AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-07-02, 21:20   Link #21
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Wow. This is the worst of, like, anything I've seen since Gun-dou Musashi.

Also Kanetsugu looks way better in Hyakka Rouran.
Old 2013-07-02, 21:52   Link #22
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well a slow opening but not to bad it all most seems like a pre JoJo
Old 2013-07-03, 08:56   Link #23
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I picked this up at random from Crunchyroll and thought it was so ridiculously over-the-top that it might be worth watching for a while. I wish the women were more than male playthings, though. Maybe there will be some strong female characters, but the cast list looked pretty uniformly male.
I don't think this is that kind of a show. XD;; This is about a world where men are REAL MEN and women are REAL WOMEN which means they're either vixens or noble, pining damsels, but either way they know their place. Yeah. (Really, there's something endearing about the way these manga in particular wallow in this kind of male wishfulfillment and sexism... )

Quote:
You gotta love a guy who fights while smoking his pipe. Any speculation on what is in it, if anything at all? Maybe he just uses it to project a macho image like Macarthur?
I think it's just tobacco. Though he doesn't really seem to be actually smoking it...
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 09:55   Link #24
zztop

GET TO DA OXCAAAART!!!

Animated Schwartzenegger and Stallone would blend right into this show...
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 12:08   Link #25
AntonKutovoi

Just as I thought this show ended up pretty awsome. The animation at the beginning of episode wasn't very good, but it quickly became better. Though, to be honest, I thought that they'll animate this manga and yet the events are different (or maye they just messing with chapters? : )
http://www.mangatank.com/manga/gifu-...gatari/v1/c0/1
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-04, 03:17   Link #26
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
All I see are ponytails and muscles... This is a show full of beautiful hunks...

Anyway.... just one more episode...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-04, 20:31   Link #27
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Really, there's something endearing about the way these manga in particular wallow in this kind of male wishfulfillment and sexism...
If you say so. "Endearing" isn't really the first word I'd use to describe that attitude.

There was one featured coutesan who was a bit feisty, though I doubt she'll ever attain the heights of Kochou-neesan in Saiunkoku.

Quote:
I think it's just tobacco. Though he doesn't really seem to be actually smoking it...
Yes, it looks more like an affectation.
TL;DR…
Tobacco in Japan
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Did anyone else see a resemblance between the new President of Egypt, Aldy Mansour and the Court judge in this picture, and our two wide-bodied protagonists?

Those are the broadest shoulders I've seen on ordinary public figures in quite some time. I can see a tiresome media phrase forming about how "Egypt is sitting atop Mansour's broad shoulders."

I commented to myself while watching the episode that the mains have huge bodies. They physically dominate all the other males on the screen at all times.

Just look at those feet!

Saber Cherry, are you still going to watch this anyway?

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-07-04 at 21:42.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-04, 20:57   Link #28
SQA

After looking at the tops of their heads, I think something is missing...
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-05, 14:34   Link #29
kuromitsu

Quote:
If you say so. "Endearing" isn't really the first word I'd use to describe that attitude.
The attitude itself? No. But somehow the resulting manga gives me the urge to pat it on the head and say "that's nice, darling."

Quote:
Yes, it looks more like an affectation.
[tldr=Tobacco in Japan]The Portuguese brought tobacco smoking to Japan in 1542. That's merely fifty years after Columbus arrived in America bringing with him the crewman who is credited with being the first European smoker. Things didn't go well for Rodrigo de Jerez upon his return, though. He was imprisoned by the Inquisition for seven years on the argument that only Satan could enable him to breathe smoke from his mouth. By the time he was released, smoking had become a public pastime.

If this story is set sometime after the mid-16th century, then tobacco seems a likely bet.
Well, the incident that Kanetsugu mentions to his lord IIRC happened sometime in the 1580s, so I suppose that's close enough. Well, not that I expect historical accuracy from this show. (Especially not when the main character is Maeda Keiji, someone who was apparently already a larger-than-life figure before he passed into the world of legends and anecdotes. )

Quote:
I commented to myself while watching the episode that the mains have huge bodies. They physically dominate all the other males on the screen at all times.
While that's just the art style, it's somewhat justified in Keiji's case, he's said to have been a huge guy. That's also part of of the reason why his horse -pictured earlier- is such a monster, it was said to be exceptionally large and strong IRL. Well, in the legends, anyway.

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2013-07-05 at 15:20.
Old 2013-07-07, 04:38   Link #30
black_star
How should i say it?

God, I still don't know if I should watch this. Well, it's a break from the norm, I certainly know it, but is it actually good?
Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice! - Doquixote Doflamingo

MAL Twitter
black_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 11:41   Link #31
AntonKutovoi

Well, the second half of the episode was good, but the first half...

-First 7 minutes is a retelling of the first episode from Keiji's POV. Considering that amount of new scenes in it is 1 minute at best, it wasn't really interesting.

-Didn't like the story about how Keiji became a ronin. It was a bloody 23 chapters, dedicated to relationships of Keiji with Toshiie and cutting them all to the cold bath, which was the ending of it and done by Keiji, so he could escape from the clan isn't really the best decision. His protest to Toshiie's actions was done with the fists, not by the cold bath.
Old 2013-07-11, 14:58   Link #32
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Quote:
Saber Cherry, are you still going to watch this anyway?
Nope. There are enough new shows this season that I like (such as particularly Sunday without God and Kiniro Mosaic) that I won't bother with this one. I mean, I think the broad shoulders are pretty impressive, but I never watch shows just for the art style if I find the content boring.
Old 2013-07-12, 20:03   Link #33
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
The women here are really fierce.... and I like it.... plus their chest while carrying a wooden stick...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 17:47   Link #34
kuromitsu

I finally caught up with this... I'm kind of disappointed that Keiji turned out not being involved with the wife-fight after all. It would've been such a typical Keiji thing to do. Other than that, though, this anime is another proof that you just can't go wrong with Maeda Keiji. He's such a fun character even in a show like this.

I'm not surprised at Toyotomi Hideyoshi being evil, but I think this is the first time I've seen Maeda Toshiie being depicted as a bad guy. I wonder what other famous people we'll see as the story goes on...

And Namikawa Daisuke needs more roles where he has to shout in a deep and manly voice.
Old 2013-07-24, 04:28   Link #35
AntonKutovoi

Looks like pacing becoming normal. 4-th episode was really interesting.
Old 2013-07-24, 05:21   Link #36
kuromitsu

(Yay I'm not the only one watching this! )

Episode 4 was pretty good, the resolution will probably come next week. In any case, I like that Kanetsugu got to show off his smarts - I was worried that he'd be portrayed as just a badass even though he was known for his cleverness and good governance, but fortunately that's not the case; he might be a badass but he's clearly the brains of the duo (trio, if we count Kagekatsu).

I really liked the scene with Kanetsugu throwing the flower on the pyre, it was rather poetic.

Oh, and in the scene on the boat I sort of expected Kagekatsu and Kanetsugu to snap at Keiji for his mantle flapping in their faces. XD

What with Sekigahara being only ~10 years away, I hope we'll meet some key players of that conflict (what with Kanetsugu being heavily involved in the build-up). And I hope Date Masamune is in this, I really want them to enact one of my favorite anecdotes about Kanetsugu. (The one where Kanetsugu neglects to greet him when they meet, and later explains it with "we've met many times on the battlefield but I've only ever seen his back [ie. he was running away] so I didn't recognize him from the front." XDDDD)

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2013-07-24 at 05:31.
Old 2013-07-24, 05:28   Link #37
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm basically watching this for Namikawa Daisuke (more range than anyone active in the business right now, apart perhaps from Kazuhiko Inoue) but it's solidly entertaining in its own right.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 05:45   Link #38
kuromitsu

Namikawa is awesome, but Satou Takuya (Keiji) is doing a great job, too, especially considering that he's relatively young (only 29) and basically still a rookie, he's just starting to get main roles. And it doesn't hurt that it seems both are having a blast playing their characters.

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2013-07-24 at 05:55.
Old 2013-07-24, 05:49   Link #39
AntonKutovoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Namikawa is awesome, but Satou Takuya (Keiji) is doing a great job, too, especially considering that he's relatively young (only 29) and basically still a rookie. And it doesn't hurt that it seems both are having a blast playing their characters.
Well, to be honest, before show had started, I hoped that Akio Ohtsuka shall voice Keiji, like he did in audio-version of Hana no Keiji, but Takuya Sato is good.
As for Masamune, I think he was present in the Hana no Keiji manga, but I don't know about Kanetsugu to Keiji. I think he will appear as well.
Old 2013-07-24, 06:06   Link #40
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
As for Masamune, I think he was present in the Hana no Keiji manga, but I don't know about Kanetsugu to Keiji. I think he will appear as well.
Let's hope, then. xD Masamune is popular so I think most writers don't want to show him in a negative light, but this story has Manly Badass Kanetsugu as a main character who would definitely say something like this, so I keep my fingers crossed.

I also wish they'd show Sanada Yukimura and his famous line about Kantou having a million soldiers but not a single man among them (or something to that effect, I can't find it right now), but unfortunately I don't think the story will mention the siege of Osaka. :/

Tags
action, historical, shounen