AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2011-02-21, 14:23   Link #121
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

While I like Haru and all, this game wouldn't even be half as good without how good its male characters are.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-21, 15:29   Link #122
Seitsuki
Onee!

You mean "good" as in (potentially) "utter goddamn #$^&ing assholes"?

All I can say is, this is one of those few series where nearing the finish I was thinking "alright you can stop trying to be clever and pulling out random twists and melodrama and whatnot, just give me an honest straight cliche good end dammit!" Which it kinda did. Eventually. Ah, so moving. Sob.

What I'm kinda unhappy about though is the utter lack of merchandise. I've ordered the VFB but apart from that and some obligatory wall covers/dakimakura there's basically nothing else. Ahh, why do all the good titles miss out while stuff like Bible Black gets so much crap pumped out. It's vexing. Ahh, how annoying. Urgh.
Old 2011-02-22, 00:28   Link #123
dgaaz

Yeah, maybe the lack of merchandise is due to the game not being popular in Japan? Quite sad as this is one of the best if not the best VN I have read so far...

Spoiler for ending:
dgaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-22, 03:30   Link #124
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaaz View Post
Its like getting sent to jail for killing Osama bin Laden
Pretty sure you WOULD be sent to jail for killing Osama bin Laden.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-22, 15:11   Link #125
Seitsuki
Onee!

I think a plausible sort of explanation is something like this:

Spoiler for spoiler tagged in case:

On the other hand, I think it's really sweet how there's no way to mess up your relationship with Haru. It's like you can be enough of an asshole to screw over every heroine in the series except one, the one you truly love. Ahhh, how romantic. It's fate I tell you. *dies happy*
Old 2011-02-22, 16:29   Link #126
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
I think a plausible sort of explanation is something like this:

Spoiler for spoiler tagged in case:

On the other hand, I think it's really sweet how there's no way to mess up your relationship with Haru. It's like you can be enough of an asshole to screw over every heroine in the series except one, the one you truly love. Ahhh, how romantic. It's fate I tell you. *dies happy*
I was actually surprised at that part on how Kyousuke handled the situation without getting Haru involved in the last moments of revenge. Especially what he kept saying afterwords, I kept my face like this ()
Old 2011-02-24, 21:48   Link #127
larethian

Woah, just saw this thread! Sure is nostalgic! Tsk tsk tsk, not capturing the heroines in order is really a big mistake. I disagree with the opinion that it's not a loss, because it really sweetens the last chapter, especially how the other individual routes just reinforce the possibility, in one's mind, of
Spoiler:
, with some foreshadowing trolling and stuff IIRC.

I guess now that the translation is done, more people would be playing this VN? So to anyone who hasn't played this yet, I strongly recommend clearing the route (using a walkthrough) in this order: Tsubaki (ch2) -> Kanon (ch3) -> Mizuha (ch4) -> Haru (ch5)

well, for those who actually ignored Kanon's route due to the comments, just take a closer look that they are really merely complaints about the disjointness with the Maou plotline, which I agree completely. Initially, I found Kanon so annoying that if not for advice from 2ch to clear this in order, I would have completely ignored her. But in the end I thought
Spoiler:
Tsubaki was a good warm-up, the one which elicit the least emotions from me. Mizuha is pure moe with her social ineptness. And of course, there's no need to say more for the main course, Haru.

Quote:
Yeah, maybe the lack of merchandise is due to the game not being popular in Japan? Quite sad as this is one of the best if not the best VN I have read so far...

Spoiler for ending:
well actually, this game was pretty popular. it had good sales rankings and won first place in an award (can't remember which one though) IIRC.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-25, 00:29   Link #128
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Agreed. Part of the reason the final scenes of the game were able to strike so much emotion in me was because I played each route as I went and was able to understand each girl.
Old 2011-02-25, 00:38   Link #129
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
You mean "good" as in (potentially) "utter goddamn #$^&ing assholes"?

All I can say is, this is one of those few series where nearing the finish I was thinking "alright you can stop trying to be clever and pulling out random twists and melodrama and whatnot, just give me an honest straight cliche good end dammit!" Which it kinda did. Eventually. Ah, so moving. Sob.

What I'm kinda unhappy about though is the utter lack of merchandise. I've ordered the VFB but apart from that and some obligatory wall covers/dakimakura there's basically nothing else. Ahh, why do all the good titles miss out while stuff like Bible Black gets so much crap pumped out. It's vexing. Ahh, how annoying. Urgh.
what is VFB? I assume you didn't get the 初回超重量特典版. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't get it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Agreed. Part of the reason the final scenes of the game were able to strike so much emotion in me was because I played each route as I went and was able to understand each girl.
even though part of Mizuha's character development was in chapter 5

EDIT: I looked through the scripts from tlwiki, seems to be pretty high quality albeit vulgar. think I'm going to try playing this VN again with the patch ^^. this is a pretty impressionable VN and as I was reminiscing, I just recalled some weird gags from Haru that really cracked me up. who carries a garbage bag along with them, and tries getting into it if they fall off a high building??

Last edited by larethian; 2011-02-25 at 03:16.
Old 2011-03-02, 03:03   Link #130
Seitsuki
Onee!

It's part of her charm! Y'know, the whole "cloud cuckoolandish obfuscating stupidity" thing. Sure she can be a bit of a crackpot at times but she's really smart and serious when it counts. Not to mention she drops most of that by the end. Sure Mizuha has her moments, like the "well it's hard, you've no redeeming qualities whatsoever!" when trying to compliment Kyousuke but seriously how could you beat the awesome main heroine <33

Oh and by VFB I was referring to the visual fan book. Quite a few still in stock, unlike the YnS one. Sphere needs to publish more ._.

edit: I see no influx, only me and Reckoner atm :P
Old 2011-03-03, 01:15   Link #131
Jubedube

Quote:

Spoiler for ending:
Spoiler:
Old 2011-03-03, 02:22   Link #132
larethian

Spoiler:
Old 2011-03-04, 18:44   Link #133
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for :
Old 2011-03-05, 00:55   Link #134
Gibber

I just pretty much no-lifed this VN and damn, I need to go replay it again.

Skimming some of the posts though, I happened to like all of the other heroine's paths along with Haru's. Mizuha's route did feel less interesting but god, she was so freakin adorable that it doesn't matter.
Gibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-05, 03:08   Link #135
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibber View Post
I just pretty much no-lifed this VN and damn, I need to go replay it again.

Skimming some of the posts though, I happened to like all of the other heroine's paths along with Haru's. Mizuha's route did feel less interesting but god, she was so freakin adorable that it doesn't matter.
what you meant was moe-ness, right?
Old 2011-03-05, 10:47   Link #136
hoarfrost

I just played and frankly don't understand at all why people say that Kanon's route was boring and Shiratori's wasn't. Aside from some nice humour involving Yuki, Shiratori's route was mostly uneventful and seemed artificial with so many flashbacks and time skips.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that Shiratori seemed to me to be a pretty extraneous and unprovocative character. The only relevant plot in her route is related to something that you mostly don't learn about unless you continue on with the main(Haru) route rather than getting involved with her, which leaves it pretty weak as a standalone route.
hoarfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-05, 13:49   Link #137
David Watts
Stay Free

Send a message via MSN to David Watts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Pretty sure you WOULD be sent to jail for killing Osama bin Laden.
Nah you wont. If you somehow managed to kill Osama you'd get a 50 mil reward
Spoiler for next:
Id like to know what that visual book looks like but I cant find any images online...
Old 2011-03-05, 21:05   Link #138
Seitsuki
Onee!

It wasn't exactly expensive (link in case you're interested). Basically it's got a storyline overview with the CGs, a load of original illustrations (which were sweeet <333 ) and staff/seiyuu interviews (walls of text).

Quote:
In fact, I'd go as far as to say that Shiratori seemed to me to be a pretty extraneous and unprovocative character. The only relevant plot in her route is related to something that you mostly don't learn about unless you continue on with the main(Haru) route rather than getting involved with her, which leaves it pretty weak as a standalone route.
Well to be perfectly honest you could say the same for every other route other than the canon route. Against all logic Maou randomly decides to give up his plan and leave you alone, Haru who has loved you for so long just gives up too (you BASTARD) and it's like the entire world was told to screw itself so you could have your storyline with whoever. There's suspension of disbelief, and then there's this ==
Old 2011-03-06, 16:08   Link #139
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Well thing is, the other girl's routes only don't make sense in hindsight. They're almost like an alternate dimension.
Old 2011-03-07, 00:38   Link #140
Seitsuki
Onee!

Which wouldn't *normally* be a problem, but the thing is they have such a great emphasis on Maou and Haru (their chase scene at the start, the constant reference to their rivalry, and him constantly popping up) that for them both to just up and leave with no explaination whatsoever (apart from once "I've got better things to do"... really? Better than your life's ambition?) was really jarring for me. Then again I played thorugh the Haru scenario first so I guess I don't know quite what it woulda been like if you played a side route first.