AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2009-02-06, 11:01   Link #61
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Kh- View Post
I don't know where are you coming from, but besides from all the let downs this past year from Kadokawa, saying that K-On would be greater than Haruhi S2 is going to far.

The build up does not equal to the final product, and looking at K-On staff, that the main staff from Haruhi are working on something else (S2?), so it's not like it would turn out to be into a bad product just because Kadokawa likes to screw up the fans, thing that KyoAni does not, mind you.
Well, you just don't know. K-On could very well be another surprise sensation like Lucky Star. It could even, god forbid, be another Haruhi. I personally have high expectations since it looks like at least Lucky Star-caliber entertainment.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 11:17   Link #62
W-General
Bushinsoukou
*Scanlator

Send a message via ICQ to W-General Send a message via AIM to W-General Send a message via MSN to W-General
Don't believe this image has been posted yet. From 2ch:
Spoiler:

Looks great. I'm surprised that Yamakan is not involved with this series, considering the legendary concert scene from episode 12 Live Alive of Haruhi came from his hands. I really wanted him to be working on this series...

As for the series itself, really looking forward to it. I'm a HUGE fan of girls in bands - I think that's the COOLEST ideas ever - naturally I listen to ZONE a lot XD and I definitely watched Linda Linda Linda. There needs to be more girls in bands or girl bands even - not just dancing around and singing, but actually playing the instruments.

I hope the seiyuu themselves better prepare themselves and practice the instruments, because when the time comes for a live concert, they're gonna have to play instruments themselves.

(As for Haruhi, I am somewhat suspicious of this whole "rerun" thing. It's probably KyoAni up to their usual viral marketing strategy. They got some surprises in store for us and we won't know about it until the day of the so-called "re-run")
W-General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 11:32   Link #63
-Kh-
ポルカ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Well, you just don't know. K-On could very well be another surprise sensation like Lucky Star. It could even, god forbid, be another Haruhi. I personally have high expectations since it looks like at least Lucky Star-caliber entertainment.
Well, that would be great, another quality and awesome series brought up by KyoAni.

I loved Haruhi, I loved LS, and if K-On delivers I'll be ready to buy it all up, but I don't see new series as a replacement or to fill up places let by other ones.

Animes aren't like women, so there's no need to keep only one up high, you can love as many series as you want and they won't get jealous, so no need to take great series off their places just because a new one is coming in
-Kh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 11:45   Link #64
ZODDGUTS

I'm gonna get flame for this but whatever I for one don't want this to be like Lucky Star never cared for that series at best it made me chuckle a few times but not really laugh the series was nothing but filled with moe crap and nothing else. Don't get me wrong I can deal with moe crap as long the series is good like Ichigo Mashimaro and Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight! but in Lucky Star it made me want to smash my head agaisn't a wall not literally but you know what I mean.

Anyways I am looking forward to this series just hope it isn't like Lucky Star. Flame away "cast 35% increase flame shield"
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 11:53   Link #65
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

You know alot of people call mecha crap as well.

Nono was a mecha and a moe character at the same time.

Why don't you try and get the greatness of moe, instead of opposing it?

You can like mecha and still like moe, I know I have absolutely no problems with both.

You know Lucky Star actually referenced alot of mecha? Then it had a character song dedicated to SRW and another dedicated at SRW OPs sung by JAM Project.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 11:54   Link #66
Midonin
Last Engage

All this worrying about the series will be like or should be like or so on. What it should be is itself.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 12:01   Link #67
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

It always happens when we are talking about KyoAni handling a new project. It happened to Haruhi itself. It happened to Lucky Star. It happend briedly to Yaoi chan. It is now K-on turn
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 12:06   Link #68
-Kh-
ポルカ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Don't get me wrong I can deal with moe crap as long the series is good like Ichigo Mashimaro and Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight! but in Lucky Star it made me want to smash my head agaisn't a wall not literally but you know what I mean.
I'm not going to flame you, but I just found something funny:

-I love Lucky Star.

-I watched Ichigo Mashimaro, thought was okish but soemtimes too much loli for my taste.

-Started watching Manabi Straight, dropped it after 3 episodes.

Like I said in my previous post, I don't wish, and people shouldn't wish that a series is like (or better than) X or Y series. Because there is always something good or bad about most series, there will probably always be many people that really liked them or many other people that hated them.

That's the way that people is, we are not copies of each other to think alike. If I wanted another series like Lucky Star, then I would want Lucky Star 2, but I don't want another series trying to mimic it and fail.

Most of the products of any kind out there that fail to deliver and to meet expectations are usually because of this, they try to mimic what has already be done, what there is already out there, and then is when get flooded by generic and uninspired products lacking unique content to make them shine among everything else.
Old 2009-02-06, 12:07   Link #69
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
You know alot of people call mecha crap as well.

Nono was a mecha and a moe character at the same time.

Why don't you try and get the greatness of moe, instead of opposing it?

You can like mecha and still like moe, I know I have absolutely no problems with both.

You know Lucky Star actually referenced alot of mecha? Then it had a character song dedicated to SRW and another dedicated at SRW OPs sung by JAM Project.
Guess it's because I grew up in old school anime that makes me hard to get into moe. Even without the moe hate I still wouldn't have liked Lucky Star didn't find it to be good not bad either just didn't care for it.

Quote:
All this worrying about the series will be like or should be like or so on. What it should be is itself.
Agreed, just another reason for it not to be like Lucky Star.
Old 2009-02-06, 12:13   Link #70
rg4619

Quote:
Looks great. I'm surprised that Yamakan is not involved with this series, considering the legendary concert scene from episode 12 Live Alive of Haruhi came from his hands. I really wanted him to be working on this series...
Aren't there political factors at play? Given Yamamoto's recent comments (clearly still bitter), as well as that reference in Kannagi, it's safe to say that things haven't completely blown over yet.

While I wouldn't rule out future collaboration, it might be a while before there's a renewed working relationship.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 12:29   Link #71
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
Aren't there political factors at play? Given Yamamoto's recent comments (clearly still bitter), as well as that reference in Kannagi, it's safe to say that things haven't completely blown over yet.

While I wouldn't rule out future collaboration, it might be a while before there's a renewed working relationship.
Well he has to be working or soon to be working on another series because I'll be quite awhile for him to work on Kannagi considering they don't have enough material for a second season plus the current manga arc which won't be resolve soon because of the manga-ka's suppose sudden "illness". Hopefully he'll work with A-1 Pictures again they already have a good relationship between the two.
Old 2009-02-06, 12:48   Link #72
Falkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
It always happens when we are talking about KyoAni handling a new project. It happened to Haruhi itself. It happened to Lucky Star. It happend briedly to Yaoi chan. It is now K-on turn
Any show done by Kyoani has always been a guilty pleasure to watch, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy this one as much. But the only thing about Kyoani that turns me off is the fact that discussions tend to go on a tangent more often than not. I mean, people were "announcing" the second season of Haruhi in this thread when it had little to do with K-On! until yesterday. (I've seen worse, but it's just an example).

I'm slightly surprised by the seiyuu cast. I couldn't recognize any of the names and it was because some of them are fairly new. Maybe they want to emphasize the fact that the characters can't play music by casting 'low-profile' seiyuus.

Anyway, this makes three the shows I'm soooo looking forward to watch this upcoming Spring. (Saki, Pandora Hearts, K-on!... maybe I'm going to add one more)
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 12:51   Link #73
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Indeed spring has a good list of anime, could your 'one more' be Queen's Blade? lol
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 12:51   Link #74
Midonin
Last Engage

I'm at least decently familiar with Aki Toyosaki. First heard her as Amuro in Umisho the summer I really became an active anime watcher, and she's doing a nice job as Najimi in Akikan! right now. Looking forward to hearing her in the lead role here.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 18:55   Link #75
Westlo
Lets be reality

Yeah I'm liking Aki Toyosaki's Najima as well, be interesting too see how her and the rest of the inexperienced cast goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post

Yeah clearly some politics were involved in his dismissal, KyoAni pretty much publicly threw him under the bus when they fired him from Lucky Star. Even if he was incompetent for the job it's not something you say publicly... especially about the guy who was behind the Haruhi ED and LS OP crazes... and you have to consider the amount of ex KyoAni staff in Yamatoto's company Ordet...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 20:16   Link #76
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
I'm gonna get flame for this but whatever I for one don't want this to be like Lucky Star never cared for that series at best it made me chuckle a few times but not really laugh the series was nothing but filled with moe crap and nothing else. Don't get me wrong I can deal with moe crap as long the series is good like Ichigo Mashimaro and Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight! but in Lucky Star it made me want to smash my head agaisn't a wall not literally but you know what I mean.

Anyways I am looking forward to this series just hope it isn't like Lucky Star. Flame away "cast 35% increase flame shield"
Hold your horses there, buddy.

I never said I wanted K-On! to be like Lucky Star as in Lucky Star-style or humor. I said I expect it to at least be as good as Lucky Star. Given that I think Lucky Star is a 6/10 (rather good) series for me, I think that K-On! will be rather good at worst.

Good on ya for not liking Lucky Star. I can understand why you don't.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 21:29   Link #77
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Lucky Star was just masturbatory crap. Fun masturbatory crap, but still masturbatory crap.

This looks extremely similar. I'll give it a chance, but knowing KyoAni and their obscene love of blatantly advertisingreferencing their own works, among others, I'll probably hate it just as much as I did Lucky Star.

WHY can't we get the "next Haruhi" so people STOP TALKING about the old one?
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 02:05   Link #78
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
The problem with the show is that it's being defined more of by the people who animate and design it than the series itself.

It's done by KyoAni who is known for the Haruhi glorification and the depressing dramas. And it looks like Lucky Star who has a very young-girl look. Plus this is a comedy, so people are already making assumptions about it. It would be a little nice to learn more things about to show rather than just allow it to go towards spectulation.

I personally believe though for it to stand out though is that it can PROVE to us that it is really funny. Lucky Star clearly defined itself as the referential guilty pleasure series with lots of credit going towards it. This show needs to prove that it is worthy of our attention. So let's hope that the episodes we are getting aren't all about: "LOL, GIRLS CAN'T PLAY INSTRUMENTS, LOL!"
Nukerjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 02:17   Link #79
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

So the first exposure I got was the novel cover on Wikipedia. Yui looks really cute on it. And then I saw the magazine scans of her KyoAni'd. Goddammit. I think I got so used to KyoAni that I'm just sick of their art style.

If, on the lighter side, they put in even a tiny frame of pandering to Kyonko, then I'll go crazy.

P.S. inb4 Haruhi "God Knows" parody. If KyoAni's having fun with themselves, they don't know when to stop.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 04:16   Link #80
-Kh-
ポルカ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
P.S. inb4 Haruhi "God Knows" parody. If KyoAni's having fun with themselves, they don't know when to stop.

There is a reason for the God Knows scene, let me help you here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j8il4zHJ6I

I would actually hope that Ishihara were around in K-On, we need more music scenes as good as those two in anime.

And after checking some summaries of the novels, I doubt it will be anything like LS, although comedy, this is definitively a much serious story than LS that was created just to be a parody.

K-On will probably be above Hayate no Gotoku or FMPF, I just don't see much more space for it to deviate into an Enoz parody.

Tags
comedy, light music, seinen