AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2011-08-05, 01:47   Link #741
MainCharacter
All Evils of the World

That could also be a very positive thing. He's pretty much saying "yes, we know a lot of you really want Umineko", which could very well mean they are looking into it or even already working on it. The fact that they said "we know you want Umineko" as opposed to "we aren't interested in Umineko" is pretty encouraging, actually. He only mentioned it because he was asking about new suggestions, and knew that tons of people would suggest Umineko. Umineko is by no means a new suggestion, so it makes sense that he'd mention it. I see no reason to get pessimistic or depressed over this.

As for working with fan translations, that is to be expected. I never thought they would seriously consider that anyway. He was talking about a different game with that anyway too.
MainCharacter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 13:01   Link #742
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette

He also gave a response to someone requesting 428 that he'd love to do it, but that the amount of text is easily 5 or 6 times what they're usually working with, a lot longer than 999. Umineko probably blows even that out of the water.

It could be solved with Witch Hunt's ready script. He says using fans to translate a game is troublesome, because the people are so separated and the organization would get messy. But it is about a different game, an untranslated one. Maybe they would accept a script that is already fully translated?

He also said that they'd have to pay for the fan translation, and if they had to pay then why not have their own staff do it. I'm under the impression Witch Hunt might be willing give their script for free. Is that right? It does feel a bit wrong if you wouldn't get paid for what is probably the biggest task a localization team has to do, unless their planning an English voice acting as well.

I don't think Aksys buying a ready script would be impossible for them to do. It would save much of their time, even if they have to get an editor go through it too.

Add to that what MainCharacter said, I'm still positive about this. Maybe with the new releases coming, they'll localize it for at least one of the platforms.
Bluemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 19:39   Link #743
Solachinx
is a myth

Hmm, essentially, he seems to be saying "Yes, we all know that you guys want Umineko and other series I can't remember to be translated. Are there any suggestions outside of those two?" He's not necessarily discounting it, he's just saying he wants a wider selection of suggestions. Then, the company will likely choose based on things like marketability, cost, predicted number of purchases, etc. If they don't translate it, there are always other companies, or there's always the chance that something else will develop somewhere along the road.
Old 2011-08-05, 21:02   Link #744
Sheep_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemail View Post
He also gave a response to someone requesting 428 that he'd love to do it, but that the amount of text is easily 5 or 6 times what they're usually working with, a lot longer than 999. Umineko probably blows even that out of the water.
Didn't someone have a page count for how long each ep of Umineko was if it was turned in to book form? I mean last time I looked at it each eps was at least 400 pages worth of text.

on another note I would kill to have 428 translated if only to see the Canaan side story translated. Shame that it's a heck of a lot of work to translate it seeing how long the game is.
Old 2011-08-05, 21:27   Link #745
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep_ View Post
Didn't someone have a page count for how long each ep of Umineko was if it was turned in to book form? I mean last time I looked at it each eps was at least 400 pages worth of text.
Yeah, somebody did and I was searching for it (though the search function on this site sucks)...it was something along the range of Harry Potter, which is I think something about 1 million words.
The average rate for a translation is about $0.10 to $0.15 per word (if you charge per-word rate), so even if you'd discount the company or get them to rip off some pure suckers for translating at a miserable rate (which I myself experienced), you'd still end up with a good maybe 50 grand for all novels combined.

And I don't think it's that easy as just taking a translation that has been done...
I don't know how that works legally, but I wouldn't do it anyway if I was Witch Hunt, because that would be like working for free.
And anyway it would be another thing to discuss with people like Alchemist again, who would need to approve of the translation.
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 22:36   Link #746
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
I counted up the sizes (Eps 1-7 and the translated parts of Ep 8) as being around 6 megabytes. For scale, War and Peace is about 3.2 megabytes (Project Gutenburg version).
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-06, 01:07   Link #747
haguruma

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
I counted up the sizes (Eps 1-7 and the translated parts of Ep 8) as being around 6 megabytes. For scale, War and Peace is about 3.2 megabytes (Project Gutenburg version).
Well, War and Peace has around 580.000 words as it appears. That would make between 700 and 900.000 words for Umineko quite reasonable, though it's of course a question of how which language translates into how many words.

It's like buying a series of about 5-10 normal sized novels without knowing if they'd sell at all. Even if they just started out with releasing Rondo, it'd still be half the amount and therefore too much to take a risk. Though maybe it's a risk worth taking...who knows, people read novels on their Iphones nowadays too

Maybe they could be convinced to try out releasing the first PSP version. That would just be about 150-200.000 words, which is much more reasonable.
Old 2011-11-11, 19:58   Link #748
dgfll

Spoiler for Spoilers:
dgfll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-12, 04:38   Link #749
haguruma

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfll View Post
Spoiler for Spoilers:
If it is the same as the new one in the manga version of EP3 it'd be:
Spoiler:

Can anybody confirm this?
Old 2011-12-04, 20:20   Link #750
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Just finsihed the game yesterday! Wow that was really fun! Me and my friend split the voices reading the script out loud. I can not even believe that they made an anime of these! It took us probably 90 hours give or take!

Does anybody know what the secret is in the CG image options it is the last one.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-26, 03:41   Link #751
Revelation
lorem ipsum dolor sit ame
*Artist

Just another random question. For those of you who own this game, are the end credit sequences for Episode 1 and 2 altered in any way from the original? Or are they kept as the same? I mean mostly in the visual sense.
Old 2012-01-16, 04:40   Link #752
gn_X00

Are there any CG of Umineko PS3?
I try to find them in internet, but it's quite hard to find them...
Old 2012-01-16, 12:14   Link #753
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gn_X00 View Post
Are there any CG of Umineko PS3?
I try to find them in internet, but it's quite hard to find them...
Try looking for "static images."

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 20:57   Link #754
gn_X00

thanks. found them