AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-04-22, 02:12   Link #121
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

I find the premise of a non-generic good guy harem lead as the male protagonist interesting out of novelty, but if you'll pardon me asking: does he ever grow out of his lone wolf pretentiousness (or at least his pretentious assertions for his solitary nature)? I find it a bit juvenile and off-putting, candidly speaking, though I must confess that I've only had three episodes of the anime to serve as a guide, so I must apologize for my lack of background knowledge with regards to the LN.

I was thinking of probably picking this up (again, mostly due to the novel concept of not having a goody-two-shoes nor a lovable pervert lead), but I have 冴えない彼女の育てかた (Saenai Kanojo no Sodate Kata) on my plate as well with regards to non-fantasy LN titles to read, and I'm wondering if it'd be worth investing into this LN series.
Old 2013-04-22, 02:18   Link #122
kobester11

Ugh. I've been reading the spoilers(thanks flyingdagger) and it pains me that they just got closer by volume 6...
To top it off, the anime won't even be able to cover that part...

Last edited by kobester11; 2013-04-22 at 09:44.
kobester11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 11:16   Link #123
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemisphere View Post
I was thinking of probably picking this up (again, mostly due to the novel concept of not having a goody-two-shoes nor a lovable pervert lead), but I have 冴えない彼女の育てかた (Saenai Kanojo no Sodate Kata) on my plate as well with regards to non-fantasy LN titles to read, and I'm wondering if it'd be worth investing into this LN series.
I would suggest to keep watching the anime for now, then if you are still interested in what happens afterwards buy a single book.

The LN can have some pacing problems. There are occasional chapters which feel like filler material (ie: saika and hachiman going out during the summer to a movie - it only builds the saika x hachiman camp and demonstrate how Hachiman actually spent time with others during the summer break).

Spoiler:
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 11:27   Link #124
kobester11

I see. Looks like the author needs to pick some pace. This series kinda reminds me of Suzuka. I mean it really took a long time before the main heroine falls in love to MC. Which was painful to watch and many people will give up since nothing really is happening.
From the looks of it, the author seems to be going for this kind of development.
kobester11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 13:13   Link #125
icebreaker

Ugh I started on this novel few days ago and reached Volume 6 already. The protagonist is quite special given that emotionally dense protagonists are too common nowadays. From what I see this series started off as a parody of Haganai (the setting) which went on to become something completely different (harem-ecchis are seriously lame imo). Potentially a great series.

And I'm starting to doubt whether this is a romantic comedy. The title is "romantic comedy gone wrong" to begin with. Well I'll be glad to see a pairing in the end.
Also this author's naming sense for his characters....

Last edited by icebreaker; 2013-04-22 at 13:23.
icebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 14:18   Link #126
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebreaker View Post
And I'm starting to doubt whether this is a romantic comedy. The title is "romantic comedy gone wrong" to begin with. Well I'll be glad to see a pairing in the end.
Yeah I share the same thoughts.
Spoiler for using spoiler tag since I am too lazy to parse out what is spoiler and what is not:
Old 2013-04-22, 14:23   Link #127
icebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
Yeah I share the same thoughts.
Spoiler for using spoiler tag since I am too lazy to parse out what is spoiler and what is not:
Where did you read about v8? Isn't it unreleased? Or do you mean v7? This is going really wrong...
I sometimes wonder why would anyone do all these, but Hikigaya's answer is apparently "To not let anyone suffer more than I do".
Old 2013-04-22, 14:28   Link #128
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

v7, very very very bad typo. My excuse is that the two numbers are just right next to each other.
Old 2013-04-22, 14:35   Link #129
icebreaker

Quote:
v7, very very very bad typo. My excuse is that the two numbers are just right next to each other.
Haha.
Spoiler for About Yui:
Old 2013-04-22, 15:03   Link #130
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Quote:
Haha.
Spoiler for About Yui:

Spoiler:
Old 2013-04-22, 16:10   Link #131
NeutralZero

Whoa... nice spoilers...
really the rom com of this seires is just whack...
Say... Saika is 100% guy right? similar to Hideyoshi and not lke other characters that are actually female but hides it like the frined from oreshura...
As of the current volume, what is Hachiman's general standing or how other side chara sees him? Did they have a better impression of him or it just keep getting worst?
NeutralZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 16:44   Link #132
blackwhite67
Banned

Perhaps the climax of this series will be when their relationship reaches a breaking point with Hachiman's sacrifice and his friends' inability to accept his suicidal methods.
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 17:05   Link #133
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZero View Post
Whoa... nice spoilers...
really the rom com of this seires is just whack...
Say... Saika is 100% guy right? similar to Hideyoshi and not lke other characters that are actually female but hides it like the frined from oreshura...
As of the current volume, what is Hachiman's general standing or how other side chara sees him? Did they have a better impression of him or it just keep getting worst?
Spoiler:

Spoiler for for size: v6 cover I can stare at this all day:

edited for btr wording.

Last edited by Flying Dagger; 2013-04-22 at 19:52.
Old 2013-04-22, 20:23   Link #134
All Fiction

Wow, Hachiman really does sound like a dark knight from reading these spoilers. Now I see the reason why he won 4th place in Kono LN ga Sugoi's male MC ranking last year.
Old 2013-04-22, 23:42   Link #135
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
I would suggest to keep watching the anime for now, then if you are still interested in what happens afterwards buy a single book.

The LN can have some pacing problems. There are occasional chapters which feel like filler material (ie: saika and hachiman going out during the summer to a movie - it only builds the saika x hachiman camp and demonstrate how Hachiman actually spent time with others during the summer break).

Spoiler:
Pacing problems? I see.

On the whole, would it be detrimental to my potential enjoyment of this title if I'm not too keen on shipping couples? I'm mostly into character interactions, for the most part.

Quote:
Ugh I started on this novel few days ago and reached Volume 6 already. The protagonist is quite special given that emotionally dense protagonists are too common nowadays. From what I see this series started off as a parody of Haganai (the setting) which went on to become something completely different (harem-ecchis are seriously lame imo). Potentially a great series.

This would also the other reason as to why I'm interested in this series, aside from the novelty of not having a generic male lead. It doesn't carry itself like every other harem-ecchi series out there (way too many of them to count now), and that's somewhat interesting to me.
Old 2013-04-23, 01:01   Link #136
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Quote:
Pacing problems? I see.

On the whole, would it be detrimental to my potential enjoyment of this title if I'm not too keen on shipping couples? I'm mostly into character interactions, for the most part.

This would also the other reason as to why I'm interested in this series, aside from the novelty of not having a generic male lead. It doesn't carry itself like every other harem-ecchi series out there (way too many of them to count now), and that's somewhat interesting to me.
If you want to see character interaction then I would go ahead and buy a volume (try something like volume 4 (at least I think that volume is a good representative of what to expect)). As part of the "pacing problem" is also caused by the MC spending time interacting with various members of the class (unwillingly unless its Saika). The novel goes into describing Hachiman's concept of living in solitude and how he sees the world through his eyes (and this is something they haven't really shown in the anime - people aren't interested in hearing a minute long soliloquy).
Old 2013-04-23, 01:28   Link #137
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Hmm. I see what you mean now. It makes sense for a protagonist who's so aloof and solitary (and who also drives the majority of the plot, I take it) to be reluctant when it comes to associating with people, and in turn slow down the pacing of the story.

It makes sense, in an odd way. Also, thank you for the recommendation; I'll try to look around for some preview pages off of the publisher's website or something before I make a purchase and see if the writing style fits my preferences.
Old 2013-04-23, 01:36   Link #138
terribad

Quote:
I'm interested in the answer too as I'm pretty much in the same boat when it comes to romantic comedies. Although I enjoyed what's available of the manga and LN partly for the interesting character interactions, it's too early for me say the author's focus on said interactions will stay the same for 6-7 volumes. Though I'm not a true neutral when it comes to couples, I'm more biased towards no hugging no kissing (tv tropes). Purely because romances tends to follow the rule of drama (tv tropes) or appeal to your emotions rather than reason. For romantic relationships I sort of have a heart of stone so I can only enjoy them through analysis.

Last edited by terribad; 2013-04-23 at 01:50.
terribad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 03:09   Link #139
NeutralZero

Will the anime reached v4?
and what volume did the rumors about Hachiman started? and his reaction to it....
NeutralZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 03:11   Link #140
icebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by terribad View Post
I'm interested in the answer too as I'm pretty much in the same boat when it comes to romantic comedies. Although I enjoyed what's available of the manga and LN partly for the interesting character interactions, it's too early for me say the author's focus on said interactions will stay the same for 6-7 volumes. Though I'm not a true neutral when it comes to couples, I'm more biased towards no hugging no kissing (tv tropes). Purely because romances tends to follow the rule of drama (tv tropes) or appeal to your emotions rather than reason. For romantic relationships I sort of have a heart of stone so I can only enjoy them through analysis.
Up till Volume 7, the protagonist is totally on logic's side towards emotional relationships. Up to the point it made me wonder if this is a romantic comedy or romantic tragedy. My personal opinion is that the romantic part of this series is progressing very very slow, and the whole series is more into analyzing how interaction between different people with different personality would result in.

Tags
club, comedy, delayed release date, dramedy, fake harem, gagaga bunko, harem, hinedere, kuuderes, philosophy, romance, school life, slice of life, social psychology, train wreck