jarring, as if "nothing happens between the start of SAO up to floor 74".
Even if people are most likely used to basic mechanics of a MMO, it does flesh out the gameplay and details offered there, especially some question that would emerge (like if PK has to be activated, restrictions to where you can PK, items durability, forge etc).

However, what worries me a lot right now is how the budget is still weirdly used here. Frankly, the cheap tricks for the animation are tiring to no end now, and these being present even during the "main arc" is baffling me.
Whereas Asuna's steps were fine, albeit clumsy in term of proportions, Kirito's attacks and Asuna's dodge manoeuvres were solely composed to still shots.
Episode 2 was already average at best, but we are already past the third of the series, so it would be really time for them to commit in the production values of the series.
Old 2012-08-26, 11:33   Link #250
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Judging from Liz's Appraisal windows, Dark Repulser is in fact inferior to Elucidator, but by a very tiny margin.
Yeah, I was curious about that statement as well. Dark Repulser has like 4 more strength, but MUCH lower agility, 10 lower attack, lower durability, 5 lower equip boost, and 10 lower weight. The only thing I could possibly think of that might make it superior is that Elucidator is an "Armor" sword, while Dark Repulser is a "Running" sword.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 11:46   Link #251
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
But it never states that it will prevent the HP of the player to fall below 1-50%, so if the strike made is powerful enough to exceed 100% of the opponent's hp, wouldn't that still cause death?
I'd wager that for a one hit kill scenario to even be plausible, you'd have to be doing some ridiculous duel where one person is one upping the other guy by like 20+ levels and have vastly superior equipment and skills.

Given that the duel ends after someone drops below 50% either the player would need to do the full 100% damage in the opening hit, or they'd have to deal a full 50%+ damage in the final strike if they could get their opponent to the minimum damage that doesn't end the duel. While I suppose it's possible, if the game itself is fair, two people duelling at relatively close levels shouldn't be able to do that.
Old 2012-08-26, 11:53   Link #252
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Considering that even lethal damage isn't instantaneous (ex: Diabel and Sachi), it is possible that "First Strike Mode" will prevent the HP going anywhere lower than 50% when the player receives way too much damage.
I wouldn't be surprised if normal mode is ignored altogether due to the risks, except for sleep PK.
Old 2012-08-26, 11:53   Link #253
Clarste
Human

Kirito asked Lisbeth for a sword "as good as this one" instead of "better than this one". Probably a back-up sword of some sort. Although you'd think he'd want to use Dark Repulsor as his main sword as a show of friendship or something. Or maybe he just doesn't care as much if Elucidator loses durability.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 11:55   Link #254
Xaturas

Quote:
To you and other guys commenting about this issue.
So we have Kirito one of 10-11k players who is soloing front lines.

His battle power, knowledge and adaptation to surprises should be way above any other player.

I can only Kawahika (or whats his name) and his gm's being stronger than Kirito, thanks to their admin rights. Because frankly he will fight them at lvl 90-100 or so, its just the basic of the basics.

Back to Kirito and his strength/fame. Anime is totally inconsistent to it, at some eps people instantly know who he is, at other instances he is treated like random scrub. They should decide, he is either a well known beater or just one of the many.
For me he is strongest player from the whole playerbase, the end. Unless I will see someone also soloing mobs at front lines dungeons.

As for the sword issue. You guys forget one thing.
Crafted sword had +0, dropped sword had no *enchantment* value.
Most likely that crafted sword can be enchanted to higher levels, while that droped epic sword cannot.
Simple mmorpg stuff guys its simple, and was already explained in the thread where sword was crafted.
Old 2012-08-26, 12:21   Link #255
Rakshasa

Quote:
Back to Kirito and his strength/fame. Anime is totally inconsistent to it, at some eps people instantly know who he is, at other instances he is treated like random scrub. They should decide, he is either a well known beater or just one of the many.
They have been pretty damn consistent with who know and who doesn't know him, it's just that you aren't considering by who and where his is seen.
Old 2012-08-26, 12:23   Link #256
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Kirito asked Lisbeth for a sword "as good as this one" instead of "better than this one". Probably a back-up sword of some sort. Although you'd think he'd want to use Dark Repulsor as his main sword as a show of friendship or something. Or maybe he just doesn't care as much if Elucidator loses durability.
He actually asked "equal or better" than Elucidator, so probably expecting a weapon on the same style. And considering it became slightly less powerful than eludicator and still equipping the latter, it should be some back up plan.
Quote:
As for the sword issue. You guys forget one thing.
Crafted sword had +0, dropped sword had no *enchantment* value.
Most likely that crafted sword can be enchanted to higher levels, while that droped epic sword cannot.
Simple mmorpg stuff guys its simple, and was already explained in the thread where sword was crafted.
We didn't forget, and some people already mentioned that last week. That said, if Kirito isn't using that weapon, that means a lot regarding what weapon he trusts the most, since he always goes with the most straightforward plan, so leaving his "best weapon" aside doesn't make sense.
Also, enchantment etc isn't always an option that can be afforded by anyone: enchanting high quality weapons and legendaries would require rare material, a master blacksmith and some luck, as depending of the MMO, failing the enchantment might lead to loss of durability etc.
While Dark Repulser has obviously the potential to be stronger than Elucidator, it doesn't mean it can be right on the get go.

But beyond that, the amount of money would be a deterrent, and right now, Kirito considers himself as poor, so he prolly has just enough col for his basic needs.
Old 2012-08-26, 12:33   Link #257
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
He said "as good as this or better", not one or the other. And when it's life or death, you don't let sentimentality cloud your judgment, you use what's better. And Elucidator is definitely better, not by much, but it's clearly better.

Quote:
So we have Kirito one of 10-11k players who is soloing front lines.
There were only 10k players to begin with. Only 500 are front liners.

Quote:
I don't see how it's inconsistent if it isn't the same players both times. Regardless of fame, not everyone knows every rumor.

Quote:
What basis does that have? We haven't been shown that it's been upgraded, enhanced, or enchanted. You can't just arbitrarily bring in maybes like that.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 12:45   Link #258
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I'd liken the difference to be between that of the Crusader and Piranha shotguns in ME3...

Anyway, a little blink and you'll miss it scene - the entrance to the 74th floor dungeon is exactly the same as the Treasury of city of Petra. Heck, floor 74 looks to be a shout out to Petra, given that the main area looks alot like the Cordo Maximum.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 13:06   Link #259
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist

Best episode since the first. I guess its safe to say the side stories are over now and the main story is starting?
Old 2012-08-26, 13:29   Link #260
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Anyway, a little blink and you'll miss it scene - the entrance to the 74th floor dungeon is exactly the same as the Treasury of city of Petra. Heck, floor 74 looks to be a shout out to Petra, given that the main area looks alot like the Cordo Maximum.
Had Indiana Jones and the last Crusade flashbacks when I saw the entrance... but it wasn't until I followed your link that I realized why. Thanks!
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
end card, weekly spoiler discussion