Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-20, 19:43   Link #341
Squarecrow
Supreme Ruler of Crowatia

Oh god, the Madoka Magica debates. *shudders*

Those were the first serious discussions I posted in and for not praising the show like it's the best thing since sliced bread and for not condemning QB to Hell from the get go I got negrepped. Apparently everything Urobutcher touches is amazing and to disagree means you are a horrible person with no taste in anime. After that I shied away from any controversial subject for quite awhile. The next and last time I posted on a controversial subject, again on the minority side, I got negrep bombed. They took away one of my pretty green boxes but I claimed it back in due time.

Can't say I'm sorry to see it gone. The bars had no value I could see (though getting a posrep could be nice). I saw too many posters with massive green bars that were either jerks or whose posts were no better than anyone else's.

I do like the neutral/pointless/signed post comments idea. Also would not be opposed to private likes/dislikes that had no point system attached. If a point system were every to be brought back I think having just positive would be good and everyone would only get 1 rep power regardless of how many points they had. Reaching 1500 (or whatever the old cap was) would take quite some time.
Old 2012-12-20, 21:23   Link #342
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Hmm, I'm just speculating.

Triple R's system is good, though I don't think newly created accounts should immediately have the rep ability, since that's pretty easy to abuse. That's one thing the current system has right. Still, we shouldn't be able to base a system on it being unchecked.

Personally, I do think more rep should equal more rep power but the difference should be much smaller and gradual.

Instead you should have to make decisions! Greatly reduce the numbers of reps you can give initially and you may not target any one more than once a month. It was too easy to spam negs on someone.

Every time you level up a bar, you should be able to put points in 1 of 4 things:
+0.4% Attack (rep power)
+0.5% defense (you lose less rep)
-0.25% cooldown (you can give more rep)
+0.1% Exp (Each rep you get gains more experience points)

- Achievements. If you get negged 5 times in a row, you should get an achievement and for other random things.

In addition, all reps and negs decay over time, but no more than to 25% of their original value.

Oh wait, this isn't an MMO; just forget it. Though if you made it a boring pointless grind, maybe people wouldn't care.

^ If you haven't noted yet, I am not serious. But I'd play this over many other things.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-12-21, 01:03   Link #343
EroKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I have my own idea for a revised rep system, if the AS Moderating staff ever decides to go back to that. I'm just throwing it out there to see what people think about it.

1) Everybody starts with 10 rep points, given automatically upon registering as a member and/or already being a member when the switchover to the new rep system happens.

2) Each posrep, no matter who it's from, counts for 2 rep points.

3) Each negrep, no matter who it's from, counts for -1 rep point.

4) A green block represents 50 rep points (once you hit 51 points or more, you get a 2nd block). 11 green blocks would hence indicate 550 rep points.

5) In every other way, the new system would be the same as the old.
This would be nice. 2 changes that I would like to it would be calling them cookies instead of rep points and it not going below 0 since well negative cookies just sounds weird
Many members put a lot of hard work in some of those avatar/sig requests and quality posts which deserve a bit of incentive imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Oh wait, this isn't an MMO; just forget it.
Life itself is the biggest game Wing-kun where you must learn to improve your defenses (at work) and offenses in bed or it's game over
Old 2012-12-21, 01:10   Link #344
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeal000 View Post
U just don't give up, do you? You've been proposing and debating, proposing and debating this since it was announced, even made a new thread for the post counts proposal. My feedback right now is that you should take it easy, nothing is gonna change for the moment, no matter how much you insist, the mods already said that. It's good that you're active, but really, is this worth that much time and thought??
C'mon man, it's too hard to click on someone's name to msg them via PM or VM yet typing up countless essays on why we should keep the old system (or a tweaked version) is fine!
Old 2012-12-21, 02:53   Link #345
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

When brainstorming, all ideas are put on the white board. Wait until the meeting is over to laugh at most of the suggestions.

Seriously, since they haven't closed the thread, I'll assume they're at least making notes and one or two things might sound interesting. The real question is how much work would a good idea take to implement (how existing code/config can be reused, etc). You really don't want overly customized a package because every time there's an update you have to review any customizations for potential conflicts.
Old 2012-12-21, 02:57   Link #346
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

My idea would be to just take away the quantitative aspect (the points, the dots). Maybe the anonymity as well.
Old 2012-12-21, 03:04   Link #347
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
When brainstorming, all ideas are put on the white board. Wait until the meeting is over to laugh at most of the suggestions.

Seriously, since they haven't closed the thread, I'll assume they're at least making notes and one or two things might sound interesting. The real question is how much work would a good idea take to implement (how existing code/config can be reused, etc). You really don't want overly customized a package because every time there's an update you have to review any customizations for potential conflicts.
Closed or open, it doesn't matter. We take notes regardless. However I do think that this one will be closed soon, and we'll probably open a new thread so that discussion is more focused.
Old 2012-12-21, 05:40   Link #348
HasuMasu
*Artist

I feel like I had a lot to say while reading this reading, but for the life of me nothing comes to mind right now.

My cookies ended at 670 cookies, the last one I got was a positive rep with no comment from the Naruto sub-forums.

I feel like I should say more about this, it feels like a funeral after all...but I guess I can see the up and down of this.

So long, cookie system. Gone but not forgoten.

On another note, I dread the return of the brutally honest Da_Box...without fear of anti-cookies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Hmm, I'm just speculating.
*snip*
This is literally the best idea ever.
Old 2012-12-21, 06:06   Link #349
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I missed the pill....

I thing why most posters are neg rep even there post are good because

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Posrep goes to posts that are interesting ( serious or not)..

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2012-12-21 at 16:41.
Old 2012-12-21, 13:30   Link #350
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeal000 View Post
Despite what I said earlier, I like both triple r's and archon wing's latest ideas. They both get a thumbs up from me
That does not change my opinion on how they (especially RRR) give this too much attention, but still...
Well, you're replying, so it's worth posting.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-12-22, 15:21   Link #351
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Sure will miss the reputation system even though I had a lot more bad rep than good
Old 2012-12-22, 15:54   Link #352
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

On a side note, it's not a bad way to end the Rep system. As for the new post feedback system I'd suggest a "+/-1" on the said post and make it viewable by everyone. That way it can prevent the negative feedbacks such as calling names and such while the other users could see if the respective post is good or bad without posting only to say "I agree" or "Thank you".
Old 2012-12-22, 18:08   Link #353
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

stop it already with the terrible reputation replacement ideas, aaaaaaa, you're making my hair turn gray at the mature age of 26

debating is about trying to convince other people to share or at least understand your opinion, it's not a goddamned election and adding voting to it is a stupid idea
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2012-12-22, 19:14   Link #354
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
stop it already with the terrible reputation replacement ideas, aaaaaaa, you're making my hair turn gray at the mature age of 26

debating is about trying to convince other people to share or at least understand your opinion, it's not a goddamned election and adding voting to it is a stupid idea
Then you have obviously missed reading the opening post

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
How can I give my feedback about this change? While the decision to retire the current system is final, the staff are open to a discussion that may impact the future direction for possible new feedback systems that could be developed. You may leave your comments in this thread (yes, this one).
Agreeing to someone's suggestion does not actually mean that this has turned into an election but rather support of someone's idea of a new feedback system.
Old 2012-12-22, 20:04   Link #355
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
While we're at it, can we lose the infraction yellow dots too, seeing a list of 2 year expired infractions from Xris makes me 'grrr', and the green dots and comments would soothe my pain and make me happy again and then I'm all lovely on the boards

Scrap one system, scrap everything!

Syn had a point, the dots (to some degree) gave us info about the users credibility and reasoning behind their posts (I speak for the GC section only)
I dunno how it was abused in anime related war debates where people only used them as weapons for the 'team' they supported or were against (*coughcodegeasscough*)

To see it gone will make it harder to approach/judge a new person ideas or opinions not knowing if they write to deliberately be annoying, (all the time) or if they're misinformed or if they're usually sound but for some topics are all over the place.
(In reverse, if we've not been here in over 6 months, it helped to see who's been making waves and how)

I guess we'll have to play it by ear then, but I'll miss my babies, worked hard for them against the flaming 'fansubbing' forums where red was the colour of the year, lol
(They also brought me and Ledgem together as I saw them together with his posts and thought 'lemme challenge this bastard')
Nothing's been the same every since ~ <3

Ah well, out with the old...

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2012-12-22 at 20:17.
Old 2012-12-22, 20:20   Link #356
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I won't really miss it tbh. Generally, I tag all of my rep(when I actually give any out) with my username, regardless of whether it's pos or neg. Most of the pos rep I've got comes w/o any comments, but all the negative ones do have a comment; and when I get a neg rep for just stating my opinion(not in any condescending manner), it's kind of annoying, even though rep is relatively pointless.

Old 2012-12-22, 21:59   Link #357
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I won't really miss it tbh. Generally, I tag all of my rep(when I actually give any out) with my username, regardless of whether it's pos or neg. Most of the pos rep I've got comes w/o any comments, but all the negative ones do have a comment; and when I get a neg rep for just stating my opinion(not in any condescending manner), it's kind of annoying, even though rep is relatively pointless.
Although some people tends to abuse the Rep system to make oneself or their friends have a more superior Rep, which is why the staffs took the system down in the first place.
Old 2012-12-22, 21:59   Link #358
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Two days to go and its bye bye....
Old 2012-12-22, 23:33   Link #359
Krono

Finally getting around to responding...

On the reputation system being retired. I think it's kind of a pity, though it doesn't really impact me personally much. It was nice seeing my reputation slowly creep up, but it being gone won't change the way I post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
The problem that I have with a "thanks" system (that a few have mentioned) is that it seems to me to just encourage cliques and taking sides. Like let's say you're having a debate about a controversial anime (would totally never happen, I know...). I can just see someone making a "pro" post and having the usual crowd of "pro" supporters like/"thank" their post, and then someone else make an "anti" post and having the usual crowd of "anti" supporters like/"thank" their post. It's like an odd way of giving weight to someone else's argument, and it doesn't really have any correlation whatsoever to whether someone actually did something praiseworthy. It just means, "I agree with you and I want to take a stand".

In the end, I think you'd just be trading one problem for another.
I do not think a "thanks" system of some sort would be a problem. Sure there would be debates where it would end up meaning "I agree with you and I want to take a stand". That's not a problem, it's pretty much the equivalent of standing there nodding your head. People can do that by making a short post. Which would just clutter things, or draw them into the argument since they're now speaking up and have a post than can be quoted instead of just standing there nodding their head. I've never seen a post being thanked serve as fuel for an argument.

Really, what it comes down to is what do you want out of some sort of approval/disapproval system?

Disapproval options are inevitably going to be abused. I don't think I've ever not seen them abused somehow. Yeah, they can be useful for helping to ID trolls, but the abuse renders it more or less useless. I'm sure I don't need to get into ways disapproval/down voting/negative repping can be absued. That leaves pretty much just the approval half of the system.

Do you want a lightweight means of providing positive feedback out of it? A like/thank system would be a quick and easy means of letting someone know that you agreed with/appreciated/found their post helpful. Posters know when they're appreciated, and that's the end of it. It'd be pretty easy to track how many times they got liked/thanked if you want to use that as a basis for something else.

Do you want a means of identifying those who actively contribute more to the forum? You'd retain the positive aspects of the system, wherein people that post constructively, post fanfics, fan art, avatars, sigs, etc, see their reputation go up from people's feedback. Yeah, you'd get cases where it was more a matter of a popular poster getting a bunch of rep, or people finding ways to abuse the system to get rep, but personally I don't consider it that big a deal.

Do you want it as a means of identifying troll, flamers, and other unhelpful posters? You're probably not going to get this one. As said before, a disapproval side of the system would just be abused. In theory, their reputation wouldn't rise as fast as constructive and helpful posters. In practice, some posters won't have their reputation rise quickly regardless of what they post, even if nothing is wrong with it. Furthermore trolls would be the group most inclined to abuse ways to raise their reputation. You could somewhat offset this by having moderations for trolling or flaming reduce reputation, but it's an imperfect solution for the desired goal.

Overall I'd say the best option is "lightweight means of providing positive feedback". I've found like/thanks systems nice on other forums for the reasons I listed, and is probably one of the better means of letting someone know their post is appreciated without cluttering things up.
Old 2012-12-22, 23:37   Link #360
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

The troll posts can usually be ignored. Trolls usually lose interest if they aren't responded to (and people responding can be reminded via pm to ignore the trolls), and posts that obviously violate forum rules are reported. Under a thanks system, we'd be okay if more people were to know how to handle problem members. (Perhaps a small section on the forum FAQ providing some tips on handling trolls would be nice!)

Tags
forum, reputation