AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-03-27, 02:03   Link #1
arsenalwow

Do you guys know any other anime thats similar to suzuka or fall under that category? Serious romance, drama. I don't like comedy romance stuff. Looking for more good titles like kimi, suzuka, etc.

Thanks
Old 2006-03-27, 04:43   Link #2
uplinkhack

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalwow
Do you guys know any other anime thats similar to suzuka or fall under that category? Serious romance, drama. I don't like comedy romance stuff. Looking for more good titles like kimi, suzuka, etc.

Thanks
i'm also looking for something that's like Suzuka cos my gf likes them...any Suzuka 2 possiblity?
Old 2006-03-27, 05:04   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I haven't really come across anything exactly like Suzuka and the premise.... one of the reasons I was attracted to it. Of course, even Suzuka had elements of "humor" in it.

Other "triangle" or straight one-on-one romances I can think of have doses of comedy (not over the top but still humor ... just like real life is sometimes funny). These recommendations have some humor just like real life but I've tried to avoid the slapstick level of funny.

gf might really like Honey&Clover (college coed slice of life ... very highly rated even by people who violently disagree with each other) ...
REC has been pretty good so far (still in progress) ... romance about a seiyuu and advertising exec. Its an homage to Cary Grant / Audrey Hepburn romance movies so its smile funny (not haha).
The recent short series about the two teens in the hospital: Hanbu No Tsuki Ga Noboru Sora was pretty good, hardly funny at all
Lamune is a straightforward romance but very little melodrama, more of a character study of two people (my wife likes it).

if she doesn't mind a bit of fantasy she might like Tsukuyomi Moon Phase (14 yr old vampire meets 20-something photographer ... tragedy, romance, comedy - somehow manages to be silly and tragic at the same time). I'd also recommend Karin as a romance (vampires again) but it really has a fair amount of silly to it and not much tragedy.

That should get you started ... as in all things you just have to give a series a few episodes to decide about it and YMMV as usual.
Old 2006-03-27, 10:06   Link #4
arsenalwow

Thanks Vexx those seems like good suggestion for light fun.

I'm glad you know what we mean when it comes to "slap stick" comedy. lol Too funny would ruin the feel, but light humor is good.
Old 2006-03-31, 19:25   Link #5
MamoruUsagi

For serious manga related to that

Kare First Love

Mars

Peach Girl

Marmalade Boy

Kare Kano

I love love stories where the couple gets together early on in the series and is together for a long time and has lots of kisses, dates and gets married.
Old 2006-03-31, 20:05   Link #6
Mirai
Sata Andagi!

One question ...

Why would you want to watch anything like Suzuka?
Old 2006-04-01, 10:43   Link #7
mit7059

I would suggest Aishiteru ze Baby, it has some elements of comedy, but it's more realistic that most romance animes, no magic, no demons, no vampires. It's touching and innocent but very engaging. Plus its avaliable on animesuki.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-04-03, 08:23   Link #8
timojasper

I remember making a threat just like this a couple of months ago. Suzuka is one of my favorite anime so far. ATM i am watching Aishiteru ze Baby. In the begining I thought it was a bit childish, but in the later episodes it gets real emotional.
I am downloading Honey & Clover right now, really looking forward to that one.
Old 2006-04-03, 18:29   Link #9
Celeratas
Sleepdeprived animejunkie

Hmm if you want some serious stuff I suggest:
Ah! My Goddess!
AIR
Ai Yori Aoshi (Season I and II, which is called enishi) its pretty long.
Aishiteruze Baby
Canvas 2
Chobits
DA Capo (Season I and II)
Fruit Basket
Ichigo 100%
Onegai Twins
Peach Girl
Saikano*
Shuffle
Whisper of the Heart

Personally if you going to watch it with your g/f go get Aishiteruze Baby...She'll most definitely cry, then you can be the super b/f and hug and comfort her RAWR. I mean who could not love an adorable 6 year old little orphan girl, who is on the verge of disguistingly cute...As for the other ones they're pretty much the same (Girl-Guy liking situation, drama/heartbreak/etc.)
*Saikano is just really OVER dramatic, so iono if you want to watch it, its short but it took me forever to watch simply because it was soo dragging.

As for some lighter ones try any of the following: (more nose-bleed humor/skin/harem-style)
Amanaideyo
Futakoi
Girls Bravo (Season I and II)
Hanaukyo Maids
Hand Maid May
Happy Lesson (Season I, II, and OVA)
He is My Master
Kage Karu Mamoru
Love Hina
Maburaho
Midori no Hibi
Onegai Teacher
Sister Princess (Season I and II)

Hope that answers your question.
Old 2006-04-03, 18:32   Link #10
eLcHaKeTeRo
Falls for it every time.

thats a really long list, I have seen some of those already and I will more then likely check out the other ones. Thanks for the recomendations.