AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-07-26, 18:50   Link #261
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Well, yeah thus my lament in my previous post of "WHY THE HELL THIS IS NOT LICENSED HERE".
Old 2010-07-26, 18:58   Link #262
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Wow, the mangaka took only thirty-three chapters to actually put yuri in her yuri...

As much as I like the art of Girl Friends, the pace is so glacially slow that I've almost totally lost interest in it.

This whole story could have easily been told in half the current number of chapters with a loooot less teeth-gnashing and general frustration.
Old 2010-07-26, 19:29   Link #263
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Wow, the mangaka took only thirty-three chapters to actually put yuri in her yuri...
You say it as if it were a lot, 30 chapters is practically nothing for a romance manga, especially not one with 20 pages per chapter. I get that most yuri fans are used to one-shots and very short manga, but I'm personally tired of them and stuff like Aqua Blue Cinema and Ebisu-san & Hotei-san that end before they even start.

I guess it's a matter of taste, but if anything, I would consider Girlfriends to be pretty fast paced. But then again, Manga no Tsukurikata is my favorite yuri manga at the moment.
Revenger1589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 19:34   Link #264
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
As much as I like the art of Girl Friends, the pace is so glacially slow that I've almost totally lost interest in it.

This whole story could have easily been told in half the current number of chapters with a loooot less teeth-gnashing and general frustration.
Would you feel any different if the chapters were released weekly?

For whatever reason, I think that some people are actually more annoyed by the pace of the releases than by the pace of the story itself.
Old 2010-07-26, 23:50   Link #265
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

"Speed subs" are out.

Fuck yeah, Morinaga delivers, this chapter was so HNNGGGGGG inducing I almost died. Such a shame there's only one chapter left ;_;
Old 2010-07-26, 23:52   Link #266
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenger1589 View Post
You say it as if it were a lot, 30 chapters is practically nothing for a romance manga, especially not one with 20 pages per chapter. I get that most yuri fans are used to one-shots and very short manga, but I'm personally tired of them and stuff like Aqua Blue Cinema and Ebisu-san & Hotei-san that end before they even start.

I guess it's a matter of taste, but if anything, I would consider Girlfriends to be pretty fast paced. But then again, Manga no Tsukurikata is my favorite yuri manga at the moment.
Are you my unknown long-lost identical twin by any chance?

I was kind of frustrated at recent releases of "Aqua Blue Cinema" and "Ebisu-san & Hotei-san" that abruptly ended... (especially, especially the later one. Did i say "Ebisu-san & Hotei-san" is awesome in my book?)
Also got Manga no Tsukurikata in my favourite list at this moment as well

PS: Speed subs...? Damn... internal conflict again...
Old 2010-07-27, 00:01   Link #267
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

@risingstar

Lol, can't say I'm surprised, Liverpool fans have good taste

The speed subs are good enough, go for it.

Edit: Aqua Blue Cinema was very frustrating for me because of Otsu Hiyori, I was expecting a lot from her since Maple Love.
Old 2010-07-27, 03:36   Link #268
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenger1589 View Post
"Speed subs" are out.

Fuck yeah, Morinaga delivers, this chapter was so HNNGGGGGG inducing I almost died. Such a shame there's only one chapter left ;_;
My kingdom for the source!
Old 2010-07-28, 00:50   Link #269
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

http://www.makimakimanga.com/

Maki Maki released the chapter, for anyone who was waiting for it.
Old 2010-07-28, 04:06   Link #270
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Well those opening pages were a nice surprise, i must say. So much HNNNNGGGG in this chapter though, and i just know there's going to be so much more in the final chapter.
Old 2010-07-28, 06:56   Link #271
SidVicious
Anime addict

Loved chapter 34.
Old 2010-07-28, 12:54   Link #272
Used Can

Man, I'm really hoping for a good end. I really want a flash-forward with them being married and having kids through ips cells.
Old 2010-07-28, 13:26   Link #273
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Well how do I put it, guess I'll quote myself from the Umi no Misaki thread

Quote:
Nipples, nipples and well even more nipples!
That was hawt, loved that one panel where Akko kisses Mari on the nose just lovely and hawt at the same time.
Then the scene with Mari kissing a sleeping Akko is beautiful.
This manga is something else when it comes to these things.

Mari has thought it out quite abit, she knows her cute factor is there but gonna need insurance to keep Akko and what better to keep your other half around than through one's stomach!
Old 2010-07-28, 13:32   Link #274
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Man, I'm really hoping for a good end. I really want a flash-forward with them being married and having kids through ips cells.
Personally i'll be plenty pleased with an ending that just shows the two going onto college, together with more DAWWWW scenes that would wrap up how much they love each other. An epilogue would be nice, though with there only being one chapter left, i just don't want one to feel forced if it appears with the last few pages. Could work out nicely though.

Oh how i'm going to miss this series. It's been such a special treat waiting for each chapter, and having no idea how the next chapter would melt my heart.
Old 2010-07-28, 16:12   Link #275
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Oh how i'm going to miss this series. It's been such a special treat waiting for each chapter, and having no idea how the next chapter would melt my heart.
So true, I was looking forward to a new chapter of Girlfriends every month. Say what you want about it, but it was addictive.
Old 2010-07-28, 16:36   Link #276
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Would you feel any different if the chapters were released weekly?

For whatever reason, I think that some people are actually more annoyed by the pace of the releases than by the pace of the story itself.
Yes and no.

I think if chapters were released more often than once every two months, it would feel a lot less slow. However, I don't think it's the actual pace but just how the mangaka handles things.

I read Red String pretty regularly, and it's an ensemble cast romance webcomic. It's been going on for a few years now at about as fast as Girl Friends... Gina gets a chapter's worth out every month and a half to two months, usually. But I don't lose interest in it. The pacing of the story itself feels "just right."

I think my biggest problem with Girl Friends is what goes on when there's no romantic focus. It's just "cute girls doing cute things," but without the usual humor/zany schemes/Hilarity Ensues of moe-focused stories like K-ON! In Red String there's the ensemble cast element; there are multiple couples and the story focuses on all of them, never leaving the reader with what feels like pointless filler--and in Girl Friends case, product placement.

(short version: Girl Friends feels like a commercial for HBA items far too often.)

The whole Will They or Won't They thing also really frustrates me and reminds me too much of high school, but... they are in high school... so... maybe I should look for yuri with adult characters. But I don't think they really exist, since Japan seems to think lesbianism is strictly an affliction of teenage girls.

Last edited by synaesthetic; 2010-07-28 at 16:48.
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-06, 18:34   Link #277
russ026

Do we know what chapter the story is to end on?
russ026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-06, 18:42   Link #278
TalonK
Lets Grim Up People

According to the last page of chapter 34, chapter 35 will be the final chapter.
TalonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-17, 18:48   Link #279
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

@syn: Ah, I love your perspective. But personally, since that side of life (high school love) is something I never knew and never will, this cynical and weary soul finds it somewhat heartening to see an innocent, honest love that has to overcome social stigmas, insecurities, life itself, peer pressure. Life is usually very tense/draining for me - I rarely feel relaxed. Girl Friends allows me to relax, to allow a smile to form on my face and just swim in light for a while. Something to ease the pain of lifeache. I know where you're coming from, syn, as well as why. I've got my reasons for coming where I'm coming from.

Chapter 34 - delicately handled but still steamy in a good way. ^^ It wasn't gratuitous - it matched the style of those two characters and was believable. Just has me wondering what on earth would happen in the last chapter since the teaser was implying that either their entire last year of school is covered in 1 chapter.
Old 2010-08-20, 20:09   Link #280
GrimJack

for your viewing pleasure the cover of the latest issue of Comic High out today in Japan

http://comichigh.jp/img/201009/65.jpg

just a thought but that could be the cover of Volume 5

Last edited by monir; 2010-08-21 at 03:44. Reason: Please do NOT hotlink. Save the image on your harddrive and then upload it to an Image Hosting site.
GrimJack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seinen, yuri