Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2004-05-03, 10:11   Link #41
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugoiCosplay
Actually, I don't know about the anime, but in the manga Ed's father created all of them.

There was this little piece from a Chinese Magazine a while ago, quite a spoiler, and it had kind of a family tree. It pointed out that Ed's Dad was the "father" or creator of six of the sins.

Also, how old is Greed in the manga, 130 years. I don't think they ever said as he was introduced in 6 and then was pretty much 7 except for Wrath ripping him apart.
For crying out loud, there is no conclusive proof Hoenheim is The Father. That piece you said is not from a magazine but was a piece of fanart. Someone just came up with their little make belief theory and cut out the frames from the manga to use in that little tree. Whether Hoenheim is The Father is still debateable. For all we know, The Father might be Hoenheim's dad or grandad or great-granddad or he might have made Pride who might be Hoenheim.

All the Homunculi in the manga excluding Wrath & Pride are at least 100 years old. Proof: Chapter 31 - Greed remarked that all of them still wear the same faces as he left 100 years ago.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-03, 13:17   Link #42
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
All the Homunculi in the manga excluding Wrath & Pride are at least 100 years old. Proof: Chapter 31 - Greed remarked that all of them still wear the same faces as he left 100 years ago.
Greed himself told Al during the interrogation that his body has lasted for 200 years (most likely an approximation, too).
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-03, 16:52   Link #43
neoko

ramen girl...where is she from ? (had to ask)
anyways...this is getting interesting, some odd guy created 6 of the 7 sins ? or 5 ? Anyways, rumored to be ed/al's father ? w00000
But wrath and pride are different?
btw : what is Hoenheim ?
neoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-03, 17:01   Link #44
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoko
btw : what is Hoenheim ?
It's Ed and Al's father's first name...

Sonhex

Last edited by Sonhex; 2004-05-04 at 05:02.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 02:36   Link #45
Lavender

Quote:
...he might have made Pride who might be Hoenheim.
Hmmm~if Hoenheim is pride, then he is a homunclus rite? Can homunclus hav kids with a human??~I dunno

but then, u could be just saying that to say that Hoenheim is not neccesarrily the father~
Lavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 04:58   Link #46
neoko

i like ramen girl too , bring some ramen to me (isn't it food or drink or something...) ooo, from reading all this - are you telling me the manga and anime are like splitting and they aren't following each other ?
neoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 08:16   Link #47
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoko
i like ramen girl too , bring some ramen to me (isn't it food or drink or something...) ooo, from reading all this - are you telling me the manga and anime are like splitting and they aren't following each other ?
Yes, the anime has been splitting since back in Vol 4 and continues to split farther and farther as they Bones modifies the story line more and more.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 11:19   Link #48
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender
Hmmm~if Hoenheim is pride, then he is a homunclus rite? Can homunclus hav kids with a human??~I dunno
The answer to your question lies in Chapter 31.

And since Pride is very very likely to be the last Homunculus to be created, he would be the perfect model, the perfect Homunculus or human (in this series, super-human).
Old 2004-05-04, 13:13   Link #49
Yondaime
4th Hokage 四代目火影

wait do the anime eps follow a chapter progression? and if so does ep 31 coincide with chp 31 of the manga? just curious thnx!

- Yondaime

- Umineko no naku koro ni
Yondaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 20:53   Link #50
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yondaime
wait do the anime eps follow a chapter progression? and if so does ep 31 coincide with chp 31 of the manga? just curious thnx!

- Yondaime
No. The anime does not follow the manga episode-by-chapter.

The anime also took some content of the manga, adapted them, then shifted them in chronology (i.e the time which the events happened), e.g. the Train incident with Terrorist Bald was actually after Ed became a National Alchemist and was returning from Leore in the manga, in the anime it happened when he was going to Central to become a National Alchemist.

Some scenes were totally changed, e.g. Ed's qualification trial as National Alchemist, the manga's representation was just much way cooler in my book.

And now with the anime diverging heavily from the manga, the main story would not follow the manga though we might find small details being used e.g. Yoki's situation.
Old 2004-05-05, 00:02   Link #51
Ookla The Mok

Quote:
It was even confirmed much earlier by Arakawa herself in a press conference.
Arakawa Hiromu = male
Ookla The Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 00:31   Link #52
Blue Naruto
Azure Beast

I am not sure of the quality of the translation I had; however, in ep 30 Greed says, "I heard that Envy and Pride and the others are after them [the Elric Brothers]." Meaning that Pride is not the kid because obviously he is not entangled with Envy at this point. So, Pride would have had to have been around before the kid showed up. ::Apologizes in advance if I misunderstood::
Blue Naruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 01:18   Link #53
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ookla The Mok
Arakawa Hiromu = male
Interestingly I had read some articles pointing otherwise, including the following link which shows Arakawa's gender as female.

http://www.mangaseek.net/search/m/index.php?mid=5758

If you try to save her gender icon, it distinctly puts the name as female.gif.

So perhaps you could point out your official sources for Arakawa's gender so we could resolve this issue. (I too thought of Arakawa as male till I read the other articles and that profile site).
Old 2004-05-08, 15:58   Link #54
Ookla The Mok

Quote:
Interestingly I had read some articles pointing otherwise, including the following link which shows Arakawa's gender as female.

http://www.mangaseek.net/search/m/index.php?mid=5758

If you try to save her gender icon, it distinctly puts the name as female.gif.

So perhaps you could point out your official sources for Arakawa's gender so we could resolve this issue. (I too thought of Arakawa as male till I read the other articles and that profile site).
Hm. Well, that's news to me. That page doesn't say anything about it other than the female gif, so I'd be interested to see the other articles you mention.

Arakawa did work as an assistant to the Guu mangaka, who is a female using a male pseudonym. Arakawa's cow avatar looks male to me, but cows are female...

Things like this have always bugged me personally. If someone is using a male pseudonym, and you are talking about the pseudonymous persona and not necessarily the real person, what's wrong with using the male pronoun? What's wrong with calling James Tiptree, Jr. "him" instead of "her," especially since Alice Sheldon went through great pains to keep her real identity a secret for many years?

This also begs the question, how many shoujo mangaka out there are men using female pseudonyms? I would be surprised if the number is zero. I do know that some romance novels in the US (which all have female author bylines) are written by men using pseudonyms.
Ookla The Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 00:35   Link #55
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Hm. Well, that's news to me. That page doesn't say anything about it other than the female gif, so I'd be interested to see the other articles you mention.

Arakawa did work as an assistant to the Guu mangaka, who is a female using a male pseudonym. Arakawa's cow avatar looks male to me, but cows are female...
Yep and it's pretty well known that the females in Japan sometimes have the nicknames of "Ushi" (Cow), you don't find guys being called Ushi. But mangaseek is an accurate database.

A lot of the articles were in the blogs of Japanese viewers. Lots of them have expired by now But the general gist of them all were expressing shock that Arakawa-sensei is a woman. Note that the revelation of this (an award ceremony where Arakawa-sensei appeared in person, 小学館漫画賞 ) is supposedly in Early Apr 2004. In other words, it is a fairly recent revelation.

There's this one in a bbs which is the one that alerted me.

Quote:
荒川弘先生が女性だったなんて…!!
周囲より10日ほど情報が遅いまいんこです。
吃驚小波。

いやはやびっくりしました。
様々な固定観念から、荒川氏が男性と思って疑いませんでした。
本名は「荒川弘○」なんだとか。
弘子か弘美でしょうか。
確かに「弘」って名前は男性的ですが、同じく小学館漫画賞を受賞した篠塚氏も名前は「ひろむ」 ですしね。
描いている作品と、漢字とひらがなの差はありますが。
そんなわけで荒川先生の写真はっけーん!

http://www.ciao.shogakukan.co.jp/milmo/news/news.html

…それこそ篠塚氏のことについてですが。
集合写真の前列左端の黒スーツが荒川先生。
審査員の先生方も、授賞式当日になって初めて荒川先生が女性だと知ったんだとか。
Besides the statement, the above link leads to another anime news page whose mangaka was honoured in that award as well. Arakawa was supposed to have received an award also. In the photo of a gathering (the bottom left of the 6 photos), the woman in a black suit in the front row leftmost is supposed to be Arakawa-sensei herself.

On Amazon Japan, a reviewer ( http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...048535-1642678 ) says

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekizono
ハガレンこと鋼の錬金術師の原作本のイラスト集です。
ガンガンの初期連載の頃から(読みきり漫画数本含む)この
荒川女史(弘という名で誤解されがちですが、原作者は女性です)
の絵はキャラがみんな独特の世界観の中で生き生きと描かれていました。
漫画も連載当初から人気でしたがアニメ化で更に過熱した様です。
が、やはり原点は漫画版です。
So pretty much, the Japanese audience are already getting aware of her gender.

Quote:
Things like this have always bugged me personally. If someone is using a male pseudonym, and you are talking about the pseudonymous persona and not necessarily the real person, what's wrong with using the male pronoun? What's wrong with calling James Tiptree, Jr. "him" instead of "her," especially since Alice Sheldon went through great pains to keep her real identity a secret for many years?
Well supposedly the fact is she is using a male pseudonym because the editor felt she won't make it big using her female name. So it's still her writing as a woman to the audience. So it would be more truthful and appropriate to address the mangaka as a she.

Quote:
This also begs the question, how many shoujo mangaka out there are men using female pseudonyms? I would be surprised if the number is zero. I do know that some romance novels in the US (which all have female author bylines) are written by men using pseudonyms.
Its likely they would never come out openly revealing that unless they are handsome guys in real life. Girls want their idols realised, not destroyed. You should have seen the reaction of some of the fangirls on the bbs's when they realised Arakawa is a 'she'. Some accepted girl power. Some just went disappointed because they cannot father the child of the FMA creater

Last edited by Yebyosh; 2004-05-09 at 08:40. Reason: Corrected info on Arakawa's presence at the award ceremony
Old 2004-05-10, 10:57   Link #56
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Quote:

Its likely they would never come out openly revealing that unless they are handsome guys in real life. Girls want their idols realised, not destroyed. You should have seen the reaction of some of the fangirls on the bbs's when they realised Arakawa is a 'she'. Some accepted girl power. Some just went disappointed because they cannot father the child of the FMA creater
What?? Really? -_- I need to go draw me some manga....

But seriously, fangirls are scary...

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 19:27   Link #57
rorosama

which of the sins have the eye power i've heard so much about?
rorosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 19:55   Link #58
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorosama
which of the sins have the eye power i've heard so much about?
Manga's Wrath has the Ultimate Eye.
Old 2004-05-11, 14:50   Link #59
YukimuraAkira

i know you guys said no discussion about the anime but i like to be spoiled so i would like to know where i can at least find pictures in the manga of al and eds father and wrath?

thanks dont worry about the spoiling like i said i like to know this stuff.
YukimuraAkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 16:16   Link #60
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukimuraAkira
i know you guys said no discussion about the anime but i like to be spoiled so i would like to know where i can at least find pictures in the manga of al and eds father and wrath?

thanks dont worry about the spoiling like i said i like to know this stuff.
Suit yourself.

Spoiler for Father*SPOILER WARNING*:

Spoiler for Manga's Wrath *SPOILER WARNING*: