AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

View Poll Results: Hayate no Gotoku OVA Rating
Perfect 10 14 26.42%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 11 20.75%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 16.98%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 22.64%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 7.55%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 3.77%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.89%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-11, 11:13   Link #21
frustra
Team M.Y.T.Hi.C.

i finally saw this subbed, and I love the fact that the OVA managed to stay true to the essence of Hayate S1.

But as previously mentioned by Mentar, having read the manga, they better explain some of the stuff that they included here that were not introduced in season 1. Some holes need to be filled in, and I do hope JC Staff does not ignore those details.

And as usual, Hina is still <3.
Old 2009-03-11, 12:11   Link #22
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
i´m deeply disappointed, apparently it seems that their ain´t gonna be a 2nd TV season, just this OVA? please tell me i´m WRONG lol
Old 2009-03-11, 12:16   Link #23
Midonin
Last Engage

There will be a second season. Nothing a quick trip to the show's website couldn't confirm.
Old 2009-03-11, 13:31   Link #24
neothe0ne

Quote:
Overdramatized and exaggerated art rant, after this no one else need complain because I'm covering for all of you naysayers
The only thing that really screamed "unacceptable" to me was Isumi's face - it was seriously off for the entire OVA imo. But hey, Sorrow-K picked up that the art in general was different; and it is my opinion that the new art is inferior, but _most_ characters look the same (screenshot comparisons will tell you the hair colors are more saturated in J.C.STAFF"s and seem to lack as many strand details as SynergySP had though).

I suppose you could chalk up my huge disappointment to watching Zettai Karen Children weekly? I know that different staff were behind HnG! and ZTC, at least in the art department, but I still can't help shaking the feeling that HnG!! 2nd season's art is not SynergySP.

But again, I found the OVA relatively boring, which has nothing to do with the art - and that is something that more people seem inclined to agree with than the art issue.
Old 2009-03-11, 16:54   Link #25
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I never really thought about it before, but... As far as harem leads go, Hayate really attracts flat chests, doesn't he? Who does he have that's even average? Maria and Sakuya? But they're not properly in the harem at all.

Still, Maria does look great in a swimsuit.
Old 2009-03-11, 17:50   Link #26
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
I wonder if I am the only one who has read the Hayate manga and still likes the anime rendition of it? I mean, the anime makes me crack up like the manga does, and thats what counts to me.

kyaa hinagiku. Its funny how she is shamelessly exploited by the animators (and narrator) in various events because she is the fan favorite of the series by a pretty decent margin.

I laughed pretty hard at this....

Spoiler:

edit
Spoiler for Just incase, refrencing manga:

Last edited by alu546; 2009-03-11 at 21:57.
Old 2009-03-11, 21:26   Link #27
Traece
:cool:

Hehe. I was very glad to see this OVA on the list today, especially since I've recently been feeling the need to see Hayate as the second season is quickly closing in on us all.

To me, this was absolutely in the normal Hayate spirit. In fact, they've done a swimsuit episode in the past, but that one also had a giant robot in it...

As always, it was fantastic to see Hinagiku in the OVA, and in such detail no less. <3 Hayate is so lucky and I don't think he even knows it.

Edit: Also because I'm excited... Cheers to Hayate no Gotoku Season 2! It's starting fantastically. I'm awaiting the movement of the Hayate no Gotoku sub-forum to the "OMGAWESOME" area of Animesuki as Season 2 runs us over with its PWNT Truck.
Old 2009-03-11, 21:50   Link #28
VRMN
Dangoism

Send a message via AIM to VRMN
Quote:
Originally Posted by alu546 View Post
I wonder if I am the only one who has read the Hayate manga and still likes the anime rendition of it? I mean, the anime makes me crack up like the manga does, and thats what counts to me.
Not at all. I love both the manga and the anime. I actually like that the anime is different; it gives it a slightly different vibe, but I find it to be just as hilarious and in-character as the manga. As for this OVA, while it wasn't the best episode of the anime ever, it was a good refresher for the cast (<3 Hina-chan) and a hint at what's to come.

I also have little complaint about the new art style. It works for me, and I might actually prefer the brighter, more colorful look given more time.
Old 2009-03-11, 23:12   Link #29
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Fanservice! Hina = Love!

Really disappointed that i know Hayate wont end up with her, but i prefer when anime stick to the original material over pleasing fans.
Old 2009-03-12, 01:25   Link #30
alu546
y prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
Fanservice! Hina = Love!

Really disappointed that i know Hayate wont end up with her, but i prefer when anime stick to the original material over pleasing fans.
I dont get where your coming from.(as far as the manga goes) but ill leave it that, i dont wnat to spoil to much
Old 2009-03-12, 12:06   Link #31
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
Fanservice! Hina = Love!

This isn't the sort of anime where the main character falls for the girl they spend the most time with. Nagi is a little young for Hayate.

Hina has a much better chance than you think considering that there's three girls his age that he's likely to end up with. A maid, a student, and an old friend.
Old 2009-03-12, 15:23   Link #32
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Not much to say animation quality was nice and i like how they ignored what time of year it was and went right for the service episodes of course my favorite part of the episode was Hina long Hina oh how i missed her. Nice to have some Hayate back in the house.
Old 2009-03-12, 20:54   Link #33
orangejuicetang

Ah, I just started watching this, and felt that the animation was a little different from S1, but then I remembered that it was a change in studio. Not bad, just different. I loled at the "service, service, service" thing at the beginning of the episode. And something that's been bugging me, is Nagi reading that book upside at around 7:05?

Edit:
Actually, they just answered my question. Guess I should finish the whole episode first.

Edit 2:
Correct me if I'm wrong, since I never finished the first season of the anime, but did Hina get wooden Masumane and was the sister introduced by the end of the first season?

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.

Last edited by orangejuicetang; 2009-03-12 at 21:11.
Old 2009-03-12, 22:15   Link #34
alu546
y prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
Ah, I just started watching this, and felt that the animation was a little different from S1, but then I remembered that it was a change in studio. Not bad, just different. I loled at the "service, service, service" thing at the beginning of the episode. And something that's been bugging me, is Nagi reading that book upside at around 7:05?

Edit:
Actually, they just answered my question. Guess I should finish the whole episode first.

Edit 2:
Correct me if I'm wrong, since I never finished the first season of the anime, but did Hina get wooden Masumane and was the sister introduced by the end of the first season?
No, this episode was just hints of what is to come, I wouldnt be to shocked if it ended up that this was actually an epiloogue episode to the season, or a side story during the middle of it as far as timeline is concerned.

But you are right that those things werent introduced into the anime previously.
Old 2009-03-15, 21:59   Link #35
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Σ(;゚Д゚) AnnH?! What happened to the art?!

*goes to wiki*

Ahh! The studio changed?! JC... Staff... you say?!
(´・ω・`)
For better or for worse...?
For one thing, perhaps the material in the anime will be more loyal to the manga this time, with no... what's her name, the snake person and that butler who changed size. And perhaps Ayumu-chan won't be reduced to just being a glutton who appears once in an episode eating food (appearing every episode is good, yes, but for some reason...)... (#-_-)
On the other hand... Well, the art clearly changed for the worse... The chances of them (JC) going on the "ero ero fanservice banzai" mode is...? Time will tell...
Haa... Another Kugimiya anime falls into JC Staff's hands...(゚c_、゚ )

As for the episode...
Futsuu... (SZS-like)
The usual chaos and not so amazing but OK gags and such. A preview for the stuff to come (art-wise). Some new characters suddenly appeared out of nowhere though... (゚Д゚)
I wonder if it's just me but the breasts felt abnormally big at times this episode... ( ゚∀。)

Uu... Listening to Kugimiya when tired is too stressing...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2009-03-16, 06:23   Link #36
Pachael
原作通り

Actually - SynergySP has taken a few liberties with ZKC: The anime is toned down from the manga's occasionally violent and dark parts, and it skips all over the place in terms of manga chapters. So the issue of 'jumping around' and 'not true to the manga' should also apply for them.

Toradora (and Honey and Clover II) had the great benefit of the agreement with the original creator to end the series at around the same time so that the anime can get proper (and true to the original work) closure. So that works. Plotwise it's much harder to plan when you know the series will be still going.

As for 'true to the manga', I'd be happy enough if the series gave me as many laughs as S1. This OVA no exception, and I thought it was fine.
Old 2009-03-16, 07:10   Link #37
delacroix01
Whatever

Quote:
Actually - SynergySP has taken a few liberties with ZKC: The anime is toned down from the manga's occasionally violent and dark parts, and it skips all over the place in terms of manga chapters. So the issue of 'jumping around' and 'not true to the manga' should also apply for them.
Well, but they managed to make me laugh a lot. And I don't think JC Staff will follow Hayate manga. I've read it up to 215, and I can tell that the OVA is a filler. The events in the OVA is not related to the manga. They took only a scene from 192, and modified it.
Old 2009-03-16, 07:16   Link #38
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by delacroix01 View Post
I've read it up to 215, and I can tell that the OVA is a filler. The events in the OVA is not related to the manga. They took only a scene from 192, and modified it.
Well no duh, and the episode even states clearly

For the sake of...

Although the art is pretty bad compared to when SynergySP was in charge. Seems like JCStaff used their B team for this ova.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2009-03-16, 09:58   Link #39
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachael View Post
The anime is toned down from the manga's occasionally violent and dark parts, and it skips all over the place in terms of manga chapters. So the issue of 'jumping around' and 'not true to the manga' should also apply for them.
Though if I remember correctly, the 2nd season of Hayate will air at night this time and not during the day?
So they can more freely show those "violent and dark" things this season, I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delacroix01 View Post
And I don't think JC Staff will follow Hayate manga. I've read it up to 215, and I can tell that the OVA is a filler. The events in the OVA is not related to the manga. They took only a scene from 192, and modified it.
It's just an OVA... It's too early to tell what the TV series will do.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2009-03-16, 20:25   Link #40
Raiga
tl;dr

Finished the first season today and watched this right after. I guess that made the art style changes stand out a bit more. XD

Well, better than what happened to Minami-ke IMO (only other series I've seen that switched studios between seasons). I kinda miss the rather looser, more exaggerated style for the action scenes though, and Nagi getting angry doesn't seem right without the background turning red and her eyes becoming demonic and crazy comedic violence and whatnot... just seems some of the wackiness of S1 that I loved so much has gone or been toned down. Well, we'll see once S2 airs.

As I said, I can't really complain too much, since the studio transition was still impressively smooth. Although Sakuya's face... it did look weird, I'm not gonna lie...

But, you know, for an anime original fanservice OVA I got about what I expected, and it still made me laugh. Always glad to see more HnG. Looking forward to the second season!