AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-17, 09:17   Link #61
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I'm hoping that people realize that Asperger's is a very broad classification that many good psychiatrists don't always use, as diagnosing a person to have Asperger's is difficult to accurately do.
Old 2009-08-17, 22:30   Link #62
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I'm hoping that people realize that Asperger's is a very broad classification that many good psychiatrists don't always use, as diagnosing a person to have Asperger's is difficult to accurately do.
And with this being an anime character that we don't have a way of testing blah blah blah, it's prob best to go with a simple diagnosis. Something that the general population can grasp and run with. Game developer has enough to deal with let alone a complicated psych diagnosis that most fans won't be aware of.

Most fans won't be using DSMIV while playing imo.

Edit: If it wasn't for the "almost" stereotypy (in her case those darn "uu"), she wouldn't stick out as much. It's like they put Ayu from Kanon in overdrive. Wouldn't it be interesting if the child abuse was a cause of her "uu"?

Last edited by orion; 2009-08-17 at 22:59.
Old 2009-08-17, 23:03   Link #63
TsundereCake
真 ラブ

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Wouldn't it be interesting if the child abuse was a cause of her "uu"?
*cough* *cough*

Man.... something's in my throat.....
Old 2009-08-17, 23:06   Link #64
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsundereCake View Post
*cough* *cough*

Man.... something's in my throat.....
Well, she is being traumatized prob on a daily basis.

She got slapped on the train, slapped in the garden, made to stand out in the rain. Wasnt all that within 24 hours depending on which scenario you follow?

Let's not forget her sucker getting squashed by her mother in anger. That brought out Creepy Maria.
Old 2009-08-18, 01:01   Link #65
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

The continuous repetition of the same word or sound is something that is pretty common in very young children. But that's usually true when they are around 3 or 4 years old. That's why Rosa reminds Battler tha Maria is 9 years old.

I would say that Maria suffered from an impairment on her developmental course causing her to keep behaving like a child of a younger age. However the complex behavior and higher intelligence she shows whenever she talks about Beatrice makes me think otherwise.

There are many things that aren't plausible in her "normal" behavior. For example, when she read the letter, she stuttered on the word "messenger" as if it was a difficult word for her. And then a moment later she read a far more complex letter which is full of kanji that a 9 year old girl isn't even supposed to know.

Now there are more examples of that in the novel. Anyway the only conclusion I can come up with is that Maria pretends to be stupid.

I don't mean to say that she is completely normal, but when she shows to do not understand some basic things, she's faking it.

When she shows she is capable of having such a good knowledge of the language to stand up against Battler on an argument at an almost phylosophical level, how am I supposed to believe she doesn't know how to pronounce "messenger"?

Maria is faking it, and in the same way she is faking her overly childish behaviour, which in fact suddenly disappears when she is in "witch" mode.
Most probably Maria does that because she wants to look cute, and her childish behavior could be a way for her to attract her mother's attention.

Old 2009-08-18, 19:21   Link #66
Bureiku

um btw on this topic what kind of nine year old knows hebrew and can write it perfectly and all the such i think this proves that maria is not nine years old mentaly and is probably aware of the other worlds or something happend in her past
Spoiler for higurashi spoiler:
Old 2009-08-19, 11:39   Link #67
Velsy

I have to admit, Marias "Uuuu" is kinda cute. Like Rikas "nippa!" was

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Old 2009-08-22, 11:49   Link #68
CrossoverManiac
Come and drink my koolaid

Send a message via Yahoo to CrossoverManiac
I originally believed she was being controlled/possessed by Beatrice. I'm probably wrong but I got the impression she was speaking for Beatrice who was dictating to Maria telepathically.
Old 2009-08-27, 23:07   Link #69
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

I do not know if this is the proper thread to discuss the following, but here I go:

In my personal opinion, I think that Ai Shimizu would have been a better choice on Maria's role because she would have added a more sadistic tone to Maria's fanaticism and morbid insanity.

However, I'm not deprecating Yui Horie's performance on the role at all.

It's just that I formed on my mind a deep impression that the role of the playful, but wickedly sadistic, cute little girl nicely suits to Shimizu Ai, since I've ever heard her voicing the role of Road Camelot in D.Gray-man

Of course, I do not think that Maria's being sadistic in her personality. It's more that she harbors a morbid idolatry or fanaticism with everything that goes along the line of occult stuff and witches. But at least one among you will agree with me that the deadly combination of creepiness and cuteness adds gravitas to the character.

Furthermore, I cannot bring myself picturing Ai Shimizu taking on a role whose character has the tendency to intonate a cute sound as part of her moeness factor, hence, that's why I believe for many reasons that Yui Horie was casted on Maria's role, because her unique way of pronouncing her character's "Uuuu" sound is astonishingly moe.
Old 2009-09-02, 16:01   Link #70
Arbane the Terrible

Random crazy theory: I read in an anime blogger's review of the series that Maria's little crown represents a black chess king.

What if Maria's the real enemy, not Beatrice?

The obvious problems with this theory are

1: we have it on the good authority of the 1st Episode's epilogue that Maria died horribly with everyone else, and

2: the small fact that I have NO idea how she'd be a real threat, unless her sheer level of belief in Beatrice is what's empowered Beatrice to kill everyone.
Old 2009-09-02, 16:17   Link #71
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Gotta like when she's insane XD
Old 2009-09-02, 16:20   Link #72
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Yes Maria's little crown is the same as the iconic "black king" of chess. But imho it stinks as a red herring as anything else related to Maria.

Old 2009-09-02, 18:03   Link #73
EroShinobi
BernKastel -> TrollKastel

Maria way of speech and her dual personality is cute.
I don't understand why many people hate her.
Old 2009-09-02, 18:11   Link #74
Arbane the Terrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroShinobi View Post
Maria way of speech and her dual personality is cute.
I don't understand why many people hate her.
The "uu" thing gets old, and (in the anime) she spends too much time being utterly creepy with nobody paying any attention. They handle it better in the manga, where people do get creeped out by her when she's acting weird.

Speaking of creepy things, that icon of yours is pure nightmare fuel.
Old 2009-09-09, 14:53   Link #75
Beatoriche
Golden Dreamer~

Send a message via Yahoo to Beatoriche
I love Maria very much. * is mesmerized by her cu~teness*

She seems to be the very reason I got through my phobia of 'psychos' (being a cute one in fact )
(She is also lucky to be the daughter of the BEST MOM IN THE WORLD xD)
Old 2009-09-16, 16:15   Link #76
Cytrus
Unchangingly Hopeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Yes Maria's little crown is the same as the iconic "black king" of chess. But imho it stinks as a red herring as anything else related to Maria.
Actually, it makes perfect sense for Maria to be the black king, imho.

People often associate the king piece with power and authority, but that's a bit misleading. The power piece is the queen, and the anime has already dubbed Beatrice as the [black] queen with its "early queen move" title. A king, on the other hand, is a versatile but rather weak piece. The king is more important than the queen only because taking your king is your opponent's win condition.

That's exactly the case with Maria. If at any point during the game something happens that can convince Maria the witch does not exist, it should also be enough to convince every other person on the island. Beatrice is dependent on belief at least to some extent. If everybody accepts her, she will become the truth. If everybody denies her...

Losing Maria is to the witch side what losing Battler is to the human side - not an immediate loss, but very close to it. The servants (witch side) and people like Kyrie and Rosa (human side) can serve as temporary replacements, but only for the time you need to recover your king piece. The human side survived losing Battler once... and was about to lose five minutes later. So yeah.

Though I certainly wouldn't mind Maria taking on an active role in the battle, too. She's a chibi female determinator, once you see her in Ep.4. I'm sure she could make Battler sweat if she tried.
Old 2009-09-16, 16:25   Link #77
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

The game is not about convincing Maria that the witch doesn't exist, Battler never even tried that, he actually lies to her to make her happy at the start of ep1. Even if Battler demonstrates that the culprit is human, that alone shouldn't suddenly convince Maria that the witch doesn't exist and I see no reason for Battler to strike any further than that.

The King certainly isn't the most powerful piece, but it is still the most important piece. No doubt about Beatrice being the black queen, but if I'd have to chose a black king, my vote would definitely go to Kinzo, who's belief in the witch and knowledge of the occult are by no means inferior to Maria's.

Old 2009-09-17, 05:15   Link #78
Arbane the Terrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
if I'd have to chose a black king, my vote would definitely go to Kinzo, who's belief in the witch and knowledge of the occult are by no means inferior to Maria's.
Which raises the obvious question--how does a 9-year-old Japanese girl know so much about western black magic? It's not on the cirriculum at most schools, and I doubt Rosa would buy her grimoires even for her birthday. And there wasn't any Internet to speak of back in 1986.
Old 2009-09-17, 05:27   Link #79
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Grandpa.....and one would assume, Beatrice.
Old 2009-09-17, 06:51   Link #80
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

She didn't learn by herself, it's 1986 there isn't internet in her house (and probably there isn't any computer either), and encyclopedia wouldn't be that accurate on the matter, she's too young to walk alone in a library. Someone must have told her all that stuff. That's actually what she herself would tell you. Of course, it was Beatrice!

Closed Thread