AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-03-31, 15:37   Link #1
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Filesharing now legal in canada!?

http://www.cbc.ca/storyview/MSN/2004...ad_court040331

According to this the courts have ruled music swapping is legal.

Quote:
"No evidence was presented that the alleged infringers either distributed or authorized the reproduction of sound recordings," von Finckenstein wrote in his 28-page ruling. "They merely placed personal copies into their shared directories which were accessible by other computer users via a P2P service."
Kinda pisses off you americans doesn't it? ^_^
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-31, 15:40   Link #2
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
dammit!!! why canada why!!!!
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-31, 16:29   Link #3
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins
dammit!!! why canada why!!!!
We're all terrorist up here, remember?
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-31, 16:35   Link #4
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

I knew I should have done this a long time ago. *packs bags*

I've been to Canada a few times (Toronto, Missassga (sp?), and some small ghetto desert town) and I like it a lot up there. I just wish it was warmer -_- But yeah this proves that Canada is great eh?
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-31, 17:06   Link #5
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

W00t go Canada!
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-31, 17:07   Link #6
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Oh yeah? Well our blank CDs only cost around 20 or 30 cents.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-31, 17:15   Link #7
Iron Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
Oh yeah? Well our blank CDs only cost around 20 or 30 cents.
That's how much ours cost too, except it's in Cdn dollars. But who knows how long that's going to last, with that new tax they are proposing.
Iron Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-31, 17:20   Link #8
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Monkey
That's how much ours cost too, except it's in Cdn dollars. But who knows how long that's going to last, with that new tax they are proposing.
Yeah, but when you figure the currency exchange rate in (and the fact that having legal filesharing is going to cost some serious tax dollars), it may very well go up to around $1.25 USD or so pretty soon. Since the exchange rate is about 1.5 canadian dollars to 1 US, that's about $2 CDN for one pack of blank CDs.

This is, at best, unfounded speculation. However, your legal filesharing is going to cost you quite a bit of money (and that's not speculation). However, enjoy paying for your filesharing, and if you don't, then you get to pay for other people's filesharing anyway

*sigh*

I want legal filesharing.

Last edited by boneyjellyfish; 2004-03-31 at 17:42. Reason: Fixed a misworded sentence - added some things
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-31, 17:31   Link #9
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Send a message via AIM to SiL Eighty
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAppi
http://www.cbc.ca/storyview/MSN/2004...ad_court040331

According to this the courts have ruled music swapping is legal.

!!! damn them! Maybe I should move to Canada Eh? Wait... Im a SoCal boy I dont think I can handlld weather...... Its 70 degrees F in my house and i got shorts on and i think its kine that coda chili.... No way will i get used to 30 under -.-'' I'll keep my butt where its warm ^_^
SiL Eighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-31, 18:33   Link #10
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Yes we're pissed off! So pissed off that we now have a reliable source to leech music off from. :fingers:

/We would help share but fear that RIAA commies would send us to Guantanamo

//Not that I download illegal music anyway...

///Believes that the RIAA should be sent to Guantanamo
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-31, 18:52   Link #11
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
So it's legal to share your music, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's legal to download it.

But Canada still has that retarded CD-R levy.
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-31, 19:07   Link #12
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Sweet, thanks the news Jappi. The RIAA has no hold over Canadian internet users right? Does that mean I can share my 350+ songs on my mp3 folder without any retaliation? Ever since that RIAA crackdown beginning last year I limited my usage of Gnucleus (P2P), because I had quite a modest collection of (popular) songs. Whew...now I can breathe a sigh of relief.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-31, 19:15   Link #13
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopeskills
So it's legal to share your music, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's legal to download it.
Canada has some funny laws in this area. It's legal in Canada to make copies of music for personal use, but it's not legal to distribute your music for copying. What today's court ruling affirms (I think) is that distributing must involve a conscious act (you would have to explicitly say "yes I want to distribute this file"). Since there's no way to prove that the end users are purposefully distributing, there is no proof that illegal activity is occuring, so the ISPs have no legal obligation to provide user information to the recording industry. (That's not to say that the ISPs *couldn't* provide the info if they wanted to, but they don't have to, and I assume none will because it's good PR.)

I fully expect that, some day, these rules will be re-evaluated in light of current trends, and I also expect this ruling will certainly be appealed as many times as it can be. However, for now, it looks like Canadians don't have to worry about being sued for sharing music.

Edit: Also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopeskills
But Canada still has that retarded CD-R levy.
This is funny too. Because of the way the levy is charged, buying a single CD-R costs like $1.50, but you can often buy a spindle of 50 for $30 or less. So, while it is more expensive, it's not that bad.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-31, 21:02   Link #14
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:

As far as I know, so many americans (as well as the many people of the world) are file sharing that I'm surprised they just don't make it legal. =/
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-31, 22:01   Link #15
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnkryo
As far as I know, so many americans (as well as the many people of the world) are file sharing that I'm surprised they just don't make it legal. =/
Well, since it is still stealing at least some money (not nearly as much as they claim, but still some) it's still illegal.

That said, I don't use KaZaA for spyware, but BitTorrent is great if you know where to go
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-31, 22:31   Link #16
Shift_

This is just another exuse for Americans to bad mouth canadians.

First we legalize Pot, which is better for you than smoking cigerettes and drinking alcohol. And the Americans think we're all fucking terrorists. Hell one out of every 10 customers when they ask where I am and I tell them I'm in Canada, they say "No wonder comcast service sucks you're all pot heads" and they hang up.

The funny thing is, 2 of the American Centers have been closed because they haven't been doing their job properly, funny eh?

Anyways. Yey it's legal (sorta)

PS CDRs are so old school...I don't know about you but I can get Tayo Yuden CDRs for about 40 cents a CDR that's Canadian, and I can get 8X Ritek DVD+Rs for $1.40/DVD Canadian and that's inside canada...CD levy phst, I'm not even feeling it.
Shift_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-31, 23:41   Link #17
GipFace

Gaspage

and I can get 8X Ritek DVD+Rs for $1.40/DVD Canadian and that's inside canada

Retail, not online? Pray tell, where?
GipFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-31, 23:51   Link #18
Shift_

retail, it would be for you

I gotta get them shipped from ontario.

www.blankmedia.ca I believe they're right outside TO. I got 100 DVDS from them a while ago. Riteks they burn at 8X no prob cost me around $155 after taxes and shipping. Then I got some TY CDs as well
Shift_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-31, 23:58   Link #19
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

I like the Canadian system better. I'd rather buy slightly more expensive CD-Rs than face risk of prosecution for cheaper CDs.
Old 2004-04-01, 00:33   Link #20
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

It's cool that Canada is allowing filesharing. I feel sorry for all the industries whose stuff is being swapped, though.
I see the thread title was modified.
Slade xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote