AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-12-18, 15:45   Link #521
Kirarakim

I finally finished this today (after putting it on hold for a very long time) and I have to say I really liked it. It didn't end up being what I expected going in but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I will admit it was a bit flawed perhaps there was one too many characters and one too many ideas but overall there was still a lot of interesting ideas and characters. And I especially loved how the anime focused on the human aspect of the story. And while I found Lain interesting this story appealed to me a lot more because of the characters and character interactions.

I did feel some things in the last episode were rushed but I didn't mind the "happy ending". We don't know what is to come for these characters but at the very least they have a "chance" to be happy. What the future brings will be up to them.

And personally I thought it was nice to see how far Taro, Miyako, Masakyuki, Makoto, and Michio came from the beginning of the series (okay Michio did not get the screentime the other characters did but it was nice to see how close him and Masayuki grew).

So overall I really liked this one
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-18, 21:09   Link #522
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

A very, very underrated series IMO - one of the most intellectually layered and disturbing series in many a year. Loved the character designs and the opaque plot, sound design off the charts and often superb animation.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-26, 12:35   Link #523
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

I really miss this show. Wish it had a second season or something.
SquirrelLuvsPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-10, 15:16   Link #524
qwertyuiopz

ghost hound is so underviewed!
theres a few unanswered questions that id still like to know
and the last few episodes seem rushed
but it doesnt detract from the overall show
the climax/build up got me really pumped
its #2 of my top 5!
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-11, 19:01   Link #525
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Ah - another Ghost Hound post! I love this series and I wish more people appreciated it.
Old 2009-05-12, 16:35   Link #526
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

I like it a lot, even though I was expecting something completely different. Shirow Masamune and Production I.G. strike again.

I especially liked how the series ended, I can't really say why. If it was any other series, I'd want to throttle the director for that whole "everyone laughs" scene, but it somehow fit with the surreality of the entire plot.
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 16:57   Link #527
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Exclamation Ghost Hound is licensed

From ANN: Sentai Filmworks has informed retailers that the following shows will be released in the fall: Clannad ~After Story~, He Is My Master, Ghost Hound, A Little Snow Fairy Sugar and Popotan.

The first DVD set will ship in October and will be sub only.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 17:03   Link #528
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Just heard, great news. Will buy because i wouldn't mind rewatching this great series again. Still a huge shame a soundtrack was never released.
Old 2009-07-28, 17:53   Link #529
Dop
Mmmm....

Excellent news! Definitely on my 'to buy' list.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-29, 00:15   Link #530
qwertyuiopz

wowweee licensed!
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-29, 10:27   Link #531
Kirarakim

Omg Wow I never would have expected this in a million years. In fact I would have missed that this series was licensed if I didn't see that the thread had moved.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 00:00   Link #532
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Today, I hooked up my new HDMI capable laptop to my Panasonic plasma for the first time. Opened up an episode of Ghost Hound, in full glory with the big speakers - squeeeee! Massively powerful seeing it that way. Best sound design of any series ever, IMO.
Old 2009-09-16, 03:33   Link #533
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Today, I hooked up my new HDMI capable laptop to my Panasonic plasma for the first time. Opened up an episode of Ghost Hound, in full glory with the big speakers - squeeeee! Massively powerful seeing it that way. Best sound design of any series ever, IMO.
Nice, that would be interesting to experience.

& yeah i agree best sound design, easily. Just a shame there never was a soundtrack release for this series.
Old 2009-10-02, 22:07   Link #534
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I just completed my second viewing of this series, and I must admit I loved it just as much the second time. Armed with knowledge of future events the plot feels much more coherent and less confusing. All of the elements that were stellar on first viewing - character design, animation, sound design, casting - hold up 100%. I stick to my guns on this one - this is a great series.

Really, though, the most amazing element to me is Production I.G. itself. To have released both GH and Seirei no Moribito in the same year... Wow. That's an incredible artistic achievement for a studio.
Old 2010-02-07, 03:30   Link #535
strategos

Just finished this series. WoW, it was amazing. I seriously enjoy it a lot. Good plot; seems the last episode was rush but still good. I was kind of laughing at the end when Michio took some of the small spirits to use them as bait. It was kind of funny, because they looked like headless chickens. It reminded me of this old email chain spam that used to said that KFC used to cultivate headless chickens :P.

http://www.viz.com/apps
http://www.hulu.com
strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 00:13   Link #536
Zyan

Just finished Ghost Hound episode 17.

Posting because I did not expect to see the masterpiece, Garden of Earthly Delights, by Hieronymous Bosch to appear in episode 17 at the end.

Wonder what that signify?
Zyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 23:53   Link #537
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I just finished this one. Truly a one of a kind anime, don't think I've ever seen one quite like it before. It can be genuinely creepy, which is pretty hard to pull off in animation. The first few episodes took some getting used to, but by the midway point you're just sucked in completely. Pretty much every plot point they introduced eventually intersected and bore fruit by the end.

2007 sure was a banner year for anime.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-16, 00:22   Link #538
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

IMHO the best anime year ever. And Ghost Hound is a criminally underrated gem.
Old 2014-07-19, 03:33   Link #539
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Thanks, you two, for reminding me of this series. I realized I never finished it, despite being extremely impressed at the time for the first few intense, mysterious episodes. And yes, that includes the spectacularly oppressive sound design.

Time to put it back on the agenda.

From your reactions it seems that the series wrapped itself quite well: that ended my biggest possible concern about it. This kind of series is absolutely easy to screw up, horribly, and give either overly mundane explanations to the mysteries or none at all.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-02, 20:55   Link #540
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Finally finished this show. I wanted to back in 2007/08 but never got around to it. I'm sad I missed out, but glad I've seen it now. I really enjoyed it. I did feel some disconnect in a few places and wish it kept the darker undertones from earlier on, but this was a great show. The music and audio really made the show.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, production i.g.