AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-12, 15:41   Link #261
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
If he/she is a genderless character like Hideyoshi, then billions of doujinshi dedicated to him/her will be there.
Why are you using Hideyoshi as an example? Despite his determined trapness, Hideyoshi IS male, in no uncertain terms. His gender is not in question from our side of the fourth wall, however much a source of confusion it is for people encountering him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
Since Hastur is The King in Yellow, he's a boy for sure
Nyarlathotep's most common appearance in the mythos is as an Egyptian pharaoh, but it still got turned into a girl here. The one whose name should not be spoken's gender is no better defined than Nyarlathotep's, so there is no reason why this series' creator can't make that character female any more than there was preventing him from making Nyaruko female.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 16:53   Link #262
bumbayker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Nyarlathotep's most common appearance in the mythos is as an Egyptian pharaoh, but it still got turned into a girl here. The one whose name should not be spoken's gender is no better defined than Nyarlathotep's, so there is no reason why this series' creator can't make that character female any more than there was preventing him from making Nyaruko female.
It seems like Japan prefers Nyarlathotep appear as female despite he/she can take any form and gender. A previous version of Nyarlathotep which initially depicted the outer god as female was Nya in the VN and anime Demonbane. I suppose it's an excuse to make him/her appealing in the anime medium. Of course it doesn't change the fact that Nyarlathotep's true form is a grotesque eldricht abomination.
bumbayker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 20:39   Link #263
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbayker View Post
the fact that Nyarlathotep's true form is a grotesque eldricht abomination.
From most Nyarlathotepians point of view humans might look like grotesque bags of water :/
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 21:18   Link #264
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
From most Nyarlathotepians point of view humans might look like grotesque bags of water :/
You know what....that actually sounds pretty disgusting...
Old 2012-04-12, 21:37   Link #265
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Created a social group for this series(and the shorts):
My Elder God Cannot Be This Cute!

It took me a while to figure out the name.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 21:44   Link #266
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
Created a social group for this series(and the shorts):
My Elder God Cannot Be This Cute!

It took me a while to figure out the name.
Nyar-ko is a Outer god not a Elder God. Different group, lots of bad blood. Something to do with a lawnmower.
Old 2012-04-12, 21:47   Link #267
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Yeah, Mythos-wise Nyarly is the Herald of the Outer Gods, meaning cosmic levels of nastiness.

Anyone else catch Nodens -- that IS Nodens right? Matches the description and he was served by Nightgaunts -- in the next episode PV?
Old 2012-04-12, 21:47   Link #268
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Finely watch the first episode and she is a really a hyperactive girl who seems to have no shame
Old 2012-04-12, 21:51   Link #269
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
Finely watch the first episode and she is a really a hyperactive girl who seems to have no shame
she is a Eldritch Abomination also known as the CEO of Darkness
Old 2012-04-12, 21:55   Link #270
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
I don't think we can even consider Nyarly a girl in-continuity. At most she's an alien "it" that just happens to want to mate with our hapless Mahiro. That's nasty in itself ahaha.

If we include the canon Mythos into the equation? Stuff like what happened in Saya no Uta will be the LEAST of Humanity's worries. Nyarlathothep loves messing with people, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
she is a Eldritch Abomination also known as the CEO of Darkness
To be specific, the CEO of the Chrysalis Corporation from Cthulutech. Fun times.
Old 2012-04-12, 22:41   Link #271
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
By the looks of it (and what I've read on this thread), the main character is Tsundere. Am I correct?
OH. She's just a spazz.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 22:58   Link #272
Midonin
Last Engage

Kana Asumi can act mad on par with Yuu Kobayashi. I don't think she has the range for wacky voices like Kobayashi does, but she definitely has the same kind of infective energy that chews on the scenery.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 23:08   Link #273
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
she is a really a hyperactive girl who seems to have no shame
The way I see it is a nice role reversal, from Nyaruko-san perspective Mahiro is playing hard to get, which make her desire to posses him even greater and it can be expected that at some poiint Mahiro would give her an small token of gratitude (a kiss on the forehead or a hug) that will simply fuel more Nyaruko-san cravings for Mahiro's flesh of course feeling he is the sheep being preyed upon Mahiro will feel even more defenseless and retaliate with the fork (which must be like a gentle caress when you literaly have thousands of hit points).
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 23:28   Link #274
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Anyone else catch Nodens -- that IS Nodens right? Matches the description and he was served by Nightgaunts -- in the next episode PV?
I did now that you mentioned it. Here's some of what we've got on Nodens:

Quote:
Nodens is one of the Elder Gods and appears as an elderly, human male with white hair—gray-bearded and hoary yet still vital and strong. He often rides in a chariot formed from a huge seashell pulled by some great beasts of legend. Nodens is served by the Nightgaunts.

As a hunter, he will chase down evil creatures in the Dreamlands, such as the Shantaks. He prefers to hunt the servants of the Great Old Ones or Nyarlathotep because they are usually the most intelligent and offer the best sport, but not necessarily because he wants to help humans being attacked by them. He has, however, been known to deliberately help humans
Makes sense that he'd be after Nyaruko. Ironic if he's going to be portrayed as an atagonist, given, as it says, that he is one of the very few Lovecraftian dieties willing to deliberately give aid to humans, rather than just ignore them. And on the reverse, Nyarlathotep is one of the few that is considered actively malevolent: even evil.

Quote:
I don't think we can even consider Nyarly a girl in-continuity.
How do you define "girl?" I'm willing to bet that a complete anatomical study of her current form would find her to be completely a human female, inside and out. Perhaps more importantly, she is treated like one and acts like one in the series.
Old 2012-04-13, 00:11   Link #275
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
Since Hastur is The King in Yellow, he's a boy for sure
Not really, all ruler titles can be used for female if they want.

Example:
- Jadwiga, crowed herself as "Hedvig Rex Poloniae" ("Hedwig, King of Poland"), not "Hedvig Regina Poloniae" ("Hedwig, Queen of Poland").
- Anna Jagiellon - King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania,
- Maria Theresa of Austria, while she was able to be crowned as Empress or Queen of most of her lands, she is crowed as King of Hungary in 1741.
- Irene of Athens, she often called herself "Basileus" (Emperor), rather than "Basilissa" (Empress).
- Lư Chiêu Hoàng, alway is claimed as Emperor of Dai Viet (Viet Nam) rather than Empress.
v.v....
Old 2012-04-13, 00:14   Link #276
Sumeragi
Banned

A slight difference here: The English word King tend to have a specific male gender.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 00:20   Link #277
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
A slight difference here: The English word King tend to have a specific male gender.
But we're talking about a character in a Japanese series, and they've already shown with Nyarko and Kuuko and Atko and the Cthulhu woman whose name I can't remember that they don't care what gender the cosmic horrors originally were. That's why saying that Hastur's character in this anime will have to be male because it happened to be given a male title in the mythos is foolish. Its gender will be whatever the series' creator wants it to be. The title of "king" is irrelevant.
Old 2012-04-13, 00:22   Link #278
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Tell that to Saber.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 00:25   Link #279
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
How do you define "girl?" I'm willing to bet that a complete anatomical study of her current form would find her to be completely a human female, inside and out. Perhaps more importantly, she is treated like one and acts like one in the series.
I'm willing to do so myself, but there's this voice whispering at the back of my mind telling me to NOT take anything a thing named Nyarlathothep at face value. :P
Old 2012-04-13, 00:40   Link #280
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
But we're talking about a character in a Japanese series, and they've already shown with Nyarko and Kuuko and Atko and the Cthulhu woman whose name I can't remember that they don't care what gender the cosmic horrors originally were. That's why saying that Hastur's character in this anime will have to be male because it happened to be given a male title in the mythos is foolish. Its gender will be whatever the series' creator wants it to be. The title of "king" is irrelevant.
That's a separate discussion from the use of titles in non-English-speaking countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Tell that to Saber.
Saber's my pet, so your argument is irrelevant.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, light novel adaptation, loli, parody, romance, seinen, shounen, trap