AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-01-26, 13:37   Link #21
Sun_Tze
I pity the foo!

Send a message via MSN to Sun_Tze Send a message via Yahoo to Sun_Tze
Well... I tend to make more mistakes in French rather that other languages... Since it's the strangest latin derivated language that i know.

Like this error: Je suis dans le page Soixante-Cinq (I meant page 75 and I said page 15-5).

Rarely I can make mistakes in other foreign languages (Main language is Portuguese, other languages are english and spanish)
Sun_Tze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 14:25   Link #22
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
I believe 'soixante-cinq' is 65... 'soixante-quinz' is 75...
pardon my spelling but it's been a while for me too.. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Tze
Well... I tend to make more mistakes in French rather that other languages... Since it's the strangest latin derivated language that i know.

Like this error: Je suis dans le page Soixante-Cinq (I meant page 75 and I said page 15-5).

Rarely I can make mistakes in other foreign languages (Main language is Portuguese, other languages are english and spanish)
dragonz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 14:46   Link #23
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwave
I say random japanese now and then to myself. I say *Hai!* sometimes and other simple everyday words, but they will actually think that im actually saying "Hi!" instead.

I dont use complicated words with other people, its mostly to myself for practice!
hehe. I know that feeling. Now that I've really started diving in head first into learning Japanese I've found out how much I actually mingle words from other languages into my everyday speach. Kinda creapy. Like saying "nada" (spanish for "nothing") or saying "kapiesh?" (not sure if that's spelled right, but it's italian for "understand?") when talking to someone.

Still makes me laugh to see my grandparents get mad when I was little. Ever been chewed out in German and English simoultaniously? hehe.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-28, 21:30   Link #24
Wandering A.I.
エッチだ! しかたない

I was chuckling at some anime lines in the shower this morning and realized I was remembering them and their meanings all in Japanese instead of English which was rather odd. I actually couldn't recall the English unless I then translated them in my head. The Japanese professor I had at NYU was really big on skits that you had to memorize and act out (sometimes you wrote them in groups rather than just being given them, though) so maybe my mind is just used to grabbing onto Japanese like that even if I usually think (and read the subs ^^) in English.

The thinking thing can be funny too, though - I spent several months in an intensive Japanese course a while back (basically you're in class all day Oo) and at the end I started having like a second stream of consciousness that functioned in Japanese (probably since in class you were constantly having to come up with Japanese responses) - anyway I would actually think/react to things in Japanese in my head. The funny..or maybe just sad.. part was that my Japanese was so bad what I would actually think was always rather crude or simple compared to what I was thinking in English. T.T
Wandering A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-28, 21:49   Link #25
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Yeah, no doubt. I got to see this from the other side of things in my senior year in HS. We had two japanese exchange students in our class and their english wasn't exactly the best. But the whole thing was very interesting.

In hind sight I kinda wish I could have known Japanese at that time, because I would have had a great time chatting with them. As it was, our conversations were a little difficult when just communicating in regular english. I especially felt bad for them because we definately used a lot of slang english in our daily conversations. That had to have just thrown them for a loop.
Old 2004-01-28, 23:16   Link #26
RavenChild
エリック

Send a message via AIM to RavenChild Send a message via MSN to RavenChild
i just told my spanish teacher that i hadn't gotten drunk for two weeks. i even added emphasis on the drunk and the two. luckily, he corrected me and said that ever since he had gotten married, his wife won't let him drink any. that turned the discussion from my mistake.
Old 2004-01-28, 23:46   Link #27
Lee-pimp
A.S.S. Vice President

i have to choose one language to learn since the 7th grade (ima freshman in HS) and i did french but sometimes ill be speaking and slip in a french word or too frenglish heh cept most of my friends take spanish so i have to explain kinda anoying
Lee-pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 01:49   Link #28
QuasiSparklz

Send a message via ICQ to QuasiSparklz Send a message via AIM to QuasiSparklz Send a message via MSN to QuasiSparklz Send a message via Yahoo to QuasiSparklz
Every once in awhile I'll be sitting in Spanish class and instead of saying "hola," I'll have an urge to say "ohayou," even though it's the afternoon. And instead of saying "pero," I'll want to say "demo." And then, every time Mr. Stewart says "gente," it always sounds like he's going to say "hentai." I find it quite amusing.

And then there's "Yaoi Spanish Wednesday," but that's another story.
QuasiSparklz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 12:31   Link #29
d0d0lee
だいおもしろ

Where i'm from, we have such a big mix of culture,we're constantly mixing languages... ie, chinese with dielect with malay with english and so on and so on.... sometimes, we even use a word without knowing what language its from... so it can get pretty confusing for foriegners sometimes... we even mix up the grammar so yes, its pretty scary.
Hahaha... people can scold in many diff language.

i.e. mei you la! If you don want to go, mei ren hui force ni ok? Kayu, idiot, bakar des shou!

it's actually:
没有拉! If you don want to go, 没人会force 你! Kayu, idiot, ばかですお!

translated: It's not so! If you don want to go, no one will force you! Idiot, idiot, idiot!
d0d0lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 05:05   Link #30
megazone23

Quote:
Originally Posted by frowndog
i went to hk recently and found it very excruciating to communicate with people because they refuse/cannot speak in mandarin so i would have to resort to english or even sign language. its so frustrating to be in china and not be able to understand the people.
Actually, it's only a small part of China that speaks just Cantonese. I went to China a few months ago and a large portion of the people spoke Mandarin. (especially when I went to Beijing, in which EVERYONE spoke Mandarin...) Just on a side thing though, since Beijing is such a major tourism spot (with all its ancient landmarks) quite a number of people can speak English also. And... if you speak English, they treat you with more respect and treat you as though you were unique and special. Only Hong Kong and the Guangdoung region speak a majority of Cantonese. Everywhere else around China is mainly Mandarin it seems (and me, not knowing a word of Mandarin, had a hard time going through the days...)
megazone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 06:28   Link #31
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonz20
I believe 'soixante-cinq' is 65... 'soixante-quinz' is 75...
pardon my spelling but it's been a while for me too.. lol
Well your almost right, 75 is 'soixante-quinze' but don't forget that French is a very very hard language if it isn't your mother language ^^
Perhaps even harder than German...
Old 2004-01-30, 06:45   Link #32
Amy
Fantasy...

Send a message via MSN to Amy
I think french is waaaaay easier than german at least, for me it is... I have to learn both... gah, I wish I wouldn't have to learn german, french is allright I think ^^"
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 09:04   Link #33
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
welllllllllll,

actually... it's my first language. i used to live in France a loooooonnng time ago and i learned France and cantonese.. then I moved around and ended up in the US and picked up english as a 3rd language. but I hardly get to use my french so it's really bad and rusty... sigh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany
Well your almost right, 75 is 'soixante-quinze' but don't forget that French is a very very hard language if it isn't your mother language ^^
Perhaps even harder than German...
dragonz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 11:07   Link #34
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Deutsch ist weit leichter für mich. Ich verstehe kein einzelnes Bit das Französisch.

Oh I'm sorry, was that supposed to be in english?

For the non-german speakers around here, that reads: German is far easier for me. I don't understand a single bit of french.

Dragonz20, don't feel bad. Every so often I need to head over to Germany for a couple of month to refresh my german as people around here don't speak it anymore and I easily forget. As it is, I'm rustier than a junkyard at my german.
Old 2004-01-30, 23:23   Link #35
-Mad Skillz-
Kinetic 9

Send a message via MSN to -Mad Skillz-
Wow you people must be pretty stupid, st00pid?
-Mad Skillz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 01:26   Link #36
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Not really. I'd like to see you learn a 2nd or 3rd language and not make a verbal snafu while trying to talk to someone.

The part that baffles me is I know people who know 7 languages fluently and never miss a beat talking to anyone, yet I struggle at keeping just my english straight.
Old 2004-01-31, 08:06   Link #37
frowndog
Poof... time warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone23
Actually, it's only a small part of China that speaks just Cantonese. I went to China a few months ago and a large portion of the people spoke Mandarin. (especially when I went to Beijing, in which EVERYONE spoke Mandarin...) Just on a side thing though, since Beijing is such a major tourism spot (with all its ancient landmarks) quite a number of people can speak English also. And... if you speak English, they treat you with more respect and treat you as though you were unique and special. Only Hong Kong and the Guangdoung region speak a majority of Cantonese. Everywhere else around China is mainly Mandarin it seems (and me, not knowing a word of Mandarin, had a hard time going through the days...)
Yeah, actually I'm pretty certain that even in the Guangdong area, people are getting more and more proficient in Mandarin. I think its because the government requires it in schools or something. Especially if you try and speak with someone who is younger. Around college age or below, they will most certainly be able to speak to you in Mandarin.

The problem with going to these places (China) for me is that since i look chinese, people assume i'm from the area so they speak to me in THEIR language which makes for very interesting conversations where half of what they are trying to say is lost on me
frowndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 12:05   Link #38
-Mad Skillz-
Kinetic 9

Send a message via MSN to -Mad Skillz-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Not really. I'd like to see you learn a 2nd or 3rd language and not make a verbal snafu while trying to talk to someone.
English is my second language, I can speak Serbian fluidly (as well as Croatian and Bosnian which are technically the same language except with several tweaks) As well as having to take French for 5-6years (live in Canada). Not once have I walked up to someone and said 'sta ima' instead of 'whats up', nor have I ever said 'deset' instead 'dix'.
-Mad Skillz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 15:57   Link #39
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Wow. you're doing better than a lot of people then.
Old 2004-01-31, 18:58   Link #40
saku~ya
la~li~lo

Heh, I usually catch myself before I say anything in Japanese. Its hard not to say "Okeri" to my sister when she comes home or "Oyasumi" (I dont think I spelled that right) when she trots off to bed, and even "Hai" when asked a question. Though I do find myself talking in that language to my cat ^____^ Hey at least he listens and it turns out to be great practice. But then I also tend to put Spanish in with my Japanese. Like 'Matte yo gato" And seriously he stops *_*;

Last edited by saku~ya; 2004-01-31 at 19:31.
saku~ya is offline   Reply With Quote