AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 44 31.65%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 45 32.37%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 27 19.42%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 8.63%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 5.76%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.72%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.44%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-29, 10:27   Link #181
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Standing off in the distance. You can see her in costume near Haruhi's head. Either she didn't go with them, or when given the "retreat" order she used her speed to full advantage.
I saw that from the first viewing of the live stream. You'll also notice that she's not there in the SOS-dan reaction shot to the appearance of Priest-zilla. She must've thought "Oh this has bad idea written all over it. How about I go stand way over there and join you once it stops raining pigeon crap?"
Old 2009-08-29, 10:34   Link #182
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Ah...the picture was just an broken red X when I typed that.
Old 2009-08-29, 10:38   Link #183
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

You know, this arc has them shooting off [toy] guns in public a lot. Sometimes at innocent bystanders. You'd think they'd get in trouble or something lol

Heminga13: Speculating and anticipating 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' movie since August 3, 2009.
Old 2009-08-29, 10:41   Link #184
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
THEY GET AWAY WITH IT BECAUSE HARUHI-SAMA WILLS IT SO!

... Actually it's just because they run away a lot and no one catches 'em.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-08-29, 10:43   Link #185
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Hmm...

Sorry to bring up the whole K-On-ification issue again. I'm not that big on visual aspects, as plot and character development are more important to me, but these are my thoughts on the matter:

Mikuru actually looks better with the slight K-On-ification

Nagato isn't really that noticable unless you put them side by side, so I don't think it's much of an issue for her.

Kozumi and Kyon loked terrible when they were K-Onified, but that was only in that one episode of Endless Eight, and they haven't been really modified that much from the original since- which is a good thing I think.

Haruhi is the most noticeable- particularly since there are several scenes that make her look a lot like Yui. Personally I prefer the older version of Haruhi, but watching Sighs I have to say that the K-On-ification can work, if only because the contrast between Haruhi's cute exterior and her jerkish behavior are really played up by the art shift.

So I guess I can get used to it.

What I'm really sad about is Tsuruya. She also seemed slightly K-On-ified in this episode. Especially her face which is more round, and her hair which is less... bishoujo? If that's the right word for it. Maybe it's just because I haven't got used to it yet, but it saddened me because I think Tsuruya's elegant outward appearance combined with Genki Girl personality really was a nice contrast.

Ryoko had a similar contrast going on, I hope she doesn't get K-On-ified too.

Anyway, Tsuruya's appearance was what I think was new this episode in the whole K-On-ification debate.

Not that a small issue like this will turn me away from watching, but maybe Kyo-Ani is losing it's touch. I'd hate for them to become pigeon-holed into one type of animation style.
Old 2009-08-29, 10:55   Link #186
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post

Haruhi is the most noticeable- particularly since there are several scenes that make her look a lot like Yui. Personally I prefer the older version of Haruhi, but watching Sighs I have to say that the K-On-ification can work, if only because the contrast between Haruhi's cute exterior and her jerkish behavior are really played up by the art shift.
After watching episode 12... I don't see where Haruhi is K-Onified in this episode. Many of her facial expressions are just about identical to her facial expressions in the classic 2006 style. Also, Haruhi has regained her somewhat unique open smile, which had been Yui-fied for a while.

The only K-On-ifed element that remains is lack of line definition (such as broken closed smiles - i.e. instead of one solid line for the smile, we have a half-smile line and then a little bit more line added in after a break). Other than that (and it's not even constant - frequently, you do have line definition), Haruhi looks to be back on 2006 model to me. Aside from degree of line definition, is there anything about Haruhi's look in this episode that makes you think K-On or Yui?

As for line definition... well, it's such a small part of the artwork, that if everything else is the way I like it, I'll let it slide.

Quote:

Not that a small issue like this will turn me away from watching, but maybe Kyo-Ani is losing it's touch. I'd hate for them to become pigeon-holed into one type of animation style.
I agree with you here. However, I'm pretty much happy with the art style in this episode.
Old 2009-08-29, 11:37   Link #187
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

For the Mikuru Beam scene, Yuki crossed that entire distance in about six steps touching the ground.
Old 2009-08-29, 11:41   Link #188
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Okay, this episode was a LOT better than the last two. I honestly can't think of any problems, other than the fact that Tsuruya looked like a cardboard cutout when Haruhi was yelling on the phone.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.

Last edited by Kogetsu Shirogane; 2009-08-29 at 12:02.
Old 2009-08-29, 11:53   Link #189
Xiomay
Bazinga~!

Send a message via AIM to Xiomay Send a message via MSN to Xiomay
I don't know if this was mentioned before, but I was wondering if, in the scene where Haruhi hits Mikuru with the plastic megaphone, whether part of her rant towards Mikuru was a subliminal message to Kyon saying "Hey! I can be as cute as her too if I wanted to!"

A bit off topic, but I was just wondering if there was anyone else that thought so too when they saw this scene.
Old 2009-08-29, 11:59   Link #190
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

I liked the fact that it looked like Haruhi was about to whack her in the head, stopped just short and tapped her.

You know, so they keep the requirement of Haruhi hitting her on the head without making her look like a monster.
Old 2009-08-29, 12:06   Link #191
TMSIDR
Haruhi's Minion

I also think that the "rerun" get s better and better and I really liked the new Tsuruya-san. Her K-On! touch fits her fine I think. The only thing that bothers me a little bit, is that the characters do not blink as much as in 2006. But this might be just my bad memory .

It wonders me that nobody mentioned here that this episode really has some great John Woo references with the whole white doves -> pigeons thing and her double pistols. So that for the sake of completion I mention it now^^.
Old 2009-08-29, 12:09   Link #192
4as
ForUs

Send a message via MSN to 4as

SOOOOOOO CUTE
I think I'll vectorize it and make a wallpaper out of that screeny.
Old 2009-08-29, 12:09   Link #193
siber222000
미, 미, 미 미쿠루빔~!!!

kinda getting pissed off at haruhi as this arc goes on, but LOL mikuru beam was the best.
Old 2009-08-29, 12:11   Link #194
Peanutbutter

Haruhi in the battle waitress outfit? Yes! I find it cute that Haruhi is peeved at Kyon molesting her with his eyes. Now we need some images of Haruhi in that costume.
Old 2009-08-29, 12:13   Link #195
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSIDR View Post
I also think that the "rerun" get s better and better and I really liked the new Tsuruya-san. Her K-On! touch fits her fine I think.
Tsuruya looks awesome no matter what style she's in! Anyone denying that must suffer the wrath of BaTsuruya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by siber222000 View Post
mikuru beam was the best.
... poor Nagato...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
Haruhi in the battle waitress outfit? Yes! I find it cute that Haruhi is peeved at Kyon molesting her with his eyes. Now we need some images of Haruhi in that costume.
That visual data would be... intriguing...
Old 2009-08-29, 12:28   Link #196
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4as View Post

SOOOOOOO CUTE
I think I'll vectorize it and make a wallpaper out of that screeny.
It's a really cute shot. Love how Haruhi is crossing her arms over her breasts. I have to admit that I get a chuckle out of the poetic justice of she who constantly plays up Mikuru's sex appeal feeling ogled a bit herself for a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
That visual data would be... intriguing...
Agreed. That's one piece of artwork that I'd really like to see someone attempt!
Old 2009-08-29, 12:37   Link #197
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

If it were anyone but Kyon, he'd probably be dead.
Old 2009-08-29, 12:45   Link #198
Xhokhusmak

Mikuru Beam was just Haruhi giving shit back to Kyon.
Old 2009-08-29, 13:14   Link #199
sacundim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
I find it cute that Haruhi is peeved at Kyon molesting her with his eyes.
I don't think she's actually peeved—it's just putting on an act that she's peeved. Look at Haruhi's reaction in the opening scene of Sighs II, in the train, once she realizes Kyon is staring at her. She wants to be stared at by Kyon.

Her reaction to the matching blue hoodies is also probably related to this, though it's much harder to read. ("Oh, awesome, we look like we match!")

Last edited by sacundim; 2009-08-29 at 13:32.
Old 2009-08-29, 13:31   Link #200
sacundim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
It's a really cute shot. Love how Haruhi is crossing her arms over her breasts. I have to admit that I get a chuckle out of the poetic justice of she who constantly plays up Mikuru's sex appeal feeling ogled a bit herself for a change.
I'm not so sure if the arm-crossing really means that. She also does that gesture before the ogling happens:

Spoiler for Image from Sighs III:

So it could go either way. As I said in another post, Haruhi clearly wants Kyon to stare at her. What lines she might want Kyon not to cross are impossible to tell, given that we just don't know what's going through that head of hers.
Closed Thread