AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-06-20, 00:15   Link #21
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

^
Just wondering, which route did you take? Because general consesus dictates, Misha > all lol.

Personally, I put Ar Tonelico around 3rd-4th best game in PS2. (Persona 3 first, Romancing SaGa second) It has IMO an intriguing story (at least Misha's was aboslutely fantastic), and undoubtedly the best musical score I have heard in a video game period. However, for me it loses major points because the battle system, while fun, is a bit bland in the end. And having a very easy difficulty, it drops down a few notches even more.

(As a side note, its contender for my 3rd place game, FFXII, is the exact opposite for me. The story isn't its major strength, while the score is a bit bland really. But wow, the battle system was refreshing, and some of the bosses are just downright difficult when facing them.)

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-20, 01:13   Link #22
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I'm in love with Misha, lol

Aurica is too... I don't know, she feels like "used goods" lol, Misha's compassion, won me over. And I love the lolicon jokes, lol
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-20, 01:59   Link #23
MeganeShounen
Huh?

Hmm...?

I went with Misha's story for the most... then I suddenly switched to Shurelia's surprise ending. Just because I was "touched" by her pseudo-cosmosphere events.

And me thinking "Here is Shurelia, who has been waiting alone for god-knows-how-long. Why not give here a break?"

Yes, I took Shurelia over Misha who has been Lyner's girlfriend for a greater part of their current lives. I'm that spontaneous.
MeganeShounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-20, 09:53   Link #24
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

You're no better than Lyner. Abandoning Misha just because he's all obsessed with being a Knight...hmph!

彌紗様の為に!
Old 2008-06-20, 23:09   Link #25
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

lol, yeah Shurelia is cute, but Misha... I dunno, everything about her makes me wanna like hug her and protect her. When she got back the chronicle key, and she decided to sing again.. and when she started singing, and Lyner tried talking to her but she couldn't respond... that made me wanna cry
Old 2008-06-21, 02:13   Link #26
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Shurelia has the dibs for being the most attractive heroine of the game for me, bar none. Non-loli DFC ftw! XD

That said, she's nowhere near Misha in my moe metre. Then again, there's noone I can think of, be it from an anime or a game, who can beat her lol.

Now if I was playing Aurica's path, I have no qualms about Lyner dumping her for Shurelia...

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 07:23   Link #27
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

When I reloaded my data to see what it would be like if I went with Shurelia instead of Misha... I felt like I died a little inside... lol
Old 2008-06-21, 07:42   Link #28
MeganeShounen
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
When I reloaded my data to see what it would be like if I went with Shurelia instead of Misha... I felt like I died a little inside... lol
Huh? So I was the only one who was content with Shurelia's ending?
Damn, was it her loli looks? Or her silvery hair? Or her nigh-childlike behavior? Or her Master-Knight relationship with Lyner? Or...

*Meganeshounen is hauled off by random people while expounding on Shurelia's finer points...*
MeganeShounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 07:55   Link #29
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganeShounen View Post
Huh? So I was the only one who was content with Shurelia's ending?
Damn, was it her loli looks? Or her silvery hair? Or her nigh-childlike behavior? Or her Master-Knight relationship with Lyner? Or...

*Meganeshounen is hauled off by random people while expounding on Shurelia's finer points...*
No, I felt like I like Shurelia, its nothing to do with her... its hurting Misha, thats what made me die inside, lol
Old 2008-06-21, 08:03   Link #30
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
No, I felt like I like Shurelia, its nothing to do with her... its hurting Misha, thats what made me die inside, lol
Same here! I just checked it out to see what Shurelia's ending was like, and after it left a somewhat bitter, acrid taste in my mouth, I went with Misha-sama's. Hated Lyner's denseness, but since I had to put up with it for the whole game, meh, but loved every single second of Misha-sama!
Old 2008-06-21, 08:12   Link #31
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

The lovely Misha is obviously the favorite of the fans of this series, I could understand completely, I too instantly fell for her.

I know I'm not the only one that is addicted to the music in this game... I play the sound track every chance I get, lol.
Old 2008-06-21, 19:11   Link #32
mandarb916

Well...if you count the 2 Mishas as one individual, then Misha takes the cake. If you count the 2 Mishas individually, Shurelia usually wins out by a long shot, atleast on the Toukousphere that Gust/Banpresto has setup for AT1/AT2.

The music is indeed amazing and it's on heavy rotation atm in my music jukebox (hell, I upgraded my audio system because of AT1/AT2). I've really enjoyed Shikata Akiko's works in the past, though Navagatoria sounded a little bit too...mainstream (rectified in RAKA), and the vocal track for this game was no exception.

I think, though, Shurelia is the most blatant flag breaker in any game I've played that had as a part of, or was a dating/romance adventure.

I have a feeling AT2 is in purgatory due to licensing as Gust has a few job openings on their websites pertaining to both domestic and international licensing. I think AT3 might be announced in the next 6 months (probably for PS3) as Gust also has a job opening for a PS2 graphic designer for their next title (and Mana Khemia 2 was just released...so don't think it'd be for MK3)...

anyone cleared the Distiara(sp? i only played the jpn version) ed? If you go too far into the story, you can't opt for it so have to face 3 bosses in a row without being able to rest and/or recover so I haven't finished it yet...
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 20:44   Link #33
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

If the company is hard up for money, they will NOT produce for the PS3. Also, during an interview with one of the head guys, they say that they won't work on a next gen console unless they know that the console is doing well and all that jazz. And since its a japanese based company that make japanese rpgs, take a wild guess as to which system its most likely to produce for?
Old 2008-06-22, 01:35   Link #34
mandarb916

oh crap...my fat fingers pressed "3" instead of "2"...yeah they're hiring for a PS2 graphic designer (the "PS3 preceeding that should have been "PS2")

the thing is, though, Aurica/Misha/Shurelia are confirmed to be in X Edge as well as a few characters from Atelier Marie and Mana Khemia so Gust should have some hands-on time with developing for the PS3 on someone else's coin. Considering the battlesystem looks similar to AT/AT2 in terms of layout from the small screens seen so far, I don't think it'd be a long stretch to actually develop AT3 for PS3. Add to that, 2D games can actually look quite gorgeous in 720p....take a look at some screens for Agarest Senki and Tears to Tiara. So in that regards, I'm hoping they opt to go PS3...Agarest, which was essentially a dating sim and RPG bundled together, with rather poor marketing and a new IP managed to sell reasonably well so the market is there.

But yeah...like i said...Gust is hiring for a PS2 graphic designer so...yeah...thank god i found an NTSC-J 60gb PS3 for cheap :P
Old 2008-06-22, 03:24   Link #35
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

If Gust / Banpresto ever develops for the PS3, it won't be for a long time. PS3 is still not doing too well, its like the Gamecube of this generation. And its also real expensive to develop for as well, the company is too small to afford such a project. I could see them making games for PSP, DS, PS2 and Wii.
Old 2008-06-22, 03:46   Link #36
mandarb916

Quote:
If Gust / Banpresto ever develops for the PS3, it won't be for a long time. PS3 is still not doing too well, its like the Gamecube of this generation. And its also real expensive to develop for as well, the company is too small to afford such a project. I could see them making games for PSP, DS, PS2 and Wii.
Gust/Banpresto are codeveloping an RPG for PS3 that's coming out in Sept alongside i think it was capcom, BanNam, and Compile Heart, so the bulk majority of the groundwork for the battlesystem will probably be laid down for a relatively straight forward transition...not that they're actually going that route, but if they stick with the current AT battle systems, it's not completely out of the question.

Considering Agarest Senki broke even at 3000-4000 copies sold (LTD is hovering around 30k copies sold), and the graphic quality being more or less similar between Agarest Senki and Ar Tonelico, no, I don't believe the development cost on PS3 for a game of this level would be as cost prohibitive as you make it out to be.

I highly doubt they'd go the FF13 route in terms of graphic quality as that'd completely ruin the atmosphere AT1 and AT2 had created and obviously it's at this caliber that it becomes cost prohibitive to produce.
Old 2008-06-22, 03:59   Link #37
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Its not just development cost, although PS3 is still the most expensive of the 3 current gen consoles. Its also popularity, companies like this tend to follow whichever has the highest user base, particularily in their homeland, and right now its the Wii (or maybe I should say DS? But, since we're not talking mobile). It has the highest userbase worldwide, and the cheapest development cost. I could understand that you would want them to make a game for the PS3, if thats the console you have. But realistically speaking the Wii have a higher likelihood of being produced for. Once they decide to move away from the PS2. In the end, popularity always wins out in console wars.

Look at Square for instance... they are sexing up nintendo's consoles like theres no tomorrow, simply cause they are the most popular. FF13 is the only game that is in development, other than hack ports to the PSP that is.
Old 2008-06-22, 04:15   Link #38
mandarb916

Wii, while in an absolute numbers sense has a huge number of consoles sold, I don't believe for an instant that the niche market that a title like AT1/AT2 caters to is that large on the Wii.

Considering how important hymns/songs are in AT1/AT2 and the fact that both were touted as having Dolby Pro Logic II 5.1, I think the chances of it going to Wii are slim to none since the Wii only does simulated surround.

PS2/PS3 I don't really care...I just don't want to be stuck playing it for hours on end with the god awful 360 controller :|
Old 2008-06-22, 04:23   Link #39
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

The wii is capable of Dolby Prologic ll Surround Sound, which is capable of producing the same quality as 5.1. So that argument within itself is null.

Because most Gust / Banpresto, if not all of their games are niche market games, they can't afford to spend a shit load of money on a PS3 project. The intelligent move (if they decide to go current gen) is in fact the wii.

I do agree that the XBox controllers are indeed god awful, but thank god japanese developers don't like producing for MS.
Old 2008-06-22, 04:43   Link #40
mandarb916

Quote:
The wii is capable of Dolby Prologic ll Surround Sound, which is capable of producing the same quality as 5.1. So that argument within itself is null.
No
Dolby Pro Logic II is strictly emulation of surround sound from a stereo source
Dolby Digital PLII (which is what the PS2 has, and what the PS3/360 are capable of and what AT1/2 have) are capable of true 5.1.

While PLII is capable of decent 5.1 emulation, it's just that...emulation. I highly doubt Gust/Banpresto would want to go backwards in audio formats considering their heavy focus on the aural aspect of the game.