AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-25, 05:07   Link #11601
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Most of the equipment we modded had never been combat-tested, save for the Bronco. And it apparently works, so I'm sure that British soldier isn't complaining.
Old 2011-01-25, 05:08   Link #11602
killer3000ad

Indian-American to be sentenced for selling stealth tech to China

Noshir Gowadia worked on the B-2 bomber project and helped develop it's propulsion system. He now faces life imprisonment.
Old 2011-01-25, 05:11   Link #11603
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The Isrealis are already trying to get a special version of the F-35.

And I believe the F-22 will not be replaced by the F-35, as the F-22 is still superior for air superiority. The F-35 is suppose to be cheaper and easier to maintian (aside from the F-35B it seems) as well as perform all the other takes, aside from air superiority, as well as the the F-22. Thought there may be changes to the F-22 production line if the F-35 doesn't deliver...or the goverment eases up on the "no foreign sales" policy after the Chinese J-20s are more fully understood.
Old 2011-01-25, 05:28   Link #11604
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Most of the equipment we modded had never been combat-tested, save for the Bronco. And it apparently works, so I'm sure that British soldier isn't complaining.
That is because the British don't have a tracked carrier vehicle for transporting recon teams....and they have to do a serious armour overhaul and rebuild the front windows with bulletproof glass, and replace the engine. I was thinking, shouldn't these things be built into the Bronco in the first place?

The most annoying thing is that the newspapers glorify it as though they are brilliant. When the first article for the SAR-21 came out, I thought it is a cool and good weapon.

Until I went for my first combat shoot with it. And I thought the M16S1 was lousy and requires lots of maintenance - the SAR takes it up to 11 with melting plastic magazines, closed chamber which prevents checking for a stuck cartridge, loose battery cap for the laser module (the genius who designed this component deserves to be shot....the battery cap automatically becomes loose due to weapon recoil so why isn't there something to secure it to the rifle?), no left-hand configuration, no bayonet mount, painted scopes (ever see the crosshairs peeling? I had. Crosshair 0 shooting ftw!)...and the list goes on-and-on.

And it is still "one of the most advanced rifles in the world" and ranked above the HK-416. The only thing advanced is the gas-tap system which reduces fouling due to dirty powder...but the additions to the weapon are nothing more than liabilities.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-01-25, 05:33   Link #11605
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Er ok, as far as I'm concerned, the SAR 21 is ok. Never had all those problems you mentioned. That said, any piece of equipment should be combat-tested, in the conditions where you see yourself fighting in, if not in the future, then at least in current conflicts. At least the Brits had the sense to do further modding.
Old 2011-01-25, 05:44   Link #11606
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Er ok, as far as I'm concerned, the SAR 21 is ok. Never had all those problems you mentioned. That said, any piece of equipment should be combat-tested, in the conditions where you see yourself fighting in, if not in the future, then at least in current conflicts. At least the Brits had the sense to do further modding.
For a carrier vehicle conventional ATW-proof armor-plating like hardened steel-ceramic sandwiches or ERA should be installed, and the glass has to be bulletproof glass. It is a no-brainer, so why do the Brits have to install them when they should already be available in the first place?

Come to think of it, it was genius. In a country with advanced levels of education and we are still building decadent equipment. I seriously wonder if they are more concerned about the budget or the lives of the soldiers on the battlefield.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-01-25, 06:10   Link #11607
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

When you have soldiers on the line, you have to be careful of what you boast. Why do you think the SAF has never deployed troops in combat roles overseas? Very few (even zero?) soldiers, from the lowest private to the highest general, in the SAF had actually fought in combat. In war, people die and things are put to the test. To claim anything in the military field without putting it to the ultimate test of war is, to me, irrelevant. Deeds, not words.
Old 2011-01-25, 06:14   Link #11608
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
When you have soldiers on the line, you have to be careful of what you boast. Why do you think the SAF has never deployed troops in combat roles overseas? Very few (even zero?) soldiers, from the lowest private to the highest general, in the SAF had actually fought in combat. In war, people die and things are put to the test. To claim anything in the military field without putting it to the ultimate test of war is, to me, irrelevant. Deeds, not words.
You got a point. Honestly though, can't wait for someone to complain about the SAR-exports sold by VT in US....I think it is high time to stop being a paper tiger.

Old 2011-01-25, 06:56   Link #11609
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
You got a point. Honestly though, can't wait for someone to complain about the SAR-exports sold by VT in US....I think it is high time to stop being a paper tiger.
In this aspect, I would only say that small states can only deter rational enemies. An enemy who is willing to go to extreme measures will destroy such states, even at great cost to himself. No matter how I look at it, I have yet to convince myself how we can stop a nuke detonating in our ports or over our skies, once any side puts his mind to delivering it to our doorstep.
Old 2011-01-25, 07:18   Link #11610
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Medvedev blames security lapse for Moscow blast
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1881669/
There's a couple of peoples than should fear for their job ...
Old 2011-01-25, 08:17   Link #11611
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
In this aspect, I would only say that small states can only deter rational enemies. An enemy who is willing to go to extreme measures will destroy such states, even at great cost to himself. No matter how I look at it, I have yet to convince myself how we can stop a nuke detonating in our ports or over our skies, once any side puts his mind to delivering it to our doorstep.
Two things.

1. We are looking at a CONSCRIPT army, not a professional one. Surely you're not going to hand out AK47s or M16s to every male citizen? Ever thought about cost?

2. If this was a professional army, the SAR21 would have gotten upgrades by now. But the SAR21 is supposed to be entry-level, so why bother when DSTA can go build nanobots for the 5th generation army or whatever MINDEF wants to call it.

Sidenote. Funny how when 2 Singaporeans meet on any thread on Animesuki, inevitably it turns to how terrible the SAR21 is.
Old 2011-01-25, 08:28   Link #11612
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Given the SAF's worries about manpower, I really wouldn't be surprised that if they DO decide to draft every man (and some women) into the forces. And costs be damned. Once the Defence Ministry wants it, it will get it.
Old 2011-01-25, 08:29   Link #11613
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

DSTA seems to think otherwise with its nanobots...
Old 2011-01-25, 08:33   Link #11614
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

We'll see how that one goes. But, given SH's points, I am not too optimistic.
Old 2011-01-25, 08:36   Link #11615
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

But, this is DSTA we're looking at. Surely they'll succeed. It's like MINDEF's own Google Inc.
Old 2011-01-25, 08:43   Link #11616
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

You know....

The natives have to turn somewhere once those cheap foreign imports complete their hostil takeover.

And guess which organisation is always in need of manpower ?
Old 2011-01-25, 08:53   Link #11617
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

A THIRD Singaporean? Didn't know there were that many on ASForums.

That aside, shouldn't MINDEF start profressionalising, given that what you've said? Then backed up with a GI Bill. Would help the lower class, I must say.
Old 2011-01-25, 09:04   Link #11618
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

China newspaper rejects J-20 stealth jet claim

And now they're claiming it's home made tech, not stolen tech.
Old 2011-01-25, 09:52   Link #11619
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
China newspaper rejects J-20 stealth jet claim

And now they're claiming it's home made tech, not stolen tech.
China counts "stuff we were able to steal" as homegrown tech, since they had to put effort into stealing it, which is sort of like developing it.
Old 2011-01-25, 10:23   Link #11620
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Everything arrives in China in knockdown form, so tech developed in fixing the pieces. IKEA would be proud of China's love of DIY.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international