AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-05-04, 22:04   Link #221
winkel

I don't think anyone in this thread is making comparisons out of vitriol or spite, but rather with objective impressions on the different series and logical, evenhanded conclusions as to why A-Channel is superior.
winkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 23:02   Link #222
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

^Vapid is fine and even understandable, but 'obnoxious' is hardly an objective assessment, lol.

Anyway, carry on. Moe moe kyun.
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-05, 12:33   Link #223
bokchoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Not at all. When and what was the reference?
Episode one, right after Tooru finds Yuuko and Run in a compromising position

-Tsumugi Kotobuki (K-On! Episode 7)

bokchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-05, 12:34   Link #224
bokchoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Maybe you knew this already, but they are both played by the same voice actress, Fukuhara Kaori:

I think she is doing a very nice job. This is the most I have ever enjoyed her work.
Yes I knew, and also Yuuko is voiced by Mugi from K-ON! which was also one of the reasons I wanted to watch A channel

-Tsumugi Kotobuki (K-On! Episode 7)

bokchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-05, 14:03   Link #225
Midonin
Last Engage

Spoiler for A Channel 05 - A Chafe:
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-06, 11:50   Link #226
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

A surprisingly restrained episode, have to admit I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous ones. Looks like next week is back to norm though.
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-06, 13:09   Link #227
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for ep 5:
Old 2011-05-06, 13:21   Link #228
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
"Our tan lines will join our hearts together"

Godtier lyrics.
Old 2011-05-06, 13:35   Link #229
Midonin
Last Engage

There's probably enough suggestive material in one of these songs (though "summer dream syndrome" and "Mermaid Sisters" are quite standout) for a nice batch of doujins. And since the ones singing them are not the voice actors, but the characters. The mind, it goes places. And goes and goes and goes.
Old 2011-05-06, 13:44   Link #230
Seihai
スマイリウム

I can't get enough of Yuuko, episode 5 is one of the best so far for me. Yuuko should have chosen the first swimsuit she showed to Nagi though, it looked more elegant.
Old 2011-05-06, 14:58   Link #231
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I think this show is settling into something that is not remarkable, but still enjoyable every week, especially for its small touches.

Kotobuki Minako is really suiting her voice, weird accent and all, to the character of Yuuko. And she is the best singer of the group so far, for sure. Fukuhara Kaori is really Run, fresh and loopy. Newcomer Uchiyama Yumi is doing a creditable job as Nagi. And Yuuki Aoi always has those little touches, those little turns in her voice that give life to Tooru.

@Midonin -- I believe they are at the beach by Enoshima island, which is part of Fujisawa city. They took the cute little Enoshima Electric Railway that runs between Fujisawa and Kamakura via Enoshima.

Enoshima is featured even more prominently in Uta Kata , which is a neglected but enjoyable moe supernatural mystery show from 2004, directed by Keiji Gotou (Kiddy Grade). Here are a couple of websites showing pics of the "sacred places" from Uta Kata in the anime and in real life. Uta Kata was one of the shows that first got me interested in anime.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-06, 17:19   Link #232
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
I think this show is settling into something that is not remarkable, but still enjoyable every week, especially for its small touches.
I'd agree it's so not far remarkable, but the characters and interactions, animation, and music still make the show something enjoyable to watch, though it ussually has a few good funny moments each episode too.

Also I agree Vanish Yuuko did look better in a few of the other swimsuits she tried . And Her dream was amusing .

Also the ED is starting to grow on me I didn't really like it that much at the start, but now I actually like it .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-06, 18:54   Link #233
sikvod00

Quote:
Kotobuki Minako is really suiting her voice, weird accent and all, to the character of Yuuko. And she is the best singer of the group so far, for sure. Fukuhara Kaori is really Run, fresh and loopy. Newcomer Uchiyama Yumi is doing a creditable job as Nagi. And Yuuki Aoi always has those little touches, those little turns in her voice that give life to Tooru.
I absolutely adore Yuuko (my fav. character) thanks to the lovely Kotobuki Minako. I've enjoyed her voice acting ever since I first heard it in Umi Monogatari: Anata ga Ite Kureta Koto. That "weird accent" she gives Yuuko (according to myanimelist it's a Kansai dialect) just adds to the girls' sweet and slightly ditzy disposition. Her pronunciations just make me all warm and fuzzy inside. =D It's actually funny: despite the comparatively cartoonish character designs in this series, Yuuko is one of the most attractive females this season for me.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-06, 19:47   Link #234
Midonin
Last Engage

What were those things Tooru's class had under their left arm while they were swimming? Everyone had it, and it must be something the school implemented, but I have no idea what it is. I've never even seen it in other shows.
Old 2011-05-06, 20:33   Link #235
Silverwyrm

I was relieved they didn't have the obligatory "someone shows up in a school swimsuit"

EDIT: I know it has schoolgirls etc. but I don't see how this is really compared to to Nichijou. This is a mainly sol with some comedy about some gal friends. Nichijou is a straight comedy with little focus on characters and development and isn't even always focusing on those schoolgirls, and never their relationships with each other. The two just don't compare they're totally different shows.
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-06, 20:34   Link #236
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
What were those things Tooru's class had under their left arm while they were swimming? Everyone had it, and it must be something the school implemented, but I have no idea what it is. I've never even seen it in other shows.
I assumed nametag or something but... good question. I honestly have no clue. For that matter, Tooru didn't have one.
Old 2011-05-06, 21:00   Link #237
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

great episode Tooru was so cute hiding under the blankets
Old 2011-05-06, 21:07   Link #238
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

I liked the real-world backgrounds they used here. Is Studio Gokumi perhaps based in Kanagawa? (In which case using these images is equivalent to Kyoto Animation's frequent use of Kansai landmarks.)

Aoi Yuuki may have become famous for her deadpan snarker delivery, but who else loves her frightened stammering?

People have often been comparing Yuuko to Mio Akiyama. She reminds me more of Miyuki in Lucky Star in that she's a lot more upbeat yet still modest.

One more seiyuu note--in Chu-Bra, Minako Kotobuki actually played a girl with Tooru's physique.
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-06, 22:10   Link #239
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
I absolutely adore Yuuko (my fav. character) thanks to the lovely Kotobuki Minako. I've enjoyed her voice acting ever since I first heard it in Umi Monogatari: Anata ga Ite Kureta Koto. That "weird accent" she gives Yuuko (according to myanimelist it's a Kansai dialect) just adds to the girls' sweet and slightly ditzy disposition. Her pronunciations just make me all warm and fuzzy inside. =D It's actually funny: despite the comparatively cartoonish character designs in this series, Yuuko is one of the most attractive females this season for me.
Mina-chan is from Kobe, which is in the Kansai, but apparently her accent here is not real Kansai dialect, but the Tokyo comic version of it. That may be why it seems so weird. I get the feeling she is intentionally making it sound rather precious. Which makes it funnier and more endearing, somehow.

Personally, I've only recently come to like her work. I specifically did not like it in Umi Monogatari, and not much even in K-On. But I thought she was really good in Hyakka Ryouran and in Zakuro.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 15:11   Link #240
Sol Falling

I'm enjoying the manga for this one...and so decided to pick up the anime as well (despite a wealth of other shows which might seem to have a higher claim on worthiness in scope or pedigree this season). So far, it's at least generally managed to sustain my interest in the same way the manga did, and maintains a moderate level of consistent enjoyability.

I gotta admit, I'm somewhat feeling the limits of this adaptation though. Episode 3 was brilliantly laugh out loud funny, but the humour in 4 and 5 mostly comes off as stilted and slow, so that watching them feels like little more than an exercise in appreciating the moe character designs, voice and animation. And essentially, the fluctuations in the value of the core content (thus far) seem to come straight down to the source material--when they've got good gags, as in episode 3, this show shines, but with vapid or mediocre material as in these two previous episodes the stiltedness just comes across even more clearly.

Much as I'm personally willing to overlook the slow patches and stick with it, this comes across as a poor proposition for a neutral evaluator. I think it is somewhat unfortunate that this show will not have much mainstream appeal after all. But, well, I guess that's just how it is sometimes. At the very least, I myself will definitely enjoy this as I'm determined to.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, manga time kirara, school life, seinen, slice of life