AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-12, 22:32   Link #1
solomon

Heavy Metal L-Gaim

Hey there, toonsters (or in this case animeisters) anyways it's time for L-Gaim. I'm going through it right now and like tomino's 80s works, it's a blast (even though im only a few eps in). If we wanted to use an old analogy, if Gundam was Star Trek then this is Tomino's Star Wars. Theres more comedy here then, well any of his 80s stuff (save for maybe ZZ, which i havent seen) and the design work is much more elegant and extravagant (which i enjoy acutally). Anyone already seen/seeing it? Comments?
Old 2006-10-12, 22:38   Link #2
aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
and the design work is much more elegant and extravagant (which i enjoy acutally). Anyone already seen/seeing it? Comments?
Definitely due to Mamoru Nagano working on the show.

Haven't seen the show unfortunately but I've always loved the designs. I'm pretty 50/50 with Tomino but from what I've seen and read this did seem like one of his stronger efforts from that decade.
Old 2006-10-14, 03:25   Link #3
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
dareka senaka daitettekure
hitori kiri ja kanashisugiru kara
hito ga miteru yume no you sa
tashika na mono ga nanimo nai ne
doushite boku wa koko ni Tell me why!

I have the whole thing on DVD and am on episode 11 where its kind of still silly like ZZ Gundam but should take off soon. I find a lot of series are goofy antics until all the players are introduced, THEN they turn serious and the writing gets better.
Old 2006-10-14, 04:04   Link #4
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

the first season is definately silly like ZZgundam, but the second does indeed take a more serious note. this show is worth watching if your a mech fan. the OVA series is actually very good too, dont miss it.

overall this series is far better than its contemporary shows like Layzner and dunbine.
Old 2006-10-16, 00:11   Link #5
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
overall this series is far better than its contemporary shows like Layzner and dunbine.
Is that so? I didnt see either of those, even though they look good. Dunbine got good press but Layzner was cut early due to sponsor cuts so i hear the ending was cluttered and rushed..
Old 2006-10-16, 02:05   Link #6
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Is that so? I didnt see either of those, even though they look good. Dunbine got good press but Layzner was cut early due to sponsor cuts so i hear the ending was cluttered and rushed..
Dunbine is a good show, its just the ending could have been done a little better, and been rushed a lot less. Here's what I think.

MASSIVE SPOILERS

Spoiler:
Old 2006-10-19, 05:16   Link #7
Poseidal
Knight of Cheome

L-Gaim is one of the most under appreciated series there is. It's definitely one of the best shows Tomino has directed.

Also, the show gets better as it does along, rather than worse like some other shows. The characters are very cool too.

It's a Prince reclaiming from a foreign invader/empire storyline, and it sort of has a 'Star Wars' feel to it.

Recommended.
Old 2009-08-18, 23:56   Link #8
solomon

I have been watching the series regularly, and even though it's light hearted it's not borderline ridicoulous like the first few eps of ZZ is. I think it's really good, about 11 eps in.
Old 2009-08-19, 06:23   Link #9
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor

Send a message via MSN to ragnarokr
As someone stated, the first episode has been a little goofy like Gundam ZZ, so it turned me a little off, but if it gets better in the second season, that's very cool. Gundam ZZ also got better half way and turned into a very cool series.

BTW, Shin-Getter has reached episode 26 now (the beginning of the second season).
Oh, by the way, I enjoyed the first opening more than this one.
Old 2009-08-19, 23:23   Link #10
solomon

Yea anything by MIO rocks. I'm on episode 15 RAW. Favorite Character is prolly Gavelet. He's comical yet very cunning. Good balance.
Closed Thread