AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-04-11, 23:46   Link #1
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Weather discussion

Hey all. Just wondering who's a big weather enthusiest here on Animesuki. Just curious cause I was wanting to get some input from you guys on this years weather so far. Over the past 5-6 years the weather has...well, not made much sence. I'm serious. It's been weird as hell. I've studied weather since I was like 4 years old and let me tell you, the weather over the past 5-6 years has just been some of the strangest I've seen in ages. Weather patterns are all screwed, one area can get its *** handed to it twice weekly while someone just 50 miles north doesn't see a drop of rain that whole time. I also saw a bunch of popup storms come around last year too. IE storms that just come up from nowhere, kick the crap out of everything within a hundred miles, then just fold. And they'd form on days when storms shouldn't have been possible.

This year for a change though the weather is actually following something of a logical pattern. It's still screwed, but not anywhere near what it has been for the past 5-6 years. It looks like it's smoothing out into a more natural pattern from what I can see, but there's still some really big oddness in this season. Aside from some really good storms just after the first of the year, the rate at which severe storms have popped up has been way down this year and we're way behind our numbers for year to date on storms and especially tornados. I'm sure some of you guys have seen much the same thing too. By this time of the year there's usually already been at least 200-300 tornados already. We haven't even crested 75 last count, or at least at the last time I saw the storm numbers. Even if it's near 100, that's still at least half to a third of what they normally are. Now that might sound good to some people, but it bothers me a bit. Sure, I don't wish a tornado on anyone, but at the same time they're also a sign of a good healthy weather system, and I don't think ours has exactly been healthy the last couple of years.

What do you guys think of this? I'm currently confused. I need to gather a bit more data, but for now I'm definately confused. Probubly more stumped than confused. Weather patterns have been so weak this year post december period. Sure, we had some cold snaps and some snow, but nowhere near what we should have or were predicted to have. The rain this year has also been kinda lax too. I've only seen two storms so far with lightning and neither storm was anything to get excited over. In fact, both storms seemed like they wanted to just die out from the word go. On top of that they didn't last very long, and this is under perfect severe storm conditions. Also, to add another piece of information to the growing puzzle, there doesn't seem to be much in the line of major driving storm forces moving much of anywhere in the world right now. Not even El Nino or La Nina.

Well, I look for your input on this. I haven't had the time to do the in-depth study I want to on this so there's probubly a lot of info I've missed, so if you guys know of anything I'm missing, please pipe in.

(mods, by my best understanding of the rules this thread should be ok. If this thread isn't ok, then go ahead and lock it cause if anyone wants to discuss it we can just move things over to the forums on my site at that point. Thanks.)

EDIT: Typo.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 23:50   Link #2
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

I know weather [I check weather.com every morning before school and know how to predict fog and rain]. Not as well as you, though.
I have noticed weird weather spikes in my area. Awfully cold winters [a lot more days w/ frost] and cooler summers [not many days over 100*].
Slade xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 00:07   Link #3
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
talking about weird hobbies..........

Well, actually im a fan of the weather channel, the topic is interesting. The weather here has change extremly over the past years. Bogotá used to be a really cold city, now we get extremly hot days from time to time. Another example is that every holly friday at 3 o'clock it rain. ALL of them, that can be scary if you ar not catholic... anyway this year didn't rain, is like the end of the world!!!
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 00:18   Link #4
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Try living in Indiana, the weather sucks ass there. I used to check weather.com everyday until I realized that "probablility of percipitation" didn't mean jack. Here's a typical day:

I wake up, look outside, and its sunny yay! And since its mid-April, that means I can wear t-shirt and shorts today yay! So I go outside, and its 44F degrees. I'm freezing my ass off. I suck it up and go to class, only to come back outside and its raining. So now I'm soaking wet and wearing a t-shirt and shorts in my next class. I walk back outside and it stopped raining, well that's good. I go to another class and come out, and now its SNOWING. WTF

I'm SOOO glad I'm graduating and getting the hell out of this state. Indiana is hell disguised as a corn field. :fingers:
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 09:19   Link #5
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Wow, that sounds kinda like the weather up here. The joke in Michigan is "Don't like the weather? Wait 5 minutes!" Thing is, it didn't used to be that way. Of course there is one place I know of that has Michigan and Indiana beat for suddenly changes in weather. Yakama, Washington. OMG, the weather literally can change 8 times in 5 minutes. Sheesh. I've seen it before and it's just nuts.
Old 2004-04-12, 09:47   Link #6
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
I've noticed that the weather here is *just* as unpredictable as ever. It'll be like +15-20 and sunny then the next day it's -20 and snow.
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 12:10   Link #7
7thMethuselah

well over the last ten years weather has changed alot where I live. We used to have cold winters but now we are lucky if we can get 1 day of snow. Also we get alot more rain than before and the summers are getting tropical where they used to be average before. Also I've read that many species of local plant and animal life are getting towards extinction level and that tropical animals are getting more frequent.
Not that I'm worried or anything I know close to nothing about what causes these things, but I hate hot summers, I prefer cold winters ...
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 12:52   Link #8
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
Should we be expecting you to be the next Channel10 weatherman in the next few years?
dragonz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 14:14   Link #9
Moon The Cat
Hoi!

Yeah weather is pretty weird, as all of you know pollution is probably the main cause , I live in a hot place and most of the time I complain about the damn heat. I't like the common topic among the citizens. If you are all by yourself and suddenly want to talk to someone, you just have to say, "It's hot isn't it?".
Moon The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 14:24   Link #10
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
the weather has gotten alot hotter here (Scali) though i am not a meterologist... ...

well, we have only ourselves to blame.
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 14:32   Link #11
SwiftStar
Daydreamer

Here in NYC we are still patiently awaiting Spring while wearing winter coats. I read somewhere that global warming is to blame for all of this and that if we dont correct it we can expect even more extreme shifts in weather, some extremely destructive. I beleive that is what the plot of that upcoming movie the Day after Tomorrow is.
SwiftStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 15:12   Link #12
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

[Just my thoughts on the matter...]

The weather patterns are changing and I doubt for the better. Although I can't blame humanity for all of it I certainly can say we might have had something to do with it. An interesting piece of trivia, the proccess known as the Green House Effect is actually a natural process. At most humanity can be accredited as helping to accelerate the process, but is not the cause of it.

Sadly, we are approaching the next period of Glacial Advance. Basically... an Ice Age! Sounds impressive and almost unbelievable but it's, for the most part, true. Between each glacial advance the earth's climate warms, most people would agree that in the last few years average temperatures have increased. Furthermore, over the last few years there has been records in numbers of ice bergs and there average sizes. Also, there has been record amounts of melting in the northern glaciers. Remember, it's been noted that immediately before each period of Glacial Advance the earth's temperature increases dramatically.

Back to the issue of global warming, global warming is escential to the onset of an ice age. In the last few years, numerous old growth forests have begun to burn and with the farmers almanac predicting this year to be dryer than all previous years (in my area atleast), many more large scale fires can be expected. With the desert regions of the planet rapidly expanding, dust from their storms can now stretch over a thousand miles through the sky. These two events, large scale fire and dust storms, are important to global warming, they create the massive amounts of dust in the atmosphere needed to trap heat near the planet's surface. CO2 emmission only help the process, it would happen regardless.

This dust build up in the atmosphere will continue to increase the surface temperature causing more fires and dust storms (a lovely cycle). Until, eventually, the dust clouds will be come so thick they will prevent the Sun's heat from reaching the surface and the planet's surface will cool down rapidly. Welcome to the Ice Age! But there is a trick to it, the heating of the surface has a sideeffect other than fire and dust storms.... Massive amounts of evaporation. Large amounts of water need to be evaporated to help generate the cloud cover and the eventual snow that would blanket the earth. What's more, it's been suggested that sudden, violent changes in weather patterns are an indication of this (large amounts of evaporation and sudden temperature increases).

[end ominous suggestion...]

Just my thoughts combined with the many bits of relatively trivial knowledge stored in my head... On a side note, if there was an Ice Age soon I doubt more the seven hundred and fifty thousand people would survive it. I'd guess lower... but our primitive ancestors survived one with less than half our brain capacity so I suppose we should be able to do better.

[Edit: I typed this in a hurry, forgive my spelling and non-flowing sentences]
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 15:18   Link #13
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
[Just my thoughts on the matter...]

Back to the issue of global warming, global warming is escential to the onset of an ice age. In the last few years, numerous old growth forests have begun to burn and with the farmers almanac predicting this year to be dryer than all previous years (in my area atleast), many more large scale fires can be expected.
I don't about the rest of the world but New Jersey recently hit several marks for coldest day out of the calendar year this past winter. They shattered records that were very old (hundred or so years I think). Global warming skipped our region apparently...
dragonz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 15:37   Link #14
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonz20
I don't about the rest of the world but New Jersey recently hit several marks for coldest day out of the calendar year this past winter. They shattered records that were very old (hundred or so years I think). Global warming skipped our region apparently...
Last summer my region recieved 3 inchs of rain in 7 months and a total of 1 foot of snow fall during the winter. We mostly had frost on the ground and the temperature never really fell below -10C. A far cry from winters 10 years ago when the average snow fall was between 7 and 9 feet a season and the average day time temperature during the winter was -37(C/F, they're the same at that temp.). Summers were also wetter, 4 to 4.5 feet of rain in 4 months and an average temperature of 28C compared to the 38C we get now. If there is a Chinook, the temperature can easily raise to 45C and stay there for a day or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by To make things easy...
-40C = -40F
0C = 32F
45C = 105F
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 18:19   Link #15
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Quote:
Just my thoughts combined with the many bits of relatively trivial knowledge stored in my head... On a side note, if there was an Ice Age soon I doubt more the seven hundred and fifty thousand people would survive it. I'd guess lower... but our primitive ancestors survived one with less than half our brain capacity so I suppose we should be able to do better.
I would think that more people than that would survive. Why? Simple. We have a technological advantage over our ancestors. Besides, we could very easily turn the tropics into one huge piece of farmland to keep us all feed. IF it ever reached the point of an iceage, the world would have to all work together or we'd never make it. Of course knowing human nature, we'll probubly all nuke ourselves out of existance before we'll starve or freeze to death.

EDIT: Back on topic. I don't know if the theory of global warming can exactly explain what's going on, but I don't doubt that mankind has had some kind of effect on it. The strange thing is, for as much crap as we've been pumping into the atmosphere over the past 300 years, it's utterly amazing we haven't brought some kind of huge global natural catastrophy down on us yet.
Old 2004-04-14, 12:41   Link #16
Cammie
Smooth and Curvy...

the weather here in Florida is a bit cold..... tonight its suppose to go down to a record low 30's. Now thats cold for Florida.
Cammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 20:06   Link #17
Sid_Burn
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sid_Burn Send a message via AIM to Sid_Burn Send a message via Yahoo to Sid_Burn
Im a weather enthusiest! also, I love to study the awesome power of Tornadoes...w/c a re extremely destructive...

Yeah... the weather in this year...seems strange...I think there will be more stormy day's coming this year...than last year...

That's all...
Sid_Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 14:06   Link #18
megazone23

Yeah, the weather has been really weird all around these days. Odd temperature spikes and strange weather conditions. Sudden drops in temperature of ~15C in one day (no not comparing day and night, but two days, one after the other, at around the same time) and having dark, cloudy, rainy mornings, but completely clear afternoon blue skies and sunshine. Getting less and less rain these past years also. Last year forest fires were everywhere (even reached a city and burned down numerous homes and such) and took many months to put them all out (combined effort of firefighters from all over the country and part of the US and part of the army) Damn, the weather better stablize and go back to normal or an even worse year of forest fires is coming ><"
Ok, that was kinda off-topic -_-" Yes, the weather is weird (and it's really screwing up the weather forecasts also since they keep changing every day or two)
megazone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 17:35   Link #19
Asura
should i stay longer?

Send a message via MSN to Asura
well, here in the northwest coast it's been pretty cold lately... but at least it's predictable, temperature wise, from day to day...
Asura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 20:46   Link #20
p3psi
Oscar winning black actor

ahahaha,a weather enthusiest, what a noid.

im just kidding
or am i?

nah, i kind cuz everyone needs a hobby, no matter how noidy it is.

LIke how i have my collection of ecchi bed sheets and body pillows, you know, it adds a little flavor to the room, and smell i guess.
p3psi is offline   Reply With Quote