AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-05-10, 00:08   Link #481
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Demon View Post
Question: Does season 1 correspond to book one, and season 2 to book two?
more or less, but they started changing quite a lot during the last few episodes
Old 2012-05-10, 06:17   Link #482
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Demon View Post
Question: Does season 1 correspond to book one, and season 2 to book two?
Pretty much yes but they tend to alter a few things in the series due to budget reasons and to make a storyline more understandable for viewers who haven't read the books.
Old 2012-05-10, 10:25   Link #483
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

the actor who plays joffrey is great. there's that "game of thrones facts" thing running around on 9gag, and apparently he's a nice kid outside of his character. so he does an immensely good job at changing himself completely.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-10, 10:46   Link #484
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
the actor who plays joffrey is great. there's that "game of thrones facts" thing running around on 9gag, and apparently he's a nice kid outside of his character. so he does an immensely good job at changing himself completely.
Jack Gleeson is a really nice person in real life. Heck, he's even under the Mean Character Nice Actor trope. Here's an interview of a movie he did before.

Old 2012-05-11, 15:34   Link #485
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Jack Gleeson is a really nice person in real life. Heck, he's even under the Mean Character Nice Actor trope. Here's an interview of a movie he did before.

It is driving me NUTS figuring out where his accent is from. Nice Guy though. I bet Kit Harrington is a right bastard in real life.
Old 2012-05-11, 18:34   Link #486
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

He's the kid from Batman Begins. I LOL'd when I found that out.
Old 2012-05-12, 16:53   Link #487
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
He's the kid from Batman Begins. I LOL'd when I found that out.
I knew I recognized him from somewhere. Good young actor.
Old 2012-05-13, 11:25   Link #488
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Just catching up to and currently watching episode 4 and I have to say there's something that's been bothering me a little. Does anyone find the women in this show to be kind of annoying? It's starting to feel like all they're doing is bitching and whining about everything the kings are trying to do and each principal character now seems to have some overbearing woman hanging around that does nothing other than bitch and whine at them while they're trying to do their job. The only interesting one so far IMO has been the priestess of the Lord of Light religion there. In fact just this latest episode Robb found one that was IMO incredibly disrespectful towards him and his efforts and didn't even try to understand what he's about and what he's fighting for in their first encounter. It's just like, "you're fighting and killing, therefore you're bad".

It's just starting to feel a little cliche Hollywood, like they feel the need to have all these "strong" female characters and yet they just come across as I said as annoying, bitchy and holier than though. I kind of hope this trend stops and we get back to focusing more on the men of honor (and treachery) and their Game of Thrones.

That's about the only thing I can say is bothering me with this season so far. It's just very hard not to notice when as I say it's literally like every principal character that has this going on right now. That said on the upside I'm actually starting to finally sympathize with Sansa's character. In the first season she was annoying and naive, but now seeing her have to constantly suffer at the hand of the Lannisters makes me feel she's more than paid the price for it already. Thank god Tyrion was there to put a stop to Joffrey's little horror show in the throne room before they did any serious damage.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 15:21   Link #489
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Just catching up to and currently watching episode 4 and I have to say there's something that's been bothering me a little. Does anyone find the women in this show to be kind of annoying?
No
Are you kidding me?

The women are half the reason why I find the show so enjoyable.
In fact, my only regret is that I wish women were given MORE industry in this show.
Aside from Daenerys and the Tannis' red witch who seem bent on carving their own path, all other women seem to react to the events around them instead of trying to create those event themselves.

I want more women taking charge and changing the landscape around them, not less.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 18:54   Link #490
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
@KaioshinSama: The setting is based on medieval european nobility, what did you expect
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 21:03   Link #491
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

That was an awesome episode. I feel bad for those neighbors.
Old 2012-05-13, 21:30   Link #492
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset View Post
No
Are you kidding me?

The women are half the reason why I find the show so enjoyable.
In fact, my only regret is that I wish women were given MORE industry in this show.
Aside from Daenerys and the Tannis' red witch who seem bent on carving their own path, all other women seem to react to the events around them instead of trying to create those event themselves.

I want more women taking charge and changing the landscape around them, not less.
Well that's precisely part of the problem, they don't do much of anything to be movers and shakers, but still feel like speaking up, insulting the kings and moaning and groaning whenever it suits them. The worst offenders probably being Tyrion's whore, Renley's wife, the nurse that was griping at Robb (what does she expect him to just sit their and wait for the Lannisters to come knocking at Winterfell's door?) after the battle and recently Theon's sister albeit to a far far lesser extent since she's actually going out and putting her life on line for the Iron Islands now.

There's a reason why as I said I find the Priestess to be interesting, and I've always been interested by Cersei and Daenerys because they actually do things and make power grabs instead of just being bitchy to their potential love interests. Sorry but I don't like the portrayal of the other female characters in the show so far where it's like they are trying to make it look like they are one upping the big players like Robb, Tyrion, Renley etc. in conversations when it's so imminently clear that the latter are by far the stronger characters in both their conviction and actions such that I have a hard time believing they are being bested verbally in this manner by these minor players. As I said it feels a little too cliche Hollywood and like they are trying to manufacture strong female roles instead of having them emerge through action and industry like the likes of Cersei and Daenerys.

Anyway from the looks if it we hopefully won't be getting any more of these scenes as the show moves towards the important parts of the second book. Can only be a good thing since it's not to it's strength at all IMO.

edit: Apparently the field nurse was an original character on the part of the show, which frankly does not surprise me to learn since she just feels so far removed from what the rest of the show is like. Seriously what was that scene between her and Robb? It was easily the worst and most out of place so far in this show and was actually the one that compelled me to post about the women issue. Please never ever do this again GoT, just stick to the script and characters from the book.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2012-05-13 at 21:41.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 21:52   Link #493
GDB

Quote:
edit: Apparently the field nurse was an original character on the part of the show, which frankly does not surprise me to learn since she just feels so far removed from what the rest of the show is like. Seriously what was that scene between her and Robb? It was easily the worst and most out of place so far in this show and was actually the one that compelled me to post about the women issue. Please never ever do this again GoT, just stick to the script and characters from the book.
This is the first I've heard of her being an original character.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 00:08   Link #494
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

To be fair, Robb is the one who started the war, and because of his personal reasons.
If he just agreed to make a (pseudo) oath to Joffrey, then everyone and everything would be fine (except Ned, of course).
The Lannisters couldn't care less about the North. If the Northern men didn't rebel, they would leave them alone.

The girl didn't criticize Robb because he's fighting and killing, but because he started a war without knowing how to end it.
Let's assume he win and kill Joffrey, so what? The realm is in a mess, how will he fix that?
Old 2012-05-14, 02:07   Link #495
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
This is the first I've heard of her being an original character.
She is an original character.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 02:59   Link #496
Kafriel
Senior Guest

She is indeed an original character. That makes the third people will have read about it :P
As for the women just whining around their men, I don't think that's true. Tywin does whatever he wants, Cersei is trying to rule her land without giving anything to Tyrion, Daenerys is pretty much an adventurer in her own right, Sansa is holding her role as eternal victim to Joffrey going Arthas on her, Lysa Tully had just a six year-old to look up to, Osha is Bran's guide of sorts and Asha/Yara is Theon's obstacle that he must surpass to gain his father's favour.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 04:23   Link #497
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
-snip-
Nope. I don't find it annoying but realistic since this is a medieval society where women don't have much rights as men and are expected to conform to their roles in society (eg.noblewoman, a loyal wife, kitchen wench, prostitute, etc). They can't just pick up a sword and fight like the boys to gain power since there's yet to be a women suffrage movement in Westeros and the only way they can gain power is to be politically savvy in the court.(Just like some rulers in the past that were controlled by their mothers or wives in Real Life)

The only reason some females in this series get to fight is because they were lucky or were in special circumstances. (eg.Arya due to having an understanding father, Yara as her father wanted a real Ironborn leader after his two older sons death)

Anyway, very interesting episode.

Spoiler for ep A Man Without Honor:
Old 2012-05-14, 10:50   Link #498
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

That was a good episode. Better watch out for those Undying! Or whatever they are called... lol.

And there was no sex! *gasp*
Old 2012-05-14, 11:12   Link #499
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 15:19   Link #500
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

I specifically liked the scene this week with Jaime and Caetlyn about oaths and the knights who swear them. The actor who's name escapes me really does a good job at portraying Jaime's exasperation at the idea of knights being sworn to honor. A man like him would only have such anger towards the concept if he too had once believed in such things. Could there be more to our dear snarky, sister-fucking, child crippler than we are first led to assume?

Tags
game of thrones, hbo