Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-02-01, 03:23   Link #41
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Bah, maybe they didn't fix the Mac OS X print bug yet. They emailed me back today stating that they can't reproduce the error, and asking for more steps on my part. I can reproduce it each and every time, so I guess at least it makes generating crash logs easy :P I know other users have reported problems like this, so I know it's not too isolated an incident, either. Oh well, it feels nice to be able to contribute toward making Opera a better browser!
Thanks. I really hope they fix it for the sake of you and other OSX users. Does it happen when you print to printer, or only when you print to pdf?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-01, 09:56   Link #42
Phantasmagoria
*Author

Lol, I decided to try Opera out after seeing NoSanninWa's siggy (It's literally, everywhere!).

I love their tab browsing (open in a new tab, open in background tab), it saves you 0.5 seconds of your time depending on the usage, amazing options.

FF have the loading bar on the bottom on the browser, whereas Opera have it on the top. Hence, you can view another 0.5cm extra

In terms of speed, I didn't notice any difference, but the ergonomic designs of Opera simply makes your surfing more convenient, hence saving more time.

So far I have no complaints, just wondering if they support additional plug-ins like FF.

Some other notable mentions :

Speed dial << I love it <3

Wand << Oh well, FireFox has it too, a different name though.

The download[transfer] tool is excellent, definitely far surpasses that of FF.

FULL SCREEN. << This option is FULL-SCREEN, really. It goes, "Boom!" The web-page loads nothing but the page, lol. It's made of win!

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 2008-02-01 at 11:10.
Phantasmagoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-01, 19:24   Link #43
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Thanks. I really hope they fix it for the sake of you and other OSX users. Does it happen when you print to printer, or only when you print to pdf?
In Windows, I print to PDFs by selecting the "PDF printer" as my print device - something which must be installed separately. In OSX, being able to create PDFs is built into the OS. When you bring up the print screen, there's a little button that creates a drop-down menu labeled "PDF." My problem is that I don't even get a print screen at all. Whether I use the keyboard shortcut or select it from the File menu, Opera will sit for 2-3 seconds while I get the "thinking" cursor, and then the program crashes. No matter the webpage, it happens.

The Opera Mac team had seven questions for me, the last of which involved having me create a new user account on my system, install Opera to it, and test printing there. Interestingly, Opera had no problems opening the print dialogue on that account. I figured that it was just a 10.5 glitch, since Microsoft Word 2004 also had to be patched to stabilize some print issues. I guess there's a bit more to it. Hopefully they'll be able to get to the bottom of this, and it won't involve me having to back up my system and then customize everything all over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasmagoria
FF have the loading bar on the bottom on the browser, whereas Opera have it on the top. Hence, you can view another 0.5cm extra
This is actually customizable. I believe older Opera versions had it by default at the bottom of the webpage, but later they made it standard to be in the address bar. You can also disable it completely.

Quote:
So far I have no complaints, just wondering if they support additional plug-ins like FF.
They don't support plugins the way that FireFox does, but they do support what they call "Widgets." Widgets run through Opera, and many of them act almost like completely separate applications. For example, I used to use a widget that showed me video feeds from the San Diego Zoo, I believe - you could switch between the panda cameras, elephant, tiget, and orangutan. My girlfriend uses a weather widget (shows the 5-day forecast), a calendar widget, and her ultimate favorite - the Torus widget (3D Tetris).

As I said, they really are more like their own applications than something that integrates into Opera. From what I've seen, Firefox plugins integrate right into the browser, and you wouldn't know that it was an add-on. I've looked over the Firefox plugins and while there are some nice ones, practically all of the useful ones are already built into Opera in some form or another. Many people just don't realize it.
Old 2008-02-02, 17:17   Link #44
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
If you really love saving every centimeter, take a look at my Opera configuration:
There's only a little bit at the top of my screen that isn't webpage. I've even taken out the menu bar at the top and replaced it with a drop down menu. That's the button at the upper left. When I click on it, it will drop down the usual menus so that I don't have to allocate space to them. You can find similar buttons here. The skin I use is this one. I find it a beautiful blend of space effiencent and attactive.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2008-02-02, 17:43   Link #45
Generic Asian Guy
^_^

Send a message via MSN to Generic Asian Guy
That theme is gorgeous! Thanks

New snapshot as of Feb. 1, 2008:

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog...1/new-snapshot
Generic Asian Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 18:19   Link #46
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

I noticed the new snapshot, but I'm so happy that last weeks snapshot actually works for me that I'm hesitant to update to the latest.

Edit: I'm reading that people are having synchronization problems, so maybe I'll just stay away from this build.

Old 2008-02-02, 18:43   Link #47
Generic Asian Guy
^_^

Send a message via MSN to Generic Asian Guy
It's working pretty well for me so far =]

I use both Firefox and Opera equally, since I find they each possess merits: Firefox with its extensions and Opera with its sheer optimized interface and speed.

Internet Explorer, I've given up on that a long time ago xD
Generic Asian Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 20:19   Link #48
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
In terms of speed, I didn't notice any difference, but the ergonomic designs of Opera simply makes your surfing more convenient, hence saving more time.
I haven't used Opera for some time, as I am quite happy with Firefox 3, but before, the one problematic thing about Opera was the memory re-allocation. If you minimize the window and keep it there for some time, activating the window again would mean additional waiting time, even if there is a single tab being open.

So, in my case, if you are going to do something quickly and then close it, Opera may be a better choice, but, if you want to keep something open in the background, then Firefox is the better one. (of course, these are all subjective comments, since, they are based on my observations on the machine I am using)
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 08:22   Link #49
kucigaromeo
Hell Kitty
*Fansubber

Been using opera since they remove the ad. For slow internet connection Opera definitely the fastest since it doesn't wait for big chunk of the page before rendering. Opera quickly renders each small bits it gets. And I usually set show cached images only, so no images will be shown, and I'll click reload image in whatever image I want to see (yeah my connection is that slow).

Finally there's 64-bit Linux builds for 9.5, in build 1772 I'm using, it loads 32-bit plugins out of the box.

Before 9.5 I'm using konqueror(safari's cousin) that's way faster than opera in loading plain HTML but waaaay slower on javascript. Since using 32-bit opera on 64-bit linux use more memory than firefox.

And I'm posting this using opera mini 4 (Does opera mini-tan exists?)

my anidb list: http://anidb.net/u224323
Hidamari Sketch, Arts of Innocence
kucigaromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 08:44   Link #50
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Well does Opera-tan exist? Not as far as I know. ^^

Random Link of The Day ~ Opera Mini Emulator.
Old 2008-02-04, 05:32   Link #51
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Opera-tan may not be popular, but she definitely exists! Despire her lack of popularity, anyone who says otherwise is just being mean.

http://www.cjas.org/~leng/opera.htm

http://my.opera.com/ma31/blog/

http://orera.g.hatena.ne.jp/keyword/おぺらたん

Old 2008-02-04, 07:15   Link #52
Phantasmagoria
*Author

Another reason to continue using Opera.

<3

So, that's how the girl came about, impressive indeed.

It seems that my Opera doesn't support full-fledge WYSIWYG Editing?

Is there any way to make it work? It's kind of a problem..
Old 2008-02-04, 16:30   Link #53
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Opera-tan may not be popular, but she definitely exists! Despire her lack of popularity, anyone who says otherwise is just being mean.
There is -wiki- entry for that. Might be useful to help people know about its history or so...
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 14:24   Link #54
Phantasmagoria
*Author

I don't know if this is the right place to ask but, is there a way to customize your own speed dial with more than just 3x3 thumbnails?

(I have no access to their website for some reason.)
Old 2008-02-09, 16:26   Link #55
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Hm. I think I've read a few threads on this very thing. As I remember it... No.
There was some Opera-fan alternatives that pop up as the question gained popularity. For example, a website version.
(alternative ad version: http://files.myopera.com/gcampos/files/index.html)

(yes I get the Forbidden http error too; just refresh)
Old 2008-03-10, 10:40   Link #56
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Is there a way to Bypass the deafault Bit torrent software in Opera for downloads . I want everything I choose to download opened in my Bit Torrent Client/Software

EDIT : A Simple Tan Siggie

Last edited by Zu Ra; 2008-03-10 at 10:52.
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 10:57   Link #57
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Download .. Search from the list

>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 13:40   Link #58
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira_Naruto View Post
Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Download .. Search from the list

I'll provide the last steps (just in case you're totally lost):

Uncheck "Hide file types opened with Opera" and then in the box at the top start typing in "torrent" - you can stop when it appears. Select it and then click on "Edit." If you have a program installed and registered with your system as the default, select "Open with default application" and OK away. If you have a different program you'd like to specify, select "Open with other application" choose the application and OK away.
Old 2008-03-10, 14:20   Link #59
Shana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I'll provide the last steps (just in case you're totally lost):

Uncheck "Hide file types opened with Opera" and then in the box at the top start typing in "torrent" - you can stop when it appears. Select it and then click on "Edit." If you have a program installed and registered with your system as the default, select "Open with default application" and OK away. If you have a different program you'd like to specify, select "Open with other application" choose the application and OK away.
Thanks, I'm lost =]

But, I searched in the search option "torrent" and it didn't give any results, yet I tried to download a torrent from AnimeSuki a while ago and it tried to download by Opera. What's up with this?
Old 2008-03-10, 15:02   Link #60
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

I'll make it super simple:

Uncheck "Enable" here: opera:config#BitTorrent
Just uncheck that box and click save.

Tags
browsers, opera, software