Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-09-29, 06:35   Link #181
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Now if only Accel World and SAO were one... I'd love to have AW's setting, SAO's characters, in-depthness, and professions!
Old 2012-10-03, 11:10   Link #182
RDF2050
Superidol

Preview for the 14th Episode

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-10-03 at 12:11.
RDF2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 12:13   Link #183
maplehurry

LOL "preview"...
maplehurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 12:41   Link #184
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
LOL "preview"...
I figured that might happen given the rather massive cliffhanger. They're being extra cruel and not giving us any hints... but I suppose they still had to produce a preview anyway. Better that than a preview that spoils things, of course -- which I have seen far too often in other anime...
Old 2012-10-04, 02:02   Link #185
Rakshasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
LOL "preview"...
Yeah, not like we hadn't realised he's now dedicated to finishing the game for the masses of scrubs.
Old 2012-10-06, 00:15   Link #186
n120cky

That's more like review to me .
n120cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 00:28   Link #187
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

This is the translation of the narration of Episode 14 Preview by Vaizoku:

"The Battle with The Skull Reaper, it's finally the last battle, with Asuna, and all the other comrades that fought with us and for all the people who have died, I cannot lose this battle. I will end this game! Next time on Sword Art Online Episode 14: The End of the World."

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-10-06 at 02:24.
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 02:16   Link #188
Alucard24

This sounds like the end of the anime ?? Will they add 10 episode of filler ?
Alucard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 09:31   Link #189
n120cky

I would rather they fill episodes with the relationship between Kirito and Asuna IRL, if it really the game ends.
Old 2012-10-06, 19:39   Link #190
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Found a video with previews of the new opening and ending song with some footage from episode 15 (and possibly beyond) and I'd advise not looking until you've finished 14.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 12:26   Link #191
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Yippee, pointy ears... :/
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 12:55   Link #192
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

So I was just thinking, the next episode's title is "Return" right? So what if:

1) Kirito goes to look for Asuna, hoping that she too was granted the ability to wake up from this virtual world; HOWEVER
2) We find out that Asuna is in fact still stuck in limbo aka virtual world or at least nervegear helmet style.
3) In order to be with her, he jumps back into the virtual world in new game/setting/world (hence the "return").
4) Their next quest is to figure out how to bring her conscience or mind back to the real world.
5) This would solve the problem of 10 episodes not dealing too much with the virtual worlds, and also continues upon their relationship building.

EDIT:
I'm going to include my reasoning behind my speculation:

Here are the main perspectives I'm trying to think of:
From a...;
1) Money-making/Story-Telling standpoint.
2) Title of previous episode (end of world) and next episode (Return).
3) The fact that I also posted the other potential possibility in the episode thread, but I realized that it would just be too hard to maintain (again from a story-telling/money-making standpoint). [I will reference the post below]

Now I'll go more in depth to explain each point:

1) The money-making/story-telling standpoint is for both the Author of the novel series (I know that this is based off of a novel, you guys are constantly deleting away because of it too) as well as for the anime studio.
a) If the author hooks his readers on this concept of a virtual world, and leads them on for 14 episodes worth of novel material (not sure what that correlates to), why "betray" your fan-base by making the rest of your stories purely about the relationship between Asuna and Kirito, plus the other side characters? It's a novel, there's plenty of time for publicity to get around to let people know that the Author has gone bat-shit crazy to turn this virtual world game novel into one that is about high-school life drama (whereby they don't even go to the same high-school most likely [kirito + asuna], and the other side characters aren't even school characters). You can only write so much based off the real world, even if your focus is just purely on character relationships (Which was something some people have pointed out in one of the earlier episode threads, about how this SAO story is much more about the character relationships, than purely the battles, etc.).

b) So, the only way to maintain your current fanbase as an author is to tie in some virtual world concepts again (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...55#post4385255). You can see my 1st post in the episode thread in which I further talk about "experiences" and relationships. As I noted, if there are 10 episodes left, they might talk a little bit potentially about people who yearn for the virtual world. But can you really drag that on for 10 episodes from an Anime Studio standpoint? They wouldn't partake in this project if it did, especially since this is marketed as a virtual world-anime etc. Back to Author, for him, theres two ways to maintain this virtual world concept:
b1) Like I said in the above post, shed light on how some of the characters, after 2 years of being in this virtual world, actually end up preferring the virtual world over the real. Question then is, what is real and what's virtual? Experiences, bonds you form, etc. [though it's kind of expensive living off an IV drip for the rest of your life, and who knows how long you can live off of one of those anyway, but hey, if they can create a virtual world, who knows how the medical field has advanced.
b2) The other consideration to take is the fact that story-telling (unless it's a side-story) pretty much follows the main characters, and who are the main characters? Asuna + Kirito. So even if the author talked about other characters for a while, how can he get the main characters into this virtual world to continue his story/keep his fanbase happy? We know these two have already developed a very strong bond, and don't need to be in a virtual world to be happy. Hell, Asuna even said she wants to meet Kirito in the real world, and fall in love with him there, get married with him, grow old together. So there is really no incentive or no good reason for them to go back...until we think about the end of episode 14. We know Kirito is alive, but what do we know about Asuna? Nothing as of yet. We can assume she's alive since they both "wow'd" Kayaba, and since she's a main character, probably alive, but we don't know the state of her mind as we did not see her "being awake" like Kirito. So this is the perfect way to draw Kirito, our main character, back into the virtual world. What if Asuna's mind was still somehow tied to the nervegear? In that case, Kirito will most likely jump in to find her somehow. --> Question is, which virtual game will they play? Kayaba, at the end of episode 14, said something about "I'll have to go do my thing now", which was after his whole spiel about different worlds out in the real world, one that could have even been like SAO, etc. Now I don't know if it's a translation thing, but for Kayaba to just say "imma go do my thing now", implies 2 things: 1) He's just going to turn himself in to the police/he's going to go die with his virtual world. 2) He has something else up his sleeve, another virtual world!

Anyway, that's the basis for my speculation!

Last edited by miroku2192; 2012-10-10 at 00:53.
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 12:56   Link #193
RDF2050
Superidol

Preview for the 15th Episode

Spoiler for Translation:
Old 2012-10-10, 16:31   Link #194
kinggreg8589

The preview kinda of adds onto miroku2192 idea on what the story is going to be about now that they came back to the real world
kinggreg8589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 09:50   Link #195
rocket
Senior and Demented

I posted this (rather late) to the ep14 thread and I guess it really belongs here more.

I actually found this last episode amazing, but when I saw it I took away something totally different than everybody else - Asuna died for realz!

I mean, why is everybody so convinced that she's alive? They didn't say that anywhere in the episode at all. Instead, we see her die, and we're all like "Asuna, nooooooooo!" Then our hope are raised when we see her in heaven, but then Kirito ends up apologizing and they end up saying good bye. It was pretty clear to me that they expected her to die if not both of them to die when the game finally finished. Why else would all the *other* players get logged out? Why else would their farewell be so tearful? If they were escaping they should be celebrating and planning how to meet/communicate quickly in the real world.

Also, in retrospect I think she *has* to die. The show began brilliantly by making us feel the impact of a virtual world with real death by the early killing of Kirito's guild and girl friend. Since then the possibility of real death has lingered over every character. That's what all the running away and honeymooning episodes were based on as well. Then before the last boss battle with all their discussions about how they'd deal with each other's deaths and why they have to risk death, dramatically is has to lead to one of their deaths.

If it ended with this, it'd be a great tragic ambiguous conclusion. Since it's not the last episode it feels like a huge cliffhanger!

It would be heart breaking. But that's what I'm expecting. I mean I was heartbroken when Asuna first took the sword for Kirito.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the 'return' was the first step in a grieving Kirito turning into the kind of obsessive psycho that set up this kind of game in the first place.

Well actually now that I write that 'aloud' I guess that wouldn't be very satisfying third arc either, but... gah! I'm still on pins and needles until I see Asuna's smiling face again!

Sadly a more reasonable third arc would be about the 'return' to the real world, burdened by the grief and tragedy of loss that no one could under stand because it was all virtual. Who of their band would lose it in real life? And how would Kirito find meaning and renewed purpose in a world without Asuna. Maybe Yui would play some role in that...
Old 2012-10-14, 02:45   Link #196
n120cky

After watching episode 15 I got the setting this is going to be a "prince rescuing a princess in the tower that guarded by dragon" arc.

I personally(and maybe many of us) don't like this kind of arc but I do hope they can deliver this flawlessly, I mean baddas Asuna is more win than passive Asuna.

I hope I am wrong but I can't help having the feeling this series rating will go down.
Old 2012-10-14, 02:50   Link #197
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist

Man, shouldn't of watched eps 14 and 15 together, because that sent me into a WTF talespin! But yeah, I kinda get whats going on now.
Old 2012-10-14, 08:56   Link #198
n120cky

Spoiler for Noticed something strange in the ending:

I just hope he is stalking Suguha not Kirito, um well Kazuto.
Old 2012-10-14, 10:49   Link #199
rocket
Senior and Demented

Well I was relived to see Asuna alive!

I think the damsel in disstress rage is oddly misplaced. If Kirito's going back into a game world where Asuna is walking around, why should she be passive for any more than just this one episode?
Old 2012-10-14, 12:53   Link #200
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by n120cky View Post
Spoiler for Noticed something strange in the ending:

I just hope he is stalking Suguha not Kirito, um well Kazuto.
lol didn't even notice that. snap
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote