Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-07-24, 14:26   Link #1961
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Heck, PS2 won the sixth generation so badly IN ITS FIRST YEAR that they pretty much put Sega out of the console business shortly thereaftrer.
Not really. Sega infighting put Sega out of the console business. The Japanese side of the business was still bitter due to the whole 32x/Saturn fiasco and then, to add insult to injury, the American design for the sixth generation console won. The Dreamcast was an amazing machine with amazing games but the complete clusterfsck that was Sega during the fifth generation completely killed consumer confidence on the company and the company just shot itself in the foot repeatedly pulling out of the market after just one year competing.

It's a shame really. I always wanted to get a Dreamcast but by the time I could afford one it was already dead.
Old 2013-07-24, 16:41   Link #1962
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/07/mic...ox-one-bundle/

Quote:
“We have no plans to introduce an Xbox One without Kinect,” a spokesperson told me this afternoon. “We believe in Kinect and the value it brings to both games and entertainment, and believe $US499 is a great value for what consumers receive with their Xbox One.”
Well, that's pretty much what I expected. This means we can forget about Kinect-free consoles for at least the next 2 years.
Old 2013-07-24, 16:46   Link #1963
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

In other news...

Self-publishing confirmed for Xbox One

Quote:
“Our vision is that every person can be a creator,” said Xbox corporate VP Marc Whitten. “That every Xbox One can be used for development. That every game and experience can take advantage of all of the features of Xbox One and Xbox LIVE. This means self-publishing. This means Kinect, the cloud, achievements. This means great discoverability on Xbox LIVE. We’ll have more details on the program and the timeline at Gamescom in August.”
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 16:48   Link #1964
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Fix'ed version,

Quote:
Our vision [as of 5 minutes ago] is that every person can be a creator [...]
Old 2013-07-24, 17:15   Link #1965
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Does Microsoft realise that everything they ever said is recorded on the Internet?
They can't switch positions without acknowledging that they changed. The whole "let's pretending we didn't say the exact opposite last week" PR is just dishonest. Why can't they just admit they were wrong?

Sony admitted that the Cell Processor was the wrong way ahead. Microsoft need to learn to admit their own mistakes. PR spin doesn't work for gamers.
Old 2013-07-24, 18:57   Link #1966
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Does Microsoft realise that everything they ever said is recorded on the Internet?
They can't switch positions without acknowledging that they changed. The whole "let's pretending we didn't say the exact opposite last week" PR is just dishonest. Why can't they just admit they were wrong?

Sony admitted that the Cell Processor was the wrong way ahead. Microsoft need to learn to admit their own mistakes. PR spin doesn't work for gamers.
That'll be the day... Microsoft bowing their heads both metaphorically and physically
Old 2013-07-24, 18:59   Link #1967
Reality_Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Fix'ed version,
^This, why is it that everytime they do a 180 on a policy they act like it's always been part of their plan? I'm glad the Indies will be able to self publish now but, after all MS have said I can't believe there are sheeple who are going to read this and think MS is actually doing this for the Indie developers or consumers. If they had done things vastly differently from the start I might have thought about buying a XBone a in a few years but after all of what happened i'm not buying a console (which the XBone isn't primarily, their words) from MS as long as I live not matter how good some of their games are, heck I still haven't played a Halo game yet, it looks interesting but I can live without it.
Old 2013-07-24, 19:20   Link #1968
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
The PS4 will not reduce its system RAM, and it's very unlikely to reduce its hard drive size. If they need to cut down on price, they can just take a bigger hit - so far, the PS4 isn't losing money while the Xbone is probably bleeding $70-100 per unit. Moreover, 8Gbit GDDR5 will be available by next summer, so Sony will be seeing a $20-30 savings right there.

This rumor gets a 2 on the credibility scale. The third SKU doesn't make any sense at all. 500GB hard drives cost $25-35 - there's no reason to put in a smaller hard drive as they've been largely discontinued, and there's certainly no $50 savings to be had there. Moreover, they want everyone to have a large hard drive. Less storage will hurt their product plans much more than a price drop can help.

The Kinect-less unit is perhaps even more unlikely since it would mean that Microsoft is dumping their primary reason for making the Xbone in the first place. And they're doing so even before the console launches. Why the heck would Microsoft make that kind of decision even before they know what their sales volumes are like.

Finally, why the hell would they make the decision now? The rule of merchandising is to never announce a sale until it happens. The Wii U and Vita are sitting at their current prices even though everyone knows that they're going to see major price cuts within the next three months. That's because the meerest rumor that there's going to be a cut will impact sales until the cut is in place.
Just mentioning the possibility, not saying it in definite. Playing video games even since the NES and Genesis I know how complicating the gaming industry. All your statements are correct.

I am wondering though since the age has come that bigger RAM and memory is now becoming much popular. There could be the possibility that there will be an Xbox 1 and PS4 with bigger memory.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 19:24   Link #1969
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Did someone mention you can turn the Kinect off now? Is this true? Can you use your XBO with the Kinect totally off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
Just mentioning the possibility, not saying it in definite. Playing video games even since the NES and Genesis I know how complicating the gaming industry. All your statements are correct.

I am wondering though since the age has come that bigger RAM and memory is now becoming much popular. There could be the possibility that there will be an Xbox 1 and PS4 with bigger memory.

You speculating at a PS4 and an XBox One having SKUs that have more than 8 GBs? Like 12 GB or 16 GB? It wouldn't happen, but I won't explain why because I don't know if that is what you are saying.

Edit: You are probably talking about HDDs. I think we can expect PS4 and XBO SKUs with bigger HDDs.
Old 2013-07-24, 19:37   Link #1970
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Did someone mention you can turn the Kinect off now? Is this true? Can you use your XBO with the Kinect totally off?

You speculating at a PS4 and an XBox One having SKUs that have more than 8 GBs? Like 12 GB or 16 GB? It wouldn't happen, but I won't explain why because I don't know if that is what you are saying.

Edit: You are probably talking about HDDs. I think we can expect PS4 and XBO SKUs with bigger HDDs.
Yeah the Hard Disk Drive is what I am stating.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 19:39   Link #1971
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

So the next XB180 promise is that they're aimming to make every console a dev kit.

Question - How viable is that?
Old 2013-07-24, 20:10   Link #1972
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
MS is still sending mix messages on that. Which means the answer is no.
Old 2013-07-24, 20:12   Link #1973
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

@Chaos: I have no interest in that. I couldn't make a game that is any good with just myself and an XBO. I see no way to actually make a game that could make good money, so that is not a selling point to me. Heck, I was once considering making a couple or few very simple Skyrim mods and when I first started using the Creation Kit, it was daunting, and while I think I could make some of the mods I thought of making, it would take time and effort to pull it together and make it work well. It'd take me so much time and effort to make a game from the XBO that is 'meh'. This probably won't be much of a selling point for many.
Old 2013-07-24, 20:17   Link #1974
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
@Chaos: I have no interest in that. I couldn't make a game that is any good with just myself and an XBO. I see no way to actually make a game that could make good money, so that is not a selling point to me. Heck, I was once considering making a couple or few very simple Skyrim mods and when I first started using the Creation Kit, it was daunting, and while I think I could make some of the mods I thought of making, it would take time and effort to pull it together and make it work well. It'd take me so much time and effort to make a game from the XBO that is 'meh'. This probably won't be much of a selling point for many.

I'm no future developer either, but I just want to know if this is another "Family Share Plan" promise.
Old 2013-07-24, 20:46   Link #1975
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Speaking with Polygon, Whitten added that self-publishing and Xbox One dev kit functionality won’t be available at launch, but will be added at a later date.
Sound like an afterthought to me.

What's next? Xbone can play PS4 games?
Old 2013-07-24, 20:56   Link #1976
Reality_Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Sound like an afterthought to me.

What's next? Xbone can play PS4 games?
XBox. turn PS4 on

XBox, Browser, find ebay, sell yourself, add high price due to the ''Power of the Cloud''
Old 2013-07-25, 00:37   Link #1977
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Good news overall, but there's still some red-flags.

1. 'Vision'.

Just like Sony's Gaikai vision, this is pretty much "PR" speak for "we're nowhere near ready to be able to do what we're wanting to do, and no promises on actually delivering."

2. 'within first year of launch'

Once again, PR speak for Q2 earliest, and most likely Q3/Q4. This means that whatever infrastructure they're planning for the self-publishing of games... will not be ready for at one whole year. This means that they've only started whatever they're doing either only a few months back... or yesteday.

3. "can be used for development"

There is a world of difference between 'being a dev-kit' and 'can be used for development.' The fact that it's worded this way highly implies that there's some limitation towards what retail XB1s can actually be used as a development platform for XB1 titles. This, together with the 'hints' at the Developer Build conference in regards to some degree of compatibility of Windows apps across all MS products. I'm suspect that self-publishing may only be limited to some tweaked version of WinRT. Would be gladly surprised to be proven wrong though.

And 4th... well, this isn't confirmed, but since GameInformer's leak of this was proven true, it's quite likely that this was supposed to be their Gamescom 'big hurrah' piece is true as well...

For Sony, this was a 5-minute piece in their conference, and nothing more than a reaffirmation of what they've already been doing for the past few years. For MS to peg this as their 'big announcement' doesn't paint a very bright picture for what their line-up is at Gamescom.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if their only announcements are for Fable Online & Crackdown 3.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-25, 00:42   Link #1978
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

^
On the bullshit scale of 1-10 with "Infinite Power of the Cloud" at a 10, How viable is it to have every console double as a dev-kit?
Old 2013-07-25, 00:50   Link #1979
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
^
On the bullshit scale of 1-10 with "Infinite Power of the Cloud" at a 10, How viable is it to have every console double as a dev-kit?
Honestly, I don't know.

Technically speaking, it's possible.

Realistically speaking though, where would that put their existing XB1 dev kit programmes? Does this extend out to non-indies? What would be the difference between the development environments for proper dev kits and retail dev kits? What are the security ramifications of allowing all retail consoles to have a backdoor for development purposes? There's a hundred unanswered questions.

It feels like it would be easier to just sell a separate SKU of 'XB1 : Developer Edition.' Just take the existing dev-kits, make their specs the same as retail version, and maybe sell them at a $100 more or something, like what phone makers are doing.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-25, 00:55   Link #1980
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

I guess it will be how supportive their staffs are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality_Breaker View Post
XBox, Browser, find ebay, sell yourself, add high price due to the ''Power of the Cloud''
Brb going pre-order one.